The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 October 2017, 03:55 AM   #61
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
I'm in the market to buy an Overseas. I understand that the resale value is garbage. But I don't care. Watches are emotional.

That said, I love this piece! The Limited edition (49150000A-9017) you've posted with the red hands has the best dial aesthetics of all the Overseas - a close second being the limited edition with black dial, yellow hands and TI bezel.

So... Here is my dilemma (two actually):

(1) The Chrono or the Dual time? It's a tough call. If I'm getting a Chrono, I want a Speedmaster (reeking of rugged class with a powerful sex appeal) or the Zenith El Primero Tri-Color (Best Chrono movement ever... highly innovative company... for the modern man...). Ok...Ok... I have both so I'm biased... So I might lean slightly toward the Dual Time for the unique element.

**Note: I respect the Daytona, they are just not cool; too bland; too blah... no innovation... (for me... for me). Maybe when I'm age appropriate, I dunno.

(2) But the 49150000A-9017 is the sexiest looking chrono on the market; sexier even than the Dual Time dial (though maybe not as interesting for complications)... BUT!!! no bracelet!!! And let's be honest, the VC Overseas bracelet (with the Maltese motif throughout) is the best bracelet ever made... and without question the most masculine-looking panty-dropper we've ever witnessed. I mean, if you can't get action with that thing on, its only because she saw you wearing a Daytona the day before (kidding... you would still get a cougar).

So what to do?

Oh and to respond to the thread, $13K is too high. Just is. It would sell for $10K. My dilemmas notwithstanding, $10K would move me on that one, to be sure.
I was looking at the MC bracelets again and have to say they might just be my favourite of all, maybe even surpassing the RO's. I also prefer the 2nd gen's bracelet which has a more defined and 3D Cross motif on it than the 3 gen's which is smaller and flatter. I like the guilloche dials of the 2 gen as well so maybe I'd take that version overall, altho the new blue dial and quick changeover facility are impressive.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 04:18 AM   #62
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I love 1948 red newly announced
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 04:47 AM   #63
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
Germany's Iron Cross military medal is in the shape of a Maltese Cross. And yes I believe they were still wearing them in WWII.
The Calatrava Cross doesn't have any thing to do with the German military.
Yes the Germans were wearing the iron cross during 1st and 2nd WW's, some nazi era variants have a svastika in the middle, not all, another symbol the Germans "borrowed".
They also used it during the 1870 war against us the French, which was a war to make the different German nations into one, it was a way to recognize officers's acts of bravery, and any German could get it if he was worthy, not just the Prussians, but it dates back to the liberation of Prussia in 1813, when the Prussians got rid of us, well not alone, with the Austrians and Russians, after we retreated from Russia, we were hard to beat back then, didn't loose a single battle, the Russian winter and Moscow's governor putting fire to the city got us.
And the guy who designed it maybe didn't use specifically the Maltese, as the Teutonic knights and Templars all had this cross with small differences, but clearly it is a "copy" of these crosses, but VC used the one from the Hospitaliers, thus Maltese cross...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 06:11 AM   #64
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

Just wanted to share: I have a titanium overseas 2 47040/000W-9500 incoming. Bought it for £6000 all box and papers and newly serviced by VC (waiting for it to come back from service centre). Buying from AD
For me I think it's a great buy and it'll be something different.
Takonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 11:56 AM   #65
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takonwong View Post
Just wanted to share: I have a titanium overseas 2 47040/000W-9500 incoming. Bought it for £6000 all box and papers and newly serviced by VC (waiting for it to come back from service centre). Buying from AD
For me I think it's a great buy and it'll be something different.
That's a nice price for the Deep Stream. I see prices are similar for the bracelet versions too altho they are hard to find. These are great value now, esp compared to the 3rd gens which are double the price from greys and triple from ADs.
Old 26 February 2018, 11:22 PM   #66
xIZeitgeistIx
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC & Sub
Hmmm, just checking Chrono24. It seems that the number of available Overseas is decreasing. I am wondering if the current AP, PP sport model hype is swapping over to VC?
xIZeitgeistIx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 12:46 AM   #67
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
I am a huge fan of the newest VC overseas model. Like they include the leather and rubber strap and the 41mm is sharp. At the right price for sure. But hard to justify at retail.
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 05:14 PM   #68
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I really like the 3rd gen Overseas, but the poor resale values of VC has always kept me away....
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 10:48 PM   #69
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Like this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 01:59 AM   #70
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Like this

