The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 January 2018, 10:49 AM   #1
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
SOTC- 2017

Hi folks,

I posted this on the TZ forum but I thought I’d share my 2017 SOTC here with my TRF friends also.

First, what didn't make the cut in 2017:

My first "release" of the year was my AP 15400 with the white dial. It's been the only AP I've ever owned and I do hope one day to get back to the AP family. Maybe a Jumbo would be the ticket? I really really wanted to connect for life with the 15400 but I could not get the darn watch to fit right. Even with the 1.5 link it was either too tight or too loose. While I'm being completely honest too I think AP went a little too big with this reference. None the less, a forum member got a great deal and off it went.

The one I was most surprised about was my Patek 5711 with a white dial. I had the opportunity to purchase this one from an AD this year and I jumped at the chance. But for whatever reason it didn't sing and didn't stay long with me.

Next to go was my IWC Portuguese Auto 5001-07. I had this one in the collection for several years. I still attest that it's one of the most beautiful dials around. I think what got me was it felt just a bit too thick and was a little too large. I've found that 40mm is my sweet spot and this one just felt a little too big. It found a new home with a forum member and I'm hoping he is enjoying it.

The last watch to find a new wrist was my Rolex GMTii 116710 LN. I've owned this watch three times. Each time I sold it I knew eventually it would come back. And then one day I walked into my AD and saw the LN's cousin, the BLNR, sitting in the case. I made the mistake of trying it on. I proudly put it back in the case stating that I didn't see the value in spending thousands more for the BLNR. But then I couldn't get it out of my mind and I called up the AD the next day and told her I'll take it. Luckily it was still there. So the GMT LN said goodbye and was sold to a trusted seller.

New arrivals for 2017:

As I mentioned above the BLNR now proudly rests in my watch box where the LN used to for so many years. I guess it took me a while to appreciate the blue bezel but now I must admit, I'm smitten with this one. It just looks so darn great with just about any attire. I also happen to wear a lot of blue so it works out great!

My biggest surprise this year was not having the opportunity to purchase a Daytona 116500 from an AD, but that I really really love this reference. I had previously owned a 116520 with a black dial and never really bonded with the watch. It always felt just a tad too small and the polished SS bezel never really did it for me. It was lost towards the end of 2016 and I really never thought I would own another Daytona. But much like with the 5711, when the AD calls and offers you a Daytona it's really hard to do anything other than say YES! Now that I've spent a few months with the Daytona I can say without any doubt in my mind that I really love the watch. Everything that I didn't like about its older brother I love about this watch. It's funny because although they are the same size, this one just feels (or maybe looks) slightly bigger and my brain tells me it's the right fit. I also find the legibility an improvement. The ceramic bezel reduces some of that "bling" that I didn't like with the 11520 and I've found a Daytona that's a keeper!

This one is a fun one. I bought my first "nice" watch the year after I graduated college. I saw this beautiful Movado quartz chronograph at a boutique while travelling. It was my daily wearer until my wife bought me my first Rolex when we got engaged a few years later. After that the Movado really didn't get much wrist time. As my WIS journey progressed I made a few very foolish mistakes by selling off a few watches that had sentimental value. This was one of them. The good news is I sold it to a friend of mine and he was gracious to give it back to me, for free none the less! Although I can't get back some of the other mistakes, I'm really glad the Movado has come back to me. Yes it's not the most expensive watch. yes it's not an automatic. But it holds a special place in my watch box and I hope one day to pass it along to my kids (along with my others) and I hope they will enjoy it too.

My last acquisition for 2017 was a Rolex 16610LV. I really wanted to add back in a 5-digit reference. I found that I really liked the maxi dial on the LV which kind of gives it the best of both worlds between what I like about the 6-digits and the charm of the 5-digits. I found a very nice full set from a forum member who I have bought/sold with before and the LV came home to join the collection where I know she will stay for a very very long time.

Lastly, here are the watches that remained with me for all of 2017:

How can you own a Rolex 16610LV without it's younger brother the 116610LV. Admittedly this one does not get the wrist time it deserves but every time I do wear it I can't help myself. The green dial draws you in and doesn't let you go. Are the rumors true that Rolex will discontinue this one? Who knows? But if they do, I'm glad I have mine.

This is my trusty Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonphase. Some may say it's not a true Speedy but I say It's as Speedy as they come. I love the moonphase, it adds just a splash of dress to an otherwise sporty watch. Also, although the date function is a little hard to read, it's very useful. This one I bought the year my first Son was born so it's earmarked for him. Although by the time he gets it I'm sure it's going to look well-worn because it gets a lot of wrist time.

Last is my Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114200. Technically it's mine but my wife really is the one who wears it. I won't get into the story behind this one but there is a story to be shared some day. Regardless it's a keeper.

For Christmas/Hanukkah, I received a lovely watch box from my wife. I had grown out of my prior one this year and she was thoughtful enough to upgrade me to one with a few empty slots! She also bought me a book on the history of Patek. I think that's an invitation to buy another watch, probably even an invitation to buy a Patek, don't you think?!?

So what does 2018 have to offer?

Well, I really feel like I need to diversify away from just having Rolex. I don't want to let any of these go but I'd like to focus on some other brands. It wasn't my intention, it's really easy to get dragged back to Rolex if you're not careful. Although, I really do want to pick up a GMT 16710 coke/pepsi. We shall see. I also probably wouldn’t turn down a blue SkyDweller if I was able to get one from my AD, I’m on the list. Same with a Black DaytonaC

I could see myself with another 5711 except this time with a blue dial. Again, on the list. Perhaps a 5712. I'm on the list at my AD for both but who knows how long that will take. I think I'm in need of a dress watch, although I rarely dress up these days. But as a friend pointed out to me... I'm not a diver either and I own two dive watches. I’ve thought about a Patek 5396-R. I’ve been lusting after that for a little while now. Would fit the bill quite nice as a dress watch while still being causal.

So it looks as if there will be some waiting and a lot of indecision... I’m excited to see what 2018 will bring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 January 2018, 11:13 AM   #2
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Very nice collection!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 11:15 AM   #3
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
Thank you for taking the time to share! Wonderful collection!
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 11:47 AM   #4
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
Thank you for taking the time to share! Wonderful collection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Very nice collection!

Thank you!

Old 17 January 2018, 11:52 AM   #5
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Great collection and cool story. Your picture of your all black GMT is one of the best I've seen. Beautiful. In fact the picture is so good it overshadows your BLNR!
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 12:12 PM   #6
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
Great collection and cool story. Your picture of your all black GMT is one of the best I've seen. Beautiful. In fact the picture is so good it overshadows your BLNR!

I don’t disagree. The LN has something special about it that can’t touch the BLNR. It was actually my daily for many years. They being said I’m really enjoying the BLNR right now!

Old 17 January 2018, 12:28 PM   #7
McPGA
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Fantastic collection. It’s funny we have very similar tastes in watches...I have an IWC 5001, Speedy, BLNR - I subbed a Datejust for my 36 and I just tried on the AP you sold and loved it...maybe I’ll rethink it lol.

McPGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 12:42 PM   #8
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Great collection and write up...thanks for sharing

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 12:48 PM   #9
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPGA View Post
Fantastic collection. It’s funny we have very similar tastes in watches...I have an IWC 5001, Speedy, BLNR - I subbed a Datejust for my 36 and I just tried on the AP you sold and loved it...maybe I’ll rethink it lol.

Not gonna lie I kind of miss the 5001!

Old 17 January 2018, 01:01 PM   #10
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Great story and even better collection, congrats

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:32 PM   #11
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Awesome Collection.
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 02:34 PM   #12
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Great collection! Thanks for sharing!
Old 17 January 2018, 03:06 PM   #13
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Funny, I have the exact same Movado in my watch box. Great post. Thanks for sharing.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 04:40 PM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
We have similar taste. I’ve owned and flipped the better half of those

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the read
Old 17 January 2018, 05:10 PM   #15
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

I liked reading your story. Nice collection!

TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:44 PM   #16
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
I really enjoyed your story, thanks for posting! Great collection!
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:45 PM   #17
charcoal6666
"TRF" Member

Wow it looks nice

Wow it looks really nice on your wrist
charcoal6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 05:50 PM   #18
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Great collection , & good to get some background as to why your collection has changed over the year .
CPRWATCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 06:41 PM   #19
GFONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange / Rolex
Great collection.

IMHO, if you are going to buy the 5711 blue dial, I would rather buy the DD40. I think the DD40 can fit your need.
GFONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 10:08 PM   #20
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
What a fun and sensible ride. I share a lot of your observations (sold my 5711 and AP RO) and arrived at very much the same collection point. Well done my friend and enjoy them beauts!
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 10:38 PM   #21
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Lovely collection!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2018, 10:41 PM   #22
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCi View Post
I liked reading your story. Nice collection!
Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamorai View Post
I really enjoyed your story, thanks for posting! Great collection!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
Great story and even better collection, congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJM914 View Post
Great collection! Thanks for sharing!

You’re welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
Funny, I have the exact same Movado in my watch box. Great post. Thanks for sharing.
Gotta admit. The Movado is a heck of a watch. The bracelet is very high quality for the price and the dial is quite beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
We have similar taste. I’ve owned and flipped the better half of those

Hoping none of these get flipped but who knows!’??

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the read

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
Awesome Collection.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
Great collection.

IMHO, if you are going to buy the 5711 blue dial, I would rather buy the DD40. I think the DD40 can fit your need.
I’ve tried in the RG DD40 probably 5 times. It’s beautiful. I’m a little unsure if I can pull off a PM with a PM bracelet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRWATCH View Post
Great collection , & good to get some background as to why your collection has changed over the year .

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
What a fun and sensible ride. I share a lot of your observations (sold my 5711 and AP RO) and arrived at very much the same collection point. Well done my friend and enjoy them beauts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charcoal6666 View Post
Wow it looks really nice on your wrist

Thanks all!

Old 17 January 2018, 11:45 PM   #23
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Nice write-up, Josh. Congrats on an absolutely fantastic collection of stunning watches! Kind regards, -Rick.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 12:45 AM   #24
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great collection, Josh! I always enjoy seeing a SOTC post and reading the reasoning and stories behind the current lineup. It seems like you've been maturing tastes and enjoying the ride, which is what this hobby is all about after all.

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote