The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 February 2018, 01:13 PM   #31
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
The only hint I was given is that if you like the wings/anchor logo is that you should buy now. I'm guessing they'll just go with the similar logo that is on the Navi 8 models but the rest of the watch will stay the same.

...and probably lose the Breitling "B" and anchor off the chronograph second hand.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 02:28 PM   #32
rahible
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref. 214270
I think I would like it more with a throw back beaded bezel. Then again it might look more like a vintage Tituma than Breitling.
rahible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 03:31 PM   #33
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Navitimer 8 B01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahible View Post
I think I would like it more with a throw back beaded bezel.
You mean something like this?

arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 09:30 PM   #34
rahible
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref. 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
You mean something like this?

Oh Yes! However after seeing the pics in watchfred's post on breitlingsource, I think I like the watch a lot better. The originally posted stock photo doesn't seem to be a great representation. I'd definitely have to see it in person. The dials are definitely way cool, in my opinion.
rahible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 07:05 PM   #35
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Saw it in person this week - gotta say it really is a handsome watch, especially the three hander, which to me is the secret star of the collection.

In the end, who really cares what they call it or whether it has a slide rule bezel, when fundamentally it is a good watch on its own merits.

And it has everything we always bi*** about: a perfectly placed and color matched date window, proper water resistance, a beautifully clean and balanced dial, a distinctive design that is just strong enough to give it identity but discrete enough not to be the "early 21st century Breitling" type of garish, it offers a splash of color for those who prefer blue and a no-bs, sober black variant for those who don't. And its only about 11mm thick...

So what's not to like? Well I sure think I'm gonna get one.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 10:29 AM   #36
JacksonStone
Banned

I'm late to the party. I have mixed feelings about this line. On the positive side, I like that the brand is continuing with more refined looks and leaving its garish design period further in the past. Overall, it's a handsome line with plenty of options. I suspect that what seems bland in pics and digital renderings might look better in person.

On the negative side, I'm bothered that Breitling can't seem to make up its mind whether it wants to compete with Rolex or TAG Heuer: the three-hand models are ETA-based (except the Unitime), and the decision to put out both a 01 and 7750 based version of the chronograph is downright bizarre. Restricting the bracelet option to the lower-end Pro 3 is another problem, and might just be a deal-breaker for me. It's hard to go back to a pin-and-hole clasp after being spoiled by the Glidelock and Omega's latest diver clasp. I might expect it on ETA-based offerings, but on an in-house model with retail at $8k, I expect more.

I'll reserve judgment until I have a chance to see the models in person, but there are too many aspects of this line that prevent me from having unreserved enthusiasm, both for the line itself, and what it portends for the brand as a whole.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 12:58 PM   #37
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Restricting the bracelet option to the lower-end Pro 3 is another problem, and might just be a deal-breaker for me. It's hard to go back to a pin-and-hole clasp after being spoiled by the Glidelock and Omega's latest diver clasp. I might expect it on ETA-based offerings, but on an in-house model with retail at $8k, I expect more.
This is my one issue with at least the Navi 8 model. I don't understand putting the same bracelet on a potential flagship model with the in house movement as you do on the $3K Colts.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 01:16 PM   #38
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
This is my one issue with at least the Navi 8 model. I don't understand putting the same bracelet on a potential flagship model with the in house movement as you do on the $3K Colts.
I was actually hoping Breitling would develop an adjustable clasp for its higher-tier bracelets that could compete with Rolex, Omega and IWC, seeing as how the current Pilot clasp is a bit behind the curve now, as nice as the bracelet is overall. Putting a flagship on a Pro 3 is going in the opposite direction, and really makes me question how Breitling envisions itself relative to its competition.
Old 1 March 2018, 06:53 AM   #39
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/br...graph-hands-on

Hands on from H.

Apparently there will be finishing differences between the B01 and 7750 versions. B01s get panda dials polished cases "more finished" and crystal case backs, 7750 will be brushed with single tone dials.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 06:54 AM   #40
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I was actually hoping Breitling would develop an adjustable clasp for its higher-tier bracelets that could compete with Rolex, Omega and IWC, seeing as how the current Pilot clasp is a bit behind the curve now, as nice as the bracelet is overall. Putting a flagship on a Pro 3 is going in the opposite direction, and really makes me question how Breitling envisions itself relative to its competition.
I do like the Pro 3 style. I think the earlier 90s bracelets seemed a bit better put together. I agree the clasp should be upgraded for the Navitimer 8 line or that at least pilot bracelets be offered as an option. A pro 3 with a glidelock style adjustment would be a forward step for brietling.

I do wonder what they are going to do with B4B and Chronowerks lines, as those to me, are the flagships of breitling.
Old 1 March 2018, 08:21 AM   #41
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

The problem with the chronoworks line is that it's only one watch right now and was priced at $30K. For $30K, I don't see many people buying that over something else in that price range.

Read this article when you get a chance, I don't think the Bentley line will be around.

Monochrome Article
Old 1 March 2018, 08:34 AM   #42
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Read this article when you get a chance, I don't think the Bentley line will be around.

Monochrome Article
Interesting. Thanks for the link. Regarding Bentley, I didn't see a reference directly to it in the article (although, admittedly, I just scanned it at this point). I think we could read the situation a couple of ways. One way is that Bentley is not part of the new, four-collection breakdown, and is therefore a goner. The other is that Bentley stands outside the conventional Breitling brand as a standalone, and therefore is omitted from the four Breitling lines by default, but not because it's going to be discontinued. As it is, the Bentley line has always been treated separately, having its own website, and never shown on the standard Breitling website except for a link to the other site. I tend to think you're right, though: I don't see the Bentley line fitting in with the new direction.

FWIW, I could never get in the Bentley line. Aside from the fact most of them are too big and flashy for my taste, I can't ever see myself owning a watch that continually reminds me of a car I don't own.
Old 1 March 2018, 12:10 PM   #43
B.B.B.
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner lv m
Just get a Zenith if you're in to Chrono with a date function.
B.B.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 12:21 PM   #44
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
The problem with the chronoworks line is that it's only one watch right now and was priced at $30K. For $30K, I don't see many people buying that over something else in that price range.

Monochrome Article
Very interesting. I don't see where the emergency, aerospace, avenger line fit in this 4 model paradigm, hopefully it is wrong as the also mention a move to selita vs ETA. It would be a loss to lose the emergency and aerospace...
Old 1 March 2018, 12:32 PM   #45
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
Very interesting. I don't see where the emergency, aerospace, avenger line fit in this 4 model paradigm, hopefully it is wrong as the also mention a move to selita vs ETA. It would be a loss to lose the emergency and aerospace...
The article does say, "Each collection will also include three segments – elegant, elegant/sport, instrument/supersport." I wonder if the Professional models will be recategorized under one of the four lines. It's hard to think which one that might be - Chronomat, maybe? I know the Emergency, Aerospace, etc., could never have been considered Chronomats heretofore, but they could be "instrument/supersport" versions in a "robust, all-purpose watch" category. Interesting times for Breitling, for sure.
Old 1 March 2018, 12:54 PM   #46
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
Someone asked a question to the author of this article regarding the Colt and he touched on the quartz models. This was his response:

"@Wolf – we don’t have all the details yet concerning what will stay or what will be removed. Yet, it seems that the Colt, as you know it today, will probably be changed and added to the “all purpose” collection, alongside the Chronomat. What is sure though is that there won’t be quartz versions anymore. Give it a few months and we’ll know more about the future collections."

I'd hate to see the quartz movements gone since I think they're a huge part of the tool watches that Breitling produces.
Old 1 March 2018, 01:14 PM   #47
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I'd hate to see the quartz movements gone since I think they're a huge part of the tool watches that Breitling produces.
Likewise. I'm a big admirer of the Aerospace. That's says "Breitling" as much as the Chronomat and Navitimer, imo.
Old 6 March 2018, 06:37 AM   #48
breitlings
Banned

Pretty great article in a blog to watch today.

http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=1&t=64145 (they have the article and a table that wasn't in the article).

here are my main takeaways:

1) minimum pricing will now be 3600 CHF
1a) colt, skyracer etc are done.
2) "regular" quartz movements are done
3) "electronic" watches will remain -- e.g. mission, emergency, b55, aerospace, etc
4) watches will be segmented into 4 main segments with 12 total
5) breitling bentley collaboration may remain as they showed some videos of bentleys
6) Kern is super focused on marketing and segmentation as well as return to early models
7) "I can just open a drawer and get designs for new releases"
8) Selita may be used for 3 hand watches which will top out at 42 mm???
9) No plans to really reintroduce new movements etc "people buy brands not movements"
10) all inhouse chronos will be panda, all "external" chronos will be single tone.
Old 6 March 2018, 08:23 AM   #49
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

One thing to note on the panda dials for the in house movements is that watchfred, one of the biggest vintage Breitling collectors in the world, has mentioned that they won’t all be panda dials. He’s said over on Breitling Source that some may simply have contrasting subdials.