The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 February 2015, 02:00 AM   #61
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfrank View Post
Lastly from all those who "demand" a new watch. Yes that would be nice, but in my experience demands in corporations rarely get the attention that situations properly voiced do. Patience is a virtue and certainly the keyword here. Rolex needs to be given every opportunity to fix this situation.
Yes, they do. That "fix" IMO is a new watch, not "fixing" a watch that clearly has issues.

Op has been MORE than patient. Rolex will want to repair it -not replace- so 'demanding' a new watch altogether is appropriate and justified IMO. I have yet to see any watch come back from any RSC without scratches, dents, or other flaws that have been ADDED to the watch...including two of my own that were sent in.
Old 9 February 2015, 02:16 AM   #62
Danex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
OP could have gone years without noticing this issue. When I get home I'm going to pop my Daytona off its unicorn horn and test to see if it exhibits the same problem at 37 seconds. What a crazy phenomena!

116520 Cosmograph Daytona
116622 & 16622 Yacht-Master
114060 & 14060 Submariner
Old 9 February 2015, 02:23 AM   #63
Reu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
Yes, they do. That "fix" IMO is a new watch, not "fixing" a watch that clearly has issues.

Op has been MORE than patient. Rolex will want to repair it -not replace- so 'demanding' a new watch altogether is appropriate and justified IMO. I have yet to see any watch come back from any RSC without scratches, dents, or other flaws that have been ADDED to the watch...including two of my own that were sent in.

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danex View Post
OP could have gone years without noticing this issue. When I get home I'm going to pop my Daytona off its unicorn horn and test to see if it exhibits the same problem at 37 seconds. What a crazy phenomena!

Could be the next magnification issue?! Sudden onslaught of the 37 second fail!
Old 9 February 2015, 02:26 AM   #64
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I would want a replacement. Ask the AD that you bought it from.
Old 9 February 2015, 02:27 AM   #65
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Will test my zenith soon..at 37sec
Old 9 February 2015, 03:36 AM   #66
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

I have to admit I tested mine as well..
Old 9 February 2015, 03:56 AM   #67
mkw
"TRF" Member

Watch: RB GMT II 3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTC View Post
Yes! Or at least a full replacement movement.
question for all :
how much is the future resale value affected of this watch if OP were to sell it , say, a year from now , and a buyer appropriately asks for any " issues " ( service hx which is stored by RSC so OP cant lie ) and is told it had 1) replacement movement put in when new 2) orig movement " repaired " several times vs one that has never been opened up and running perfectly since leaving the factory ?

IOW, with so many like -new Daytonas that our trusted sellers can source, would anyone here buy HIS repaired watch , age being equal under 5 years ? and if so, would you demand a market adjustment ?

Your comments may help the OP in his case for getting a new watch from Rolex due to possible immediate " diminished value " .

I personally would have no interest in buying used any " iconic" watch with STRONG preowned market that had been mucked around with when new , ESPECIALLY a SS Daytona that it holds its value so well but at the same time is fairly easily available new or used ( i.e., not a unicorn ) .
Old 9 February 2015, 06:55 AM   #68
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw View Post
. . .
I personally would have no interest in buying used any " iconic" watch with STRONG preowned market that had been mucked around with when new , ESPECIALLY a SS Daytona that it holds its value so well but at the same time is fairly easily available new or used ( i.e., not a unicorn ) .

How is it different from any other Rolex that has been serviced ?
Old 9 February 2015, 04:13 PM   #69
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.capt View Post
Things may have changed recently but last I heard, they partnered with COMEX to build a machine to pressure test the DSSDs.
When I had mine serviced Dec/2013 I asked about where it would be done at, I was told local RSC's can perform the job. I don't know how because I thought these machines are in Geneva only.
Old 9 February 2015, 10:14 PM   #70
Camel
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsubby View Post
When I had mine serviced Dec/2013 I asked about where it would be done at, I was told local RSC's can perform the job. I don't know how because I thought these machines are in Geneva only.
I was told the same when I had issues with my DSSD in September 2014.
It came back from the Johannesburg RSC six weeks later working 100% .

I don't know what the "waterproof status" is, because I can't test it.
Rolex Deepsea D-Blue Horizon 116660 "3170xxxx"
Rolex Explorer II Polar 16570 "T20xxxx"
Rolex Explorer II Black 216570 "G53xxxx"
Rolex GMT-Master II 16710 "P32xxxx"
Rolex GMT-Master II Ceramic 116710LN "V97xxxx"
Rolex Submariner 16610 "Z61xxxx"
Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610LN "G79xxxx"
Old 9 February 2015, 11:33 PM   #71
Zoran
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655 Mark 1
Can we get a picture of the dial when stopped at 37 seconds?

Too bad that a new watch presents these problems...
I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction!

Good luck!

PS I scrolled all 3 pages but didn't see the unicorns
Old 10 February 2015, 12:25 AM   #72
TopNotchChach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
I would demand a new one. You paid good money for a timepiece to work correctly from the gates. I would be hot right now.
Old 10 February 2015, 12:58 AM   #73
RollieVerde
Banned

I find it truly bizarre if they were able to repeat such an odd problem they didn't just give you a new one and send the defective one back to Rolex Switzerland to find out what in the world went wrong. Very strange.
Old 10 February 2015, 11:33 AM   #74
mkw
"TRF" Member

Watch: RB GMT II 3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
How is it different from any other Rolex that has been serviced ?
my question was , as stated, in the context of pre owned value if he were to sell it in the next 12 months, with at least two attempts to repair it, not 5-7 yrs from now , vs new replacement movement or replacement watch !?
I.e., comparing it to the many Rolex Daytona watches sold on watch fora like this one here that are still under warranty period running normally from new.
Old 10 February 2015, 11:46 AM   #75
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melons View Post
I love reading these first post rants.
What a d-bag post. Good luck to the OP. There's no way I could have handled this so patiently as you have. Hang in there bro!
Old 10 February 2015, 12:34 PM   #76
melons
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
What a d-bag post. Good luck to the OP. There's no way I could have handled this so patiently as you have. Hang in there bro!
Thank you so much.
Old 13 February 2015, 10:20 AM   #77
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozyd View Post
I'm about to do that too today.... was wearing the Hublot the past two days. Not that Rolex would do anything for me, but for my own OCD... peace of mind.

Hahaha exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
Old 13 February 2015, 10:38 AM   #78
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Wow strange, maybe this is a time altering watch, and when the chrono is stopped at 37secs ALL of time stands still and everyone is frozen. Something like 88mph or twilight zone stuff.

Anyway, carry on everybody.

Good luck with a resolution OP.
Old 13 February 2015, 10:13 PM   #79
rozyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,DD,Exp1,Daytona
Proud to report that mine didn't have issues. Stopped at 1 second increments for 5 minutes. Phew. That and it's long out of warranty.

Any resolution yet op?
Old 14 February 2015, 03:10 AM   #80
Guest Account

No substantive updates to report yet.

I called the RSC this morning to see if their initial repair estimate timeline was accurate. Scheduled delivery of the watch has been delayed, presumably because of Presidents' Day.

On a related note, I received a letter from Rolex yesterday informing me that my watch was ready to be picked up. From the first repair :/
Old 14 February 2015, 03:27 AM   #81
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieVerde View Post
I find it truly bizarre if they were able to repeat such an odd problem they didn't just give you a new one and send the defective one back to Rolex Switzerland to find out what in the world went wrong. Very strange.

I actually wondered the same thing, especially since the SA made a point of telling me that neither he nor the on-site watchmaker had ever seen a Daytona that malfunctioned in such an odd manner.

Considering SA's have presumably dealt with countless watches, it's not a good sign when you present them with a problem that they consider sui generis.

Last edited by Guest Account; 14 February 2015 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: poor grammar
Old 14 February 2015, 03:52 AM   #82
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Wow, if there was ever a reason to only buy watches with functions that I truly need, this post seals it for me.

I really hope the watch gets sorted out. I can't believe the AD hasn't provided a replacement or at least something for you to wear in the mean time. I'd be looking forward to never doing business with them again.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 22 February 2015, 10:46 AM   #83
Guest Account

*update*

UPDATE:

For those that have been following along and are curious about my saga, I have an update to my Rolex Daytona misadventure. In short, it's gone from bad to worse.

I got a call yesterday morning from the RSC saying my watch was ready to be picked up. I thought the timing was serendipitous, since I had a flight to catch in the afternoon. I made plans to pick the watch up on en route to the airport.

I stopped by the RSC, luggage in tow. First thing I noticed was that it was completely smudged with fingerprints, but that wasn't a big deal to me. I ran the chrono for a full minute and it checked out fine. I scrutinized the bezel alignment, which also looked good (they corrected the misalignment per the worksheet). I strapped on the watch and left for the airport.

On the ride to the airport, I took out the cloth provided by the RSC to clean off the smudges. While polishing the watch, I noticed to my absolute horror that the RSC had put a good sized ding on the right side of the case. I cleaned the watch thoroughly and looked it over. Besides the ding, there were numerous scratches on the caseback, bracelet, and left side on the case.

(Before anyone asks why I didn't initially do a more through inspection of the case at RSC, let me just say that I was consumed with scrutinizing the chrono movement and alignment. It didn't even occur to me that there would be any exterior damage. After all, I left the watch at the American headquarters of Rolex--I expected and assumed it would come back in the same, like new condition I left it in)

Equally disheartening was the fact that the watch WAS STILL MALFUNCTIONING. Now, however, instead of seizing at the 35 second mark, or clicking an additional minute count at the 35 second mark, the watch now sporadically stops when the chronograph is stopped at the 55 second mark.

I decided that rectifying this situation was more important than catching my flight. I turned around, and for the second time, returned to the RSC less than an hour after having reclaimed the watch.

It took every ounce of self control to remain calm and courteous with the RSC reps (I knew intellectually that it was not their fault, but I was fuming). I informed them I was NOT going to leave my watch at the RSC for a third time, and only came back to alert them of the damage, the continuing malfunction, and express my utter dissatisfaction. They asked to take photos of the damage, which I allowed, and noted the malfunction. The SA couldn't duplicate the issue this time (which occurs much more sporadically than the first time around), but remarked that he did notice a "hitch" at the 55 second mark.

I told them that I was not willing to go through a third repair attempt of the movement, and that the damaged case was unacceptable, especially since the damage cannot be fixed with a mere polish. SA Shawn asked me what my preferred "end game" would be, and I told him a replacement would be the only solution I would accept. He took some notes, went to the back to make a phone call and told me that he had referred my case to Rami Sarabi. I believe he is the top service manager there, and will apparently call me this coming Monday.

I also called the AD about the situation. They are of no real help. They are happy to contact their Rolex rep and have the rep contact me, but are reluctant to provide a replacement, saying that they are only the middlemen, that Rolex has never provided a replacement to them in over 40 years of business, yada yada. Their preferred remedy would be to repair the watch AGAIN, which I flatly told them was a non-starter.

The AD service manager, who wasn't in when I called, will contact me on Monday. Since the only acceptable options for me would either be a replacement or a refund, I don't picture a fruitful conversation--particularly since they've made their position fairly clear.

SOLUTIONS:

I am waiting until Monday before doing anything else, as I hope Mr. Sarabi will be able to provide an acceptable solution. I am aware, however, that there may be limits to what he is willing or able to do, and so I am getting my ducks in a row should I need to escalate the issue.

I've prepared letters detailing the situation and my desired outcome to Rolex, the AD, the BBB, the Attorney General's Office of NYC and the state the AD is in--hopefully I won't have to send them out, depending on my conversation with Mr. Sarabi and/or the service manager at the AD.

I've also notified AMEX about the issue, who've been great. AMEX, like most of the posters on this thread, advised trying to resolve things with the AD. The AMEX rep said that I was past the 60 day chargeback window, but that they would most likely extend the deadline for me because of the cost involved and the lengths I had gone through to try and make the watch right. No guarantee of anything, of course, but the AMEX rep seems to feel that I have a very strong case, and it will hopefully spur the AD to do something other than say "let's send it to PA to get it repaired".

The rep also mentioned that I also have the option until next week to file a damaged merchandise claim with AMEX as well, which is more of a sure thing. I don't think I'll go that route though, since a) the damage was caused by Rolex, and they should be responsible for it, and b) claims are limited to $10K per incident. Unfortunately, because of the time constraints, it's either a chargeback claim or insurance claim at this point.

I am drained and not thinking clearly anymore. I would love to hear some feedback/advice, particularly on how to proceed. Have I, in my frustration, missed anything? Apologies for my inelegant English--it is not my native tongue.

ps--I'm attaching pics of the damage. I also managed to capture a short video demonstrating the 55 second chrono malfunction, but I'm keeping the video private for now.

Pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01884.jpg (48.9 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01887.jpg (65.9 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01888.jpg (48.2 KB, 574 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01889.jpg (55.4 KB, 575 views)

Last edited by Guest Account; 22 February 2015 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Poor grammar
Old 22 February 2015, 10:58 AM   #84
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
WOW... I am speechless...
Old 22 February 2015, 11:07 AM   #85
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Well, first of all, very sorry to hear about the ongoing nightmare. I think this is now out of the AD's hands, as RSC damaged the case. I mentioned earlier that I would be pushing for a new watch. I would be pushing even harder now. In fact, I would prefer a refund, since I doubt you are much of a Daytona fan any more. Good luck for Monday.
Old 22 February 2015, 11:12 AM   #86
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Well, first of all, very sorry to hear about the ongoing nightmare. I think this is now out of the AD's hands, as RSC damaged the case. I mentioned earlier that I would be pushing for a new watch. I would be pushing even harder now. In fact, I would prefer a refund, since I doubt you are much of a Daytona fan any more. Good luck for Monday.
Thank you. I'm still a fan of the Daytona--just not this particular example.

The RSC, on the other hand...

Of course, my opinion of them could change on Monday, knock on wood.
Old 22 February 2015, 01:15 PM   #87
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
Unbelievable...Sorry to hear that this has gotten worse...

Why not post the video?? I'd like to see.
Old 22 February 2015, 01:23 PM   #88
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
You've prepared letters to the attorneys general and the BBB? Because a watchmaker couldn't fix a watch in two attempts? Sounds like you've got a lemon, but I doubt the BBB will help much with that. Good luck though.
Old 22 February 2015, 01:38 PM   #89
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Redbulls View Post
Unbelievable...Sorry to hear that this has gotten worse...

Why not post the video?? I'd like to see.
I uploaded the video to Youtube, under my real name, and I'm not sure if I want that information in the public sphere just yet--after all, we (and by we, I mean Rolex, the AD, and myself) have just begun the resolution process. I just want to be cautious.

I uploaded the video so the relevant parties can easily view it if needed.

I'll gladly make it public if/when there's a final outcome, or if I feel it will be in my best interest to do so.

Also, there's quite a bit of rambling on my part :/
Old 22 February 2015, 02:11 PM   #90
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
You've prepared letters to the attorneys general and the BBB? Because a watchmaker couldn't fix a watch in two attempts? Sounds like you've got a lemon, but I doubt the BBB will help much with that. Good luck though.

I take issue with your reduction of the problem as merely "a watchmaker who couldn't fix a watch in two attempts". It conveniently sidesteps a few salient facts to make it seem like a very minor problem that I'm blowing out of proportion.

First, we're dealing with an item that cost in excess of $12,000.

Second, the watch is virtually brand new, and yet has been under repair for almost half the period of ownership. As you correctly pointed out, it's not a stretch to call this watch a "lemon".

Third, and most importantly, not only has the watchmaker (in this case, Rolex NYC, not a random mom-n-pop operation) been unable to repair the watch in two attempts, they've damaged and marred the watch in the process.

I'm not sure why you are so astonished that I am prepared to contact the AG and the BBB. It's my understanding that both agencies will act as an intermediary should Rolex and I come to an impasse. Considering this is an item that quite literally costs as much as a new car, I imagine they (or the AG, at least) would take this somewhat seriously.

You may be right--they may not be able to do anything, and it may ultimately prove unfruitful, but it seems like the next step to take before contacting my attorney (and I hope it doesn't come to that).

Certainly, if you have better alternatives, I'm all ears.

Last edited by Guest Account; 22 February 2015 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Again, grammar
Closed Thread