The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2015, 02:12 AM   #91
SeaDweller1220
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, Daytona, GMT-C
Looking at my name and avitar you can figure out I do like the SD.
It was my first Rolex I bought 9+ years ago. I went in to get a Sub date but really fell in love with the SD and at $4250 in 2005 it was the same price as the Sub. Now SD is what $2000 more than the Sub C?
Will never trade/flip it as it was a personal purchase as the commercial states "A crown for every achievement."
Unfortunately it does not get too much wrist time anymore so it sits in the safe.

Just visited my AD and they have 5 SD4000 in stock, his complaint "most people buy the Sub date for $2000 less."
If your interested the AD is located in Northern Delaware right off I95, might get a discount? No sales tax.

Currently planning and patiently waiting to get the DSSD Blue as I have 8" wrists and I tried on the DSSD Black dial and it fits really nicely, but I want a blue dial to round out my current collection.

Just My Opinion!
As for honeymoon fading?? Doubt it, but that is why there are so many different models for us to chose from.
Cheaper to Keep Her!!!!
Old 31 March 2015, 03:22 AM   #92
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDweller1220 View Post
. . . Just visited my AD and they have 5 SD4000 in stock, his complaint "most people buy the Sub date for $2000 less." . . .
If Rolex discontinued the SD, it would be interesting to see how it would affect the demand.

Be nice if they offered the SD in a similar blue dial as the Deep Sea. It's a beautiful dial.
El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 03:37 AM   #93
psv
"TRF" Member

One of the best modern Rolex references IMO. The price (new and used) is right, between the Submariner and the DSSD.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 04:40 AM   #94
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
One of the best modern Rolex references IMO. The price (new and used) is right, between the Submariner and the DSSD.
But the watch isn't to Joe Public, far too similar to the Subc, should have been 42mm.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 04:46 AM   #95
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I think Rolex made the watch perfectly. I think it was home run as far as updates to a classic. I could have even seen them upsize it to 42mm if they really wanted, but I think it's great where it is. Unfortunately being 40mm I am not sure it's worth the premium to the general population. There are Sea Dweller lovers, those who hate the cyclops, and those who really need the extra depth protection. I just don't think the remainder are willing to pay a huge premium for those features. Not saying that's a good or bad move. Just an individual choice.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 04:47 AM   #96
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
But the watch isn't to Joe Public, far too similar to the Subc, should have been 42mm.
I think it looks perfect at 40mm but I agree. For that price differential, there should have been"something else" to set it apart. A small size upgrade might bring it closer.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 11:12 AM   #97
zacharyjames
Banned

I wanted to like it but sub c with no date won for me...at 3k less and looking like a modern 5512 you couldn't tempt me with any other sub derivative...I tried the seadweller on but prefer the proportions of the sub c...
zacharyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 11:17 AM   #98
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I believe it would be more successful with a classic bezel.
This!
Tridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 12:45 PM   #99
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I really disagree with the notion that it should have been bigger. Rolex classic size is 40mm. If you don't want classic, don't buy Rolex.

I would buy the Explorer II in white dial in a heartbeat if it was 40mm instead of 42.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 01:32 PM   #100
Puffy
"TRF" Member

lacking the domed crystal makes it a bit bland but opinions vary
Old 31 March 2015, 03:53 PM   #101
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
lacking the domed crystal makes it a bit bland but opinions vary
Still loving mine (lots) but yes if I had to pick one thing to change on the 116600 it would be a domed crystal!

Size and balance is perfect and I may be in the minority here but I prefer the Sub/SD glidelock over the DSSD.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 03:57 PM   #102
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Love my dssd

Best modern rolex there ia
Old 31 March 2015, 04:05 PM   #103
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Love my dssd

Best modern rolex there ia
Yeah great watch, for me a little to top heavy (not on feel just look) but no one can deny its a techincal work of art!

For me it is close between the SD and DSSD, wish the SD had a domed crystal and on the flip wish the DSSD was a little thinner or maybe not so much taper on the bracelet, but one thing is for sure you can't go wrong with either

If I had the funds I'd have a 114060 on a nato, 116600 on oyster and the 116660 on RubberB now that would be a great diver lineup.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 04:13 PM   #104
GoldSub
"TRF" Member

Nice thickness and good solid bracelet, oh yeah no cyclop too
GoldSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 04:20 PM   #105
penfold
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't agree that it's bland but definitely more subtle than the submariner and DSSD. I wear my DSSD on a RubberB as I find it the most comfortable arrangement. Enjoy it for brief periods but too much for regular daily wear in my case. Not sure whether to pop a nato on the older 16600 as I find the rattly bracelets an irritation now I'm used to the new bracelets and glidelock adjustment. I've just bought an SD4000 and I'm very happy with it. In fact it's the most comfortable of my divers to wear. I'm looking at my other watches and wondering when am I ever going to wear them?
penfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 04:22 PM   #106
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I was just in the market and strongly considered the SD 4000. Ended up with the 114060 as the $$$ was somewhat of an issue and the 114060 just seemed classic to me. I have a few Panerai to wear if I want a larger watch on my wrist. SD is a really nice watch and I understand why folks here love it.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 02:37 AM   #107
Andyp1973
"TRF" Member

I've had a confirmed delivery date on one of these for next Friday. It's through a UK grey dealer who gets them from Europe. On the current exchange rate it works out at £5,900 brand new with international warranty. I'm more than happy with that price.
Andyp1973 is offline   Reply With Quote