The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2018, 11:20 PM   #1
DanielWatson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LN
Milgauss issue

Hello all, I was looking at a MILGAUSS white dial yesterday in an AD brand new even though I know it’s discontinued now, when the guy brought out the warranty card and swing tag they were the new ones with the new green and 5 year warranty but the older style box with the old green and no pull down part in the box? What is all that about? Help? Thanks
DanielWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:23 PM   #2
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
My guess is the box has nothing to do with the age of the watch or applicable warranty. Others will know for sure.
Old 25 February 2018, 11:24 PM   #3
DanielWatson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LN
I’m asking why they are giving me the old box that the watch would have been originally issued with but new warranty card and swing tag and charging me new price even though it’s discontinued.
DanielWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:28 PM   #4
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I would say it’s still Brand new at the AD so they can still charge MSRP for it. You could potentially negotiate for a discount and ask for a different box. The box is not linked to a particular watch and they can just grab a different one from the back.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:30 PM   #5
peterpl
Banned

The box and the watch have no link. They are just grabbing any box from the back and he just happened to grab an older style one.

If you ask for a new style box they will give it to you.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 12:19 AM   #6
Valle de Joux
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWatson View Post
Hello all, I was looking at a MILGAUSS white dial yesterday in an AD brand new even though I know it’s discontinued now, when the guy brought out the warranty card and swing tag they were the new ones with the new green and 5 year warranty but the older style box with the old green and no pull down part in the box? What is all that about? Help? Thanks
Why don't you just ask for the newer style box? I'm sure they will give you whatever box you want to make the sale...
Valle de Joux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:46 AM   #7
KNY
"TRF" Member

YMMV, but my AD actually has specific boxes assigned to specific watches (as in they write the serial number on the white sleeve). My guess is that this ensures boxes don't grow legs and so that they don't have to buy more than they need.

Back to the OP's situation - If the white Milgauss was older stock, that may have been the box that was assigned to it back when it came in and obviously never used to deliver a watch. That all said, when Rolex switched to the green chronometer tags, the ADs simply sent in the red tags and switched them out so that the watches now came with the 5 year warranty.

Long story short, the box has nothing to do with anything. I also agree that a simple request from your AD to supply a current issue box for a watch you're buying in 2018 shouldn't be a big deal. I'd want a 2018 box if I were buying the watch in 2018, but ultimately it wouodnt be a deal breaker if I really wanted the watch.
KNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 02:53 AM   #8
hoppes-no9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m asking why they are giving me the old box that the watch would have been originally issued with but new warranty card and swing tag and charging me new price even though it’s discontinued.
Discontinued and used are not the same thing.
hoppes-no9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 03:51 AM   #9
RolexPD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What do you mean by “new price”? IIRC, MSRP for the white milgauss is about $1000 less than for the milgauss GV. Which price are they charging you?
RolexPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 04:09 AM   #10
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
The new card and green COSC hang tag (replacing the old red) are on account of the fact that Rolex changed their policies from 2 year warrantee to 5 year. I guess the magnetic strip on the original card had all the 2 year warrantee info on it, so Rolex SA issued a replacement card with the 5 year warrantee info on the strip. As for the box itself, Rolex won't change this for the same reason they didn't reprint/re-issue new owners manuals for the watch.

You could have asked the AD why. Maybe he'd have given you a new version box, but I have a feeling someone else who buys the next piece will be getting your old box. lol.

I do like the newer boxes. Rolex fixed this paint issue that was evident on the old boxes. A lot of people were complaining that the paint on the box would fuse the top lid of the box with the bottom, and you'd have to practically have to use a butter knife to pry the box open, resulting in a damaged box. This is not the case with the new boxes.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote