The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25 April 2012, 01:17 AM   #91
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Both the top ( just received yesterday) and the bottom ( received back in December) each cost $150 for the repair plus $28 return fed ex shipping plus of course the cost to ship out initially. Total with shipping both ways was approximately $200 per TT jubilee.

All you have to do is get Michael to agree to take on the work, if you have never been a customer before, and the forget about the bracelet untill he tells you it is ready. TRUST is a nessisary ingredient. Anyone who is a control freak and needs constant updates and "customer service" (read hand holding while their POS wasted bracelet that was going to be scrap is repaired and given new life) is not a good fit for Mr. Young and his service.

Get real guys, you are sending a wasted bracelet that was going to the scrap dealer...what's the big deal some of these guys have made over not getting the "customer service" they feel they are entitled to? Their rants just make them look like big baby's. I would understand if they were sending out a complete watch but they aren't......

I know there will be the totally serious and rational arguement given in response to this post that they are paying customers and deserve the proper customer service that they expect at all times from all vendors. If that is a requirement for your braclet repair, don't send it to Michael Young! If you want an unbelievable restoration and extension of utility for a worn out Rolex bracelet and can forget about it for up to four months....Mike is your man.
Old 25 April 2012, 01:24 AM   #92
Mark020
"TRF" Member

+1. Read this post, agree with every word and ship. If you don't feel comfortable: don't do it.
Old 25 April 2012, 02:56 AM   #93
Paul Raposo
Banned

For those who have had your bracelets serviced by Michael, what are your opinions on the spacing of the links?

I read on the other watch forum, (you know the one I mean,) where some posters complained that the links were too close together, and rubbed on one another, making the bracelet uncomfortable to wear.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 25 April 2012, 03:34 AM   #94
RLX-lvr
"TRF" Member

The repair work and spacing on 3 of my bracelets that have been done are top notch, no complaints.
Just remember if it was badly stretched before, when it is re-tightened, it can become shorter with the need to possibly add another link to it.
Old 25 April 2012, 03:43 AM   #95
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Amen

Yes please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1abc.jpg (12.3 KB, 954 views)
Old 25 April 2012, 06:22 AM   #96
Paul Raposo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLX-lvr View Post
The repair work and spacing on 3 of my bracelets that have been done are top notch, no complaints.
Just remember if it was badly stretched before, when it is re-tightened, it can become shorter with the need to possibly add another link to it.
Great info, RLX-lvr, thanks
Old 26 April 2012, 04:16 AM   #97
fauxataraxia
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: yes please
bracelet repair

just got my 93150 back from Michael - excellent work - no more stretch!
Old 26 April 2012, 05:02 AM   #98
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Show us some pics please ;-)

Thanks

Old 26 April 2012, 06:11 AM   #99
fauxataraxia
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: yes please
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Show us some pics please ;-)

Thanks

Before

After

Great return on a $100 investment!
Old 26 April 2012, 06:27 AM   #100
SPARTAN2161
Banned

Watch: me flip
He is a master. It may take awhile but well worth every penny
Old 26 April 2012, 06:36 AM   #101
RLX-lvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Both the top ( just received yesterday) and the bottom ( received back in December) each cost $150 for the repair plus $28 return fed ex shipping plus of course the cost to ship out initially. Total with shipping both ways was approximately $200 per TT jubilee.

All you have to do is get Michael to agree to take on the work, if you have never been a customer before, and the forget about the bracelet untill he tells you it is ready. TRUST is a nessisary ingredient. Anyone who is a control freak and needs constant updates and "customer service" (read hand holding while their POS wasted bracelet that was going to be scrap is repaired and given new life) is not a good fit for Mr. Young and his service.

Get real guys, you are sending a wasted bracelet that was going to the scrap dealer...what's the big deal some of these guys have made over not getting the "customer service" they feel they are entitled to? Their rants just make them look like big baby's. I would understand if they were sending out a complete watch but they aren't......

I know there will be the totally serious and rational arguement given in response to this post that they are paying customers and deserve the proper customer service that they expect at all times from all vendors. If that is a requirement for your braclet repair, don't send it to Michael Young! If you want an unbelievable restoration and extension of utility for a worn out Rolex bracelet and can forget about it for up to four months....Mike is your man.
Great post!
This should be a required read to everyone sending a bracelet to him.
Old 26 April 2012, 10:00 AM   #102
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Just a further update.....based on the empirical data I have so far:

- Mr. Young is an employee or owner of a high tech company in Hong Kong based on the shippers address on the FedEx airbill from him. I suspect the watch and bracelet sales/ repair business is a side business and he has family or friends who are jewelers/watch makers somewhere in mainland China that actually do the work. I think this is probable because of the following:

- The low cost of the service must mean the specialized but labor intensive work is being done in a location/market where wages/demand for such craftsmen is low. There is no way to maintain a brick and mortar business doing just this work at those prices in HK or any major mainland China city.

- Based on all the braclets that arrived this month at the same time seems to imply the kind of batch processing that one would do if one had a remote location and was looking for economies of scale to keep pricing affordable and therefore keep demand high enough for those batch processing economies of scale.

- Batch processing of output (repaired bracelets) usually means batch processing of input (worn bracelets) which would also account for the prolonged time for the work to be done, ie...wait till you have a critical mass of work and send it off and then they all are returned in one shipment regardless of when finished and in essence the first braclet in and the first bracelet out have to wait until the last bracelet is ready at each end, again this would account for the long processing time.

- Batch shipments would make sense to keep costs down as well. It the work is done thru family or Friends as I surmise, transport may have to wait until someone plans on a physical trip to make secure delivery by hand.

- Mr. Young's lack of ability or willingness to provide timely " status updates" on specific bracelets to all the old women here on the forum also would imply a remote facility where the actual work is being done.

Just some observations and musings on the situation...

I am very happy and will use him again if needed.
Old 26 April 2012, 10:07 AM   #103
RLX-lvr
"TRF" Member

Very well said.
Old 26 April 2012, 11:15 PM   #104
deedles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lady President
I just got back a 1970 women's SS Jubilee bracelet, so stretched and worn I was told not to use it, and a riveted 19mm bracelet that some idiot butchered shortening it for me, and they both look brand new, tight, and perfect.

It took Michael about 4 to 5 months, and I couldn't care less. Cost $180 plus shipping for the two bands.

Simply amazing work!
Old 27 April 2012, 07:05 AM   #105
SPARTAN2161
Banned

Paladin

i have come to the same conclusion. MY doesn't do the work himself nor does he do it anywhere in HK for that matter do to $$$. The batch work is a definitely possibility. Meaning you and I and many others all go the band back at the same time and we were all emailed the same day. For what its worth idc who is doing his work. All i know is its cheap and QUALITY. You cant find that anywhere these days
Old 27 April 2012, 07:33 AM   #106
Kingair
"TRF" Member

I am really impressed with the job he does !

HAGT

Old 27 April 2012, 07:41 AM   #107
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN2161 View Post
Paladin

i have come to the same conclusion. MY doesn't do the work himself nor does he do it anywhere in HK for that matter do to $$$. The batch work is a definitely possibility. Meaning you and I and many others all go the band back at the same time and we were all emailed the same day. For what its worth idc who is doing his work. All i know is its cheap and QUALITY. You cant find that anywhere these days
I don't care where it's done either. I'm glad the service is available, I hope the craftsmen are being treated well and fairly.

I only posted that to explain what I suspect about the situation for all the nervous nellies and insecure control freaks ?...
Old 27 April 2012, 09:12 PM   #108
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxataraxia View Post
. . . Before . . . After . . .
Great return on a $100 investment!
I know where I am going to send mine even if it takes 5 months !

HAGW all

Old 3 May 2012, 12:26 AM   #109
rjmurph
"TRF" Member

M.Y. restoration

My 2 cents (just the bracelet)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub .JPG (67.2 KB, 809 views)
File Type: jpg subdone.JPG (57.5 KB, 807 views)
Old 3 May 2012, 12:33 AM   #110
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedles View Post
I just got back a 1970 women's SS Jubilee bracelet, so stretched and worn I was told not to use it, and a riveted 19mm bracelet that some idiot butchered shortening it for me, and they both look brand new, tight, and perfect.

It took Michael about 4 to 5 months, and I couldn't care less. Cost $180 plus shipping for the two bands.

Simply amazing work!
That's like the deal of the century, $180.........
Old 3 May 2012, 12:35 AM   #111
Keeperoftime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I definitely need to get this guy to fix some of my stretched bracelets.
Old 3 May 2012, 12:46 AM   #112
Postnikov
"TRF" Member

If you write every time again and again how cheap a repair of a band is - you will have a price rise sooner or later!
Patek Philippe GOLDEN ELLIPSE
Panerai LUMINOR GMT
Old 3 May 2012, 12:48 AM   #113
SPARTAN2161
Banned

Quote:
I don't care where it's done either. I'm glad the service is available, I hope the craftsmen are being treated well and fairly.

I only posted that to explain what I suspect about the situation for all the nervous nellies and insecure control freaks ?...
Old 3 May 2012, 01:53 AM   #114
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmurph View Post
My 2 cents (just the bracelet)
Woooooow . . . . what result !

Amazing !

HAGOne

Old 3 May 2012, 11:40 AM   #115
pipp

very nice!
Old 4 May 2012, 02:53 AM   #116
lupus
"TRF" Member

yeah used him too. rolex ag wont be happy with him.
Old 4 May 2012, 03:39 AM   #117
cgjane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 BlackArabic
Quote:
Just a further update.....based on the empirical data I have so far:

- Mr. Young is an employee or owner of a high tech company in Hong Kong based on the shippers address on the FedEx airbill from him. I suspect the watch and bracelet sales/ repair business is a side business and he has family or friends who are jewelers/watch makers somewhere in mainland China that actually do the work. I think this is probable because of the following:

- The low cost of the service must mean the specialized but labor intensive work is being done in a location/market where wages/demand for such craftsmen is low. There is no way to maintain a brick and mortar business doing just this work at those prices in HK or any major mainland China city.

- Based on all the braclets that arrived this month at the same time seems to imply the kind of batch processing that one would do if one had a remote location and was looking for economies of scale to keep pricing affordable and therefore keep demand high enough for those batch processing economies of scale.

- Batch processing of output (repaired bracelets) usually means batch processing of input (worn bracelets) which would also account for the prolonged time for the work to be done, ie...wait till you have a critical mass of work and send it off and then they all are returned in one shipment regardless of when finished and in essence the first braclet in and the first bracelet out have to wait until the last bracelet is ready at each end, again this would account for the long processing time.

- Batch shipments would make sense to keep costs down as well. It the work is done thru family or Friends as I surmise, transport may have to wait until someone plans on a physical trip to make secure delivery by hand.

- Mr. Young's lack of ability or willingness to provide timely " status updates" on specific bracelets to all the old women here on the forum also would imply a remote facility where the actual work is being done.

Just some observations and musings on the situation...

I am very happy and will use him again if needed.
This should be a sticky.
Old 4 May 2012, 05:41 AM   #118
Mauiguy
"TRF" Member

I emailed him recently requesting repair/restoration of a USA C+I band.

Never heard back from him.

-G
Old 4 May 2012, 06:16 AM   #119
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauiguy View Post
I emailed him recently requesting repair/restoration of a USA C+I band.

Never heard back from him.

-G
1) He definitely lags when it comes to returning emails. How long has it been since you e mailed him? Have you ever done business with him before?

2) Last time he and I traded e mails, he said he was not looking for new customers but would continue to do business with good existing customers. He has done two bracelets for me so far.
Old 4 May 2012, 06:26 AM   #120
Mauiguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
2) Last time he and I traded e mails, he said he was not looking for new customers but would continue to do business with good existing customers. He has done two bracelets for me so far.
Thanks. That answers everything.

Quote:
1) He definitely lags when it comes to returning emails. How long has it been since you e mailed him? Have you ever done business with him before?
Long enough and no, I've never done business with him before.
Closed Thread