The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 April 2015, 04:02 AM   #1
buddenfan
Banned

Daydate ii vs 40mm

I do not understand the fuss surrounding the new 40mm daydates. To me 1 mm case difference is barely noticeably so for those who hate the ddii and love the new 40mm please tell me why? Some people in other threads mentioned the ddii has a weird bezel but it looks fine to me so I dont understand this hoopla of excitement surrounding the new 40mm as if the 41mm is a completely different looking watch.

I have a dayjust ii and am thinking of selling it and buying a rosegold ddii with chocolate dial. I wonder if this piece will decrease in price
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 04:07 AM   #2
Kokoshawnuff
"TRF" Member

I've always preferred the DDII to the original 36mm, but there are some that have had issues from its initial release.

I like the DD40mm, but like DDII just as much. Just comes down to personal tastes
Kokoshawnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 04:17 AM   #3
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
The DD II looks fine to me, but I prefer the DD.

There are comments that the bezel of the DD II was not proportional to the watch, but I do not see that. I believe the DD 40's bezel appears to be smaller and "better proportioned" when compared to the DD II. Whether this is true or not is uncertain as with many things, it needs to be seen in real life and not pictures.

It is a shame the DD II is being discontinued because much like the DJ II, it is a the perfect blend of what made the DD a classic, while keeping in mind the current large watch trend.

Aside from the small size difference of the DD 40, it also has a new movement that is fantastic and what better way to celebrate a new movement than to put it in the brand's flagship model, the Day-Date. To me, that is pretty exciting.
Old 3 April 2015, 06:28 AM   #4
rudegar
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40 Pt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chan View Post

There are comments that the bezel of the DD II was not proportional to the watch, but I do not see that. I believe the DD 40's bezel appears to be smaller and "better proportioned" when compared to the DD II. Whether this is true or not is uncertain as with many things, it needs to be seen in real life and not pictures.

It is a shame the DD II is being discontinued because much like the DJ II, it is a the perfect blend of what made the DD a classic, while keeping in mind the current large watch trend.

Aside from the small size difference of the DD 40, it also has a new movement that is fantastic and what better way to celebrate a new movement than to put it in the brand's flagship model, the Day-Date. To me, that is pretty exciting.
+1 and I'm a DD II owner
rudegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 06:32 AM   #5
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
DDII's proportions were the problem-- particularly the honking huge bezel. Too much of a departure from the time-tested, iconic elegance of the 36mm's proportions. The 2015 40mm, which will still be a heckuva big watch, gets closer to the 36mm's proportions. Plus, I hate huge watches with the exception for those who have truly massive wrists and need them. But, the dweeb who wears a huge watch on a normal or even small wrist....good riddance. As for those who have very large wrists, there will be plenty of DDII's on the aftermarket.
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 06:47 AM   #6
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
The DDII is a fine watch, and still modest by modern standards.
The DD 40mm inspired a lot of wishful thinking by the Size Police, who can't seem to accept that not everyone shares their taste in watches. Truth is, there is plenty of choice for everyone so buy what you like and don't worry about other people's preferences.
Old 3 April 2015, 07:02 AM   #7
gipeto
"TRF" Member

It 'possible that next year Rolex will produce date just II 40mm.
gipeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 07:56 AM   #8
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
DDII's proportions were the problem-- particularly the honking huge bezel. Too much of a departure from the time-tested, iconic elegance of the 36mm's proportions. The 2015 40mm, which will still be a heckuva big watch, gets closer to the 36mm's proportions. Plus, I hate huge watches with the exception for those who have truly massive wrists and need them. But, the dweeb who wears a huge watch on a normal or even small wrist....good riddance. As for those who have very large wrists, there will be plenty of DDII's on the aftermarket.
Ye but do you really feel like 1 mm makes that much of a difference? I have a dayjust ii and my cousin has the daytona which is 40mm and side by side they look almost same size which goes to show that 41mm and 40mm isnt that drastic.

As for aftermarket, how low do you think the price will dip? I have been in love with the rose gold daydate ii with the chocolate face.
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 09:42 AM   #9
rudegar
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40 Pt
I agree with most of the posts on this, even ones that seemingly conflict. The perception of reality, size and elegance vary. It varies with me by the day. When I take off my IWC, my DD II seems petite because the face is so much smaller given the large DD bezel and the small IWC bezel. On the other hand when I see my DD II in the mirror its a big honkin lookin watch, a real statement even in White Gold. In yellow or red its a visual explosion. When you hold it next to a Chronomat 44, a DD looks small. So where and when you see it, your mood, everything matters. I bought WG because I like the subtlety that only a WIS knows what's on my wrist. And the weight is a bonus because it makes it feel even bigger than it is relative to other watches. So as many wise posters have said, if it speaks to you...
rudegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 09:51 AM   #10
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Decrease in price? Doubtful.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 01:44 PM   #11
fmc000
Banned

You have to look at it in the metal: it may be just one mm but the difference is clear. Proportions are everything.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 02:02 PM   #12
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Bezel seemed out of proportion in ddII to me when I tried it on vs the 36mm version.
In pics the dd40 seems to have better balance but won't know for sure until I get to try it on.
Old 3 April 2015, 02:19 PM   #13
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
DDII's proportions were the problem-- particularly the honking huge bezel. Too much of a departure from the time-tested, iconic elegance
I'm not a fan either. I find it interesting that it was released in 2008 which is kind of defiant given the downturns at the time.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 02:38 PM   #14
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I always thought it was a little strange making the Day Date II and Datejust II 41mm from the simple perspective that dressier models probably shouldn't outsize sport models. I think the watches themselves worked as far as proportions are concerned. I am just worried that the newer DD40 models won't have the same dial options at their predecessors. I know most are fans of the Roman dials, but I loved the ebony and ivory Arabic concentric dials and was hoping to pick one up brand new some day when I can afford a precious metal watch.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 07:03 PM   #15
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
Ye but do you really feel like 1 mm makes that much of a difference? I have a dayjust ii and my cousin has the daytona which is 40mm and side by side they look almost same size which goes to show that 41mm and 40mm isnt that drastic.

As for aftermarket, how low do you think the price will dip? I have been in love with the rose gold daydate ii with the chocolate face.

Imho there won't be a dramatic impact on price. Conventional wisdom regarding precious metal models will apply.
The best 'investment' you can make is to get the watch you love most.
Old 3 April 2015, 07:12 PM   #16
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=tomchicago;5739272]DDII's proportions were the problem-- particularly the honking huge bezel. Too much of a departure from the time-tested, iconic elegance of the 36mm's
Old 3 April 2015, 09:27 PM   #17
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Breaking News:

Rolex started with the 36mm followed by the 41 then the 40 - the finally settled on 40.5mm!!!

Now they can concentrate on others 👍
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 09:28 PM   #18
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
One thing for sure... Rolex will never stop manufacturing their flagship 36mm DD... I will stick with the icon
THC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 10:22 PM   #19
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chan View Post

Eric is 100% on target. Excellent summation, my friend.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2015, 11:19 PM   #20
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a DDII owner and love the watch. The size is one of the reasons I like the watch and transitioned from a YG Daytona to the YG DDII. I am a big man and the proportions work for me. What I have found is that ownership and wearing a watch daily is the true measure of when something works for you. I see people talking about the size of the DSSD and trying it on in the AD and saying it is too big but until you have it properly sized and wear it is hard to tell. I believe each watch or tool for its purpose. While you can dive in a DD, to a certain level, a Sub is probably a better choice. For bigger watches the person to decide is the wearer. The only thing about the DD40 that interests me is the movement. When they figure out a version of the Glidelock bracelet for the president band I may trade.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote