The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 June 2012, 09:00 AM   #1
ddnyc77

Click Spring Journey.....

Lets start with the situation, I whacked my sub just right and caused the bezel to pop off. No damage I had all the pieces except for the small click spring. I am in NYC should not be hard to acquire one of those right?

Tourneau 53rd st service dept - The service rep looks at the watch and tells me she thinks this will need to go to Rolex. I could not hide my disbelief and stated that any service department should have such a simple part. She takes it in the back to ask the service technician. She comes back shortly and says it will be 2 weeks bla bla bla and has the paperwork in hand ready to fill out, arrogant. Like I'm really going to let them keep it for two weeks over a click spring. I take it back and tell her I don't understand the point of their service department when RSC is right around the corner, completely pointless as is usually the case at Tourneau. Next I try the new Rolex boutique around the corner (owned by Wempe).

Rolex Boutique 53rd and 5th - Go to the service department and speak with Mr Behr. He tells me since the boutique is brand new they do not have many parts in stock yet. He checks and unfortunately does not have the part but tells me to walk to the Wempe store one block up and assures me that the main store will have the part. Even though he did not have the part he was very respectful and helpful, +1 for Wempe.

Wempe 55th and 5th - I walk in and spoke to Mr. Cruz the Master Watchmaker, no middle man or someone between you and the watchmaker, which is nice and same at the Rolex Boutique. I explain that I was sent from the Rolex Boutique and what the issue was. He said no problem and would be happy to help. We discuss watches for a few minutes made a couple jokes about how I almost broke my watch etc... After about 10 minutes he was done, he also lubricated the bezel teeth so now it turns much smoother than it ever did. He also put a little grease on the crown threads. When I ask him how much he says nothing, don't worry about it. I told him my journey to get this done and he explained how important service is to supporting a sale and even though other stores may have similar policies as Wempe it is not always adhered to at the staff level. Regardless, I did not expect so much leg work for a simple part but I was happy to find my way to Wempe. When and if I start buying from ADs I am going to Wempe first.
ddnyc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 09:04 AM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

An interesting tale, and one that doesn't surprise me in the least.

Glad it's sorted and working again....Watchout for those walls!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 11:03 AM   #3
gslaskin

Congrats on getting the fix done right. And for free.
gslaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Interesting....
Trouble15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 12:14 PM   #5
HunterST
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675/3, 79090
Interesting story - not surprising to hear the story about Tourneau. I've had similar experiences with them in Los Angeles. The reps know next to nothing about the watches and as a default recommend full-service or trading the piece in before it becomes undervalued. Several of my friends have had similar experiences. I needed a simple end link replaced and they insisted that this was only possible with a $575 full service. Absurd.

I drove a short distance to an AD in Beverly Hills called Geary's and they had the part, installed it and sent me on my way in less than 30 minutes.

It really is all about service.
Old 10 June 2012, 12:20 PM   #6
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Wempe's a nice place
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Nice story. It's all worth it at the end!
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 04:47 PM   #8
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Good to know you received good service at Wempe, but why not go directly to RSC to begin with?
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 05:15 PM   #9
ddnyc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuloa View Post
Good to know you received good service at Wempe, but why not go directly to RSC to begin with?
Funny you say that... Actually when I asked the woman at Tourneau why don't I just go to RSC since you don't have any parts? Her response was "go ahead, but they are closed today" because it's Saturday. I knew this which is why I didn't go there to begin with. I did not expect such a simple part to be such a big deal. This just reaffirms that I need to find a good watchmaker, I like to buy online and use RSC for services intervals, however even they can be finicky with some stuff so it is good to have a watchmaker for some stuff....
ddnyc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 05:31 PM   #10
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
When I bought my 16610 I had it checked at a Wempe store in Colongne.
They charged me € 0.00 and told me that is was sold by another Wempe store when new.
Did the same thing a few years before with my PAM 86
Secondhand . . . I take my precautions as much as possible.
Even if I had to pay . . I would do the same

So all I can say . . . thanks Wempe !

HAGWe all

And a Happy Fathersday !

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 06:32 PM   #11
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnyc77 View Post
Lets start with the situation, I whacked my sub just right and caused the bezel to pop off. No damage I had all the pieces except for the small click spring. I am in NYC should not be hard to acquire one of those right?

Tourneau 53rd st service dept - The service rep looks at the watch and tells me she thinks this will need to go to Rolex. I could not hide my disbelief and stated that any service department should have such a simple part. She takes it in the back to ask the service technician. She comes back shortly and says it will be 2 weeks bla bla bla and has the paperwork in hand ready to fill out, arrogant. Like I'm really going to let them keep it for two weeks over a click spring. I take it back and tell her I don't understand the point of their service department when RSC is right around the corner, completely pointless as is usually the case at Tourneau. Next I try the new Rolex boutique around the corner (owned by Wempe).

Rolex Boutique 53rd and 5th - Go to the service department and speak with Mr Behr. He tells me since the boutique is brand new they do not have many parts in stock yet. He checks and unfortunately does not have the part but tells me to walk to the Wempe store one block up and assures me that the main store will have the part. Even though he did not have the part he was very respectful and helpful, +1 for Wempe.

Wempe 55th and 5th - I walk in and spoke to Mr. Cruz the Master Watchmaker, no middle man or someone between you and the watchmaker, which is nice and same at the Rolex Boutique. I explain that I was sent from the Rolex Boutique and what the issue was. He said no problem and would be happy to help. We discuss watches for a few minutes made a couple jokes about how I almost broke my watch etc... After about 10 minutes he was done, he also lubricated the bezel teeth so now it turns much smoother than it ever did. He also put a little grease on the crown threads. When I ask him how much he says nothing, don't worry about it. I told him my journey to get this done and he explained how important service is to supporting a sale and even though other stores may have similar policies as Wempe it is not always adhered to at the staff level. Regardless, I did not expect so much leg work for a simple part but I was happy to find my way to Wempe. When and if I start buying from ADs I am going to Wempe first.
I'm glad it worked out. I believe I visited that Wempe store in 2000, with only good experience. Through the years I have made sure to talk to the watchmakers that service my watches. Now I am always met with a professional attitude and always offered good service.

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 09:37 PM   #12
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Sounds like you know where to go from now on