The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 September 2015, 11:08 PM   #1
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
Deep Sea Question

Guys, and gals, I am considering this Deep Sea watch.. should I hold out for the "blue" version? it's far more expensive, even used.. also.. I have a 6.25" wrist.. the Deep Sea is pushing it as far as size goes, but I tried on a deep sea SAT and have to say it wore better than the SD4000, on my wrist. the bulkiness lends itself well to this watch. I don't dive and don't need a watch this thick, but I love the dial's legibility and I love the "valve" writing around the dial.

I tried on this watch at an AD and it oddly fit as well as the SubC.. but I really won't know unless I get feedback from others or wear it for 6 months.
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2015, 03:01 AM   #2
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah114 View Post
Guys, and gals, I am considering this Deep Sea watch.. should I hold out for the "blue" version? it's far more expensive, even used.. also.. I have a 6.25" wrist.. the Deep Sea is pushing it as far as size goes, but I tried on a deep sea SAT and have to say it wore better than the SD4000, on my wrist. the bulkiness lends itself well to this watch. I don't dive and don't need a watch this thick, but I love the dial's legibility and I love the "valve" writing around the dial.

I tried on this watch at an AD and it oddly fit as well as the SubC.. but I really won't know unless I get feedback from others or wear it for 6 months.
Try it on at another AD, take a few pictures and post them on here.

I'm tempted to say that with 6.25" wrists, you could be pushing it but much depends on the shape of your wrists. Are they round or flat? A good rule of thumb that I learned on here is that if the lugs overhang your wrist then it's too big.

If you do decide to take the plunge, the D- Blue is most certainly worth holding out for. If you decide it's not for you after a few months, you'll have no trouble flipping it and you'll probably get more money too. Good luck.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2015, 04:00 AM   #3
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You may be one of the few that actually likes the writing on the lock ring! I don't mind it, but would be OK without it.

The ultimate test is really wearing the watch for a decent length of time. Trying it on in a store cannot provide enough info about whether you'll be happy with the weight and thickness. And experience of others here on the forum can't really help you make that decision.

Our feedback is only marginally helpful, except perhaps if you post pics we could give you our opinion on whether it looks ridiculously big on you or not. Ruud's statement about lugs going beyond the wrist is probably the best guide for whether a watch is too big.

If you love the blue dial, I think it's worth going for. The blue DSSD is not just another black-dialed diver, just thicker/heavier with greater WR than the SDC and Subc. It's in a different (not necessarily better, just different) category with the blue dial.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2015, 04:05 AM   #4
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
My wrist is a bit over 7" so not sure you'd experience the same end result but I too found that the DSSD sat better than a SD4000. Coming from several years of PAM wear, the Deepsea was a perfect transition back to the crown.
Mfrankel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2015, 04:13 AM   #5
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

I have both the Deep Sea and SD 4000 and like both. My wrist is 7" and flat on top so I feel comfortable wearing the Deep Sea. If your wrists really are 6.25" I think the Deep Sea is too big but only you can decide that. The blue dial version is very nice but I do not think it is worth the premium just for a blue dial. If I did not already own a Deep Sea, I might feel differently. There isn't anything that's really logical about purchasing a watch like the Deep Sea so you should buy the one you like!
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2015, 04:24 AM   #6
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
the VALVE writing is , I think, makes it look solid and unique and screams " Don;t Mess with Me"...:)

jeffgo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2015, 04:48 AM   #7
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm on my second tour of duty with the DSSD. Have had everything in between including the SD4000. My wrist is about 7 5/8" so it's a perfect fit for me, SD4000 kept feeling small. It is however a seriously thick watch, my wife won't let me wear that to bed (thinks she's going to get knocked out by it in the middle of the night...)

Regarding the choice between the blue dial and the regular one - I had the choice of either and if the price had been the same I think I would have still got the black dial, just my opinion. Can't go wrong with either, best of luck!
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2015, 04:52 AM   #8
johneh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
I love the "valve" writing around the dial.
I never though I'd read that sentence! I like everything about the watch except for that.

To your original question, I think it's going to be way too big for you. It's a huge watch, and I can't fathom it fitting you as well as a SubC with a 6.25" wrist. Everything about it is big.

Not my photo, just here to compare the sizes:
Old 30 September 2015, 04:58 AM   #9
evlkoala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Go for it as long as the lugs don't overhang your wrist. I have a 6.2" wrist so I can never wear the IWC Pilot and Panerai 44mm, the lugs overhang too much. it's like wearing a clock bracelet.
evlkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2015, 05:22 AM   #10
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Have you made a decision yet? I'd go with the original black dial, but that's just me. My 2c.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2015, 02:35 AM   #11
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgator View Post
Have you made a decision yet? I'd go with the original black dial, but that's just me. My 2c.
Thanks all. no decision yet. I need to try one at the AD.. for the same money, I might just buy a used vacheron overseas.

But if I get another rolex.... I think I will get a used black dial Deep Sea and just see what happens. The blues are simply not around, used.. I like the look of both.
Old 3 October 2015, 03:26 AM   #12
evlkoala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Thanks all. no decision yet. I need to try one at the AD.. for the same money, I might just buy a used vacheron overseas.

But if I get another rolex.... I think I will get a used black dial Deep Sea and just see what happens. The blues are simply not around, used.. I like the look of both.
I like the Vacheron Overseas
evlkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2015, 04:47 AM   #13
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by johneh View Post
I never though I'd read that sentence! I like everything about the watch except for that.

To your original question, I think it's going to be way too big for you. It's a huge watch, and I can't fathom it fitting you as well as a SubC with a 6.25" wrist. Everything about it is big.

Not my photo, just here to compare the sizes:
I have to agree. I have a DSSD and I have a 7.25 flat wrist. I think if u have smaller then a 7.00 wrist it will be too big. I would get the SD 4K
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2015, 11:33 AM   #14
Heo2
"TRF" Member

Hit the weight room or get a regular Sea Dweller/Sub.
Heo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 08:01 AM   #15
blah114
Banned

Here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.3 KB, 1113 views)
Old 28 November 2015, 08:19 AM   #16
DenaliHD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor GMT
Love the watch but it does look a bit large on your wrist. How does it feel?
DenaliHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 08:42 AM   #17
blah114
Banned

Honestly it feels same as sub
Old 28 November 2015, 08:44 AM   #18
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I must be one of the few here who thinks that although the blue dial is nice, the all-black is still nicer...
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 08:48 AM   #19
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Congrats on the new DSSD ! I just got my new one in today too !
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 08:55 AM   #20
blah114
Banned

I bought the blue because I know I'll easily get my money back. If I end up not liking it, I'll trade it for a black sub plus cash. The blue, in person, really is stunning yet understated. I was worried about the size, but when wearing it, especially under a sleeve, it's fine.

I too love the all black dssd. Both are great. I don't see the downside in either purchase.
Old 28 November 2015, 09:04 AM   #21
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
One of the first things I did today when I slipped the DSSD on for the first time, was to put on one of my dress shirts ( even though I only wear a button up shirt like once a month, I wanted to see if it would fit under the sleeve ) and sure enough, it fit under there ! Even if it didn't, my sports jacket sleeve it absolutely fits under lol
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 09:10 AM   #22
blah114
Banned

I bought the dssd because it's a bit different . and it is incredibly simple to read .
Old 28 November 2015, 09:15 AM   #23
DenaliHD
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the purchase! Some wrists (big and small) can handle the size while others can't. If it wears like a Sub, then you are good to go! Enjoy!!!
Old 28 November 2015, 10:29 AM   #24
blah114
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentindustries View Post
Congrats on the purchase! Some wrists (big and small) can handle the size while others can't. If it wears like a Sub, then you are good to go! Enjoy!!!
Frankly, on my wrist, most watches are too big.
Old 28 November 2015, 10:52 AM   #25
regaltrojan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 et al
Congrats!

Ditto! Congrats on your new investment.
regaltrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 12:28 PM   #26
DenaliHD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Frankly, on my wrist, most watches are too big.
As long as you can pull it off... I say more power to you!
Old 28 November 2015, 12:30 PM   #27
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
My only question is: why do you want to wear such a large watch?
Old 28 November 2015, 12:34 PM   #28
silverbullet818
"TRF" Member

I think it looks good. Its also how you wear it. It's only too big IF you think it's too big.

I also have 6.2" wrists and love my PAM's
silverbullet818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 01:00 PM   #29
roadsterdoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pelagos
6.25" wrist here. Most big watches do not feel or look right on my wrist, but the DSSD is an exception. I don't know why, but it just works. Looks great, feels great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roadsterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 02:08 PM   #30
Traveler3355
"TRF" Member

Definitely Deep Blue
Traveler3355 is offline   Reply With Quote