The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 December 2015, 09:41 PM   #61
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Karl,
Sorry, I never responded to your post. I do get what you are saying, and I agree on the ingress of water issue with both watches. I guess what it boils down to with me is that this new luminova 1665 doesn't have the same 'soul' that the patina'ed 1665 has. I would just be killed if anything happened to my first 1665. I won't be wearing either of these watches in the water, but that is due to the fact that I have no shortage of modern sapphire models to always risk while diving or swimming. The 'old' one comes out for wear for a couple days once a month or so........it gets similar wear to my 116619 WG sub. I do wear my most 'prized' watches less than the ones with no sentimental attachment.
Fair enough, Jason - makes sense, thanks. Cheers, K
Old 24 December 2015, 12:40 AM   #62
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablofields View Post
More "speculation"?!

Over on VRF: "FS: 1680 Submariner Luminova SWISS T < 25 Service Dial (2 Available). Here is a 1680 Submariner Luminova SWISS T < 25 Matte Service Dial (2 Available) - this is not the later Luminova with SWISS. December 21 2015 at 3:07 P.M."

If that's tritium I'll eat it!
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=318649

Enjoy your meal!
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2015, 01:21 AM   #63
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Nice link to a good read, and the thread you linked to speaks about tritium and 'toothpaste' service dials......but I truly fail to see you point. Are you implying that there isn't the possibility of a luminova service dial that is marked like a tritium service dial? Because I can assure you........if this is your implication, you are incorrect.

And you never answered my earlier question.......do you own luminova Rolex watches as well as tritium models at varying degrees of degradation? I can assure you......if you saw one of these service luminova dials as compared to other luminova and tritium models........you wouldn't be so adamant about continuing with this notion.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2015, 01:30 AM   #64
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
[QUOTE=Jason71;6346003]Nice link to a good read, and the thread you linked to speaks about tritium and 'toothpaste' service dials......but I truly fail to see you point. Are you implying that there isn't the possibility of a luminova service dial that is marked like a tritium service dial? Because I can assure you........if this is your implication, you are incorrect.

We've got to stop with this guy.......seems like he's just trying to be argumentative, unwilling to accept common knowledge. Feels very much like dealing with my two year old.
Old 24 December 2015, 01:39 AM   #65
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice link to a good read, and the thread you linked to speaks about tritium and 'toothpaste' service dials......but I truly fail to see you point. Are you implying that there isn't the possibility of a luminova service dial that is marked like a tritium service dial? Because I can assure you........if this is your implication, you are incorrect.

And you never answered my earlier question.......do you own luminova Rolex watches as well as tritium models at varying degrees of degradation? I can assure you......if you saw one of these service luminova dials as compared to other luminova and tritium models........you wouldn't be so adamant about continuing with this notion.
I'm not continuing with any notion and I'm not saying that a Lumi service dial cannot be marked T, there appears to be strong evidence for it. The tritium service dials for sale on VRF are very likely tritium. Some people seem confused that if the lume plots are almost white they must be luminova and this is not so. Luminova plots can also be yellowed as the thread demonstrates and tritium can be quite white. Yes I own both types of watches and Radium too, but no service dials.
Old 24 December 2015, 01:45 AM   #66
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=nsumner;6346017]
Quote:

We've got to stop with this guy.......seems like he's just trying to be argumentative, unwilling to accept common knowledge. Feels very much like dealing with my two year old.
You are free to ignore my posts as is any other member. I'm Not being rude, just having a discussion but if you don't like the discussion or my posts, ignore them. The member Pablo has canned the items for sale saying there is no way they are tritium and I am giving some evidence to the contrary.
Old 24 December 2015, 03:30 AM   #67
watchlovr
"TRF" Member

I own many tritium dialled watches, 1 is a Tritium 1665, I own 1 non glowing so called toothpaste" service dialled 1665, I own 1 glowing 1665 luminova service dial.

All dials are marked for Tritium in the usual way, are basically the same but it is easy to tell the difference by the colour and intensity (or not) of the glow of the lume.

I fail to see the point of the argument.
Troll?
watchlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2015, 04:40 AM   #68
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
I'm not continuing with any notion and I'm not saying that a Lumi service dial cannot be marked T, there appears to be strong evidence for it. The tritium service dials for sale on VRF are very likely tritium. Some people seem confused that if the lume plots are almost white they must be luminova and this is not so. Luminova plots can also be yellowed as the thread demonstrates and tritium can be quite white. Yes I own both types of watches and Radium too, but no service dials.
Ok........ I guess earlier I misunderstood you because I was led to think that you believed there wasn't evidence that there were service dials marked 'tritium' that were actually luminova.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2015, 12:39 PM   #69
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post

Troll?
Nice one maaaate!
Old 24 December 2015, 02:41 PM   #70
fmc000
Banned

Yes, troll indeed.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2015, 03:25 PM   #71
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Yes, troll indeed.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Wow some big calls here. I'll steer a wide berth around some of you.
Old 24 December 2015, 03:28 PM   #72
etp095
"TRF" Member

Very nice pickup, wear in good health!
pepsi gmt for dad(D)
polar expy II(z)
1675 gmt circa 68'
ladies datejust on jubilee for mom (z)
sea dweller16600(M)
SS Sub-C(g)
Omega Planet Ocean,45.5 on mesh(2500D)
etp095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2015, 03:47 PM   #73
pablofields
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not so fast, mate. Here's the relevant quote from Marcello:

"btw I have myself written something uncorrect : replacement dials with very thick and high indexes ( like the one posted by Springer ) ,
sometimes nicknamed " toothpaste-indexes " are not made with tritium or luminova but with a sort of dull and uniform paste that doesn't glow at all ( like correctly written by Springer ).
we could well define it " a tritium imitation " ( due to the colour that reminds faded tritium indexes ).
you can find them also in some replacement dials made for 1655 ( " freccione " ).
this odd material has been in use ( at random ) in replacement dials from the early 90s up to the present days."

Note that he wrote that the "toothpaste" substance DOES NOT GLOW. The VRF for sale post I referenced also had a pic of the dials glowing. So, the fact that the dials glow and the owner represents them as luminova suggests (I would say strongly) that they are luminova--not tritium and not the toothpaste material. As a side note, if it were toothpaste, I'd be ok with eating it!

Either way, I think that on the larger question we at least appear to be converging in on a harmonious agreement as you've posted that there is strong evidence that there are lume service dials with tritium marking. With that I agree
pablofields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2015, 08:09 PM   #74
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablofields View Post
Not so fast, mate. Here's the relevant quote from Marcello:

"btw I have myself written something uncorrect : replacement dials with very thick and high indexes ( like the one posted by Springer ) ,
sometimes nicknamed " toothpaste-indexes " are not made with tritium or luminova but with a sort of dull and uniform paste that doesn't glow at all ( like correctly written by Springer ).
we could well define it " a tritium imitation " ( due to the colour that reminds faded tritium indexes ).
you can find them also in some replacement dials made for 1655 ( " freccione " ).
this odd material has been in use ( at random ) in replacement dials from the early 90s up to the present days."

Note that he wrote that the "toothpaste" substance DOES NOT GLOW. The VRF for sale post I referenced also had a pic of the dials glowing. So, the fact that the dials glow and the owner represents them as luminova suggests (I would say strongly) that they are luminova--not tritium and not the toothpaste material. As a side note, if it were toothpaste, I'd be ok with eating it!

Either way, I think that on the larger question we at least appear to be converging in on a harmonious agreement as you've posted that there is strong evidence that there are lume service dials with tritium marking. With that I agree
Don't waste your time, one of the first rules of the internet is "don't feed the trolls" and he has got too much food already, even if it's the Holiday season.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2015, 08:22 PM   #75
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Don't waste your time, one of the first rules of the internet is "don't feed the trolls" and he has got too much food already, even if it's the Holiday season.
That's just a plain nasty accusation really, not to mention nonsense, even if my opinion is wrong and even if it's the holiday season! Seasons greetings anyway.