The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2018, 11:18 PM   #181
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
If I was in the market, I would still buy (and prefer) the WG BLRO with black dial even with a SS model out. There is just something about the feel of a solid gold watch on your wrist. If you don't understand then you're not ready for one.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 12:06 AM   #182
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
There should be no surprise. Once they did it with the SkyD the flood gates are open. It’s only s matter of time until there’s a Blue steel sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The blue Sub has no SS history so it is not such a foregone conclusion as say a Coke, but obviously all bets are off in predicting Rolex norms.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 12:19 AM   #183
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
The blue dial WG version is so horrific that the discontinued black dial might even appreciate in value. Hope so for the owners here.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 12:24 AM   #184
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The blue Sub has no SS history so it is not such a foregone conclusion as say a Coke, but obviously all bets are off in predicting Rolex norms.

Maybe Rolex would have been better off not making the BLRO in gold to begin with. Now they are criticized on both ends. Either the PM owners for copying an exclusive watch or the SS owners for not giving them what they want.

As you brought up, the Pepsi has a history in SS so I think BLRO owners can’t be quite as angers as SkyD owners. At least from my perspective it appeared that the SkyD was going to be similar to a DD where it would only be a PM model. And then bang... a steel version is released.

Old 24 March 2018, 12:34 AM   #185
scrappy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
The blue dial WG version is so horrific that the discontinued black dial might even appreciate in value. Hope so for the owners here.

I don’t think many PM Rolex buyers expect their watches to hold value. I certainly don’t.
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 12:52 AM   #186
BlueIn2Red
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
I don't see the WG crowd getting upset. They gladly paid knowing that the watch looked just like SS. They like the weight, they like WG, they want to be stealthy. Only the owner knows he paid $30k for the watch.
Exactly. If anything, the release of a steel Pepsi (and discontinuation of the WG version) increases these factors for me - a very similar looking watch now exists, but I (and nobody else I care about) know I own the better watch (which is now even more stealthy!).
BlueIn2Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 12:57 AM   #187
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco8gator View Post
There is still enough difference between the wg and ss versions that I doubt the price of the wg version is going down. You will probably never see an oyster braclet version of the ss and wg has a different luster than steel. The wg will also be more exclusive just due to the price and it is the first watch rolex released the Pepsi bezel on....the wg model will be just fine t hiugh I do hope they update the movement.
agree!
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 01:25 AM   #188
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

steel - PM its all good, I am happy Rolex makes both to me its all good

Old 24 March 2018, 01:37 AM   #189
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Maybe Rolex would have been better off not making the BLRO in gold to begin with. Now they are criticized on both ends. Either the PM owners for copying an exclusive watch or the SS owners for not giving them what they want.

As you brought up, the Pepsi has a history in SS so I think BLRO owners can’t be quite as angers as SkyD owners. At least from my perspective it appeared that the SkyD was going to be similar to a DD where it would only be a PM model. And then bang... a steel version is released.

Indeed they caught hell for going WG in the first place, and then maybe thought the SS would be more welcome but they caught hell again, you just can't win on social media, even the most beautiful women are getting criticised by flabby fifty year old men and twelve year old boys on a daily basis.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 01:42 AM   #190
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post

Beautiful collection Dr. Tom

Also, I find the WG metal to complement the BLRO bezel way better than the SS ever could. It's such a warmer watch in WG that is perfectly fitting of it's warmer bezel colors. It will remain a historically significant GMT Master and perhaps eyed by collectors.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 01:46 AM   #191
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Rolex took a watch that was not a great seller, usually available everywhere, and most of the time discounted. By offering the same watch in ss they produced a watch that was based on an averge seller into something in great demand. Took something avarage and exploited it into something far better in demand. Brilliant strategy. They also made the minimal revisions to the original watches to placate the owners and still have a PM version.
That is what Rolex does and that is why they are so successful.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 03:04 AM   #192
johnnyjazz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post

That looks like the newer blro with blue dial in that light.
johnnyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 03:06 AM   #193
WhiskeyNovember
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
Rolex took a watch that was not a great seller, usually available everywhere, and most of the time discounted. By offering the same watch in ss they produced a watch that was based on an averge seller into something in great demand. Took something avarage and exploited it into something far better in demand. Brilliant strategy. They also made the minimal revisions to the original watches to placate the owners and still have a PM version.
That is what Rolex does and that is why they are so successful.

Finally someone who gets it! Rolex have played a blinder and owners of the original WG BLRO (with black dial and red gmt hand) now have a much more desirable watch that will increase in value and become a collectors piece!

WhiskeyNovember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 07:02 AM   #194
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
I think my BLRO might take a hit initially but it was never a big seller so that might help values further down the line. I'd be surprised if they sell many blue dialed versions, so that may be the one to have in the future based on exclusivity alone. Interestingly enough Rolex has already told me I'm not able to swap my black dial to a blue dial, so it looks like WG BLRO owners are stuck with what they have! I plan to add the new SS so I thought it would be nice to have a little bit more differentiation between the two as there's 0% chance I'll be adding another WG BLRO.

Now the RG GMT though...
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 07:09 AM   #195
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Beautiful collection Dr. Tom

Also, I find the WG metal to complement the BLRO bezel way better than the SS ever could. It's such a warmer watch in WG that is perfectly fitting of it's warmer bezel colors. It will remain a historically significant GMT Master and perhaps eyed by collectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjazz View Post
That looks like the newer blro with blue dial in that light.
Old 24 March 2018, 07:16 AM   #196
timtom33
Banned

Watch: Rolex
The new GMT categorically does not look right with a jubilee bracelet. They do not work together. I even just watched some more videos of it to give it a chance and to see if my mind changed. It did not. I even own a Datejust (had it for 10 years from new) and it only works on that watch, and the reason i have bought other watches since with Oyster bracelets was because the Jubilee looks dated, its very 'dressy' and hard to pull off on more causal days, its annoying to clean, looks feminine, suffers easily from 'stretch', doesn't have easylink, and worst of all looks chintzy. Flame away but this is my un-sugar coated personal opinion based on actual experience and I am sticking to it.
timtom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 07:44 AM   #197
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtom33 View Post
The new GMT categorically does not look right with a jubilee bracelet. They do not work together. I even just watched some more videos of it to give it a chance and to see if my mind changed. It did not. I even own a Datejust (had it for 10 years from new) and it only works on that watch, and the reason i have bought other watches since with Oyster bracelets was because the Jubilee looks dated, its very 'dressy' and hard to pull off on more causal days, its annoying to clean, looks feminine, suffers easily from 'stretch', doesn't have easylink, and worst of all looks chintzy. Flame away but this is my un-sugar coated personal opinion based on actual experience and I am sticking to it.
I am not a fan of jubilee and it only ensured i was going to keep my money. It is the biggest turn off to me.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 07:45 AM   #198
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
agreed on almost all counts. it's a really busy look, just so much going on. i wouldn't say it's feminine but I would say it's an older look.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 07:49 AM   #199
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You mad bro?
Old 24 March 2018, 08:52 AM   #200
Jeffreyc87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Come on. Have you seen the actual dial in person? If you were at basel then I would defer to your opinion..but so...horrific!

We all know rolex doesn’t make a bad Blue Dial.

Not sure if is flat or sunburst or in between but when seen in person rolex knows how to make a blue dial.

Does the blue bezel of the yg and wg subs actually match the sunburst or flat blue dials? Not really but they are stunning but somehow the blue bezel on the Blro blue not matching the dial and it’s a horrific design.

I will judge when I hold it but I hardly doubt it’s horrific.

People on trf are so ridiculous sometimes...how many of you now who are on the “the ss Blro is perfect and I can’t wait to get it” were also on the “the wg Blro bezel colors are completely wrong and washed out looking” list?

I kinda find it hypocritical.
Jeffreyc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 11:26 AM   #201
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
Quote:
I agree — it just doesn't look right on the GMT. With regard to the Jubilee bracelet, I have a vintage Datejust 1603 with the 1960s-era Jubilee [flat links], and it just looks "correct" and not too dressy. But not every Rolex should be matched to that bracelet indeed — and certainly not this new stainless GMT.
Randy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote