The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 February 2015, 10:30 AM   #121
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
OP, I have been quietly following this thread and sending good vibes your way, but the last pictures you posted compelled me to break the silence and say this is utterly mind blowing. How could RSC treat any watch with such carelessness is completely beyond understanding. Monetary value aside, these things are precious to us, how can they be so reckless?!?! Rolex themselves! Unbelievable. I sincerely hope you get a replacement and use one of the trusted watchmakers in the forum for all further service needs. All the best to you tomorrow.
Thanks for the sentiment. You're completely right about the emotional investment we place in these watches.

This is the first occasion I've had to use the RSC for service. It'll be my last.
Old 23 February 2015, 03:41 PM   #122
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 - 14060M
Wow. Sorry to hear of your emotional roller coaster of events!

I kept reading posters saying "I'm sure .....". 1st thing I thought of was ...we cant be sure & saying blanket statements like that sounds odd. I understand the sentiment because everyone just wants you to get an amazing watch, which is what Rolex is all about. They are reliable & a trustworthy company. But, sure enough, the watch wasn't repaired to as new status. And here you are, upset, saddened, dismayed & betrayed. A joyous, happy moment, trust in a company to spend thousands of dollars with, dashed to hell because the watch was & still is, very faulty.
I hope the companies involved realize tomorrow that they have all dropped the ball & let this farce go on too long. Demanding a refund at this point is completely acceptable. And if you sleep on it & realize in the AM that you want to go continue with a Rolex.., you sounds get a brand new one!
Old 23 February 2015, 03:42 PM   #123
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
i don't like NY RSC. they botched my pepsi 5 years ago, and i've never been back since. instead, I deal with Dallas, who are more competent, and a heck of a lot nicer to boot. send it to Dallas.
Old 23 February 2015, 08:34 PM   #124
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

This certainly puts into perspective those people who say they'd never let anyone but an RSC service or repair their watch.

Hoping for a good result for the OP.
Old 24 February 2015, 01:12 AM   #125
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
I have just had a chance to read the subsequent postings to this thread. The pictures to your watch and the damage done to it or indeed horrible. At this point I must go back on my original thoughts and agree with you that replacement is the only option from Rolex. I think That you were on the right track with your options. I would at this point start a claim with your insurance company. Although I don't know who you are insured with I do know that my Insurance company has a relationship with Rolex. That may be true for other companies as well and they might be able to put better pressure on Rolex service center than you or I could

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
Old 24 February 2015, 01:48 AM   #126
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfrank View Post
I have just had a chance to read the subsequent postings to this thread. The pictures to your watch and the damage done to it or indeed horrible. At this point I must go back on my original thoughts and agree with you that replacement is the only option from Rolex. I think That you were on the right track with your options. I would at this point start a claim with your insurance company. Although I don't know who you are insured with I do know that my Insurance company has a relationship with Rolex. That may be true for other companies as well and they might be able to put better pressure on Rolex service center than you or I could
I am in full agreement with the replacement of the watch. Be very careful with the insurance claim to let your insurance company work it out with Rolex. For one this is not something that most insurance will cover. It is not lost or stolen. Second, even if you never get paid out from the insurance company it will still show as a claim and that is not good.

This is something that Rolex corporate or the RSC or he AD needed to pony up and make right. But now that the RSC has presumably physically damaged the OP's watch I say it is on them.

I would not accept the watch back knowing what would have to be done to fix the ding in the case. The scratches could be polished out I assume. My guess is that the RSC is going to offer to fix the case and repair the watch again. Maybe install a new movement.

I would have my AD call their Rolex rep and get them working on it as well.
Old 24 February 2015, 02:06 AM   #127
willang
"TRF" Member

Wow... I really feel for you! You deserve a new watch!

Reading this thread, I don't even dare to use my chronograph on my less than a month SS daytona now...
Old 24 February 2015, 02:37 AM   #128
Highland Ranger
"TRF" Member

I was going to take my GMTIIc in after 8 years for service at NY RSC. Since it is still running fine . . . . . I think I'll wait!
Old 24 February 2015, 05:35 AM   #129
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfrank View Post
I would at this point start a claim with your insurance company. Although I don't know who you are insured with I do know that my Insurance company has a relationship with Rolex. That may be true for other companies as well and they might be able to put better pressure on Rolex service center than you or I could
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
I am in full agreement with the replacement of the watch. Be very careful with the insurance claim to let your insurance company work it out with Rolex. For one this is not something that most insurance will cover. It is not lost or stolen.
Appreciate the thoughts, gentlemen.

Just to clarify, when I mentioned a possible insurance claim, I was referring to the "damaged/defective/lost" merchandise insurance American Express offers to items charged to the card (in the case of the platinum card, it's up to $10k per incident).

I have an insurance rider with State Farm, but as bdex75 noted, I'm wary of filing a claim and it's likely outside of what the policy covers anyway.
Old 24 February 2015, 06:42 AM   #130
Guest Account

*update*

Just got off the phone with Rami Sarabi.

He stated flatly that a replacement was a no-go.

His offer was to replace the entire movement, laser-weld the damage, and extend the warranty.

Seems fair, but I'm very tired of dealing with this. Anyone have any thoughts about the situation?
Old 24 February 2015, 06:48 AM   #131
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Laser welding a new watch? Time to take this up with Rolex HQ.
Old 24 February 2015, 07:06 AM   #132
Josh36912
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollee1 View Post
It is painful to read your experience, I am sorry to hear any new Rolex owner going through this frustration. Nonetheless a brand new 116520!

If this happens to me, right from the start I would have demanded a new watch or a full refund. There is no running around waiting for repairs and such. It's BS to me. Unacceptable.

A Swatch or Seiko would have simply been replaced or refunded.

A new Rolex experience should be of sweet dreams, not sleepless nightmares of worry.

Stand firm and best of luck.

It's the waiting that would get me too. Good luck OP.
Old 24 February 2015, 07:14 AM   #133
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Negative ghostrider. I am with Adam. Send a letter to Geneva. Or have your AD's rep raise hell.

I figured this is what they would try.

Sorry man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 February 2015, 07:14 AM   #134
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest Account View Post

His offer was to replace the entire movement, laser-weld the damage, and extend the warranty.

Seems fair, but I'm very tired of dealing with this. Anyone have any thoughts about the situation?
I think I would take the offer. NOT because I think it is fair, just because I would want peace and get on with my life. With the "repair", the exchange of the movement (lemon) and the extended warranty you should be fine. The alternative is an ongoing and time and money consuming fight. Would you really want that? Good luck to you
Old 24 February 2015, 07:20 AM   #135
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Negative ghostrider. I am with Adam. Send a letter to Geneva. Or have your AD's rep raise hell.

I figured this is what they would try.

Sorry man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My AD is completely useless. They've basically washed their hands of this.
Old 24 February 2015, 07:24 AM   #136
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
My AD is completely useless. They've basically washed their hands of this.
Who is the AD?
Old 24 February 2015, 07:28 AM   #137
Micha
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Who is the AD?
not the fault of the AD when RSC New York damaged the watch in what was supposed to be a repair under warranty...imo
Old 24 February 2015, 07:29 AM   #138
datejusting
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Take their offer, seems fair. I think that is the best they will offer considering the fact that
the case damage was found after you took possession and left their property.
Old 24 February 2015, 07:30 AM   #139
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:

I am totally in agreement with Adam.
Why would you accept to have the lug welded which has been heavily damaged on a new watch.

Ask to get in touch with the US HQ and contact Geneva if that fails.
And make them aware of this thread.
Old 24 February 2015, 07:30 AM   #140
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha View Post
not the fault of the AD when RSC New York damaged the watch in what was supposed to be a repair under warranty...imo
Yeah, but the AD has been passing the buck from the very start, before the case damage. Would be good to know who it is.
Old 24 February 2015, 07:38 AM   #141
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Do not accept this half arse proposal.

I work in manufacturing and laser welding is never a feasible solution for exposed cosmetic surface. That watch is and will never be the same after the damage NY RSC caused. Coupled with a faulty movement, you do not deserve to keep any piece of this watch.

Demand a brand new replacement and a formal apology from Geneva.

This is how laser welding on SUS looks like. They plan to weld the entire lug then grind to make the color uniform. Problem is, this lug will not be uniform with the other 3.

Quote:

Old 24 February 2015, 07:41 AM   #142
Micha
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, but the AD has been passing the buck from the very start, before the case damage. Would be good to know who it is.
I don't think all ADs have a watchmaker on the premises, so they refer warranty claims to the RSC, correct?
Old 24 February 2015, 07:52 AM   #143
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha View Post
I don't think all ADs have a watchmaker on the premises, so they refer warranty claims to the RSC, correct?
Correct, but the AD has told the OP early on that they just sell the watches on behalf of Rolex and are not responsible for them thereafter, or words to that effect. OP has been very unhappy with the AD attitude.
Old 24 February 2015, 07:53 AM   #144
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
Quote:

Does not seem "fair" to me. You've been patient enough, time for plan B.

Had they not damaged your case, the offer of a new movement could be possibly looked upon as fair but you have every reason to expect that the RSC would not send back a case in worse shape than they got it. A repaired and polished case is not the same as a new unblemished case. You deserve to put your own dings on your watch; not have them put in by the RSC.

I'd transpose all that has happened to date into a concise letter (including your before and after photos), send it to him, your original AD and Geneva with a preface stating you want to make sure all parties have the same understanding of the facts before you go thru the time and expense of escalating the matter and end with a statement indicating that anything short of you having a watch in your possession that is unquestionably as valuable as a fully working, never been polished reference is unsatisfactory and that this is their final notice that any costs going forward to rectify this situation will also be sought by you should they not replace your watch within 10 business days of receipt of this letter.

Send it Certified, return receipt to all three parties with a CC to any attorney you may know listed on the bottom (John Doe, Esq.)
Old 24 February 2015, 07:56 AM   #145
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
I'm lost for words. You deserve a medal for your calmness in this dire situation you find yourself in.
Old 24 February 2015, 07:59 AM   #146
Guest Account

Quote:
Who is the AD?
Brown & Co. Jewelers in Roswell, GA.
Old 24 February 2015, 08:06 AM   #147
Guest Account

Quote:
Correct, but the AD has told the OP early on that they just sell the watches on behalf of Rolex and are not responsible for them thereafter, or words to that effect. OP has been very unhappy with the AD attitude.
Indeed.

They've been half-assing it with their rep as well, according to what they told me.

I asked if they contacted their rep, and their reply was that they let their rep know that *I* wanted a new watch.

I questioned them a bit on this point. They (the AD) didn't request a replacement for a customer who's watch is obviously faulty, nor did they push for one. They AD seems to think that just letting the rep know that I wanted a replacement was more than enough work on their end.
Old 24 February 2015, 08:09 AM   #148
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

From bad to worse I think, shockingly bad attitude and service from Rolex, completely unacceptable.

Talking about going to Rolex Geneva now is I think not going to be a quick solution.

I would commence legal action now.

I would never buy a new Rolex anymore after reading about how Rolex treat their customers these days. The warranty is nigh on worthless. They're clearly in the business of selling new watches and not much else. Used only is the way to go and use quality independent servicing and repair where customer service and reputation are still of importance.
Old 24 February 2015, 08:18 AM   #149
Old Expat Beast

One of our UK members recently got a replacement watch from Rolex through his AD just because the cyclops was low mag. Here we have a piece with a faulty movement that has been damaged by RSC and they are just offering to patch it up. This reflects very badly on Rolex USA, and the AD.
Old 24 February 2015, 08:19 AM   #150
Guest Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePrince View Post
From bad to worse I think, shockingly bad attitude and service from Rolex, completely unacceptable.

Talking about going to Rolex Geneva now is I think not going to be a quick solution.

I would commence legal action now.

I would never buy a new Rolex anymore after reading about how Rolex treat their customers these days. The warranty is nigh on worthless. They're clearly in the business of selling new watches and not much else. Used only is the way to go and use quality independent servicing and repair where customer service and reputation are still of importance.

Frankly, I'm not sure if a letter sent to Geneva would help. I wouldn't even know where to begin (who should I address it to, for one?).

I've lost faith, that's for sure. Most posters seemed to think that Rolex would make things right, but the consensus seems to be that a new movement and a laser weld isn't "making things right".

Oh, and the other poster was correct--Rolex is not admitting to the damage. The impression I got is that they will repair the damage via laser-weld (and replace a chrono button, which, I hadn't noticed, is also damaged) as a "goodwill" gesture.
Closed Thread