The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 7 February 2015, 11:21 AM   #1
Guest Account

Problematic Daytona, poor RSC workmanship, wondering what to do next

Hello fellow Rolex enthusiasts,

I have a SS Daytona that's currently at the RSC, and while the technicians try to sort it out AGAIN, I thought I'd vent a bit and perhaps get some advice or feedback on my experience.

Here's the lowdown:

I purchased the Daytona this past December from an AD (meaning new with warranty, etc). A month into ownership it started exhibiting an odd behavior. Stopping the chronograph at the 37 second mark would cause the entire watch to shut down, observable by the second hand completely stopping. It would start back up once the chrono was restarted and/or reset, but clearly not normal.

I took the watch to the RSC here in New York. The SA told me that he had been able to recreate the problem but that neither he nor the in-house tech had ever seen a Daytona with such a peculiar issue.

Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled about having to repair a month old watch, but was confident that it would come back in perfect working condition. I was told the repair would take ten days, which turned into a bit over 3 weeks because "they need additional time because in addition to the repair, we are also going to service the entire movement". Seemed like a bogus excuse for not delivering on schedule (don't they always perform a full movement service once the watch has been opened up?), but not a cause for concern.

Fast forward three weeks. I went back to the RSC to pick up the watch and was informed that it was in good working order. On initial inspection, the bezel and chrono hand seemed off center by a micromillimeter or so, but since I was running late, I just strapped it on and left to meet a friend for lunch.

An hour later, while testing the chrono, I discovered a new but related problem. Stopping the chrono at 37 seconds didn't stop the watch anymore. Instead, once the chrono hit the 37 second marker, it would tick off one minute on the subdial. It would then tick off another minute on the subdial once it swept past 12 o'clock (like it's supposed to).

In other words, in the span of a single (one minute) rotation, the chrono would tick off two minutes on the subdial.

I immediately went back to the RSC where they apologized profusely (although obviously not their fault). The SA gave me a long spiel about how they will send it to a repair facility elsewhere in New York where they use parts straight from Geneva, etc. This actually got me wondering, because I assumed all the repair work was done at 665.

So now I have multiple concerns. My first is that I have a lemon that may not be able to ever be repaired to satisfaction. My second concern is with RSC's competency. The fact they couldn't repair the watch properly the first time around is not confidence-inspiring, and it speaks very poorly of their QC that they let released this watch with such an easily spotted problem (not to mention the off center bezel and chrono hand). My third concern is the fact they "send" the watch elsewhere (perhaps a non-concern--maybe they don't do such repairs at 665 Fifth?)

I'm wondering what, if any, options I may have should the watch not come back absolutely perfect. While I hope and anticipate a good result, it's in my nature to prepare for the worst. Would it be completely bananas to request a new replacement watch if it were less than perfect or if it exhibits similar problems again?

Any thoughts, comments, or even a "hang in there" would be much appreciated!
Old 7 February 2015, 02:06 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
No, they don't always perform a full service when they open up a watch or fix a single issue.

I'm sure that they will work with you until you are satisfied..
Old 7 February 2015, 02:19 PM   #3
c.capt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk Sub
They do send out the watches for service sometimes when needed or when they are too back logged. For example, the DSSD has to be sent to Geneva for service because of the machines needed to test water resistance to that insane level.

I wouldn't worry too much, if they can't repair the movement, they can always just put a new movement in there. Had that happen with my Ebel a few months back. Went in for repairs 3 times, finally the head watchmaker called me and said they were just going to replace the entire movement with a new one. Works like a charm now.
Old 7 February 2015, 02:23 PM   #4
Clay
Banned

Hang in there...!
Old 7 February 2015, 02:33 PM   #5
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
It's gotta be trying, but hang in there!

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Old 7 February 2015, 02:40 PM   #6
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.capt View Post
They do send out the watches for service sometimes when needed or when they are too back logged. For example, the DSSD has to be sent to Geneva for service because of the machines needed to test water resistance to that insane level.
I didn't know they went all the way back to Geneva. I figured Dallas or NYC could do that. I know they don't let Indys do anything to them but Jeez. How long that must take.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Old 7 February 2015, 02:40 PM   #7
Onceupon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400G,216570,
Sorry to hear about the issues you are having.

Hang in there.
Old 7 February 2015, 02:41 PM   #8
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
just curious, why are you needing to stop the chrono all the time at exactly 37 seconds?
Old 7 February 2015, 02:42 PM   #9
c.capt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
I didn't know they went all the way back to Geneva. I figured Dallas or NYC could do that. I know they don't let Indys do anything to them but Jeez. How long that must take.
Things may have changed recently but last I heard, they partnered with COMEX to build a machine to pressure test the DSSDs.
Old 7 February 2015, 02:44 PM   #10
c.capt
"TRF" Member

Here's a pic of the test rig from Hodinkee:

Old 7 February 2015, 09:42 PM   #11
rozyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,DD,Exp1,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
just curious, why are you needing to stop the chrono all the time at exactly 37 seconds?
That's a very interesting question to me too....
Old 7 February 2015, 09:51 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
As it is so new, I would push for a replacement watch.
Old 7 February 2015, 10:19 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I feel your pain. It is very frustrating to purchase any good or service and not have it work to expectation. I believe they will make it right but based on my experience it always makes me question if I want the item anymore. The Daytona is a great watch and I have owned several over the years but have moved away from them based on size, cost and some other options in the Rolex lineup that work better for me. The Subs with the glide lock clasp really work for me. If it comes back wrong again I would ask them for a replacement watch and if you used a credit card for the purchase I would check on the benefits which may offer you some options.
Old 7 February 2015, 10:45 PM   #14
melons
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Panerai
I love reading these first post rants.
Old 7 February 2015, 10:56 PM   #15
Mugszy27
Banned

Watch: The wind blow!
The Daytona may be 30 days new for the OP but when was it really made? Could it have been sitting around a few months which may have caused the original problem (I know this is not very likely).

Rolex makes around 1,000,000 watches a year based on COSC certification reports. Based on reading the various forums it appears their QC is very good and I am heartened that there are not more reports of something going wrong. We all want our timepieces fixed and maintained quickly but with the number of watches that have to go back to service, patience I believe is necessary
Old 8 February 2015, 12:01 AM   #16
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I would push for a replacement. Never used RSC NY. Only Dallas or local Rolex tech.
Old 8 February 2015, 12:11 AM   #17
CabbageHead
"TRF" Member

I just told my working watch how much I love and appreciate it. Never let a day go by people! It could all change tomorrow!

Good luck to the OP.
Old 8 February 2015, 12:16 AM   #18
Poly
"TRF" Member

Change it and only use Dallas. Good luck.
Old 8 February 2015, 12:36 AM   #19
Guest Account

cht & rozyd

Quote:
I don't need to stop the chrono at exactly 37 seconds, although having the option to do so without the watch ceasing to function would be nice. The issue just happens to presents itself when the chrono is stopped at 37 seconds. More accurately, the watch stops working if the chrono is stopped anytime between 36-39 seconds.

Stopping the chrono at any other time does not induce the issue.

In fact, I only discovered the problem by chance. I like to time short flights to help alleviate boredom. I used the chrono function to time a recent flight that happened to last 2 hours 37 seconds. That's when the watch first stopped.

I couldn't duplicate the problem no matter how often I used the chrono after that, so I chalked it up as a one time occurance and put it out of my mind. It never dawned on me that the watch would stop working only if and when the chrono was stopped at 37.

I was showing a friend the chrono function some time later when it stopped again. I noticed that I had stopped the chrono at the roughly 38 second mark. That's when I made the connection.

I did a few test runs. Every time I stopped chrono hand between 36-39 seconds, the watch would stop as well. Stop it at 33? No problems. At 40? Fine. 15? 20? 50? Perfect.

There was, and is, something clearly wrong at the 37 second mark that was causing the watch to seize. The fact that the "new" problem (the additional minute click) is also occurring at exactly the 37 second mark further speaks to a problem in that very specific area.

Anyway, I appreciate the question. I'm sure others were curious as well.
Old 8 February 2015, 12:47 AM   #20
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by melons View Post
I love reading these first post rants.
I apologize profusely.

I'm sure it's entirely my fault that you somehow got duped into reading and commenting on this thread. I can only assume it was poor word choice on my part. After all, "Problematic Daytona, poor RSC workmanship" obviously indicates a happy, celebratory thread full of pictures of unicorns with 116250s on their horns.

I'll strive for greater clarity next time.
Old 8 February 2015, 12:47 AM   #21
Guest Account

Thank you, all. I'm obviously a bit on pins and needles waiting to see if the watch will be 100%, so it's nice to hear that most believe Rolex will make things right.
Old 8 February 2015, 12:56 AM   #22
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
No, they don't always perform a full service when they open up a watch or fix a single issue.

I'm sure that they will work with you until you are satisfied..
Thanks for the clarification, Tools (as well as the reassurance).

Makes sense that they wouldn't perform a full service on a minor issue, but it's a bit surprising that they initially thought a faulty chrono (which seems like it would involve a fairly significant amount of work) would fall under the "minor issue" category.
Old 8 February 2015, 01:04 AM   #23
Rolex king 68
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5074P
Just remember after your warranty is up you must pay for the repairs. Why chance it if you feel it's a lemon go with your gut feelings.
I would demand a new watch ASAP! You bought this and never got a chance to enjoy it. I would be all over them for a replacement.
Old 8 February 2015, 01:16 AM   #24
Furbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Who cares? It should work.
It's probably the same at 0:37, 1:37 and so on.
Old 8 February 2015, 01:18 AM   #25
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest Account View Post
Thank you, all. I'm obviously a bit on pins and needles waiting to see if the watch will be 100%, so it's nice to hear that most believe Rolex will make things right.
Oh I believe Rolex will make it right, but I think would push for a replacement at this point.
Old 8 February 2015, 01:50 AM   #26
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
As it is so new, I would push for a replacement watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I feel your pain. It is very frustrating to purchase any good or service and not have it work to expectation. I believe they will make it right but based on my experience it always makes me question if I want the item anymore. The Daytona is a great watch and I have owned several over the years but have moved away from them based on size, cost and some other options in the Rolex lineup that work better for me. The Subs with the glide lock clasp really work for me. If it comes back wrong again I would ask them for a replacement watch and if you used a credit card for the purchase I would check on the benefits which may offer you some options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Change it and only use Dallas. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex king 68 View Post
Just remember after your warranty is up you must pay for the repairs. Why chance it if you feel it's a lemon go with your gut feelings.
I would demand a new watch ASAP! You bought this and never got a chance to enjoy it. I would be all over them for a replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Oh I believe Rolex will make it right, but I think would push for a replacement at this point.

That would be the most satisfactory solution for me. I wonder if that's something Rolex would seriously consider.

For those who have suggested trying to obtain a new replacement--is there a specific corporate number I should ring? I'm only aware of their service center number and various AD's (neither of which would be helpful).

Can't seem to locate a main office number.
Old 8 February 2015, 02:48 AM   #27
Tools

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest Account View Post
. . .
Can't seem to locate a main office number.
They are not going to banter back and forth with you on the phone. If you feel you have an issue, send them a letter with the facts and your desires.
Old 8 February 2015, 03:19 AM   #28
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
My 2 cents

I would think that after this next attempt to fix the problem it still happens, I would want a new watch. Sorry about your troubles.
Old 8 February 2015, 03:39 AM   #29
melons
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest account View Post
i apologize profusely.

I'm sure it's entirely my fault that you somehow got duped into reading and commenting on this thread. I can only assume it was poor word choice on my part. After all, "problematic daytona, poor rsc workmanship" obviously indicates a happy, celebratory thread full of pictures of unicorns with 116250s on their horns.

I'll strive for greater clarity next time.
ha!
Old 8 February 2015, 03:55 AM   #30
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by melons View Post
ha!
Closed Thread