The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 March 2018, 10:29 AM   #1
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Prodigal son returns...

Hello friends! It has been many years since I've posted to TRF. In short, my focus turned from watches to cars, and so did my forum/posting activity.

Recently, a friend of mine caught the vintage bug. His illness spread to me, and I again find myself itching to add a vintage Rolex to my modest collection (I still have a Mk I Red 1680, a WG 1803, and a 16610). I started looking at current prices out on the internet and was absolutely shocked to see how much they have risen over the past 5+ years. Back when I was following the market, a "regular" white 1680 could be purchased for around $6k. No longer! While I am happy about the increased value of the watches I currently own, I am sad to see how much it will cost me to add new watches to my group!

Anyway, valuation is one of the reasons I am writing this post. Out of curiosity, I checked around to see what other Mk 1 Red Subs are selling for and I saw several with asking prices north of $40k (amazing!). This got me thinking I really need to secure "agreed value" protection for at least that watch from my insurer. To do this, I first need to get the watch appraised. As I've been out of the watch game so long, and now live on the west coast, I have no idea where to go to get such an appraisal.

I'm sure many of you have obtained appraisals for your watches for insurance purposes. For those of you who have, could you please let me know if there is someone you would recommend? My preference would be to find someone local (Los Angeles), but I am willing to ship the watch to a well-respected appraiser out there if I must.

Thanks in advance for your help! Looking forward to spending more time on TRF again.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 10:38 AM   #2
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Welcome back !!!
I have Jewelers Mutual, don’t know if they
insure vintage or not... as far as an appraisal
I’m sure there’s a vintage guy out there in
your area who’s capable and willing ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 10:55 AM   #3
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Welcome back! Let’s see some car picks from your time away!
jbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote