The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 November 2014, 06:46 AM   #61
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by prs77 View Post
Screaming Eagle is supposed to be amazing, but unfortunately most of us will never be able to drink a bottle. Most of the cult Cabernets from California are sold exclusively on waiting lists and never end up shops. Occasionally, you can find a bottle of Screaming Eagle at auction, so I suppose that's an option.
You can get it at nice restaurants...just know what you're ordering unlike this guy

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/11/...y-steak-in-ac/

Somewhat of a similar thing happened to my buddy. We were out celebrating and when it came time to order wine I mentioned they had Screaming Eagle. Not knowing the price (I did warn him it was expensive) my buddy quickly orders a bottle for the table. We liked it so much he ordered a 2nd bottle. When he tried to order a 3rd we finally stopped him and got a lesser bottle. He gladly picked up the tab for dinner and even bought me a bottle of Screaming Eagle as part of my wedding gift. Hi-Times Cellars was able to track it down for him.

singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 06:50 AM   #62
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
I understand that Screaming Eagle, 2011, comes highly recommended from others on TRF.
Fantastic wine.. But a bit overpriced these days.

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 09:56 AM   #63
prs77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Glashutte-Original
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
You can get it at nice restaurants...just know what you're ordering unlike this guy

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/11/...y-steak-in-ac/

Somewhat of a similar thing happened to my buddy. We were out celebrating and when it came time to order wine I mentioned they had Screaming Eagle. Not knowing the price (I did warn him it was expensive) my buddy quickly orders a bottle for the table. We liked it so much he ordered a 2nd bottle. When he tried to order a 3rd we finally stopped him and got a lesser bottle. He gladly picked up the tab for dinner and even bought me a bottle of Screaming Eagle as part of my wedding gift. Hi-Times Cellars was able to track it down for him.

That had to be a wonderful evening! Nothing better than spending time with friends and drinking some great wine.
prs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 10:07 AM   #64
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
I'm a Pinot Noir man....preferably from Burgundy.

Tonight's tipple....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.2 KB, 298 views)

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 10:39 AM   #65
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 - 14060M
Does that book work for you? Don't answer. Very strategic.

All these wines to try! They look great. :-)

2 bottles of Screaming Eagle...Mon Dieu! Thats a watch!
vitalsignsrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2014, 10:52 AM   #66
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsignsrn View Post
Does that book work for you? Don't answer. Very strategic.

All these wines to try! They look great. :-)

2 bottles of Screaming Eagle...Mon Dieu! Thats a watch!

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2014, 09:26 AM   #67
watchdog507
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rose Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPike View Post
I want to get some fine Italian wine for some fine Italian friends of mine, for Christmas. I'm limited to the LCBO's offerings. Any recommendations?
What kind of budget were you considering? The LCBO has a fair number of offerings. There are outlets that stock a lot more Italian wine than others. The poster who suggested Sassicaia is correct it's a great wine. It is expensive. I don't think that you need to drop $200-$400 dollars on a bottle. I always start with the Vivino app. It's a good at giving you a basic review. Then you can dig a little deeper for more ratings. We were at a charity event last night that had some Californian wines. Vivino saved me a lot of money that might have been spent on a mediocre wine purchase.
watchdog507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2014, 02:17 PM   #68
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Watchdog..thank you for the app suggestion. I just downloaded the free version to trial it. I think there is a Pro version also to upgrade too. So far is very easy to set up & use. I'll be using this as I stroll the LCBO.

I don't drink a lot of Italian wines. My bad. I do however support my culture in different ways, just not by drinking their wine exclusively. The most recent one I had was Masi Valpolicella Bonacosta. A reasonable price as it was on sale for $14 from $16.00. Current promotion is $15. I went to a Red & White Wine Tasting party early in the summer & had this for the 1st time there. I think there were about 110 bottles as there were 40 people who each brought 2 bottles with some bringing 3. It was fun.

Sorry its so big! I cant seem to resize it. When I do on Photobucket, I lock in the new size but it wont lock it in in fact. :-(
Old 10 November 2014, 02:30 PM   #69
NorthernPike
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, 1949 Everest
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdog507 View Post
What kind of budget were you considering?
Within the context of this thread, I'm on a pauper's budget. I would think 30 or 40 bucks should buy a pretty good bottle of Italian wine at the LCBO. No?
NorthernPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2014, 02:44 PM   #70
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPike View Post
Within the context of this thread, I'm on a pauper's budget. I would think 30 or 40 bucks should buy a pretty good bottle of Italian wine at the LCBO. No?
$30- 40 can buy a nice Amarone or Barolo, which you will find with the regular stock under Italy. I'm not familiar with what is in the Vintages section but the staff where I go are pretty knowledgable & helpful. Try the new app watchdog suggested. I like it so far.
Old 10 November 2014, 03:02 PM   #71
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Smoking Loon Old world Zinfandel 2012, I had a few weeks ago. It was good, but in truth, I wouldnt buy it again. I found it very heavy & incredibly smokey. I have had the Smoking Loom Cabernet Sauv many times but this one was actually an error purchase. The store I shop at decided to change their display & switched the 2 varieties. I didnt look at the bottle as I grabbed it ( they are the same looking apart from the writing). I still drank it don't get me wrong. 3 girls sitting around a campfire for 3 hrs? I ran out early, I had to use it. LOL I will however, make sure I look at the bottle next time. If I happened to grab this one again, wouldnt be the end of the world, is still an palatable wine.

Old 12 November 2014, 12:25 AM   #72
NorthernPike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
$30- 40 can buy a nice Amarone or Barolo, which you will find with the regular stock under Italy.
Perhaps where you live, but not up here in the Great White North. I'll check next time I'm in the big city.
Old 12 November 2014, 12:56 AM   #73
00pumpkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Lately we have been drinking Joel Gott Cab - can usually find it at Costco for $14 or so. With steaks we have been having Stags Leap Merlot. One of my favorites that's hard to find is Aduentus, a nice blend.
Old 12 November 2014, 01:03 AM   #74
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Northern..LOL FFS buddy, it's not like you live in Tuktoyaktuk!

Thanks Dustin, will have to add that to my list.

Next wine tasting party I go to I'll be ready with all these suggestions. That or I'll be too drunk to go out.

Old 12 November 2014, 01:11 AM   #75
NorthernPike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Northern..LOL FFS buddy, it's not like you live in Tuktoyaktuk!
Its more like Hooterville. With snow.
Old 12 November 2014, 02:22 AM   #76
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Hooterville is near the airport.
Old 12 November 2014, 04:48 AM   #77
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
$30- 40 can buy a nice Amarone or Barolo, which you will find with the regular stock under Italy. I'm not familiar with what is in the Vintages section but the staff where I go are pretty knowledgable & helpful. Try the new app watchdog suggested. I like it so far.
I love Amarone and have enjoyed some Barolos but I've never seen one below $50 that was worth mentioning, let alone a "nice" one
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 06:48 AM   #78
watchdog507
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rose Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
I love Amarone and have enjoyed some Barolos but I've never seen one below $50 that was worth mentioning, let alone a "nice" one
The magic number where we live in the Toronto GTA, is around $50 for Amarone. Below that figure you get hit and miss. There are cheap Barolos at $35-40 but they aren't much to brag about. Barolo's in name only. We have a large and affluent Italian population, so there is a lot of wine to choose from.

One word of caution. Wine Align and Natalie Maclean are basically on-line shills for the LCBO. Everything gets a good rating. I always dig a little deeper to find more objective reviews.
watchdog507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 09:37 AM   #79
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdog507 View Post
The magic number where we live in the Toronto GTA, is around $50 for Amarone. Below that figure you get hit and miss. There are cheap Barolos at $35-40 but they aren't much to brag about. Barolo's in name only. We have a large and affluent Italian population, so there is a lot of wine to choose from.

One word of caution. Wine Align and Natalie Maclean are basically on-line shills for the LCBO. Everything gets a good rating. I always dig a little deeper to find more objective reviews.
I completely agree

There is less of a hit and miss with Amarone but in general, $50 will get you a consistently decent Amarone.

A <$50 bottle of Barolo, on the other hand, will get you complete garbage unless you like ridiculous amount of tanins that no amount of aging will help. Barbaresco's at any price range are typically more approachable.
Old 12 November 2014, 10:20 AM   #80
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Just got my allotment of Hundred Acre 2012 Ark and can't wait to open first bottle!

Robert Parker Review:

2012 Hundred Acre Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Ark Vineyard
WA # , #209 (Oct 2013)
Rating: (96-100)

"The 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon Ark Vineyard stood out for its combination of power, purity, sweetness of fruit and tannin, lavish concentration and impeccable harmony.

This is a full throttle, extravagantly rich, intense wine that offers everything with more intensity, depth and layered impression. It possesses abundant blueberry and blackberry liqueur notes as well as notions of forest floor, spring flowers (acacias and violets), graphite and chocolate. This amazing effort nearly goes over the edge, but it pulls back in time and may merit a 3-digit score in the bottle."

Some of my current supply.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 11:47 AM   #81
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Just got my allotment of Hundred Acre 2012 Ark and can't wait to open first bottle!

Robert Parker Review:

2012 Hundred Acre Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Ark Vineyard

WA # , #209 (Oct 2013)

Rating: (96-100)

"The 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon Ark Vineyard stood out for its combination of power, purity, sweetness of fruit and tannin, lavish concentration and impeccable harmony.

This is a full throttle, extravagantly rich, intense wine that offers everything with more intensity, depth and layered impression. It possesses abundant blueberry and blackberry liqueur notes as well as notions of forest floor, spring flowers (acacias and violets), graphite and chocolate. This amazing effort nearly goes over the edge, but it pulls back in time and may merit a 3-digit score in the bottle."

Some of my current supply.

Wow

I had the pleasure of having their 2008 Kayli Morgan cab this past Christmas. Luxurious was the only word that came to mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 November 2014, 11:58 AM   #82
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Wow

I had the pleasure of having their 2008 Kayli Morgan cab this past Christmas. Luxurious was the only word that came to mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great stuff!! Got my allotment of 2012 Kayli Morgan recently as well also rating 96-100 most likely 100 like the Ark.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2014, 05:47 AM   #83
yakmeister
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613 LN
I have been very fond of Mira recently. A newish label but doing some wonderful things. It's in the $40 range and a very good deal for a Napa Cab.
Old 14 November 2014, 05:48 AM   #84
yakmeister
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613 LN
Of course once you identify your bottle for the evening, you need to open it and pour yourself a glass...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSuH9u0kvhU
Old 14 November 2014, 06:03 AM   #85
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
One of each of what is currently in my cellar.
Old 15 November 2014, 12:40 AM   #86
mikea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
personal favorite producers are:

pahlmeyer(all their reds)
kosta browne(pinot)
silver oak(cab)
round pond(reds)
elizabeth spencer(reds)
bacco davino (reds)
Old 15 November 2014, 01:14 AM   #87
nsxnext
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Here's one I shared with my SIL on Sunday night. Also light & great on it's own. My SIL & brother were in Vegas last week & she said this was on sale for $8. Excellent for that price!
http://www.apothic.com/index.php
If you like the red you definitely need to try the Dark Red. It's tough to find. I was able to pick up 6 bottles yesterday from my local wine and spirits store.

nsxnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2014, 05:10 AM   #88
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea View Post
personal favorite producers are:

pahlmeyer(all their reds)
kosta browne(pinot)
silver oak(cab)
round pond(reds)
elizabeth spencer(reds)
bacco davino (reds)
All fantastic choices
Old 17 November 2014, 05:52 AM   #89
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Simply...The Wine Thread

Last night we had a party for My wife's 50th birthday and opened up the wine cellar for people to choose anything they wanted. I decanted the Silver Oaks early in the day. The 95 and 96 were outstanding. The 01 was very good as well but the older vintages just outshined it.

The Thumbprint was an 05 Syrah blend they call Climax and it was a crowd favorite. White Oak is also a house favorite and it's one of the few wineries we've been to where we pretty much loved everything they made.

Sent from my iPhone and I blame autocorrect for any spellin' errs!
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2014, 06:28 AM   #90
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
One of each of what is currently in my cellar.
I am about to open a bottle of La Crema Pinot (firing up the grill)
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote