The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 March 2015, 09:26 PM   #1
Archduke

Latest SOTC

Photo shows the latest SOTC. As ever, thoughts and opinions welcome!

The DateJust 116234 has very quickly become my everyday watch. It is the perfect size for me and covers dressy and sporty perfectly. I wear it with suits, with business casual, and with jeans. Realistically I think this is as dressy a watch as I need. The superjubilee is great for hiding swirlies etc. I only have two very minor niggles with this watch. There is the worry that I might mark the WG bezel so I’m tend to take it off when doing jobs around the house. And occasionally the silver dial looks a bit bland but I think it does work overall.

The SBCA001 is a new addition. It replaces a G-SHOCK GW-M5610-1ER which was illegible underwater and which jumped around on the wrist when running, so wasn’t much use for it’s intended purpose as my gym / holiday beater. I’m very happy with the SBCA001. It wears great on one of Eddie’s NATOs, has 100m WR, and doesn’t get in the way when I’m active.

I seem to be moving away from big watches and from divers (I don’t dive) and settling on 36mm as the perfect size.

The SBCM023 is a fantastic watch but too nice for a beater, but IMHO not nice enough for smart casual given the other watches in the collection, so will probably be flipped.

The ceramic SubDate is currently out of favour too. The clasp is perfect, but increasingly I think the watch is just too big for me. I’ve put it away for a while and come back to it, and still feel it’s too big. Currently thinking about swapping this for a 36mm SS DateJust 116200 with blue baton dial and roulette date wheel like the one below as a more casual partner to my 116234.

So I’m thinking my ideal collection will be as follows:

DateJust 116234 with fluted bezel, superjubilee bracelet and silver baton dial for dressy and office wear;

DateJust 116200 with domed bezel, oyster bracelet and blue baton dial for office and casual wear;

Spirit Military Quartz SBCA001 for beater duties.

Any thought about swapping the SubDate for another DateJust welcome. Has anyone else done this?
Archduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2015, 09:36 PM   #2
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
If you are losing interest in a piece, by all means, trade it or do whatever you need to get something you will wear. No sense in having a $9K watch sit in a box because you don't like it.
Old 29 March 2015, 11:21 PM   #3
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Nice collection! I love Subs but by all means, move it if it doesnt't get wrist time.
Take a look at the 36mm Oyster Perpetuals as well. A great alternative to go with your DJ. All brushed Oyster bracelet and clean dial without the date. Can play the sport or dress role.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2015, 11:30 PM   #4
ajg1960
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / ND Sub
yup--no point in having the Sub if it sits in the house. Flip it for whatever will get wrist time
ajg1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2015, 11:33 PM   #5
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Nice collection. If you're not feeling the sub anymore (sacrilege ) I would move it for what you want, but I think you're wise to give it some time. No need for any sudden moves.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2015, 02:18 AM   #6
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great collection!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Evo6
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR55131675BB58
Latest SOTC

116000! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428025765.240283.jpg
Love my R2D2!

Or a 36mm Explorer 1 if you want to keep a sub vibe, I've been tempted by one for a while.
Evo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 03:38 PM   #8
rjstuf001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Made in Suisse
If you put the SubC away for a few days then try it on, it will ALWAYS feel too big if your daily wearer is a DJ. This approach is counterproductive.

I say wear it daily for a week or two, and if the size still bothers you, then flip it.
rjstuf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 07:52 PM   #9
Archduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstuf001 View Post
If you put the SubC away for a few days then try it on, it will ALWAYS feel too big if your daily wearer is a DJ. This approach is counterproductive.

I say wear it daily for a week or two, and if the size still bothers you, then flip it.
Size has always bothered my tbh ... It sits too high on the wrist and the lugs stick out too much ... It's just the clasp that makes it wearable.
Archduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 08:22 PM   #10
darwen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
My watch tastes tend to change over time. I started off with small watches (1st was a 34mm Air King) then moved gradually bigger.

Just because your taste at the moment is for smaller watches it doesn't mean your taste won't shift back to larger watches later.

Personally I would never trade a sub. It is a truly classic watch design which all other diving watches now pay homage to - even your seiko.

I agree with the previous post - wear the sub for a week or two and then see how you feel.
Pinion Axis Bronze, Axis steel Dawn, R1969.
Mont Blanc Nicolas Rieussec
darwen is offline   Reply With Quote