The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 March 2018, 10:01 AM   #31
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Watch: All I can!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
I noticed that in this course of debate, the OP never disclosed the starting 3 digits of the serial number?

So depending on which chart he read - it could be different years.

OP, can you tell us what the starting 3 digits are on your watch? That will probably put some of this debate to rest....just maybe
Yes I will be glad to, better yet, I will post pics as soon as I pick up the watch tomorrow! Question, will the first three digits reveal the date of manufacture of the watch? Sorry, I'm kinda new at this!

SS Sub 16610, 5513 meters first Sub, Tag Heuer Autavia (2003),Seiko Orange Monster, Seiko Turtle, Breitling Superocean
Abdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2018, 10:03 AM   #32
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMiami View Post

I’m very curious to hear from Abdon as to what his serial number is and if his dial is gilt or matte. Is it possible some 1965 5513s had a matte dial? Stranger things have happened.
Paul, I will post better quality pics of the watch as soon as I pick it up tomorrow! I am curious to know all the details of the watch as well!

SS Sub 16610, 5513 meters first Sub, Tag Heuer Autavia (2003),Seiko Orange Monster, Seiko Turtle, Breitling Superocean
Old 2 March 2018, 10:06 AM   #33
Abdon
"TRF" Member

The watch was delivered to my mother's place in Miami, apparently my uncle sent it to her and not to me...simple mistake but frustrating nonetheless, can't make it down to pick it up until tomorrow after I leave the office!!!

Old 2 March 2018, 10:09 AM   #34
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Hot watch.
Old 2 March 2018, 10:14 AM   #35
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Beauty, congratulations
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 08:36 AM   #36
PaulMiami
"TRF" Member

It’s interesting to see how most on this forum react negatively to dial restoration. At least from my perspective, I see nothing wrong with restoring my dial to its original state. It’s not as if we put an Explorer Sub dial or 5512 dial on a regular 5513. Rik researched as best he could what the dial should look like for my serial number and he had a craftsman recreate that. Yes, it’s a redial, but it’s pretty easy to tell that it’s not a 53 year old dial. It looks too good to be 53 years old as it was not artificially aged in any way. To use Rik’s words when I asked him what it would look like, “it will look like it did when it came out of the factory”. Poorly done restorations don’t do these watches justice. But done correctly, the results can be very rewarding.
PaulMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 08:40 AM   #37
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Finally received my watch!!! To say it was dirty would be a gross understatement... I cleaned it up a bit, noticed that the crown does not screw in all the way. I’m planning on sending it to Rolex for servicing, but only the movement and possibly the crown stem on the case may need replacement. Overall I am THRILLED with the watch!!! Pics coming up...

Old 3 March 2018, 09:02 AM   #38
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Here is a pic of the serial #:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_1383.jpeg (195.3 KB, 194 views)

Old 3 March 2018, 09:14 AM   #39
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdon View Post
Here is a pic of the serial #:
1968ish
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 09:49 AM   #40
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
1968ish
Thank you! That makes it even more special as that was my birth year!!!!

Old 3 March 2018, 10:28 AM   #41
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Well, I am very happy, thrilled actually, with the watch!!!
It does however need some servicing. Would you all recommend sending it to Rolex? Or can any qualified watchmaker service my watch?

Old 3 March 2018, 10:30 AM   #42
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Post a picture of the whole watch. Especially the dial. Clear and in-focus, in natural light.
Old 3 March 2018, 10:34 AM   #43
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Post a picture of the whole watch. Especially the dial. Clear and in-focus, in natural light.
TRYING!!!! Keep having to resize it, doesn't let me post! frustrated...

Old 3 March 2018, 10:39 AM   #44
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Ok here's a better pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_13a3.jpeg (205.6 KB, 195 views)

Old 3 March 2018, 11:00 AM   #45
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Very nice congrats
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 11:46 AM   #46
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

If you send it to Rolex, they're not going to take instructions on what to replace.
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 11:57 AM   #47
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.O.L.E.X View Post
If you send it to Rolex, they're not going to take instructions on what to replace.
Damn...so does anyone have any suggestions on reputable watchmakers to do the service work on my watch?

Old 3 March 2018, 12:57 PM   #48
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Ok this is what I mean — ppl wasted their time debating gloss vs matte when the serial falls into the matte region.

This is resolved.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 12:58 PM   #49
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.O.L.E.X View Post
This is not true. You can discuss your proposal. If they don’t accept they will return back to you untouched. Doesn’t hurt to ask.
Old 3 March 2018, 01:59 PM   #50
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok this is what I mean — ppl wasted their time debating gloss vs matte when the serial falls into the matte region.

This is resolved.
Is gloss more desirable than matte?

Old 3 March 2018, 02:17 PM   #51
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdon View Post
Is gloss more desirable than matte?
All things being equal condition, a gloss gilt dial Sub is more desirable than a matte dial Sub.
Old 4 March 2018, 08:06 AM   #52
Abdon
"TRF" Member

I went to my local RSC today to have my 5513 evaluated for service.
The watch definitely needs servicing. As well as having the mechanism serviced, there are several things on it that absolutely need to be repaired, and others that they recommended repairing.

The crown stem is bent, and the crown is damaged. Those definitely need to be repaired, but the crown would be a "newer" crown, with the three dots (signifying a triplock crown) under the coronet. I would not have the dotless crown which is true to that watch, so there's that.

The hands would have to be replaced, because the lume on the hour hand is chipped off...there's a hole where the lume is supposed to be on the hour hand, and the watchmaker would not be able to guarantee the service if he left the original hands in the watch. Upon replacement, I would not have the original hands, Rolex would stay with them.

This is a bit of a nuisance because if I replace the hands but keep the original dial (which is what the watchmaker recommended), there would be a very visible contrast between the lume on the hands and the patina on the dial. That would annoy the HECK out of me every time I looked at the watch.

If I choose to replace the dial, the watchmaker guaranteed that I would get a dial identical to the one currently on my watch...four lines, meters first, "SUBMARINER" under the depth, "SWISS - T < 25" under the six o'clock index.

I expressed the importance of this, and he understood, and told me he would verify with Rolex HQ. He said he had done service like this to vintage Rolexes and Rolex would keep all replacement parts true to the original ones.

The plexiglass crystal would either remain and would have the scratches buffed out, or it would be replaced with another identical plexiglass crystal.

Same goes for the insert, which may likely be replaced or at the least have a new lume dot (pearl) inserted at the top.

He recommended AGAINST polishing the case, unless I absolutely wanted it polished. I am not sure if he would be able to polish it to a like new appearance, with beveling and proper polishing, etc...

At first I was very apprehensive about having all these replacement parts on my watch as part of the service, but then I read this thread https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=286496

The idea of a "refurbishment" does not really discourage me that much, as long as it os done right and true to the watch's period...the watchmaker told me that I would basically be getting a watch that would be identical to what I have now, but refurbished to look like new.

I will be receiving a call next week by Tuesday or Wednesday to let me know what can be done, cost of repairs/refurbishment and turn around time.
Please share your thoughts, as always, I appreciate your input.

As it stands now, I am veering towards a full refurbishment sans case polish.
I have no intention of ever selling the watch, so resale/investment is not really an issue for me at this time or in the foreseeable future.
Thanks for reading this long post!!!

Old 4 March 2018, 10:02 AM   #53
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

If the dial on your watch is indeed an original untouched MF dial, i would leave it as-is. I doubt they will replace your dial with another vintage 1960's MF dial - the newer service dials are close but less desirable.

People tend to be less picky if hands / crown are changed for newer parts (the mismatched colour of the hands may bother some but overall, they can be replaced down the line if needed).

My suggestion is to have the hands relumed to match the dial, crown / stem replaced and service the watch. Send it to a vintage expert (plenty referred here on the board).
Old 4 March 2018, 12:36 PM   #54
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If the dial on your watch is indeed an original untouched MF dial, i would leave it as-is. I doubt they will replace your dial with another vintage 1960's MF dial - the newer service dials are close but less desirable.

People tend to be less picky if hands / crown are changed for newer parts (the mismatched colour of the hands may bother some but overall, they can be replaced down the line if needed).

My suggestion is to have the hands relumed to match the dial, crown / stem replaced and service the watch. Send it to a vintage expert (plenty referred here on the board).
Thank you for the advice! I was actually seriously considering what you have suggested.

Old 5 March 2018, 01:02 AM   #55
PaulMiami
"TRF" Member

Highly recommend calling Rik at http://www.timecareinc.com/credentials.html. He did a great job on my watch and is located in Florida. He has old crowns in stock. In my case he recommended using the newer one, better performance and cheaper than older one. He can easily replace the pearl on the insert, and probably can repair the hands. Rik is also a master polishing the watches.
PaulMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 01:38 AM   #56
Dangur
"TRF" Member

Very nice. Don't forget to post pic after service ;)
Dangur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 02:46 AM   #57
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Highly recommend calling Rik at http://www.timecareinc.com/credentials.html. He did a great job on my watch and is located in Florida. He has old crowns in stock. In my case he recommended using the newer one, better performance and cheaper than older one. He can easily replace the pearl on the insert, and probably can repair the hands. Rik is also a master polishing the watches.
Thank you for the info!!!!

Old 5 March 2018, 05:41 AM   #58
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Watch: 79090 & 79180
Quote:
Yes, this is good advice. These guys can do wonders on older watches and bring them back to former glory.
Thegr8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 06:42 AM   #59
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
Very nice. Don't forget to post pic after service ;)
Will do!
Watch arrived at Rik's place for refurbishment...I should have it back in 3-6 weeks or so...can't wait!!!

Old 21 April 2018, 07:35 AM   #60
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Hello!!! Yesterday I received my serviced and refurbished meters first 5513 from Rik Dietel, and I am VERY pleased!!! I have been wearing the watch since I received it, and I am enjoying it immensely! Rik was very professional, and his service was very prompt. I would definitely recommend him and i would most certainly contact him again for future watch service and repairs!
Here is a pic of the watch:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1553 MF1.jpeg (259.3 KB, 75 views)