The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 June 2012, 03:30 PM   #1
thechoson

Purchasing and "restoring" a used 16220

I am considering purchasing a used 16220 from the late 90s. The case is in near pristine condition except for an engraving in the back, and the bracelet is actually in decent shape.

That being said, I'd love to get this watch to "as new" condition. I've never attempted something like this with a watch before, and I'd love to get an idea of the costs involved:

(1) Can I purchase a brand new caseback and jubilee bracelet (the older style that was original to this model)? If so, from where, and how much would each part cost? And then can I have an independent watchmaker install the parts for me? How much would such watchmaker charge for the labor portion?

(2) Can/ should I entrust the RSC or an authorized center (I'm in the Bay Area so there is one in San Francisco) to do the whole thing for me? I'm guessing they can get the brand new parts and then do the installation. How much would I have to pay for this?

(3) After this, I'd be left with a used caseback with an engraving and a used approximately 85% condition jubilee bracelet with minimal stretch. How much could I get for these if I sold? Again, trying to get the best idea of the NET cost to undertake this project.

Thanks for your help!
thechoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 11:19 PM   #2
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Buy the watch and send it to RSC for an estimate, nobody here can tell you what the cost will be......Then sell the jubilee and case back if you wish, the jubilee will have solid market value, the caseback, not so much...but you never know who has a project going on and needs one. The engraving can be polished out in most cases....
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 11:35 PM   #3
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoson View Post
I am considering purchasing a used 16220 from the late 90s. The case is in near pristine condition except for an engraving in the back, and the bracelet is actually in decent shape.

That being said, I'd love to get this watch to "as new" condition. I've never attempted something like this with a watch before, and I'd love to get an idea of the costs involved:

(1) Can I purchase a brand new caseback and jubilee bracelet (the older style that was original to this model)? If so, from where, and how much would each part cost? And then can I have an independent watchmaker install the parts for me? How much would such watchmaker charge for the labor portion?

(2) Can/ should I entrust the RSC or an authorized center (I'm in the Bay Area so there is one in San Francisco) to do the whole thing for me? I'm guessing they can get the brand new parts and then do the installation. How much would I have to pay for this?

(3) After this, I'd be left with a used caseback with an engraving and a used approximately 85% condition jubilee bracelet with minimal stretch. How much could I get for these if I sold? Again, trying to get the best idea of the NET cost to undertake this project.

Thanks for your help!
1. Brand new caseback? No, not likely. Only from RSC. You can advertise on the buyers forum for one. If the engraving isn't too deep, it is possible to polish out. I suggest that you search for Dalton on this forum. He is doing great job in restoring cases. I do not know what a used caseback will cost, but expect a couple of 100 USD. I purchased a Jubilee in great, almost unused, condition including end links for some USD 300, but I would say I was lucky with that one.

2. Since you are in SF, I suggest that you visit the independent RSC for an estimate. New parts, like caseback and bracelet will cost a more than indicated above.

3. If you have a bracelet that is 85% and with minimal stretch, I would not replace it!

Also, I suggest that you have the watch serviced, making sure that the gaskets are replaced to ensure that it is water proof.

Talk to Dalton and the RSC before trying to purchase parts.

Personally I would look for an example that already is in the shape you want it. There are plenty of 16220s out there. Just do a search on the sales forum here. A restoration like suggested will be too expensive according to my experience, compared to buying another example.

Good luck!

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 01:21 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
New bracelets are close to 2,000, a caseback around 300, then a service at 650 and you may have a bigger bill at the RSC than the watch is worth..

We show how to take off engravings over in our Reference Library Amateur Watchmakers Corner..

I'm all for restoring older watches, but some people do balk at the costs involved..
Old 11 June 2012, 03:16 AM   #5
thechoson

Thanks. Whoa, didn't know how expensive the new parts could be.

I guess I should limit this to removing the engraving and a full service (seems like RSC does an excellent job during the full service of cleaning the watch to like new anyways)
thechoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2012, 03:36 AM   #6
Xander
"TRF" Member

Send it to Dalton at ABC WatchWerks. They are polishing genuises.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote