The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 February 2018, 07:15 PM   #121
33JS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 50th Ann
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-dail View Post
I think it;s time to make a switch to Patek
To a manufacturer of less attractive, less robust, much more expensive sports pieces?
Who's service costs are as high as turnaround times?

Not for me!
33JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 07:16 PM   #122
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Honestly not sure how I feel about this policy, assuming it does eventually come to the US. I don't buy this many watches so it would not affect me. For watches in such demand like the Daytona C or SS SkyDweller it is not unreasonable to limit supply to just one per customer. Of course those that want more than one won't be pleased, but I'm sure Rolex gets an earful from tier ADs to send more watches, Rolex is pushing back on their ADs to quit selling multiples. But limiting professional watches to 2 per year I think goes too far. If Rolex thinks this is going to make life harder for Trusted Sellers that is just going to do the opposite actually. They will still get watches thanks to Rolex's inefficient distribution chain, and those with the cash to buy two or more in a year will just pay the price.

Rolex seems to want to do battle with gray dealers but they should improve their distribution model instead. Make more of the watches people want, and get them into the hands of buyers.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 07:17 PM   #123
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Guess I’ll find out soon as I’ve had the white Daytona and due the black one soon!

Also be interesting to see if they make exceptions as know one big buyer of PM models getting kick backs with popular SS models and now after having 3/4 SS Daytona’s clearly not all for him!
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 07:25 PM   #124
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Guess I’ll find out soon as I’ve had the white Daytona and due the black one soon!

Also be interesting to see if they make exceptions as know one big buyer of PM models getting kick backs with popular SS models and now after having 3/4 SS Daytona’s clearly not all for him!
report back for sure. By my count we have 3 confirmations of the policy, plus one member who was contacted by his AD to "update" his details.

If i were you to be safe, id have the AD submit your wife's name for the watch. Id hate to have you denied at the last minute like OP. That is the obvious workaround.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 07:25 PM   #125
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
And you have no issue with all Rolex AD's having your buying information.

Including your neighbour next door (he works for an AD and you hate him ) and all his friends who now also have details of all your transactions.

Rolex must take the responsibility for this serious data breach.

Don’t you have Data Protection Act in Australia Eddie?

The penalties for data breaches like that are severe here.

It’s the same as you employer, your doctor, your bank and any other retailer who has your details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 07:38 PM   #126
Wilko
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2C TT
To hold your data, any company would not need your consent, but only need to show a legitimate interest as to why they hold your data.
The fact that you have shown interest in buying or do own one of their products is more than enough for them to demonstrate a legitimate interest in holding it.
Naff all you can do.
Also they’re not in the eu

I hope being on multiple lists isn’t an issue, as I’m on at least 4 for a hulk, to improve my chances of getting one, sooner rather than later. I only want one though, as I wear my watches and have never sold one, even the ones I haven’t worn in 20 years
Wilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 07:42 PM   #127
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyboy View Post
Not too sure how I implied I flipped it in my op...
I do understand the lack of "trust" in my word tho, it is possible I'm just a troublesome troll I suppose!
But as this suggestion seems to clear up the dispute, its an easy fix
That is a beauty .. I like the TT Daytonas more, but I'd totally rock that Daytona
Old 11 February 2018, 07:42 PM   #128
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
report back for sure. By my count we have 3 confirmations of the policy, plus one member who was contacted by his AD to "update" his details.

If i were you to be safe, id have the AD submit your wife's name for the watch. Id hate to have you denied at the last minute like OP. That is the obvious workaround.
TBH I’m no longer that bothered I initially wanted both but not interested now, however the better half has shown interested so plan was to get for her and then upgrade to a RG one at a later date.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 07:59 PM   #129
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
To hold your data, any company would not need your consent, but only need to show a legitimate interest as to why they hold your data.
The fact that you have shown interest in buying or do own one of their products is more than enough for them to demonstrate a legitimate interest in holding it.
Naff all you can do.

I hope being on multiple lists isn’t an issue, as I’m on at least 4 for a hulk, to improve my chances of getting one, sooner rather than later. I only want one though, as I wear my watches and have never sold one, even the ones I haven’t worn in 20 years
even if the AD is the one you did the business with, Rolex is still the grantor of the warranty. You have a connection to Rolex SA regardless. I agree its a legitimate reason to know your details.
Old 11 February 2018, 10:12 PM   #130
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyboy View Post
Not too sure how I implied I flipped it in my op...

I do understand the lack of "trust" in my word tho, it is possible I'm just a troublesome troll I suppose!

But as this suggestion seems to clear up the dispute, its an easy fix

Solid. He still owns the D5 boys. No flipper here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 10:41 PM   #131
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Whilst I can’t confirm the apparent policy stated in the OP I absolutely believe his story.

When I bought my BLNR last month the AD explicitly made clear that purchaser details were being shared with Rolex in order to clamp down on flipping. I was told that any customer found to have bought the same model twice would be blacklisted across all Aurum Group stores. They took a photocopy of my sales invoice so have my name and address on file.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 10:54 PM   #132
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Naff all you can do.
The genie got out of the bottle while we were looking at the shiny ball in the corner.

We could quit our current lives, shed ourselves of all aspects of modern life and live in a cave if it's really an issue.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 11:02 PM   #133
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Well at least this trend of interference ends any debate that it was the ADs who really cared about the greys, no it was Rolex all along. I doubt even a quarter of the AD staff had much idea of what was going on in the resale market nor cared, it's just a job to them, no the brand image and state of the market was always the concern of Rolex.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 11:03 PM   #134
adg31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Naff all you can do.

I believe that the GDPR applies to non-EU businesses trading within the EU and whilst there may be a reason for a business to hold data on you themselves I'm not sure they would have a right to share that data with independent businesses - such as AD's.
Ultimately I think the boundaries of the legislation will only come to be proven by precedent over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
adg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 11:06 PM   #135
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Exactly how does this work. I go into an AD who has a SS watch and I offer to buy it. They run my cc swipe the warranty card and I walk out of the store. When does this denial take place?
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 11:13 PM   #136
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
Exactly how does this work. I go into an AD who has a SS watch and I offer to buy it. They run my cc swipe the warranty card and I walk out of the store. When does this denial take place?
im assuming it refers to allocation pieces which in this instance would probably include watches the AD doesnt already have. hulk, blnr, sky d, daytona c, sea dweller, etc. I would be very surprised if this applies to stock the AD has, like an explorer II.

Im betting rolex isnt shipping the watches to the AD until AFTER a buyer is identified. Watches are to go to a specific buyer not to the AD to sell to whoever they want.
Think Patek application piece. That is what i am describing.
Old 11 February 2018, 11:14 PM   #137
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Whilst I can’t confirm the apparent policy stated in the OP I absolutely believe his story.

When I bought my BLNR last month the AD explicitly made clear that purchaser details were being shared with Rolex in order to clamp down on flipping. I was told that any customer found to have bought the same model twice would be blacklisted across all Aurum Group stores. They took a photocopy of my sales invoice so have my name and address on file.
Here’s the thing. Most of us here on TRF aren’t “flippers” in that we’ve purchased the watch solely for resale at a profit. That said my average hold of these things are typically less than a year as I’m always seeking another. Rolex make a fortune off these type of people. Apparently they don’t care and only 2 for you. . Also think how it downgrades your relationship as I’m sure there are many more people that buy 2, rather than 5. Here’s hoping the UK is test market and it fails.
Old 11 February 2018, 11:21 PM   #138
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Rolex predicting a Recession
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 11:23 PM   #139
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Here’s the thing. Most of us here on TRF aren’t “flippers” in that we’ve purchased the watch solely for resale at a profit. That said my average hold of these things are typically less than a year as I’m always seeking another. Rolex make a fortune off these type of people. Apparently they don’t care and only 2 for you. . Also think how it downgrades your relationship as I’m sure there are many more people that buy 2, rather than 5. Here’s hoping the UK is test market and it fails.
i agree with this 100%. Im not a flipper but i do get bored of watches and move on. I have never made money selling watches, not once. all losses.

The WIS community's buying habits can easily be confused with flippers/dealers buying habits. We are the ones getting screwed here. Secondary dealers will still find watches one way or another.
Old 11 February 2018, 11:27 PM   #140
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you buy two of exactly the same reference within a short space of time, then unless you are very unusual, you are buying the watch to make an immediate profit, which is possible to do in the U.K. on several SS models. Bearing in mind if, as a first timer you genuinely want one of these popular references and don’t want to pay up to 50% over MSRP then you might be waiting over a year to buy one from an AD, I think this approach from Rolex is completely legitimate.

Only selling two (different) SS watches per customer per year if true is, by contrast, a piss take.
Old 11 February 2018, 11:29 PM   #141
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
i agree with this 100%. Im not a flipper but i do get bored of watches and move on. I have never made money selling watches, not once. all losses.

The WIS community's buying habits can easily be confused with flippers/dealers buying habits. We are the ones getting screwed here. Secondary dealers will still find watches one way or another.
I agree. I've joked before we should get special AD/Rolex SA privileges depending on post count, but maybe now that's a useful way to prove you are a serious WIS buyer and not just a vulture flipper.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 11:30 PM   #142
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think Rolex wants to slow the turnover of their watches. In that sense they don’t care if it’s a WIS or a flipper, they just see watch re-entering the market. Less secondary transactions, slows price discovery and means it’s more difficult for market to understand “Demanded” value vs MSRP. Think Daytona and selling at $20k. Less on the market, less discovery and more likely high price non-AD transactions are considered aberrations by buying public.
Old 11 February 2018, 11:32 PM   #143
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I think Rolex wants to slow the turnover of their watches. In that sense they don’t care if it’s a WIS or a flipper, they just see watch re-entering the market. Less secondary transactions, slows price discovery and means it’s more difficult for market to understand “Demanded” value vs MSRP. Think Daytona and selling at $20k. Less on the market, less discovery and more likely high price non-AD transactions are considered aberrations by buying public.
that actually makes sense. I still dont like it, but i concede the logic is solid. Never considered turnover before as objectively there is a lot of it, even on the non price inflated models.

I like the YM, explorer ii, and the explorer quite a bit. I know i would not keep them very long already. I can see how rolex doesnt want to see all of them on the secondary market in a year, even if its not for a premium.
Old 11 February 2018, 11:33 PM   #144
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
If you buy two of exactly the same reference within a short space of time, then unless you are very unusual, you are buying the watch to make an immediate profit, which is possible to do in the U.K. on several SS models. Bearing in mind if, as a first timer you genuinely want one of these popular references and don’t want to pay up to 50% over MSRP then you might be waiting over a year to buy one from an AD, I think this approach from Rolex is completely legitimate.

Only selling two (different) SS watches per customer per year if true is, by contrast, a piss take.

Exactly - I’m not talking 2 hulks within 3 months. I’m talking, gee - I’d like a sub, explorer 2, and Daytona. I receive the sub, and Daytona then decide the Daytona is all hype machine and too small. So I need the explorer 2 in polar. Let me list my Daytona on the forums for sale. Oh yeah, there has now been a run on gmtc comic hero incomings on TRF so I NEED that one ASAP. But I’ve got this explorer2 that has a second time zone and is way too LARGE. That needs to go for the superhero. You see, the mind of a WIS. Just bought four from them while only “wanting 2”. Great for sales, great for the nut, sales at small losses on less capital etc. TRF is being shutdown.
Old 11 February 2018, 11:35 PM   #145
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I agree. I've joked before we should get special AD/Rolex SA privileges depending on post count, but maybe now that's a useful way to prove you are a serious WIS buyer and not just a vulture flipper.
There are plenty of flippers and resellers on here with very high post counts.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 11:35 PM   #146
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that actually makes sense. I still dont like it, but i concede the logic is solid.
I don’t like it either, but could see why they’d take this position from a business standpoint.
Old 11 February 2018, 11:38 PM   #147
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly - I’m not talking 2 hulks within 3 months. I’m talking, gee - I’d like a sub, explorer 2, and Daytona. I receive the sub, and Daytona then decide the Daytona is all hype machine and too small. So I need the explorer 2 in polar. Let me list my Daytona on the forums for sale. Oh yeah, there has now been a run on gmtc comic hero incomings on TRF so I NEED that one ASAP. But I’ve got this explorer2 that has a second time zone and is way too LARGE. That needs to go for the superhero. You see, the mind of a WIS. Just bought four from them while only “wanting 2”. Great for sales, great for the nut, sales at small losses on less capital etc. TRF is being shutdown.
Agreed. But then it comes back to the fact that WIS’ constitute a tiny fraction of Rolex customers. They can probably afford to piss every last one off. I’m yet to meet a Rolex owner who actually knew what they were wearing on their wrist besides the headline.
Old 11 February 2018, 11:52 PM   #148
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that actually makes sense. I still dont like it, but i concede the logic is solid. Never considered turnover before as objectively there is a lot of it, even on the non price inflated models.

I like the YM, explorer ii, and the explorer quite a bit. I know i would not keep them very long already. I can see how rolex doesnt want to see all of them on the secondary market in a year, even if its not for a premium.
In fact I think this policy has more to do with those discounted models than those at a premium. Without the frequency of secondary transactions it props up the prices of the watches such as Explorer 2 that sell at bigger discounts.

I’m guessing we’ll se a new 3287 Explorer 2 soon. All signs point to Rolex trying to move less demanded inventory currently for some reason.
Old 12 February 2018, 12:00 AM   #149
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
In fact I think this policy has more to do with those discounted models than those at a premium. Without the frequency of secondary transactions it props up the prices of the watches such as Explorer 2 that sell at bigger discounts.

I’m guessing we’ll se a new 3287 Explorer 2 soon. All signs point to Rolex trying to move less demanded inventory currently for some reason.
the more i think about it the daytonas etc might just be the red herring in all of this.
Old 12 February 2018, 12:18 AM   #150
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Wow...this thread hits on many, many underlying topics....LOTS of good comments.

First off -- this AD 'vetting' process....sounds like a bunch of extra work - for ADs to do, and if this methodology gets more widely proliferated in the future I wonder what it will do to AD/customer rapport overall....when then they will have to explain to all of their big customers how they can't sell them anything because they have reached their annual 'allocation'....whether it be all - or just hard to get references.

But...If it is Rolex trying more to simply 'govern' the hard to get references and allow for a wider dissemination...and not to Just the big customers or VIPs...I'm actually ok with that. I have no problem waiting for a little longer for something, and I think we you 'nature's in this hobby (if that is even possible) LOL, patience grows...for some...

As far as flipping...I've said it many times -- once you buy a watch it is YOURS -- I honestly count care less what you do with it once you have it, it is completely YOUR decision and I would submit there is nothing that will ever stop this now, or in the future, as once the current acquisition is made, we just move on to the next...and for some...a bargaining chip...or particular reference might be the one that allows then to reach towards something that they have been after for quite a while ....

Guess we'll have to see where it all goes...and if it does (this protocol) get more widely proliferated...It will not surprise me and when we have an influx of alternative brand acquisitions, perspectuves, etc

Meanwhile....my Patek and AP ADs are sending me their brunch and wine tasting menus to help with my 'transition! LOL

Just my .02

Have a great day all!!!
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote