The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 December 2017, 01:19 AM   #1
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
Rolex 14060/M Submariner: Dial and inserts versions

I've just came across a very interesting read comparing the variants of 16610LV and it appears that there are 8(!) variants produced in a very short time span:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20759...ary+Submariner

(Hope is ok to post links to external forum)

Some very subtle differences mark the different versions. I've started to dig in for similar info regarding the 14060 versions as I found out that the watch that I own a F-serial 14060M have a Fat Four bezel insert exactly as in the some LV variants (e.g. Mark 1 and Mark 2).

It appears that Rolex used the Fat Four bezel inserts on certain Submariner models produced in 2003/4 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Submariner watch.

More info /confirmation of the above will be appreciated!

More interestingly, on some dial variants of the 14060M the Swiss Made (below 6 o'clock) index spans over 5 minute ticks and on some over 3 minute ticks.

I know, to some people these sort of details are quite boring and uneccessary but I love them - they make me appreciate the Rolex watches even more!

I am not sure about the oval O in 'Rolex' aspect. Is there an info source which compares the different 14060 Mark versions similar to the one provided for the LV?

More info and different pictures will be much appreciated. If such source is unavailable let's start a repository:

Here is mine, F-serial 14060M:

1. Fat Four bezel insert
2. 3 ticks

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 04:51 AM   #2
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

No one?

Old 21 June 2018, 01:53 AM   #3
2024 Pledge Member

These details do matter to some buyers of the black bezel Subs. However, in the case of the LV, the hype is due to rarity and the Flat Four (not fat four) typically only being found on the Y9 and early F serial numbers.

Your Sub is a great example that some would find desirable if they care about dial and bezel insert details versus simply buying a 14060M just to have one. The font used in "Submariner" and flat four bezel on a Super Luminova watch is a great combination.

That's why I say this stuff matters to some but not all. I'm a geek for typographic details but not everyone cares as much.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 05:04 AM   #4
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
These details do matter to some buyers of the black bezel Subs. However, in the case of the LV, the hype is due to rarity and the Flat Four (not fat four) typically only being found on the Y9 and early F serial numbers.

Your Sub is a great example that some would find desirable if they care about dial and bezel insert details versus simply buying a 14060M just to have one. The font used in "Submariner" and flat four bezel on a Super Luminova watch is a great combination.

That's why I say this stuff matters to some but not all. I'm a geek for typographic details but not everyone cares as much.
Thanks for answering, I find these little details fascinating! Precisely such information makes these hobby so pleasurable, not just the aspect of owning the certain watch.

Yes, I understand the hype for the very limited flat four production run Kermits. All the 5 digit LVs are stunning and no wonder their prices recently exploded. On a side-note, it would be interesting to see if the LVc will follow suit as at some point this reference will be discontinued and I don't think that there are too many Hulks out there compared to the produced LNs.

On the flat four 16610 and 14060 variants: it appears that the bezel inserts were produced for much longer period than the LV.

I am referring to:
http://thegreengmthand.com/about/use...lex-knowledge/

[The factory flat four inserts] "had been the around for the early 16610 models for more than a decade, but lasted only a few months on the 16610LV, making the mark 1 LV an extremely collectible and desired timepiece. "

I think this statement is valid also for the 14060s (that it has been produced for a decade + )

I would be interested to know when the first flat four were made for the black bezel Subs and when they were discontinued?

037, can you please describe in more details what do you mean by the "Submariner" font?

I think now as you pointed out, I notice some differences of my two liner with the more modern examples but not so sure.

Thanks!

Old 21 June 2018, 08:59 AM   #5
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
2006 Z serial
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 33E0C711-3BA3-4327-9C96-D6359C3D4E42.jpeg (140.8 KB, 875 views)
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 09:07 AM   #6
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
"k7......."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06477r.JPG (228.3 KB, 879 views)

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 09:18 AM   #7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimoozaabi View Post
037, can you please describe in more details what do you mean by the "Submariner" font?
I'm mobile right now but when I get some time on my computer I'll post a few examples. The two posts above mine show the more rounded version of the Submariner typeface. Your watch matches what Rolex ended up using on the SD4K and it's one of my favorites.

Sub, SD and GMT dials have had countless variants over the years. Same goes for the bezel inserts. Some look better than others. The hard part can be finding a watch with all of them or sourcing the parts to build what you want.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 04:27 PM   #8
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
"k7......."
Interesting... Thanks for posting!

For that gorgeous K-serial, what I notice (at first glance)

Flat four insert
'Swiss made' over five ticks
Rounded 'O' in Rolex (?)

The dial type and bezel font corresponds to Mk1 LV

Old 21 June 2018, 04:31 PM   #9
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
2006 Z serial
Thanks!

Yours is pointed four, three ticks. Elongated O (I think), standard Submariner typeface - 37, hopefully will provide some info - so watch this space :)

It would be interesting to see the evolution of the 14060m, I will make an excel spreadsheet to note the differences, just need a good/critical mass of pics with the serial letter.

Please keep them coming!

Old 21 June 2018, 04:42 PM   #10
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Ser U dial only SWISS

the first Luminova

Gerry62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 05:59 AM   #11
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
Thanks!

Yours is pointed four, three ticks. Elongated O (I think), standard Submariner typeface - 37, hopefully will provide some info - so watch this space :)

It would be interesting to see the evolution of the 14060m, I will make an excel spreadsheet to note the differences, just need a good/critical mass of pics with the serial letter.

Please keep them coming!

Here are some more pics if it helps - I'd take more for you but its off at Rikki's Spa for the moment
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_2.jpeg (228.4 KB, 782 views)
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 05:42 AM   #12
Senorx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060M
I was just going to post about the variations of the 14060/14060M dial and insert. Being a new owner of a 14060M Z-serial, I’ve been on a rampage looking at pictures of the 14060M reference. What can y’all tell me about the rounded “S” and flat “S” in the Submariner font variations?
Senorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 11:53 PM   #13
Senorx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060M
Bump.
Senorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 07:14 AM   #14
GarbanzoNegro
"TRF" Member

2003 Y

Look forward to hearing more about different dials etc
GarbanzoNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 02:09 PM   #15
21gunss
"TRF" Member

Do you guys notice that the “2” and “5” in 20 and 50 hashmark is different between the flat 4 and non-flat 4 bezel? What a subtle difference!
21gunss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2021, 01:32 AM   #16
Alexxonvaldez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Another subtle difference I noticed while I was paying a visit to an AD in Paris who showed me the Rolex's spare parts catalog with the actual service dial (n°1) :

1. The notorious "Fat Font Long F" also called the "Long Good F" (2007-).
IOOOFt=3OOm
No serif.
"O" instead of "0".

2. The "Uneven" or "Serif" small "ft" dial (beginning with V serial 2007-2011)
1000ft = 300m
serif "T" all over, even in "oyster perpetual" at 12 o'clock.

3. The "Even, Thin no-serif" small "ft" dial (beginning with G serial, 2009-2012)
1000ft = 300 m
No serif but thiner printings and an even spacing "ft = 3"

It appears Rolex granted the 3 different dials to the Subs, all along the production, but only the first one is still produced.

Fonts and dial dispositions pretty much stick to the 16600 SD dial evolution... but anti-clockwise : fatter to thinner and vice versa.
Alexxonvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 11:48 PM   #17
drdanthefisherman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750 Matte dial
Throwing my 2004 14060M with a "frog foot" style coronet into the mix. Only seen one other 14060M with it. :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-03-15 at 14.43.51.jpeg (206.4 KB, 241 views)
drdanthefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 12:52 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
No one?

Well in the real world seeing dials are made in 3 different factories now all owned by Rolex.There always have been and always will be variations of most all Rolex dials much like its been over the past 50 years.But today mainly via loupe mania dial checking by today's WIS type these tiny variations are noticed.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote