The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 December 2015, 04:30 AM   #1
doggy5
"TRF" Member

Help w/ 1973 Datejust Tiffany Branding

I just received this watch as a gift. It was given to the owner for a graduation over 40 years ago. Based on the serial number, it looks like the watch was produced in 1973. One owner. As you can see, it has been well-worn (and on a velcro band, no less)! The person who gave me the watch lost the bracelet years ago.

The watch does not work currently. The date still snaps at midnight but the watch doesn't run. I don't know what is wrong with it. The deal was he would give me the watch but fixing it is on me.

I'm trying to figure out how to restore this. My main question is whether the watch is highly valuable and special right now and whether I need to restore it only minimally or whether it is safe to have the RSC replace the dial and hands and crystal, etc. A few specific questions:
1) As-is, what is the watch worth?
2) What would the watch be worth if it were functional?
3) Would the RSC be able to fix this watch, or is to too old for them to work on it? What would just fixing the movement likely cost?
4) Is it worth replacing the crystal? Or will that ruin the value of the watch?
5) Is it worth replacing the dial, or will that ruin the value of the watch?
6) How much would it cost to replace the dial and the crystal?
7) Is this a plexi or sapphire crystal? If it is plexi, could I have it replaced with sapphire instead?
8) Is there anywhere where I can buy the right bracelet for this model?
9) Is the fluted bezel on this white gold or was Rolex using steel for fluted bezels back in 1973?

Thank you for the help. Happy New Year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2210.jpg (113.8 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2211.jpg (101.1 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2212.jpg (106.0 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2213.jpg (104.6 KB, 240 views)
doggy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2015, 05:20 AM   #2
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
1) As-is, what is the watch worth? Depends on what it needs servicing wise. $1500....
2) What would the watch be worth if it were functional? No bracelet probably about $3000
3) Would the RSC be able to fix this watch, or is to too old for them to work on it? What would just fixing the movement likely cost? Yes RSC could work on it. Probably best to take it to an independent in my opinion.
4) Is it worth replacing the crystal? Or will that ruin the value of the watch? Is the crystal scratched or cracked? If scratched try cleaning it up with some poly watch. If cracked replace it with a period correct crystal ie plexi.
5) Is it worth replacing the dial, or will that ruin the value of the watch? NO it will take away from the value.
6) How much would it cost to replace the dial and the crystal? If it needs a new crystal/plexi you can have on installed and done for approximately $100.
7) Is this a plexi or sapphire crystal? If it is plexi, could I have it replaced with sapphire instead? PLEXI. You can but it takes away from the originality of the watch.
8) Is there anywhere where I can buy the right bracelet for this model? Sure plenty of places like the classified section here, eBay, etc. But are you going to keep it or sell it?
Old 27 December 2015, 05:22 AM   #3
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Here are some eBay auctions so you can see valuations:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Tiffan...kAAOSw4HVWDupQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-Oyster...sAAOSwNyFWcw4m
Old 27 December 2015, 07:18 AM   #4
TimeToGo

Jim about covered everything, including some research for you.

A very generous gift. I would guestimate the gift to be in the $800-1,250 in its current condition - but also depends on what the watch needs to get it running (hopefully no major parts that need replacing and that a basic service will get it running). The reason I mentioned that value is because if you were to spend $500-1000 in repairs, the watch could be worth $2-2,500 give or take a few hundred dollars in either direction.

Yes, it needs a new crystal and service obviously. Where are you located? There may be some competent watchmakers (WM) in your area that may not be as expensive as if you sent to a Rolex Service Center.

Also, this is no way means that I am saying the Tiffany logo in your dial is legitimate. Also note that the dials used as comparisons from Ebay (priced pretty high) are in better condition than yours, which has some imperfection between the 4 and 5. I actually prefer the color blue. I am also not saying the Tiffany dials from Ebay are legitimate. I would not pay a premium for such a dial.

I have a similar watch as this one (plain Datejust) with plenty of battle scars (dial not perfect) and its my favorite beater. I would not change it.

Good luck with your decision!
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2015, 11:56 AM   #5
doggy5
"TRF" Member

Thank you, guys. This is really helpful. I appreciate it.

I'm definitely going to keep the watch.

Sounds like the consensus is that I should replace the crystal (yes, it is cracked) with plexi but not replace the dial or hands.

Should I have it re-lumed, or does that necessarily mean ruining the dial?

How can I find exactly the right bracelet for it? Can this be figured out from the serial number?
doggy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2015, 12:02 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Do you have the original Tiffany receipt/warrant paper? The watch would be worth more with it, but without it it's very hard to prove it's an original Tiffany dial, if you ever want to sell it.

To answer question 9, bezel is stainless steel. Watch reference is 1603.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2015, 01:14 PM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy5 View Post
Sounds like the consensus is that I should replace the crystal (yes, it is cracked) with plexi but not replace the dial or hands.

Should I have it re-lumed, or does that necessarily mean ruining the dial?

How can I find exactly the right bracelet for it? Can this be figured out from the serial number?

Yes, replace the crystal. Do not replace the hands or dial - regardless of what Rolex tells you

No, never re-lume an original dial - it is only original once.

No, you cannot figure the bracelet out without the original build-code. Rolex will likely know that information and be cheaper than the usual sales sites..

Old 27 December 2015, 02:17 PM   #8
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
As is, I think it's worth 1800. Go to a rolex certified independent watchmaker. Have it cleaned. New tube. New crystal. Should cost $500 max. The band it likely came with was a 62510h. While I love my fellow rolex forum members, I disagree w them. you can't get anything rolex under 1500 to 1800 these days.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2015, 03:54 PM   #9
southtexas

Help w/ 1973 Datejust Tiffany Branding

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Jim about covered everything, including some research for you.

A very generous gift. I would guestimate the gift to be in the $800-1,250 in its current condition - but also depends on what the watch needs to get it running (hopefully no major parts that need replacing and that a basic service will get it running). The reason I mentioned that value is because if you were to spend $500-1000 in repairs, the watch could be worth $2-2,500 give or take a few hundred dollars in either direction.

Yes, it needs a new crystal and service obviously. Where are you located? There may be some competent watchmakers (WM) in your area that may not be as expensive as if you sent to a Rolex Service Center.

Also, this is no way means that I am saying the Tiffany logo in your dial is legitimate. Also note that the dials used as comparisons from Ebay (priced pretty high) are in better condition than yours, which has some imperfection between the 4 and 5. I actually prefer the color blue. I am also not saying the Tiffany dials from Ebay are legitimate. I would not pay a premium for such a dial.

I have a similar watch as this one (plain Datejust) with plenty of battle scars (dial not perfect) and its my favorite beater. I would not change it.

Good luck with your decision!

^^That^^

And imo if 3 mil serial would've come with a 6251 folded link jubilee (or a USA oval link), they come up for sale here every so often.

The bezel is "engine turned" and not fluted. It is SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2015, 10:35 PM   #10
TimeToGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
As is, I think it's worth 1800. Go to a rolex certified independent watchmaker. Have it cleaned. New tube. New crystal. Should cost $500 max. The band it likely came with was a 62510h. While I love my fellow rolex forum members, I disagree w them. you can't get anything rolex under 1500 to 1800 these days.
Canadian dollars..
Old 27 December 2015, 10:37 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Canadian dollars..
as painful as it is, I have to laugh
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2015, 12:26 AM   #12
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Canadian dollars, touché ! The FX just kills me as I spend a lot of time in the US

But $850 for a men's DJ? Maybe you thought it was a ladies model. Got any $850 rolexes for sale?
Old 28 December 2015, 12:36 AM   #13
TimeToGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Canadian dollars, touché ! The FX just kills me as I spend a lot of time in the US

But $850 for a men's DJ? Maybe you thought it was a ladies model. Got any $850 rolexes for sale?
I'm bored this morning, I'll play along....

Read my response: "$800-1,250 in its current condition". Again depends on what the watch needs to get it running. If it needs major components (I do not want to scare the OP), then the cost of the repair could be pretty high WHICH would make the current value on the lower side.

I do not think you would buy a watch for $1,800 "not knowing" what is wrong with it..

Old 28 December 2015, 01:39 AM   #14
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
Classis watch and design. Well worth repair if you plan on wearing and keeping. The pie pan dials are not to expensive now and you could buy a dial to replace yours although I agree with consensus and would keep it as it. And a bracelet can be sourced around $500 to $700 or so U.S. The 15xx movements are great movements and unless water damaged can be repaired fairly easily and give good service. Good luck with it.
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2015, 02:44 AM   #15
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

I guess I have been lucky with my repairs to date. I usually clean and do the spring. My rolex watchmaker charges me about $300. After maybe 12 of these I have needed one date jumper in my 16750. Some have been dead in the water. Tubes and crystals are cheap.