The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 1 February 2018, 05:27 PM   #1
moyski
"TRF" Member

Montblanc Meisterstruck Ultra Black rant

The phrase “you gotta pay to play” has been frequently thrown around the watch collecting hobby lately. I guess it also applies to Montblanc pens.

I got myself the Meisterstruck Ultra Black ball point pen almost a year ago to complement my Meisterstruck Classique. Surprised one day to find a chip on the cap exactly on the Montblanc logo. The pen was used very carefully and was never dropped on a hard surface. At least from what I recall. Called the local service center to inquire and order a replacement cap. Very surprised to find out it will take 3-4 months to order. Even more surprising is the $126 price tag for the replacement cap. Contemplating now if it’s worth replacing.

Maybe someone here can point me to a more affordable and faster solution? I like the pen very much for it’s understated design and would be keeping it until I can’t write anymore.

The $125 culprit!
moyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 10:19 PM   #2
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Don't call, go. If that does not get you the desired result contact the Texas Service center directly and send them pictures of the issue.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 08:02 PM   #3
jimbones43
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately this doesn’t surprise me.
They tend to be brittle from my personal experience.
Good luck with sorting it out.
jimbones43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 08:14 PM   #4
Lol-x
Facilitator

A friend of mine had something very similar to your pen.

I would always joke that it was a 'fake' because none of my 'real' MB's ever had that happen. He was definitely crapped off about the replacement cost and never got it fixed.....

Unfortunately, several months ago he lost/had stolen his pen. I feel sorry for him now. I wish he still had it. Look after your pens and they will look after you, that's what I say

PS: There is no cheap solution, you must drink the foul medicine sometimes to get better.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 08:49 AM   #5
jamie
"TRF" Member

Here's the problem with the Texas service centre.

I recently bought a bp and fp Proust to complement my untouched sealed versions.

The bp was used, great shape, but a little tarnished. I tried the boiling water, tin foil and baking soda method, worked great, but destroyed to the inner stuff so pen wouldn't close properly. Sent to Texas SC, they just emailed saying it has to go Germany! I'll be in a different country when it's returned.

FP, never used, inked it and won't flow properly. Now, stuck with it until I get back to Canada in spring. I don't trust Texas to anything but stuff you could do on your own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0592.JPG (84.6 KB, 391 views)
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 09:08 AM   #6
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie View Post
Here's the problem with the Texas service centre.

I recently bought a bp and fp Proust to complement my untouched sealed versions.

The bp was used, great shape, but a little tarnished. I tried the boiling water, tin foil and baking soda method, worked great, but destroyed to the inner stuff so pen wouldn't close properly. .
Now that wasn't very bright was it? Looks like the problem is well north of Texas.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 09:18 AM   #7
artschool
"TRF" Member

I have a MB star walker. it has cracked more times than I can remember. I have had the cap replaced and the barrel replaced.

that "precious resin" sure is fragile
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 09:31 AM   #8
moyski
"TRF" Member

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
I have a MB star walker. it has cracked more times than I can remember. I have had the cap replaced and the barrel replaced.

that "precious resin" sure is fragile
And here I was thinking the matte resin of the Ultra Black series is brittle compared to the polished resin of the Classique. I guess extra care is needed for all Montblanc pens.
moyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 10:21 AM   #9
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
That does not look right at all.

Send it in and let MB sort it out.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2018, 12:47 PM   #10
billykmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, TTGMT, SUBc
Any of the writer's edition or limited edition will be sent to Germany. I have a Faulkner FP that was sent over to replace the nib and everything went fine.
As far as the ultra black series, the resin is a bit different. I do think that if you send it to the Ft. Worth TX location, they will be able to take care of it instead of shipping it to Germany.
Old 27 February 2018, 02:00 PM   #11
Jerz616
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 116710LN
I had just bought a star walker extreme a couple years ago and found a crack on the cap. Took it back to the retailer and they sent it in and I had it back in less than 2weeks. I bought it in Dallas so I am guessing it went to the Texas service center which I’m sure they just replaced the cap with a new one. But the service was great. I would suggest going in to the place of purchase and I bet they could do more than they might have said otherwise.
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:07 PM   #12
TRM
Banned

Granted, this was YEARS ago but I had a Mont Blanc pen that I put in the inside breast pocket of my sport coat but did not clip it to the pocket, just had it in there loose. Grabbed my jacket when getting out of my car, the pen fell out, hit the concrete driveway and the top pretty much shattered. I took it back to where I got it and told them exactly what happened. The lady I bought it from took it and sent it back to MB, a few weeks later she called and said my pen was back. Went to pick it up and she said MB just replaced the whole pen, at no charge. This was so many years ago the the pen retailed for $100, not the $400-$500 the sell for today. Try to get MB to replace a part today for free??
Good luck!!
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote