The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 22 February 2015, 02:17 PM   #91
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest Account View Post
Thank you. I'm still a fan of the Daytona--just not this particular example.

The RSC, on the other hand...

Of course, my opinion of them could change on Monday, knock on wood.
That ding on the top right lug is pretty severe. I have a feeling you will be getting a new watch on Monday, but if not, I would ask for someone to contact in Geneva before calling in the legal eagles.
Old 22 February 2015, 02:27 PM   #92
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
That ding on the top right lug is pretty severe. I have a feeling you will be getting a new watch on Monday, but if not, I would ask for someone to contact in Geneva before calling in the legal eagles.
Indeed, the ding is by far the worst of the bunch. The scratches, for better or worse, do not photograph well (but you can certainly feel them).

I really appreciate your optimism--I can certainly use it right now. I'm not nearly as confident about getting a new watch, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Just to clarify, did you mean I should ask someone at Rolex NYC to contact Geneva? Or did you mean I should ask for the name/contact information of someone in Geneva to contact directly?
Old 22 February 2015, 02:46 PM   #93
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Indeed, the ding is by far the worst of the bunch. The scratches, for better or worse, do not photograph well (but you can certainly feel them).

I really appreciate your optimism--I can certainly use it right now. I'm not nearly as confident about getting a new watch, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Just to clarify, did you mean I should ask someone at Rolex NYC to contact Geneva? Or did you mean I should ask for the name/contact information of someone in Geneva to contact directly?
The latter. It's worth writing to Geneva anyway, but threatening to take it to the top might work in your favour more immediately. Again though, I think you'll get satisfaction on Monday
Old 22 February 2015, 03:20 PM   #94
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
I take issue with your reduction of the problem as merely "a watchmaker who couldn't fix a watch in two attempts". It conveniently sidesteps a few salient facts to make it seem like a very minor problem that I'm blowing out of proportion.

First, we're dealing with an item that cost in excess of $12,000.

Second, the watch is virtually brand new, and yet has been under repair for almost half the period of ownership. As you correctly pointed out, it's not a stretch to call this watch a "lemon".

Third, and most importantly, not only has the watchmaker (in this case, Rolex NYC, not a random mom-n-pop operation) been unable to repair the watch in two attempts, they've damaged and marred the watch in the process.

I'm not sure why you are so astonished that I am prepared to contact the AG and the BBB. It's my understanding that both agencies will act as an intermediary should Rolex and I come to an impasse. Considering this is an item that quite literally costs as much as a new car, I imagine they (or the AG, at least) would take this somewhat seriously.

You may be right--they may not be able to do anything, and it may ultimately prove unfruitful, but it seems like the next step to take before contacting my attorney (and I hope it doesn't come to that).

Certainly, if you have better alternatives, I'm all ears.
I think you deserve a new watch. You only recently communicated this request to Rolex, which I expect they'll grant. I'm just saying predrafting letters to government officials before Rolex even tells you "no" seems excessive.
Old 22 February 2015, 03:20 PM   #95
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Very sad to hear and see.

I seriously hope you get a new watch out of this.
Old 22 February 2015, 03:38 PM   #96
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Thanks for this detailed account. I'm sure Rolex will make it right for you. Keep us posted!
Old 22 February 2015, 04:14 PM   #97
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
I think you deserve a new watch. You only recently communicated this request to Rolex, which I expect they'll grant. I'm just saying predrafting letters to government officials before Rolex even tells you "no" seems excessive.
I appreciate the post. As far as a new watch goes--well, hopefully from your mouth to Rolex's ears.

I'll admit that I'm an inveterate preparer by nature (ask my tax guy!) but the phone conversation with the AD is what got me typing the letters, because they basically told me NO.

They seem completely closed to the idea of providing a replacement---which I think they can be a more proactive in contacting Rolex about, if they aren't willing to provide one themselves--much less a refund (and I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with asking them for one anyway).

Basically, their stance is that they merely act as a proxy between me and Rolex, both in providing the watch and aftersale service. I'm not sure they would've even contacted Rolex or their rep if I hadn't insisted on it.

Anyway, I prepared the letters as a "just in case" while the details and names (and my righteous rage!) are still fresh in my memory.

Hopefully though, Mr. Sarabi will be open to a resolution that doesn't involve yet another movement repair attempt AND a repair of the damaged watch case so that I don't have to waste a stamp. I have heard through the grapevine that he is a reasonable gentleman, so fingers crossed.

I will say, also, that this experience has soured me on buying through ADs. I mean, what's the point?

Last edited by Guest Account; 22 February 2015 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Added verbal color
Old 22 February 2015, 04:26 PM   #98
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
Thanks for this detailed account. I'm sure Rolex will make it right for you. Keep us posted!
I'm not sure if my account if worthy of thanks, but I appreciate you taking the time to read it. The forumites have been a font of perspective, advice, and encouragement.

I'd buy you all a beer if I could.
Old 22 February 2015, 04:26 PM   #99
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
I appreciate the post. As far as a new watch goes--well, hopefully from your mouth to Rolex's ears.

I'll admit that I'm an inveterate preparer by nature (ask my tax guy!) but the phone conversation with the AD is what got me typing the letters, because they basically told me NO.

They seem completely closed to the idea of providing a replacement---which I think they can be a more proactive in contacting Rolex about, if they aren't willing to provide one themselves--much less a refund (and I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with asking them for one anyway).

Basically, their stance is that they merely act as a proxy between me and Rolex, both in providing the watch and aftersale service. I'm not sure they would've even contacted Rolex or their rep if I hadn't insisted on it.

Anyway, I prepared the letters as a "just in case" while the details and names are still fresh in my memory.

Hopefully though, Mr. Sarabi will be open to a resolution that doesn't involve yet another movement repair attempt AND a repair of the damaged watch case so that I don't have to waste a stamp. I have heard through the grapevine that he is a reasonable gentleman, so fingers crossed.

I will say, also, that this experience has soured me on buying through ADs. I mean, what's the point?
Yeah, not true. They buy the watches from Rolex then sell to you, they don't sell them on behalf of Rolex, nor do they carry them on consignment.
Old 22 February 2015, 04:43 PM   #100
Guest Account

Quote:
Yeah, not true. They buy the watches from Rolex then sell to you, they don't sell them on behalf of Rolex, nor do they carry them on consignment.
I am going to keep this post handy next time I speak with the AD.

With the way they're deflecting any responsibility, it had me wondering for a few minutes.
Old 22 February 2015, 04:55 PM   #101
watchabout
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
What do you mean is not their fault? Who's then? I'd hold on the AG letter for now but definitely threat with BBB. It is my understanding than state officials only get involved with fraud and stuff like that, you know, true criminal behavior, not sloppy service. But then again, I'm no lawyer.

You could also send a letter to Rolex in Geneva (in case you were referring about Rolex USA), they might threat with revoking their AD status and that alone should be incentive enough to give you a new watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 February 2015, 04:59 PM   #102
toneafficianado
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
As it is so new, I would push for a replacement watch.
This is sound advice..you shouldn't be having these problems.
Old 22 February 2015, 05:08 PM   #103
707soldier
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX USA
Hope for the best, but if it's not fix this time around.
Demand for a new replacement.
Old 22 February 2015, 06:32 PM   #104
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Personally i wouldnt want any resolutions other than a replacement. I would hate to worry if the issue will resurface in the future. U spent 12k on a luxury watch that has a solid reputation for a century but havent worn it half the time u owned it? Tsk Tsk Tsk. At least when i send my cars in for service, they lend u a loaner. I hope they make it right by giving u a new watch. Good luck n keep us posted.

Old 22 February 2015, 08:51 PM   #105
Furbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
UPDATE:

ps--I'm attaching pics of the damage. I also managed to capture a short video demonstrating the 55 second chrono malfunction, but I'm keeping the video private for now.

Pics:
Caseback has sticker on, how can there be scratches?
Old 22 February 2015, 09:19 PM   #106
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbo View Post
Caseback has sticker on, how can there be scratches?
You are mistaken. There is no sticker on the caseback.
Old 22 February 2015, 09:32 PM   #107
Howie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
No, they don't always perform a full service when they open up a watch or fix a single issue.

I'm sure this is correct. The irony is I was just at RSC NY last week and the service advisor was informing another customer standing next to me at the counter that every time they open the watch up they have to perform a full movement service because the oils and parts are exposed to air and may react or dry up causing damage. This sounded like nonsense but perhaps this is how they justify having to perform and charge for a full service on even minor issues that are not under warranty.
Old 22 February 2015, 10:49 PM   #108
smellychips
"TRF" Member

Watch: it guvnor!
hope it works out for you! ... you deserve a new replacement watch at the very least.
if you don't get what you want match the "ding" up with an identical one on the other side by hitting the offender over the head with it.
jokes aside ... hope you get it sorted
Old 22 February 2015, 11:21 PM   #109
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
OP , i feel your pain ,
it s a lemon , now it s a dinged lemon , replacement is a must,period.
The 4130 such a great,strong and well constructed movement that such a problem just couldn t appear if all parts and work are proper.

Please ask for a new piece and at least the first service FOC and tell them to do not forget the goodie bag .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Old 23 February 2015, 01:13 AM   #110
alubin
"TRF" Member

Watch: All please!
OP. This is a really crappy situation and you have handled yourself fairly well in the meantime. I would be surprised if they did anything but replace the watch on monday. That ding is serious, and the movement still isn't operating as it should. Good luck. Consider me subscribed.
Old 23 February 2015, 02:45 AM   #111
john_nch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710B
How does a ding like this happen at the RSC in the first place? I wonder why they didn't try polishing it out before returning?
Old 23 February 2015, 03:19 AM   #112
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
How do any of those dents on the case occur? Looks like somebody took a hammer to the case. My watches will never go to RSC New York, ever!
Old 23 February 2015, 05:08 AM   #113
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Sorry to hear about all this.
I've been following it from the beginning and imo you deserve a new watch - even if that damage on the lug did not happen.

I think that you have everything in hands and I'd follow Adam's advise if Rolex does not offer you a new watch by tomorrow.

As for the AD: Poor and lazy show imo
This kind of attitude makes them irrelevent in the case of another purchase. They've missed the chance to show them how good they are when something goes wrong.
Old 23 February 2015, 06:29 AM   #114
BoyhoodDreamDaytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Best of luck with tomorrow's call. Stand by your guns and insist on a replacement or a refund.

Also, write to Geneva; they need to know about sloppy AD's and RSCs
Old 23 February 2015, 07:43 AM   #115
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post

As for the AD: Poor and lazy show imo
This kind of attitude makes them irrelevent in the case of another purchase. They've missed the chance to show them how good they are when something goes wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyhoodDreamDaytona View Post

Also, write to Geneva; they need to know about sloppy AD's and RSCs
The AD's response hasn't been great thus far, but I haven't written them completely off yet. I imagine that this situation may be a first for them as well. We'll see how they opt to handle the matter when I speak with the AD service manager tomorrow. Perhaps they'll take the opportunity to shine.

Either way, I'll post the name of the AD once this is settled. Whether my experience with them ends up a testament to their exemplary service or a cautionary tale is completely in their hands.

As for the NYC RSC...well, I think we've all heard anecdotes about less than stellar handling of watches. After my experience, I'm inclined to believe the "sloppiness" issue may be more prevalent that I realized.
Old 23 February 2015, 08:42 AM   #116
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
If you crack open a watch they may need to change the seal and do a quick pressure test but that's it. Sounds like they are trying to bamboozle some people with that BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
I'm sure this is correct. The irony is I was just at RSC NY last week and the service advisor was informing another customer standing next to me at the counter that every time they open the watch up they have to perform a full movement service because the oils and parts are exposed to air and may react or dry up causing damage. This sounded like nonsense but perhaps this is how they justify having to perform and charge for a full service on even minor issues that are not under warranty.
Old 23 February 2015, 08:52 AM   #117
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
All I can say is good luck and I wish you the best. No one should have to deal with that, especially with a $12,000 watch. I get it, mass produced things are not perfect but that have had ample opportunity to make it right. The damage to a brand new case is absolutely unacceptable, especially that ding.

I had an AD re-install the band in my DSSD and got a couple scratches on the lugs but nothing like this.

Again, good luck and I am sure it will all go your way once they see the pictures of the case and hear that it is still not functioning properly.

Old 23 February 2015, 09:02 AM   #118
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

OP, I have been quietly following this thread and sending good vibes your way, but the last pictures you posted compelled me to break the silence and say this is utterly mind blowing. How could RSC treat any watch with such carelessness is completely beyond understanding. Monetary value aside, these things are precious to us, how can they be so reckless?!?! Rolex themselves! Unbelievable. I sincerely hope you get a replacement and use one of the trusted watchmakers in the forum for all further service needs. All the best to you tomorrow.
Old 23 February 2015, 10:06 AM   #119
datejusting
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
You discovered the case damage after you left the RSC premises. I really don't think they will accept responsibility for that. I don't think they will seriously consider a replacement watch based on that.
Old 23 February 2015, 10:26 AM   #120
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejusting View Post
You discovered the case damage after you left the RSC premises. I really don't think they will accept responsibility for that. I don't think they will seriously consider a replacement watch based on that.
It's possible. But they take exacting notes of the physical condition when they take it in. Do you really think they'll take the position that I did all that damage in the span of 30 minutes (from the time I left the RSC to the time I came back)?

But frankly, I'd rather they provide a replacement based on the fact it still doesn't function, even after a couple of botched repair attempts.
Closed Thread