The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 October 2022, 06:22 PM   #4381
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
Another undeserved championship by RB. Exceeded spending budget for 2022, just like for 2021. Why doesn’t FIA react? F1 is sort of finished.
What do you mean by that?

Last year Ham kicked off Max from the track, and Max was in the hospital when Ham laughed at him after his disgusting "victory". Ham should have been disqualified at the very minimum. If there would have been a fair deceision, then Max could have an unbeatable advantage before the last race.

This year? Who else diserves the winning? Most wins, most points, what are you talking about?

Morover, FIA already stated, that the surpluses over the limit was not significant in the last year.
INC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 06:27 PM   #4382
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 06:32 PM   #4383
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I’m glad that CL had that penalty and RB won the championship in Suzuka! At least we don’t have to pretend that Ferrari still has a “mathematical chance” to win the championship LMAO! It was already over by Hungary. Ferrari can use the last few races to sort out their management and the drivers can learn how to not crack under pressure or find himself stuck in the gravel at every opportunity.

2023! Let’s go Charles! #CL16WDC2023
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 06:45 PM   #4384
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

So, going with some of the opinions here, regarding a certain, 'British Knight of the Track's' previous successes, I'm thinking, the HAM haters here, will also be of the opinion that, VER has also won the WDC's solely because he has 'the best' car?*

*Pending FIA inquiry into spend cap breaches.
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 07:12 PM   #4385
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
So, going with some of the opinions here, regarding a certain, 'British Knight of the Track's' previous successes, I'm thinking, the HAM haters here, will also be of the opinion that, VER has also won the WDC's solely because he has 'the best' car?*
I don't think, that is more then a prejudication that a MV "fan" should hate Hamilton. That's kind of a style, but not even true. I think, a lot of people could hate Hamilton just for himself. However, it's not me.

To be honest, this year Verstappen truly races in another league, as no one have a real chance to catch him. Neither Checco, nor Leclerc has any chance to do it. And to be honest, Checco and Leclerc has a magnificent race for #2 position in the championship, but also Sainz has a chance to be the second. This means in itself, that Ferrari's and Red Bull's cars are almost the same, thefore the only difference can be the driving knowledge of Verstappen.

In the last year, Mercedes caused so many damage and costs to Red Bull that these in itselfs could explain a surplus over the quota. Let me think. Button kicked out two Red Bulls, who got penalties(!) because they have to replace allmost all their cars. The formerly mentioned crash of Verstappen also made a huge costs for RB. The 50-50% collision in the UK also costed a lot for Red Bull.

So If I take out ONLY these incidents, then we can clearly see:

- it's not about the feelings for Hamilton. These are facts.
- if Red Bull could finish these races, neither Hamilton, nor Mercedes could have any chance to win the championship.
- if Red Bull should have not spend so much because of these incidents, then their cost cup should have been fine for sure.

[* even the deceision making is in progress, RB already stated that nothing is true about what can be read the media, and FIA also stated, that there was not so much problems, that requires a serious penalty]
Old 10 October 2022, 09:05 PM   #4386
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Here is hoping that they decimate the whole Ferrari Managment team, starting with Binotto.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 11:42 PM   #4387
77T
2024 Pledge Member

While we await the official FIA report, any claims one way or the other are just media speculation. However, a leak seems to have occurred to at least one outlet.

The delayed Oct. 5 deadline itself caused speculation since VER seemed poised to clinch the WDC at Suzuka. Chaotic ending with a penalty to LEC actually did that.

Now - any decision from the FIA will create buzz later today.

If Red Bull is found to have breached, then expect Horner to retort that it was a reasonable financial accounting matter where their bookkeeper erred, or the classification of certain expenses were subject to interpretation. Remember these teams employ many lawyers and accountants. Every rule and regulation is parsed to maximize any advantage to the teams benefit. “The Unfair Advantage”, if you will.

The amount of any overspending would be crucial in deciding whether RB’s 2021 title win would be adversely affected (as well as 2022 now).

Just popping the corn until official word is released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 12:27 AM   #4388
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Pole position in the dry and a walk in the park in a wet race. Masterclass drive by the now multiple WDC Max Verstappen who is yet to realize his full potential. Great racing behind him and enjoyed watching Ocon/Hamilton, Leclerc/Perez, Alonso/Vettel battles. The world feed did not show Alonso/Vettel last lap but if you have a chance, look it up on Youtube as it was epic with both crossing the finish line exactly at the same time!

I know Paul will disagree but the FIA is perhaps the most incompetent sporting group in the world. They make more mistakes and gaffs than Ferrari strategists and it's multiple gaffs per race weekend. F1 teams should really get together and think about ousting this group of clowns as they did about 12 years ago as the sport has long passed them by.

Here's a list of the issues just this weekend:

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/14490...at-the-gp.html
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 01:27 AM   #4389
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

FIA finds Red Bull to be in minor violation and AM to be procedural violation. No penalties announced yet. We'll have to wait to 2024 for sentencing, j/k
Old 11 October 2022, 02:31 AM   #4390
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
FIA finds Red Bull to be in minor violation and AM to be procedural violation. No penalties announced yet. We'll have to wait to 2024 for sentencing, j/k

As RB previously and the FIA announced today, the spending limit was exceeded by less than 5%, but RB already disputing this claim too.

Ergo, as I already mentioned, if Mercedes hadn't crashed RB's cars in a row in the last year, there wouldn't be a problem with the cost limit at all.

It follows that it has been proven that RB didn't break the rules regarding the developments, as they coudn't gain an advantage from the suprlus.
Old 11 October 2022, 03:27 AM   #4391
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

But, he's only winning, because he has the best car, isn't he?
Old 11 October 2022, 04:22 AM   #4392
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Max said as much in the post race interview giving much credit to this year's car. It's the Hamilton fans that can't grasp what should be a simple concept.
Old 11 October 2022, 05:05 AM   #4393
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Quote:
Max said as much in the post race interview giving much credit to this year's car. It's the Hamilton fans that can't grasp what should be a simple concept.
It's this exactly. I'm not a Max fan, but in this scenario, you have to give something to the drivers of said cars. George Russell is in the same car as Lewis, as was Bottas. Russell seemed to have the advantage over Lewis earlier this year, but that has changed. Why did Lewis win all those championships instead of Bottas?

Why didn't Perez beat Max this year? They're both in the same car. Look at how Alonso carried that crate of crap Ferrari on his back for 4 years trying to beat Vettel and the Red Bulls in 2010-2013.

The cars are drawn well or not. But they're nice, expensive paperweights without a driver. Congratulations Max!
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 06:18 AM   #4394
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's not as obvious as it was in the Mercedes-dominated era. To be honest, in this year, if Ferrari didn't ruin their own races, I think they would be very close to RB right now or even ahead. This means, that in this year RB doesn't have the best car, but only one of the best cars.

If you like, this year RB as a team and Max as a pilot will jointly win both the championships, while Leclerc and Ferrari jointly lost both of these. Therefore I think, that this is the year when the winning is not related to the cars, but to the drivers and the teams.
Old 11 October 2022, 09:06 AM   #4395
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agree, Ferrari was their own worst enemy with reliability issues and strategy errors. With the 2022 season in the books to some extent, let's hope for a great 2023.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 12:53 PM   #4396
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I know Paul will disagree but the FIA is perhaps the most incompetent sporting group in the world.
I dunno Philip…remember Miami?

“The FIA on Thursday tightened its ban on non-regulatory underwear and body piercings by making it part of official scrutineering, meaning such choices are subject to review by race officials.

Four-time champion Sebastian Vettel said he thought FIA was being petty and wondered if the rule was specific for Hamilton.”

When officials get VET to defend HAM it makes some wax poetic.

But seriously…
I defend good rules not bad people. Competitors make mistakes, Officials make mistakes. The ratio varies in all sports. The governance in F1 allows for Reviews and Appeals, of which none were filed by aggrieved parties at Suzuka. To me that says something.

Race Directors, Clerks of Course, Stewards, Technical Delegates, and everyone else in the 500+ cohort of Marshals of all stripes at each event have a chance to make mistakes. The same goes for the 3,000-12,000 Competitor team members both at the track and elsewhere.

In ‘sophisticated and technical’ sports these two factors govern the degree of complexity within the rules. The extent to which those rules can be sorted, sifted, and safely/fairly applied by humans under stress and time constraints are what fans expect.

Acceptance of the outcomes at the intersection of Official and Driver errors determines the degree of civilized thought in the sport itself.

In the end, everyone makes up their own minds what to believe. Some have more info than others - GAS made his point, the Stewards made theirs.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 10:48 PM   #4397
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
It's this exactly. I'm not a Max fan, but in this scenario, you have to give something to the drivers of said cars. George Russell is in the same car as Lewis, as was Bottas. Russell seemed to have the advantage over Lewis earlier this year, but that has changed. Why did Lewis win all those championships instead of Bottas?

Why didn't Perez beat Max this year? They're both in the same car. Look at how Alonso carried that crate of crap Ferrari on his back for 4 years trying to beat Vettel and the Red Bulls in 2010-2013.

The cars are drawn well or not. But they're nice, expensive paperweights without a driver. Congratulations Max!
Excellently stated!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
It's not as obvious as it was in the Mercedes-dominated era.

It is beyond painfully obvious.
Did you watch the same races we watched.....26 seconds ahead of Leclerc in the wet....that's not obvious? Over 26 laps? Checo bulldozing up to Leclerc...
No matter where Max was on the track in what race, he simply floated effortlessly to the front of the pack unchallenged. And you could tell how easy it was because even Checo asked his engineer "are you awake"....

Max is a superb driver, let's not underestimate that in the least but this is exactly what happens when you have a great driver AND a GREAT car.
This is where I expect all the Max fans to say the same as they did Lewis...which in their estimation it seems Lewis is a lack luster back of the pack driver who just by shear luck or the Queen's orders, wound up in the "best" car that autopiloted itself to victories. It's not that he almost won the championship his rookie year and won it the next,,because all lack luster drivers have such luck, right.

RB built the best machine this year(humble bow from me), and paired it with "one" of the better drivers on the grid. Verstappen is not in another league, his car is though. I'll consider Max in another league when he wins wheel to wheel with a competitor of similar machinery and he doesn't revert to crashing every time, and also not racing with a wingman who's sole purpose is just to aide in your wins.

The best F1 team won this year, and rightfully so, as it has been since the cars became engineering masterpiece prototypes.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 12:16 AM   #4398
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Did you watch the same races we watched.....26 seconds ahead of Leclerc in the wet....that's not obvious? Over 26 laps? Checo bulldozing up to Leclerc...
Do you really want to judge the cars performance by one heavy raining race?

The only reason why Max drove insane that he thought he needs one more pit stop for a new tire to gather 1 (one!) point for the fastest lap. This is what shows his mentality, as with this winning, it was clear that he will be the champion. However he didn't want to take this minimal risk, and wanted to win the championship now.

However, OK, let's think about the race.

In my opinion, in this race Ferrari ruined their own race again. For me that's what the only obvious thing. Let's see: Sainz was out in the first lap. Leclerc's wheels were completely ruined until the end of the race. However, even these conditions, Checco was unable to overtake, and it was only Leclerc's fault that he was not finished in P2. IF Leclerc doesn't fail in the last curve, MV would be NOT a champion.

Let us also don't forget, that there was no DRS, so it was an easy thing for Max to gain an advantage in the race, as the P2 driver was not able to use this option. If you saw the start, it was not clear which car is the better and it was a luck that Max could hold the P1.

Quote:
Max is a superb driver, let's not underestimate that in the least but this is exactly what happens when you have a great driver AND a GREAT car.
In this case, we are on the same side: As I told, that in this year RB is one of the best cars, but this car is NOT superior over the competitors, mostly over Ferrari. Let's think about several former races, and we can see, that Ferrari could easily win when they performed well as a team.

If we could take out MAX from the championship in theory, then no one could decide who will be a champion: Leclerc/Sainc/Perez or even Russel?! This kind of a tie is which is impossible with ONE superior car over the others.

Quote:
This is where I expect all the Max fans to say the same as they did Lewis...
I'm definitely not a Max fan, I simply appreciate his performance and incredible driving knowledge. Hamilton was also a great driver in his era, but it lasted as long as he had no real opponent, and when he had a huge luck in his bag. This luck was ran out for last year's final race, and that's all folks.

Let's see this years performance: To be honest, in a Mercedes Ham's performance it's more then deplorable mostly compared to Russel's incredible performance. As we can see, Mercedes should have ruin Russel's races in a row to let Ham gain an unfair advantage over his teammate. Just like in this race with the unnecessary double pit stop. How can it be possible with a 7 times world champion? It has nothing to do with Max, as it clearly shows that the former king is naked.

Quote:
Verstappen is not in another league, his car is though.
If it would be true, then Checco should always have hold the second place.

However it's not happens. Also not even true, that Max always wins, as Leclerc won three times, and Sainz also won, so Ferrari has a lots of possibily to win a race. It was their fault to drop at least three wins in this year. And let us do not forget, that this year Leclerc has the most pole position which is an impossible thing with a worse car.

Quote:
I'll consider Max in another league when he wins wheel to wheel with a competitor of similar machinery and he doesn't revert to crashing every time, and also not racing with a wingman who's sole purpose is just to aide in your wins.
Exactly that happened last year. And with my best respect, I have to say that what you have wrote is exactly fits for Ham with a single difference: When it happened to Ham, he lost the championship.
Old 12 October 2022, 01:08 AM   #4399
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The overtake in turn 1 by Verstappen on Leclerc is the stuff what makes a champion. That brave action on a wet track requires some real racing skills.
Old 12 October 2022, 02:10 AM   #4400
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I defend good rules not bad people. Competitors make mistakes, Officials make mistakes. The ratio varies in all sports. The governance in F1 allows for Reviews and Appeals, of which none were filed by aggrieved parties at Suzuka. To me that says something.

Race Directors, Clerks of Course, Stewards, Technical Delegates, and everyone else in the 500+ cohort of Marshals of all stripes at each event have a chance to make mistakes. The same goes for the 3,000-12,000 Competitor team members both at the track and elsewhere.

In ‘sophisticated and technical’ sports these two factors govern the degree of complexity within the rules. The extent to which those rules can be sorted, sifted, and safely/fairly applied by humans under stress and time constraints are what fans expect.

Acceptance of the outcomes at the intersection of Official and Driver errors determines the degree of civilized thought in the sport itself.

In the end, everyone makes up their own minds what to believe. Some have more info than others - GAS made his point, the Stewards made theirs.

Sorry, but I disagree and content the FIA is a joke of a sporting governing body with archaic rules that are not well thought and the sport has based them by long ago. The article I posted were things specific to the Japanese GP, but because a formal complaint wasn't filed does not excuse the things that happened. Let's not forget that the crane on track that killed Jules was at the same track in similar wet conditions. Let's also think back about a month ago at Monza when a tow truck was on track with cars still circulating. Unacceptable.

Then let's look a couple of rules the FIA imposed:
First, the engine penalties. Last year, Mercedes and others took extra P/U parts and components at certain races - not because they needed them, but becaus they were stockpiling them for later rounds. They also strategically took them at circuits that would not hurt them. That violates the spirit of the engine/tranny limit. Did the FIA fix that over the off season? No.

Now let's go equate that to the FIA Cost Cap controversy. Red Bull found they could go over the cap and incur a minor violation and spend up to 5% extra. It's no different than what Mercedes did with going over the engine/tranny rule and then taking the penalty. If we delve down into what is included in the cost cap vs. what is not, there are a lot of strange things. For example, Red Bull is spending money on employee lunches at their factory. That goes against the cost cap. How is that a competitive advantage? Yet, the FIA counts this.

There are many many other examples, but time is short and the list very long. My point is that the F1 teams need to address the specifics of their sport amongst themselves and cut the FIA out.
Old 12 October 2022, 09:13 AM   #4401
Mifune
Banned

I didn't hear ANYTHING about 10 car lengths this weekend when Hamilton was temporarily running in 1st place behind the pace car.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 10:48 AM   #4402
JoeJoeBobo
Banned

F1 has lost its way and is more spectacle now then sport. Combined with all the green energy mumbo jumbo it likely not be around in next 10 years anyway.

No one will actually get excited about an all electric F1 series flying around the world in fossil fuel guzzling aircraft.
JoeJoeBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 11:30 AM   #4403
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Formula E is a big failure. Seb Vettel has recently said that F1 should go back to naturally aspirated engines which raised a lot of eyebrows given his leanings toward the greenies, but when biofuels are taken into consideration, it makes sense.
Old 13 October 2022, 12:04 AM   #4404
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Formula E is a big failure. Seb Vettel has recently said that F1 should go back to naturally aspirated engines which raised a lot of eyebrows given his leanings toward the greenies, but when biofuels are taken into consideration, it makes sense.
They sound like vacuum cleaners. Modern F1 cars only sound good at idle and leaving the pit lane. After that, they almost sound like vacuum cleaners themselves. I can recall the days of needing ear protection, no longer.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 12:13 AM   #4405
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe FE needs to add speaker drivers to the cars and pump through simulated exhaust sounds. Could easily do it through the venue's speakers and video broadcast.

F1 could also easily add sound effects of real engine sounds based on engine data. Car manufacturers are already doing this, so F1 could adopt the technology being used by auto manufacturers. If done well, which is technologically easy, video viewers would never know.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 13 October 2022, 12:28 AM   #4406
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Maybe FE needs to add speaker drivers to the cars and pump through simulated exhaust sounds. Could easily do it through the venue's speakers and video broadcast.

F1 could also easily add sound effects of real engine sounds based on engine data. Car manufacturers are already doing this, so F1 could adopt the technology being used by auto manufacturers. If done well, which is technologically easy, video viewers would never know.
That would be worse. I tend to agree with a poster above, I think F1 is dying a slow and painful death. Almost exclusively funded drivers, few completely overpaid and others struggling to get by. I just cannot see how all of it is sustainable.
Old 13 October 2022, 01:24 AM   #4407
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
They sound like vacuum cleaners. Modern F1 cars only sound good at idle and leaving the pit lane. After that, they almost sound like vacuum cleaners themselves. I can recall the days of needing ear protection, no longer.
At least the circuits are cleaner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg th-2619432510.jpeg (18.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 13 October 2022, 01:58 AM   #4408
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
At least the circuits are cleaner.
Well played.
Old 13 October 2022, 02:19 AM   #4409
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
That would be worse. I tend to agree with a poster above, I think F1 is dying a slow and painful death. Almost exclusively funded drivers, few completely overpaid and others struggling to get by. I just cannot see how all of it is sustainable.
Agreed, and why I see F1 more as Sports Entertainment nowadays. i'd rather hang out with the mechanics than the drivers, but that's me.

ADDED: For me, the 2022 cars are boring and bloated. The best part of F1 today is its ability to manage bandwidth and data. LIV Golf could surely use their multi-video stream capabilities, and I'd enjoy seeing the gear it takes and control surfaces. In a sense, the real F1 action is in the broadcasting and data from the cars.

Old 14 October 2022, 04:25 PM   #4410
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
The overtake in turn 1 by Verstappen on Leclerc is the stuff what makes a champion. That brave action on a wet track requires some real racing skills.
Stuff what makes champion?

I though he was very lucky to make it.

Why would a supposedly ‘top class’ driver take a chance on a first turn outside pass with so many laps to go.

But first or last lap makes no difference to MV.

It’s in his nature and with his aggression good luck to any driver who is leading the race with him right behind on the final lap. Especially with a leg up from a safety car.

Just ask Charles et al.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote