The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2018, 02:42 PM   #31
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Old 16 January 2018, 02:42 PM   #32
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
I bought my first one in college. Had some money of my own. Took good care of it but i also went to a school where it wasn’t SO unusual. In high school it would have been totally inappropriate. You don’t want to give your kid’s teachers a reason to hate him! Maybe if he doesn’t wear it to school?
Old 16 January 2018, 02:58 PM   #33
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWatchNut View Post
I don't think a 14 year old should be gifted such an expensive watch.
I would at least wait until he achieves an important milestone, like a graduation...and even then I would go with a less expensive watch.
In fairness the OP does state that he was thinking of saving it for his Sons graduation.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 03:08 PM   #34
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
No issue giving your son a nice watch for his graduation - in fact I hope I'm in a position to do something similar when my Son finishes full time education.
However, I would wait until a little nearer the time.
If your son is really into watches, especially Rolex, like you say, I'm sure there will be a dozen or so different models he's interested in between now and then.
At 14 his tastes will change over the coming years and what he's 'obsessed' with now, may not be so appealing in 3 or 4 years.
Also, with 3 or 4 Basel releases who knows what little gems Rolex will release over the next few years.
Like I said, no issue you gifting your son a nice watch, it's just personally I would wait until a little nearer the time.
Good luck anyway with whatever you decide.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 03:35 PM   #35
John Ireland
"TRF" Member

I would buy him a nice vintage Rolex, give it a complete service and service papers and let that be the fire starter the inspires him to buy his next Rolex on his own. It will also be giving him a piece of Rolex history that he may treasure and pass on to his own son as his "first Rolex."
John Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 03:57 PM   #36
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

I would buy him a Rolex for a milestone in his 20s, like graduation from college. For high school graduation, maybe get him a nice automatic in the $1000 range like a Longines or Hamilton or Chr Ward--or a Tag for a bit more. For now, a Seiko automatic should do.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 04:00 PM   #37
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

why not imho
Old 16 January 2018, 04:05 PM   #38
SackLVG
"TRF" Member

Can’t wait to hear op on the news irate when his son gets his rolex stolen while showering and the naked hood rat takes off with Watch piece
SackLVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 04:35 PM   #39
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I wouldn't get my son or daughter a 10k watch so young. That's crazy IMHO. They have to earn it, work for it, learn the value of things by themselves.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 04:49 PM   #40
meganfox17
Banned

With a Great Watch comes Great Responsibility. A fantabulous timepiece that separates the Men from the Boys but frankly speaking, I don't think your teenage son is there yet not even after graduation. He needs to prove himself to everyone and earn his merits beyond a shadow of a doubt and I mean EVERYONE....
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 05:00 PM   #41
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega AT 150
Don't buy it now for him.
He's only 14 and his taste might change over the next years...
Henry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 05:13 PM   #42
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
I wouldn't get my son or daughter a 10k watch so young. That's crazy IMHO. They have to earn it, work for it, learn the value of things by themselves.
There you go...your quintessential typical Asian parents' mentality. I had a tough competitive upbringing too Mr VLC, as a teenager after school, I would stop and look inside through the glass display window of any Swiss watch boutique but never dared to go in....
Old 16 January 2018, 05:18 PM   #43
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
I entered the Rolex “world” only a couple of months ago and since then I’ve been addicted! By no means I’m an expert but I learned a lot about Rolex, luxury watches and it’s balue...... thanks to TRF sand its members

My 14 year old boy picked the habit from me and can tell movements in different Rolex models, knows the “lingo” and has been obsessed with Rolex

He was with me over the weekend at the AD when I picked up my LVc and was mesmerized by the YM40 Blue dial.

I’m thinking of buying it for him (without telling him) to give it to him for his graduation
1- before prices go up
2- before it gets discontinued (possibly)

I raise my kids to earn what they get and appreciate what they have, not to get thing easily but this time I’m so tempted to get it even though my wife thinks this is “spoiling”. He is a very responsible young man and no where near spoiled!

What would you guys do? Get it or let him work and Buy his first Rolex with his own money?
Personally i see it as spoiling
I will agree with your wife,sorry
Besides he might not like the same model after a few years
I see lots of user say get it , buy it etc but thats the Rolex
Fever talking
If you do mean it that your kids
Work for their items then let him work
For it
He will appreciate it more and you can always leave him the ine you are wearing now
It would have meant more to me
Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 05:38 PM   #44
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

My friend's (near 30) uncle bought his son (14 at the time) a BLNR. I thought wtf! For a child? But the boy appreciates it and loves his dad; at 16? Dad bought him a McLaren 650. I said wtfffff even louder. Lol

Money spent is relative; to me a BLNR is a significant purchase- to that family not so much so.

If your son loves and appreciates it, and you can afford it for him, I wouldn't see a problem...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 05:51 PM   #45
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCi View Post
My friend's (near 30) uncle bought his son (14 at the time) a BLNR. I thought wtf! For a child? But the boy appreciates it and loves his dad; at 16? Dad bought him a McLaren 650. I said wtfffff even louder. Lol

Money spent is relative; to me a BLNR is a significant purchase- to that family not so much so.

If your son loves and appreciates it, and you can afford it for him, I wouldn't see a problem...

Wow.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 05:58 PM   #46
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
Wow.

Trust me, I still say that every time he snaps pics of his car to his cousin (my friend) who shares with me. His dad owns two supermarkets in Nebraska; I'm still in disbelief. Lol

TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 06:01 PM   #47
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Seiko 5 Automatic, and he will likely avoid having it ripped, himself injured, and he can learn and enjoy a great deal about watches.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 07:49 PM   #48
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
There you go...your quintessential typical Asian parents' mentality. I had a tough competitive upbringing too Mr VLC, as a teenager after school, I would stop and look inside through the glass display window of any Swiss watch boutique but never dared to go in....
Ha ha. That means it wasn't the right time for you to go in ! Good things come to those who can wait, right? I was the same, I would look at Rolex and Omega watches at one of the ADs downtown going out with friends as a teenager, thinking wow aren't those nice!! Then I would see the price and think to myself that maybe one day I'd be able to afford one of these. It's good to have dreams and motivations in life :-).
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 08:24 PM   #49
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
Buy! But only give it to him when he is 'ready' for it or has earned it
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:03 PM   #50
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCi View Post

Personally al the above sounds over the top for me
Rich or not
Giving a kid a MC at 16 is a recipe for an accident
Kids need to learn to stand on their own feet
Life does turn out always as we want
Been spoiled and having all you want results in been weak when the s... hits the fan
I waited 8 years to get my first Rolex
I see in it all my sweat, thoughts and efforts I had to put to obtain it
Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:15 PM   #51
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
OP, unless I have missed it, you do not say whether you are talking graduation from high school or college.

If you are talking about high school, I am with your wife on this. For more reasons than I can list.

If you are talking about college, who knows what the future will bring. His taste may change, or he may not be at a place in his life where giving him Rolex is deserved or prudent.

There is also the practical matter that there will very little warranty left if you are talking about HS and no warrant left if you are talking about college.

Good luck with your decsison.
Old 16 January 2018, 09:18 PM   #52
16610v
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Next step is the vintage rolex world. Thars the ultimate world of rolex
Old 16 January 2018, 09:31 PM   #53
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not. I would start him in the watch journey with a cool Seiko or G-Shock and let him wear it and enjoy it for a bit. The tastes of a 14 year old may change and as he gets older he may want something else. If you want the YM to wear and possibly pass off down the road I say go for it. I see HS graduation as a nice Tudor Black Bay or Pelagos and College as a YM or Submariner/GMT.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 09:35 PM   #54
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
With respect, not sure what being Asian has to do with it. Mr. VLC's take sounds very much like what I have heard grounded parents of all nationalities, races, and all walks of life say from Paris to the Islands and all across the States.
Old 17 January 2018, 12:39 AM   #55
GFONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange / Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I'd wait till he graduates, then take him to the Rolex store and let him pick one out. Then go for a beer together. Make it a moment to remember.
This.

Also his tastes may change from time to time.
GFONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 01:38 AM   #56
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Thank you All for great input and insight
I never intended to give it to him now! I was thinking about buying it now and saving it for him till after graduation!
Mainly to beat the expected price hikes and because I now have a good relationship with my AD and can get a very good discount on it

I won’t get defensive and say that I don’t spoil him but I raise him to be a man who understands value and never take anything for granted.

I saw some good reason in gifting him a watch I wore but also to reward hard work and graduation with good GPA and making it into a good college (he wants to study medicine at Harvard) so making that milestone is when the watch would come out
Old 17 January 2018, 01:49 AM   #57
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I'd wait till he graduates, then take him to the Rolex store and let him pick one out. Then go for a beer together. Make it a moment to remember.
Excellent advice. And...his tastes may well have changed in that span of time.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 01:56 AM   #58
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
I won’t get defensive and say that I don’t spoil him but I raise him to be a man who understands value and never take anything for granted
DoctorA, just out of curiosity, is Mrs A enthusiastically reading all the posts on your thread?
Old 17 January 2018, 01:59 AM   #59
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I would 100% do it.

My father gifted me with a Rolex after my each major graduation.

They are my most prized pieces to this day, and I know how hard I worked for each one.

Each is engraved with the graduation date. Maybe something to consider.

Also- I wore a sub all through college, and there were no issues. It's about the kid more so than the environment IMO.

JPS
Old 17 January 2018, 02:03 AM   #60
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Graduation from HS = Used tutor, omega, tag etc. Great watches with some marks. He can learn responsibility and hopefully own it for life. If the plan doesn't pan out that way the loss of it wont be a punch in the stomach as much as a new YM from an AD.

Graduation from College and accepted into med school that may be a Rolex moment imho.

You can do as you please you know your boy better than anyone here.