The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 March 2018, 03:03 AM   #1
UnicoJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always!
When people I know trade in their Rolex wrist time for an Apple Watch

Multiple people I know (work and social) have traded their Rolex wrist time for an Apple Watch. I’ve asked them about this and all have given me similar replies, they are multifunctional and very convenient. Some still wear their Rolex timepiece(s) on weekends or certain events, but they all agreed that as a daily the Apple Watch has definitely replaced their Rolex and would not purchase any additional Rolex or other automatic watches in the future, which surprised me since many are avid watch enthusiasts.

The younger guys I know that can afford a 5k+ timepiece have no interest in spending that kind of money on a watch and laugh at the though of it, they all wear Apple Watches/Fitbit or no watch at all.

Not certain what this means, but based on the current watch industry economic status. I don’t think it’s good.
UnicoJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:13 AM   #2
Starhutch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: PROBLEM
Have an Apple Watch as well and honestly not something I enjoy as daily wear at all. Don’t want to be connected all the time and primarily worn for sport.
Starhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:13 AM   #3
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I never heard about anyone doing this.
Don't think Rolex has to worry, nothing attractive about a fitbit or apple watch.
Old 4 March 2018, 03:15 AM   #4
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
We don’t take kindly to folk who don’t take kindly to watches round here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:16 AM   #5
rozyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,DD,Exp1,Daytona
I’ve transitioned to an Apple Watch 4 days a week. In a time of austerity, it isn’t advisable to be too visible. All mid level management and above at my company are wearing apple watches daily.
rozyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:17 AM   #6
MeWatchYou
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
Don't those Apple Watch thingies need to be plugged into something or charged to even work?

Only my opinion that some folks just don't have good horse sense.
MeWatchYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:18 AM   #7
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Two different tools for two different jobs.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:20 AM   #8
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
In Switzerland younger ones who can afford AP/Rolex wear both. Apple watch on other hand and automatic on other hand.

In status point of view: Time is the ultimate luxury these days and Apple watch might resemble that you do not have it that much. There are so many opinions about this that no clear line can be drawn. I also wear Rolex because it is independent, not regulated or spied by some greedy and halfevil software company. Rolex has longevity, Apple watch dies in 5 years maybe. I am not a fan of disposable culture.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:21 AM   #9
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I had one and it drove me mad. Hated charging it and I don’t need to be able to check emails (mine tend to be very long ones) on multiple devices. Besides I like to wear gold and the idea of an obsolete gold Apple Watch is idiotic.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:22 AM   #10
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

As an Apple Watch owner, let me offer my perspective.

I purchased mine. July of last year and was instantly addicted. I wore it every day for almost three months straight, totally neglecting my other watches. During that time, I used the health functions extensively, closing all the rings for two months straight and lost 15 pounds while getting in to great shape. At the end of two months I had memorized all of the workout metrics and really didn’t need continuous remiders from the Watch. I didn’t like using it as a supplement or substitute for my iPhone. The screen is way too small, kludgy to use (sorry Apple, but that’s a fact) and it was often just easier to take my phone out of my pocket than dealing with the Watch. I’ve worn it maybe five times in the last two months. An unobtrusive fitness band would have been just as useful for me IMHO.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:24 AM   #11
mrporter
"TRF" Member

When people I know trade in their Rolex wrist time for an Apple Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post

Agree. I have Apple Watch and used to rotate it with my Rolex. But now I do believe the idea that a watch is a watch, to tell time (and maybe date, and day if you have DD ) Understand if you need it for working out etc but that’s it. Analog watch is irreplaceable, digital watch just a trend.

Old 4 March 2018, 03:25 AM   #12
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I would never trade my Rolex for an apple watch. Call me old school but they are not one and the same to me. The only thing I see them having in common is that both tell time (but so does my iPhone). And that is where the similarities end as far as I'm concerned. My Rolex tells my story, it 'beats' with me because without my wrist movement, it eventually stops.. I feel connected to my watch, something I could never have with an apple watch/fitbit. And this connection is priceless and irreplaceable to me. I have a MIO Alpha for my cardio workouts but that is as far as it goes: treadmill/field, one hour a day, 5 days a week.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:26 AM   #13
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
I wear my Apple Watch for trail running only. Nothing else.
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:29 AM   #14
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Who really wants to be tethered to their phone that much? If a job is paying you to stay in contact that might be a reason but the "geek sheek" look isnt my style.
Old 4 March 2018, 03:37 AM   #15
Gunbucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicoJG View Post
Multiple people I know (work and social) have traded their Rolex wrist time for an Apple Watch. I’ve asked them about this and all have given me similar replies, they are multifunctional and very convenient. Some still wear their Rolex timepiece(s) on weekends or certain events, but they all agreed that as a daily the Apple Watch has definitely replaced their Rolex and would not purchase any additional Rolex or other automatic watches in the future, which surprised me since many are avid watch enthusiasts.

The younger guys I know that can afford a 5k+ timepiece have no interest in spending that kind of money on a watch and laugh at the though of it, they all wear Apple Watches/Fitbit or no watch at all.

Not certain what this means, but based on the current watch industry economic status. I don’t think it’s good.
Well, that's because those younger guys don't know about the price appreciation of Rolexes, climbing at a rate that outstrips most stocks!

I'm not ashamed to share how much pleasure I derive on seeing the faces of these "younger generations" when they find out how much my beaten up 5513 from 1968 fetches in the market.
Gunbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:41 AM   #16
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahefa View Post
In Switzerland younger ones who can afford AP/Rolex wear both. Apple watch on other hand and automatic on other hand.

In status point of view: Time is the ultimate luxury these days and Apple watch might resemble that you do not have it that much. There are so many opinions about this that no clear line can be drawn. I also wear Rolex because it is independent, not regulated or spied by some greedy and halfevil software company. Rolex has longevity, Apple watch dies in 5 years maybe. I am not a fan of disposable culture.
I just read the shelf life of any product is 4.3 years. I will still have warranty left in 4.3 years, not a landfill item.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 04:17 AM   #17
jets
"TRF" Member

Boggles my mind. I'm trying to get away from my phone usage and these apple watches are a turn off to me. To each their own I guess.
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 04:51 AM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post

Agree. Each has a unique purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahefa View Post
Thanks for making me feel young, yet am into my 50s and have worn a mechanical timepiece on one wrist, Samsung's latest and greatest on the other, for the past 7 or so years.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 04:55 AM   #19
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I have both.

Two different tools for two different things.

When I can get a Rolex that can track my heart rate, calorie burn, gps, map my bike rides, show me texts, email, weather, then I will trade.

Until then I will keep and use both.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 04:57 AM   #20
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Why would I want my phone functions (that’s in my pocket with a large screen) on a watch? I use strava, on my phone, to measure my physical activity. Can’t stand em personally.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 04:58 AM   #21
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeWatchYou View Post
Don't those Apple Watch thingies need to be plugged into something or charged to even work?
Yep, one of the biggest turn-off's for me for the 30 seconds I owned an Apple Watch. Really dislike smart watches.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 05:09 AM   #22
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

I wear my Apple Watch for workouts and sometimes when I sleep to track sleep.
Other than that, it's the Rolex.

I don't like how the Apple Watch screen will turn on and off, the battery life, and how you have to interact with it to appreciate it. A Rolex, you can just look at it and admire the finishing, the way the light reflects off the watch, and all the little details. The Apple Watch, is boring just looking at it- you have to be constantly tapping the screen to appreciate what it can do. But it is great to track activity.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 05:31 AM   #23
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
TBH i think the Apple Watch has helped attract the young to wear watches again, the mobile phone filled the gap for a good few years and now the apple watch has made wearing a mechanical watch fashionable again.
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 05:50 AM   #24
dberman3
"TRF" Member

I bought an Apple Watch once and returned it. Decided to buy another when the series 3 came out. Mostly it just sits on the charger unless I’m exercising and then it goes on. When I’m done, back on the charger it goes. Personally, I think it feels like a toy. I’d much rather have a mechanical watch on my wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dberman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 06:02 AM   #25
Teetime71
"TRF" Member

Watch: me nae nae
I have no desire for an Apple Watch or to be hyper-connected nor spend a premium on soon-to-be-obsolete digital rot. For tracking fitness/sleep my $130 Fitbit does the job well. Rolex is a luxury to be sure, but it also can appreciate, last lifetimes and is wonderful to pass down to family/loved ones. Something that certainly can't be said about gold smart watches.

Teetime71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 07:06 AM   #26
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have an Apple Watch, an earlier model. To save power, it is generally off unless I snap my wrist or press a button. Also, the power does diminish quickly.

I would rather wear a Rolex and check my iPhone.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 07:15 AM   #27
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

I toyed with the idea of getting an Apple Watch a few times but decided against it. I need less connection, not more. Plus I like my mechanical watches too much
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 07:46 AM   #28
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
That means more watches available to us watch enthusiasts, shorts waiting lists, bargaining power. Encourage them to wear their smart watches I say!
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 08:16 AM   #29
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

By the time you upgrade your Apple Watch over a 10 year period, your Rolex will look like a bargain!!
Old 4 March 2018, 08:57 AM   #30
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Will need to have a much longer battery life (or be solar powered) for me to even consider it. One day on full charge is just impractical, never mind being tethered to technology 24/7, which will turn anyone into a zombie.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote