The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2018, 07:30 AM   #61
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
I do agree about the odd marketing decision as all of the other PM watches have a particular color trim feature to them. Frankly that is why I expected a Coke version so no confusion was made.
Yeah I'm with ya. I didn't think Rolex would throw WG BLRO under the bus like that. Coke would have made more sense...
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:37 AM   #62
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
True!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:42 AM   #63
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
why does it matter? If you want a pm piece...does it matter that someone can also buy the same watch in steel?

They make steel and two-tone watches.

How is it "alienating" anyone?

I find it interesting how most of the time, pm buyers will say 'oh, i don't buy it to be showy, i buy pm because i like the metal, or (in the case of white gold) because it flies under-the-radar', but then complain when someone can get the "same" watch in steel.

If you really don't care...then...why does it matter??
+1
digitalcrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:44 AM   #64
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelSubmarinerGuy View Post
My point Most say the color is off on the bezel, but SS makes you change your mind quick. I don’t like the jubilee on it soooo it’s nothing major imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly this. Last month when the WG BLRO was reported as discontinued the masses applauded this and lambasted the "off" bezel colors.

Today the same masses seem to be applauding a SS blro with the same bezel.

Methinks there is still the same sense of envy out there towards the WG.

On another note, the jubilee bracelet on the SS looks wrong to me. I'd like to see it in the flesh, but if the pics are anything to go by, it just doesn't look as good as the WG.

Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:46 AM   #65
Swashplate
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
My two cents is that if you want to show that you bought a PM Rolex, just get a YG or RG. If you get WG in my opinion it means that you want something that doesn't stand out to most people as a PM watch, but you know what you have on the wrist.
This. Typical European....;)
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:25 AM   #66
jakeysrolex
Banned

Watch: 116619
WG - to not be mugged while traveling or on late night fun adventures, while still being a good store of value. Turns into a potentially less good of a store of value when the same watch is suddenly being sold in steel. No matter which way you try to twist it, a lot of people will think twice about buying WG in any "exclusive" form from Rolex. I know I am.
jakeysrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:57 PM   #67
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeysrolex View Post
wg - to not be mugged while traveling or on late night fun adventures, while still being a good store of value. Turns into a potentially less good of a store of value when the same watch is suddenly being sold in steel. No matter which way you try to twist it, a lot of people will think twice about buying wg in any "exclusive" form from rolex. I know i am.
+1
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 12:38 AM   #68
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeysrolex View Post
wg - to not be mugged while traveling or on late night fun adventures, while still being a good store of value. Turns into a potentially less good of a store of value when the same watch is suddenly being sold in steel. No matter which way you try to twist it, a lot of people will think twice about buying wg in any "exclusive" form from rolex. I know i am.
+2
Old 24 March 2018, 12:43 AM   #69
Galibier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Porsche didn’t lose 911 customers when the Boxster was unveiled. Different buyers. Same as PM vs SS.
Galibier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 12:52 AM   #70
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex may be crossing some unspoken “exclusivity” line but Rolex is obviously treating their 904L just as special as their PM watches are. 904L is now a semi precious metal as far as Rolex is concerned.

Rolex has taken away a certain amount of “wealth bragging” some owners may buy their PM watches for. PM watches are for their owners now more than ever.
Old 24 March 2018, 12:54 AM   #71
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Gold is about the sheen, heft, and how it feels on the wrist. While it’s nice to have an exclusive color apart from steel, I don’t think that’s why most buy gold in the first place.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 12:54 AM   #72
SteelSubmarinerGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Rolex may be crossing some unspoken “exclusivity” line but Rolex is obviously treating their 904L just as special as their PM watches are. 904L is now a semi precious metal as far as Rolex is concerned.

Oyster Steel!!! 🤷🏼*♂️

SteelSubmarinerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 01:10 AM   #73
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
Why does it matter? If you want a PM piece...does it matter that someone can also buy the same watch in steel?

They make steel and two-tone watches.

How is it "alienating" anyone?

I find it interesting how most of the time, PM buyers will say 'oh, I don't buy it to be showy, I buy PM because I like the metal, or (in the case of white gold) because it flies under-the-radar', but then complain when someone can get the "same" watch in steel.

If you REALLY don't care...then...why does it matter??
x1000

Whatever happens, you still have a white gold watch that is precious metal, which should be the main reason for buying any PM watch. If you want PM, this doesn't change it. If you like to flip a lot of watches and/or have the newest thing, you may second guess getting WG perhaps bc of value hits shorter-term. Bottom line still white gold and a great watch.

I just don't get why it's ok for the YG Bluesy to share a dial/bezels with the TT Sub. The YG Sub in black to share with the "lowly and very plain" SS Sub Date. The YG GMT Master to share with the TT and "lowly and very plain" Black LN SS. The new Root Beer to share in RG and TT. (BTW I love the LNs in SS, just sarcasm)

Why do we always compare to AP and Patek....both of which share very similar SS vs PM setups in some cases, just like Rolex.

If you want a 6 digit Pepsi on Oyster, you're still not getting it with the new BLRO SS, so there is some exclusivity still in that WG piece, if that is what one wants out of their WG Rolex. I only have owned WG Daytonas though, so guess take with grain of salt.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 01:13 AM   #74
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelSubmarinerGuy View Post
Oyster Steel!!! 🤷🏼*♂️

Damn, now I have to change my username to "OysterSteelVT"
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 01:28 AM   #75
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
I'm still interested in acquiring a YG Sub sometime in the future. If they made a Sub in blue bezel and dial in SS, it still wouldn't stop me from wanting one or buying one
Suddenly I thought of Rolex yellow gold-plating subs! But hopefully that comes only after the DD goes SS and the fourth horseman comes riding in.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote