The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 31 July 2016, 05:47 PM   #31
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
I have not been to a GO boutique, but Swatch boutiques that carry GO seem to be less than enthusiastic about discounts. I have not negotiated, though, as I already have a watch. I base my thoughts on the overall conversations about pricing.

Congrats on your GO 70s choice. If you plan to change straps or go from a bracelet to a strap, be prepared to either take the watch to a knowledgeable AD or buy a special tool that allows you to remove friction based pins. You do not want to hammer those out.
Thank you for the info and the heads up about the strap change. I've heard about it requiring special tools, but I wasn't sure what's the difference to regular pins. As for the strap, I'm planning to get the watch on a bracelet, but also order a short rubber strap right away. If the boutique staff says 0% discount, I'll push my luck and find out whether I could get a free strap + deployant. Those things go for EUR 800-900, but even if they gave it away with the watch, it's still hard to beat the discount offers from GO ADs and especially grey dealers... We'll see.
Old 31 July 2016, 10:51 PM   #32
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
Thank you for the info and the heads up about the strap change. I've heard about it requiring special tools, but I wasn't sure what's the difference to regular pins. As for the strap, I'm planning to get the watch on a bracelet, but also order a short rubber strap right away. If the boutique staff says 0% discount, I'll push my luck and find out whether I could get a free strap + deployant. Those things go for EUR 800-900, but even if they gave it away with the watch, it's still hard to beat the discount offers from GO ADs and especially grey dealers... We'll see.
Congratulations in advance!

I do not have knowledge to comment on your specific question. What I can suggest is to do your homework and walk in with a price you are comfortable paying and make your case. Then go from there but stick to your plan.

All this being said, let's bring this thread back to topic and please post a pic of the 70's you are intending to buy for us to drool over...
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 11:46 PM   #33
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
All this being said, let's bring this thread back to topic and please post a pic of the 70's you are intending to buy for us to drool over...
I assumed the whole topic is about GO watches, not just GO watch pictures -- considering the "including" word in the title

Anyway, my pick would be the blue dial version of course. I'm saying "of course" because that dial seems to be overwhelmingly the most popular choice among watch collectors. It's the most flashy, the most appealing, and probably it's got the most "70s" in its appearance. IMHO the white dial looks pale on the bracelet, but it looks great on the black rubber strap. The black contrasts with the white perfectly. However, the blue dial version looks equally great on the strap and the bracelet.

Here are my favorite 70s wrist shots, not mine of course

More stunning pictures from the articles at Les Rhabilleurs:

http://en.lesrhabilleurs.com/glashut...s-test-photos/

http://www.lesrhabilleurs.com/glashu...tage-shooting/
Old 1 August 2016, 12:15 AM   #34
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
I have not been to a GO boutique, but Swatch boutiques that carry GO seem to be less than enthusiastic about discounts. I have not negotiated, though, as I already have a watch. I base my thoughts on the overall conversations about pricing.

Congrats on your GO 70s choice. If you plan to change straps or go from a bracelet to a strap, be prepared to either take the watch to a knowledgeable AD or buy a special tool that allows you to remove friction based pins. You do not want to hammer those out.
?? I've never heard of GO using friction pins for the bands/straps; on my Sport Evo the strap/band are held on with spring bars, while the links have a quick-release mechanism that is the quickest and easiest to use of any watch in my collection. Is the 70s different in this regard?

Edit: it seems it *is* different in this regard, in a very bad way! Well, at least it still has the EZ links, lol.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 03:06 AM   #35
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:

Here are my favorite 70s wrist shots, not mine of course

Beware, this is an older model--the date wheel is white. If you want to get a blue model now, go with the one that has a blue date wheel.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 03:12 AM   #36
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Beware, this is an older model--the date wheel is white. If you want to get a blue model now, go with the one that has a blue date wheel.
I know ;) I equally like the old and new blue dial though.
Old 1 August 2016, 03:12 AM   #37
vman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
?? I've never heard of GO using friction pins for the bands/straps; on my Sport Evo the strap/band are held on with spring bars, while the links have a quick-release mechanism that is the quickest and easiest to use of any watch in my collection. Is the 70s different in this regard?

Edit: it seems it *is* different in this regard, in a very bad way! Well, at least it still has the EZ links, lol.
If your watch is on a metal bracelet, then you have nothing to worry about. EZ links make re-sizing easy.

If you want to go from a bracelet to a strap or from one strap to another, then you have to deal with friction pins. You may as well invest in one of these tools:

http://www.esslinger.com/horotec-del...nd-strap-tool/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ez-links-and-pins.jpg (17.0 KB, 1178 views)
Old 1 August 2016, 03:31 AM   #38
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
If your watch is on a metal bracelet, then you have nothing to worry about. EZ links make re-sizing easy.

If you want to go from a bracelet to a strap or from one strap to another, then you have to deal with friction pins. You may as well invest in one of these tools:

http://www.esslinger.com/horotec-del...nd-strap-tool/
Oh weird...so from your picture, those appear to be the same locking pins that are used on the links, so at least it appears that removing the bracelet is just like removing the links, push the button in and poof, you're done, but the strap sounds like a major pain in the a** to deal with. That sux...
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 04:13 AM   #39
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watch
Very tempted by the Panomaticlunar Blue Dial SS. Anyone have one that can talk me in/out of it?

Al1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 03:07 PM   #40
IGotId
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1988 View Post
Very tempted by the Panomaticlunar Blue Dial SS. Anyone have one that can talk me in/out of it?

A bit too thick!
IGotId is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 03:29 PM   #41
vman
"TRF" Member

This is a fantastic watch! Have you tried it on?
Old 6 August 2016, 05:24 PM   #42
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post
A bit too thick!
That's a common issue about German watches. The CEO of GO explained it's due to the 3/4 plate and the strudy construction of German watches. If you hate the thickness, fortunately there're plenty of Swiss watches to choose from
Old 7 August 2016, 05:44 AM   #43
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1988 View Post
Before picking up my white/silver dial PML I considered, and tried on a blue version. Although I love blue, the white seemed more elegant to me and the blue did not convince me 100% (perhaps a bit to dark but I can't pinpoint what I did not like). For me, it was also a long term planning issue since I would love to add a THC blue soon and an AP RO jumbo at some later point.

Definitively try one on to see what sings to you.
Old 7 August 2016, 05:47 AM   #44
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
Here's my RG Calendar week
Tim, what a beautiful and elegant watch! I know you have some very unique watches in your collection and I am not surprised you picked this rather 'unusual' complication.
Old 7 August 2016, 06:51 AM   #45
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I will come up with something in about a week or so.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 06:56 AM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Hello everybody,

I wanted to start a thread where all Glashutte Original fans, admirers, and owners could share pictures, opinions, and thoughts on this exquisite manufacture.

I will start with photographs of my PanoMaticLunar, reference 1-90-02-42-32-05 , silver dial. This is my first and only GO and I love it for its dial configuration, size, and movement decorations.

Share yours (or the one you would love to add to your collection)!

Attachment 759561

Attachment 759562

Attachment 759563
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2016, 08:34 AM   #47
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
One that's long gone but a beautiful piece. The white GO Observer.
Old 7 August 2016, 08:36 AM   #48
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
I will come up with something in about a week or so.
Can't wait Jocke!

I have not watched the DVDs yet (we have a brand new baby around the house these days...) but I hope they are not going to end up like Paul's gift!
Old 12 August 2016, 05:07 PM   #49
KeepTheTime
"TRF" Member

Posted this blue dial PanoMaticLunar over in the blue thread but thought you guys might want to see it here too:

KeepTheTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2016, 05:16 PM   #50
KeepTheTime
"TRF" Member

A few GO videos from our YouTube channel:

KeepTheTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2016, 01:32 AM   #51
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
A watch to count on.

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/gopmc.htm

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 05:07 AM   #52
themast
"TRF" Member

Great contributions everybody!

I just wanted to spice up the thread with a wrist shot

image.jpg
Old 2 October 2016, 10:48 PM   #53
themast
"TRF" Member

These are two interesting articles that delineate the evolution of watchmaking in Glashutte.

"During the GUB era, a large manufacturing building was constructed, in which all watchmaking activity was centralized. Today, after a major renovation, that building houses Glashütte Original."
Perhaps this was already clear to others, but I kept wondering what the physical relation between GO and the Soviet production was. So apparently the main building where Spezichron, Spezimat and the like were made is the same one where GO does production today.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...hutte-original

https://www.ft.com/content/eae597ca-...1-00144feab49a
Old 2 October 2016, 11:15 PM   #54
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
These are two interesting articles that delineate the evolution of watchmaking in Glashutte.

"During the GUB era, a large manufacturing building was constructed, in which all watchmaking activity was centralized. Today, after a major renovation, that building houses Glashütte Original."
Perhaps this was already clear to others, but I kept wondering what the physical relation between GO and the Soviet production was. So apparently the main building where Spezichron, Spezimat and the like were made is the same one where GO does production today.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...hutte-original

https://www.ft.com/content/eae597ca-...1-00144feab49a
And yet, somehow GO seems to keep a certain distance between itself in the modern era and the GUB years. Maybe it's a matter of IP (intellectual property), so it may never happen, but I personally would love to see more vintage revival pieces, having a closer design relationship with the old Spezichrons and Spezimatics than what the Seventies and Sixties line do have currently. Don't get me wrong, I love both the Seventies and Sixties family, but there are so many different designs in the old Spezichron and Spezimatic family that IMHO would worth re-issuing. If GO called them Spezichron and Spezimatic again, that would also be fantastic

I would also love to see a rose gold Seventies Panorama Date with a brown dial. It would look just as stunning as this old Spezichron:

However, in the new Vienna GO Boutique the staff said they can't see much hope for such a model to come out anytime in the future...
Old 3 October 2016, 04:34 AM   #55
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And yet, somehow GO seems to keep a certain distance between itself in the modern era and the GUB years. Maybe it's a matter of IP (intellectual property), so it may never happen, but I personally would love to see more vintage revival pieces, having a closer design relationship with the old Spezichrons and Spezimatics than what the Seventies and Sixties line do have currently. Don't get me wrong, I love both the Seventies and Sixties family, but there are so many different designs in the old Spezichron and Spezimatic family that IMHO would worth re-issuing. If GO called them Spezichron and Spezimatic again, that would also be fantastic
I do not know whether they called them 60s and 70s because of IP issues or because they did not want to get a close association to a product that was on a different level.

In any case, I agree that some of these old designs are sweet, and it would be nice to see more "heritage" pieces.
Old 11 October 2016, 08:40 AM   #56
ChrisInCharlotte
"TRF" Member

Anyone here have experience with the Senator Cosmopolite models? Just curious to see what the GO experts think about the piece..
ChrisInCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 08:51 PM   #57
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInCharlotte View Post
Anyone here have experience with the Senator Cosmopolite models? Just curious to see what the GO experts think about the piece..
I would love to hear too!

I have not seen one in person, but it looks very nice in photographs. In particular, I think the dial texture is fabulous. I would be a bit concerned with the 44mm size, given the dressy nature of the watch, but it follows GO style.

The only thing that I do not like is the night/day indicator. From what I can understand it adjusts to local time. In my opinion, when one travels several timezones it is more interesting to know, at a glance whether it is 12am or noon home... rather than in the local time.

Ah, at that price point there are a lot of alternatives.
Old 12 October 2016, 12:02 AM   #58
mdgrwl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Dealer
As a watch fan, I love me some GO - my personal Senator Excellence

mdgrwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2016, 12:01 PM   #59
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgrwl View Post
As a watch fan, I love me some GO - my personal Senator Excellence
White dial and blue hands, what not to love!?

Beautiful, congrats!
Old 28 October 2016, 02:16 PM   #60
themast
"TRF" Member

An interesting interview with Glashutte Original CEO Yann Gamard.

I like his explanation for the double G logo meaning. One G looks at the past and the other G stares at the future.