I like this one a lot
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 09:31 AM   #71
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I'm not a big fan of the Overseas line but really like their dress watches.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 10:23 AM   #72
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Tried this on last week and loved it.

https://www.swissluxury.com/vacheron...BoCf8EQAvD_BwE
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 04:15 PM   #73
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 02:29 AM   #74
radika
"TRF" Member

Mine saya hello

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
radika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 08:55 AM   #75
Yousefsl
"TRF" Member

One of my favorite.

Yousefsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 09:01 AM   #76
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Like this

This is my favorite in the entire line.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 09:41 AM   #77
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I tried on the Harmony Dual Time yesterday and American 1921 (didn't take any pictures). I didn't like the 1921 that much but the Harmony was really nice. I would definitely get that watch if I had the funds.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 05:14 PM   #78
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post

Which raises another point: if your only objective in purchasing watches is not to lose money, stick with Rolex and Patek...I mean, seriously: is this all about dollars and cents, or is there perhaps a subjective element of beauty and design that maybe you're willing to spend a bit more on? Come on...sometimes some of you guys come off more as accountants than WIS types, honestly...I'm not gonna pass on a piece that I find to be stunning and irresistable over the potential loss of, well, less money than a decent car will depreciate over the course of one year.
I just saw your response, can't take the whole so will answer this part, well financially when you order a unique piece Voutilainen, you don't do it for the money, anything could happen and one day they could be worth much more, but kind of doubt it, so I did it for one piece. If I had to sell it, I would imagine loosing much more money than a decent car would depreciate in a year.

Don't get me wrong I really like a few VC, the 1952 Toledo is lovely, some Overseas are nice, but when it comes down to resale and demand, well we are not in PP category. But I agree that even if RM, AP, PP, Rolex, have a few models who do extremely well on resale, most don't, that is clear.

lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 10:59 PM   #79
Yousefsl
"TRF" Member

I was just in your dilemma I couldn't decide between the Dual time or the Chrono I had both on my wrist, although the chrono will always be the more poplar piece the Dual time complication will always be more useful, I own a pre ceramic Daytona and have never ever not once used the chrono complication.

The dual time on the other hand I use very often.

What I love about the old VC dual time 47450 it is a very unique almost eccentric look to it.

Some people might wonder why the chrono costs more. On the previous generation models the Dual time was fitted with a JLC movement which is owned by Richmond and the Chrono was fitted with a Breguet movement which is owned by swatch the competition. So you can guess that swatch didn't sell the movement cheap to VC.

At the end of the day if you want the more appreciated piece go for the Chrono otherwise if you want something with a more useful complication go for the Dual time.

All the best with your purchase.

White dial dual time.

Black dial chrono.

That day I had to make a very hard decision.

Yousefsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 01:10 AM   #80
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousefsl View Post
I was just in your dilemma I couldn't decide between the Dual time or the Chrono I had both on my wrist, although the chrono will always be the more poplar piece the Dual time complication will always be more useful, I own a pre ceramic Daytona and have never ever not once used the chrono complication.

The dual time on the other hand I use very often.

What I love about the old VC dual time 47450 it is a very unique almost eccentric look to it.

Some people might wonder why the chrono costs more. On the previous generation models the Dual time was fitted with a JLC movement which is owned by Richmond and the Chrono was fitted with a Breguet movement which is owned by swatch the competition. So you can guess that swatch didn't sell the movement cheap to VC.

At the end of the day if you want the more appreciated piece go for the Chrono otherwise if you want something with a more useful complication go for the Dual time.

All the best with your purchase.

White dial dual time.

Black dial chrono.

That day I had to make a very hard decision.

Congrats, tough choice for sure, but 2nd gens are my fav.
Old 12 March 2018, 11:45 PM   #81
shafran
"TRF" Member

2nd gen rising on resale market

I have also noticed that the gen 2 overseas are going up in value on the resale market. Probably due to the fact that they are no longer made and gen 3 is either too expensive or unavailable on the resale market yet. Interesting.....
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2018, 07:30 AM   #82
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
I agree, I think the gen 2s were awesome and they should have either left it alone or made minimal changes to accomodate the new movement.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2018, 02:57 PM   #83
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I find all "holy trinity" sports models to be terribly homely, but the Overseas is the least offensive to me, so that's a feather in Vacheron's cap, I suppose. As for quality, I think Vacheron's finishing in their entry to mid-level models has been superior to Patek in the last decade or so, although I do think Patek does have better finishing than Vacheron on their upper level models. (Lange and Journe, however, leave both behind, even in their most modest pieces.) What I also like about Vacheron is that they're not "a well advertised" brand like Patek and AP, so rappers and new money are not, as of yet, donning them, at least in the West. They've done a great job with all of their Historiques models too.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2018, 10:24 PM   #84
iceman1118
"TRF" Member

Not an owner, but I tried on the Cornes de Vache chrono in platinum a few weeks back and I am seriously considering adding it. Case size is perfect, historic movement, and quite frankly a watch that will stand the test of time. Obviously there is competition, 5170, 1815 chrono, etc, but this version with the white dial and blue strap takes the cake for me personally.

To be honest I have never really considered the brand before but this has led me to start taking a second look. Obviously resale hurts so you have to buy right, but overall I feel there is definitely a reason to consider the brand.
iceman1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 12:08 PM   #85
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman1118 View Post
Not an owner, but I tried on the Cornes de Vache chrono in platinum a few weeks back and I am seriously considering adding it. Case size is perfect, historic movement, and quite frankly a watch that will stand the test of time. Obviously there is competition, 5170, 1815 chrono, etc, but this version with the white dial and blue strap takes the cake for me personally.

To be honest I have never really considered the brand before but this has led me to start taking a second look. Obviously resale hurts so you have to buy right, but overall I feel there is definitely a reason to consider the brand.
The Cornes de Vaches and the Traditionelle small seconds are better than the Pateks they compete with, to me. The cream of Vacheron.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 02:31 PM   #86
Justindo
"TRF" Member

The Cornes de Vaches is such a beautiful watch in either metal and I agree that it will stand the test of time. (Hasn't it already, really?) I'm very tempted by it but I already have the Lange 1815 Chronograph, which has superior finishing and a more spectacular movement. But the Cornes de Vaches has those amazing lugs and is available in platinum, unlike the Lange.

My only Vacheron currently is the Traditionnelle small seconds in pink gold and I like it better than my Patek 5119. It really is the perfect dress watch.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 03:14 PM   #87
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
I have also noticed that the gen 2 overseas are going up in value on the resale market. Probably due to the fact that they are no longer made and gen 3 is either too expensive or unavailable on the resale market yet. Interesting.....
I absolutely love the Gen 2 Chronos. So much that I have two - a blue one and white one. But have decided that I only need one. We'll see how much of a hit I take in selling the white one as I rebalance my (small) collection.
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 06:26 AM   #88
agentmeister5
"TRF" Member

I got to see the 1942 Historiques Triple Calendrier recently and was very impressed. I think it is an even better dress watch than the Traditionelle or Patrimony.
agentmeister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 12:11 AM   #89
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
Considering this....

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote