The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 April 2015, 02:40 AM   #1
Sperry
"TRF" Member

NYC diamond district for pre-owned Rolex selection?

Philly has it's Jewelers Row on Sansom between 7th and 8th. Most jewelers stocking Rolex will be here or perhaps on 8th just north of Sansom.

Is the NYC equivalent their Diamond District?

The Diamond District is located on West 47 th Street between Fifth and the Avenue of the Americas ( Sixth Avenue ) in midtown Manhattan

Thanks!
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 02:52 AM   #2
Banned

Not sure but if you buy online you will surely save thousands, if you're into that sort of thing.
997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 02:57 AM   #3
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
It's harder to verify used items by buying online. One would have to be very confident in the integrity of the seller.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 02:58 AM   #4
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Just about every city has an area that is made up of jewelers that open up shop next to each other and call it the "diamond district"

The Diamond district in NYC is not that. Over 90% of all diamonds sold in the US go through the diamond district in NYC. There are retailers on the ground level that sell at prices that cannot be beat. There are also a ton of grey watch dealers too.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 03:09 AM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Diamond district has both good and shady businesses next to each other, it is difficult to distinguish between them without having an intimate knowledge. I would not feel comfortable coming in off the street to buy there. I have mostly seen elevated prices for the watches sold in the diamond district.

As an alternative there are also many ADs and boutique watch stores clustered together from Madison to 5ave in the 50s.
Old 4 April 2015, 05:54 AM   #6
TheDraftsman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4000
I have never really had a good feeling about buying a used Rolex in the Diamond District and in the end I always thought the prices weren't that great anyways. Now, if you were looking for a well worn Rolex with no paperwork then the Diamond District is your place. Especially, if you were then willing to bring it across town and drop it off at Rolex for an overhaul.
Old 4 April 2015, 06:33 AM   #7
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

I've shopped there. It's fun if you know exactly what you want, how much it should cost and the ins and out of the particular model. Lots of dealers there all competing so you can find some good deals. My caveat is to watch out for over polishing and aftermarket dials.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 06:34 AM   #8
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
They seem to be able to polish anything to make it look good. Be very careful, try to find someone you trust that has experience with them.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 06:37 AM   #9
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
Buy lots of "non watch" jewelry on 47th for the wife but never been moved to pull the trigger on a Rolex from anyone there. Prices & quality not even close to any of our trusted sellers here. One standout would be if you're interested in Panerai, there's a guy that's in one of the exchanges (Gary Jemal, I think 23 West 47th) that has nice stuff from time-to-time and prices it well. He's not always there but you can search on line under his name or Jemwatch & contact him and find out when he's around
Mfrankel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 06:48 AM   #10
Sperry
"TRF" Member

ray wu sells on timezone and seems to have excellent used watches. Either unfinished or serviced pretty well. I have not asked him yet, but figured he had a storefront, and thought I'd make it a day trip. Just to clap eyeballs on the actual product. Run them through my lascivious fingers.

My peeves are many. Endlinks that are not tight (excessive wear) and nearly any polishing of the watch body. Missing links piss me off. Link screw pins that are not flush with the sides of the bracelet in a watch advertised as "never worn" also leave me scratching my head (it has had links removed and reinstalled).

I've a couple grails in mind. At least, I might, if I see them.
Old 4 April 2015, 06:54 AM   #11
Mellowgc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C, SS Daytona
Purchase at you own risk...

... they are very shady.
Mellowgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 06:55 AM   #12
4srolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gears in motion
When Wempe didn't have the BLNR instock the diamond district had a couple in the window. One was asking $9,300 & $9,500. SRP from AD is $8,950

When people ask how was your day? I tell them: "Same circus just different clowns!"
4srolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 06:56 AM   #13
shapiroko
"TRF" Member

http://www.jckonline.com/2011/09/15/...rfeit-judgment
shapiroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 07:30 AM   #14
Rolexvin
"TRF" Member

You can check your prices there, and if you buy you can have it check for authenticity at the RSC which is not that far away.

There is a guy on 57th st. He has a good selection but once you are in the store, they do not let you out easy :)
Rolexvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 07:46 AM   #15
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexvin View Post
.. and if you buy you can have it check for authenticity at the RSC which is not that far away.
...:)

backwards.
Old 4 April 2015, 08:43 AM   #16
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
You can find good deals there if you do your homework and are very careful. Most of the dealers there will bargain with you, but you must be knowledgeable about what you're looking at. Many of the dealers will have no problem taking advantage of the uninformed. Good luck.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 08:53 AM   #17
nnigel46
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me do my thing
i brought my sub and day-date from 47th street store called watch your time and my friend also brought 5 watches and no problem ever over 4yrs of buying and everytime i go to trade i get close to what i payed minus 500$ or so off what i payed.............41 west 47th st
nnigel46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 08:54 AM   #18
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDraftsman View Post
I have never really had a good feeling about buying a used Rolex in the Diamond District and in the end I always thought the prices weren't that great anyways. Now, if you were looking for a well worn Rolex with no paperwork then the Diamond District is your place. Especially, if you were then willing to bring it across town and drop it off at Rolex for an overhaul.
completely untrue

There are far more brand new, never worn watches going through the diamond district than used. It's understandable if some are unsure or not confident in shopping there but there are no shady deals or fakes coming or going out of there, period... Just do your homework before you go
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 09:16 AM   #19
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
completely untrue

There are far more brand new, never worn watches going through the diamond district than used. It's understandable if some are unsure or not confident in shopping there but there are no shady deals or fakes coming or going out of there, period... Just do your homework before you go
This. It's guerrilla shopping for sure, but I've never heard of fakes on 47th street. Disregard the sticker prices, they're all marked up for tourists. Know the going price, and be prepared to haggle big time. Once you try to walk out, the prices start to melt away. Never buy from the first place you visit. You'll see just about every Rolex model imaginable.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 09:53 AM   #20
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Wow, I just "walked" up W47th via GoogleStreetView. It'd take several hours to "look around". At least.

Quote:
You'll see just about every Rolex model imaginable.
That's what I'm hoping for. The models I like are discontinued but still surface, never worn, clasp still tight.
Old 4 April 2015, 11:00 AM   #21
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I love 47th street. Simply love the place. When I'm in town and my wife has something else to do, I go straight to diamond district. Had a very good deal once with Element in Time there. Very nice guys.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote