The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 May 2017, 02:59 PM   #1
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
6265 big red vs 1665 double red b&p

I'm having a hard time deciding. Both watches are around 25-28k US. Could someone give me an idea which might be a better deal? I'm having difficulty determining value as there are not alot of for sale ADs to gauge the price. I'm sorry no pics yet :(. Any general pricing info would be a huge help.

1. 1665 original dial in average condition, average case, good movement, with box and papers. I think it's a mark 3 dial but possibly mark 2 which would be nice.

2. 6265 big red silver dial. Original dial in average condition, case average condition, good movement, watch only.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 05:24 PM   #2
japenney
"TRF" Member

Really sorry no pics but any advice is appreciated. I trust both sellers :). Will update with pics when I can.
Old 19 May 2017, 05:55 PM   #3
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
6265 sounds cheap but it is difficult to say without seeing. What does average condition mean in this case?
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 06:06 PM   #4
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
6265 sounds cheap but it is difficult to say without seeing. What does average condition mean in this case?
I know the dials are not excellent on either watch so they may have a few issues but no major damage.I have not had a close look yet and I'm not informed enough to evaluate them in detail. The cases have been polished at least a couple of times and I would not call them thick but also not over polished. I know the movements on both watches are original. The 6265 has not been serviced in a long time but the 1665 was serviced last year by a vintage watchmaker that knows what hes doing. Does the 1665 having box and papers and potentially a mark 2 dial bring it to a price range that is close to the 6265? Sorry I don't have more specific info. I am still fairly new to this vintage game but I am loving this!
Old 19 May 2017, 07:59 PM   #5
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

I would expect a 6265 to trade higher than a Double red. I'd buy the best condition you can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 May 2017, 08:06 PM   #6
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
I would expect a 6265 to trade higher than a Double red. I'd buy the best condition you can afford.

I guess the question becomes how much value does the box and papers add to the double red?
Old 19 May 2017, 10:49 PM   #7
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
I guess the question becomes how much value does the box and papers add to the double red?
Really depends on the quality of the watch. If watch is great then b+p is nice. If watch is average or worse I don't value the extras that much.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 11:03 PM   #8
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
As stated above, the Daytona should be significantly more valuable, even though the 1665 has box and papers, assuming they are both in about the same condition. (The price of the 6265 would make me a little suspicious, frankly, unless it's trashed.) The boxes/papers should add about 25 percent to the value of the DRSD, maybe more. Still, you'd need to see photos.

Also, the most important aspect, IMHO, would be which reference you prefer. They're very different watches. Unless you're looking at them only as investments, I'd go with the one that sings to you.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2017, 11:30 PM   #9
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Really depends on the quality of the watch. If watch is great then b+p is nice. If watch is average or worse I don't value the extras that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
As stated above, the Daytona should be significantly more valuable, even though the 1665 has box and papers, assuming they are both in about the same condition. (The price of the 6265 would make me a little suspicious, frankly, unless it's trashed.) The boxes/papers should add about 25 percent to the value of the DRSD, maybe more. Still, you'd need to see photos.

Also, the most important aspect, IMHO, would be which reference you prefer. They're very different watches. Unless you're looking at them only as investments, I'd go with the one that sings to you.
I really appreciate everyones insight guys. So it looks like the 6265 will command a premium in value over the DRSD even tho it has B and P. If anyone has any more opinions feel free to keep them coming!!
Old 20 May 2017, 12:02 AM   #10
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
buy condition...condition is paramount
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 09:53 AM   #11
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:

⬆️⬆️⬆️ Good advice.. agreed. Do your homework, look at the dials, hands, cases, carefully. I wouldn't settle for mediocre on either one of these pieces. Hopefully the seller is up front and very knowledgeable on vintage. For my own piece of mind, I went with an outstanding, well-known seller here on TRF. Good luck... be diligent.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 09:56 AM   #12
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
⬆️⬆️⬆️ Good advice.. agreed. Do your homework, look at the dials, hands, cases, carefully. I wouldn't settle for mediocre on either one of these pieces. Hopefully the seller is up front and very knowledgeable on vintage. For my own piece of mind, I went with an outstanding, well-known seller here on TRF. Good luck... be diligent.
Thanks. I will try for some detailed pictures soon :).
Old 22 May 2017, 11:07 PM   #13
Davvan
"TRF" Member

Watch: out..make way!!
I have had both...silver 6265 and a DRSD......6265 is a nice watch for sure.....but a bit boring in the long run.......1665 gave me more joy!
Old 23 May 2017, 12:46 AM   #14
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Do you care about the 6265 being a manual wind at all? I guess if you don't plan to wear it then it doesn't really matter, just something to consider.
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 12:59 AM   #15
Brunik
"TRF" Member

6265 for less than 30k? i will buy all!!!!

Its two iconic models... both should be in the collection.

Cheers
Brunik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 01:00 AM   #16
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post

perfect advice right here.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 01:02 AM   #17
japenney
"TRF" Member

thanks for the advice guys..i see people asking large premiums for mark 2 1665 double red because they have the brown dial...is this just sillyness or are they actually commanding a premium??
Old 23 May 2017, 01:08 AM   #18
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
thanks for the advice guys..i see people asking large premiums for mark 2 1665 double red because they have the brown dial...is this just sillyness or are they actually commanding a premium??
so called tropical dial and yes for sure a premium.
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 01:31 AM   #19
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
For true "tropical" dials, yes, although I find it to be an acquired taste and/or personal perference for whether they're visually more appealing than dials that retain their original deep black color. The nice ones are indeed more expensive.

Also keep in mind that the term "tropical" is thrown around a lot, and sometimes it's really just an inaccurate description for a dial with water/sun damage.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 02:43 AM   #20
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For true "tropical" dials, yes, although I find it to be an acquired taste and/or personal perference for whether they're visually more appealing than dials that retain their original deep black color. The nice ones are indeed more expensive.

Also keep in mind that the term "tropical" is thrown around a lot, and sometimes it's really just an inaccurate description for a dial with water/sun damage.
Thanks for the info...I am fairly sure this 1665 is a mark 2 dial due to the thin case and brownish dial but I only had a chance to see a pic once so far..the buyer is still deciding if they want to sell...I will make sure it is not water damaged.
Old 23 May 2017, 07:00 AM   #21
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Boy those are really different watches. It all comes down to personal taste. Sounds like a good deal either way.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote