The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 March 2018, 02:02 PM   #1
Submaster
"TRF" Member

116719BLRO and...

So with the apparent discontinuation of the white gold BLRO, how do you think the future value of this piece will play out? Some say the piece didn’t sell well but there are now very desirable pieces that did not sell well and the production run for the BLRO was short compared with other modern pieces. On the flipside, steel professional pieces have historically been more collectible than PM and white gold resale values have been weak. Looking past the BLRO and perhaps to Basel in March, I find it hard to believe that Rolex would introduce another pepsi GMT in steel as this would alienate many BLRO buyers who paid much more for that piece in white gold because it was not available in steel. Seems like a bad marketing strategy for a conservative iconic brand. What seems more likely to me is a coke bezel white gold piece at Basel with a similar production run time as the BLRO with a new GMT with modified case and movement to follow after the two hommage to the past pieces have completed the run of the current GMT line.
Submaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 02:12 PM   #2
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
It Would be crazy if they make a Bakelite GMT coke. That would cause such a hype and would be the next Daytona.
Old 4 March 2018, 02:23 PM   #3
topfuel25
Banned

those BLRO owners would be pissed if a steel coke was released!
topfuel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 02:33 PM   #4
G.D.BeanCounter
Banned

Watch: Sky DayDate 2
I think the value will stay the same or decrease, so no need discussing it any longer and getting the speculators in an uproar to manufacture a lot of buzz and false demand... In fact, let's just ban all the 116719 BLRO talk for a while... well at least until after I can get my hands on one
G.D.BeanCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 09:39 PM   #5
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
May be a new market strategy for Rolex. Keep releasing new models in different trims every 4 or so years to keep demand and hype up there for special limited runs. Also creates a very limited watch for those that want to be different from the rest of the pack. A SS Pepsi would be cool and I dont think it would hurt the sales of the white gold model in the after market. Most people buy the WG for a reason and theres plenty of PM and SS watches that are the same exact model.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 09:40 PM   #6
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuel25 View Post
And why would that be so ?
Quite recently I bought a PM SkyD whilst there are beautiful SS options available. Same for my PM Submariner.
Would not bother me in the least if the exact same model is available in SS.
Being fortunate enough to own a Rolex is special to me and having the possibility to buy a PM reference makes it a little more special for me.
Old 4 March 2018, 09:50 PM   #7
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I'd be shocked to see a SS Pepsi but look what they did with the Skydweller. If anything, a WG Coke would make sense and a lot of disappointment to follow.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 10:33 PM   #8
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
My prediction.... A Coke bezel in WG, and the Pepsi is released in platinum.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 10:43 PM   #9
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Who knows what is unveiled next but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see another bicolor SS GMT to go along with the BLNR. Rolex has always had at least 2 bicolor SS options for GMT’s and currently they have 1.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 12:58 AM   #10
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I hope if a new SS Coke or Pepsi is not unveiled at Basel that prices for the BLRO don't go through the roof. I'd like to pick one up.
piratepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 01:00 AM   #11
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I’m certain of one thing - Rolex could care less about my feelings or alienating me when determining their product lineup. It’s all about the money.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 01:01 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Exciting times ahead. I think a SS red/blue is quite possible given Rolex’s recent curveball pitches
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 01:11 AM   #13
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuel25 View Post
I wouldn’t, nor would I sell my BLRO for one.
TRF #139960
RichM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 03:37 AM   #14
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Take a look at what they're going for now in the classifieds. And it's not even official.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 08:25 AM   #15
Dr Greenthumb
"TRF" Member

Over the course of the last few decades Rolex have been following a steady strategy to move upmarket and make more profit from increased yield per piece, rather than quantity sold. Very limited supply (think SS sport models) and exclusivity in the form of complications like the ones in SkyDweller and YM2 are the key to that move, basically pushing sales of higher price level watches and PM pieces of a particular model range.

I doubt we will see any new SS GMT and instead a new TT option (Coke; Blueberry) or revised version of the BLRO in another PM. .. just my two cents.

Cheers
Dr Greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 01:26 PM   #16
Joemck
"TRF" Member

Watch: And listen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I’m certain of one thing - Rolex could care less about my feelings or alienating me when determining their product lineup. It’s all about the money.
Still, if they would just listen to you about glidelock on pm pieces I’d be a happier ( and poorer man).
Old 5 March 2018, 02:24 PM   #17
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Owning one, obviously I wish the blro prices would skyrocket and be the next hot collectible Rolex. Realistically I'd imagine they will stay right where they are now roughly.

I would not be angry with a Coke or another Pepsi in any other metal. I love the bezel colors and love the WG. If you guys want a SS Pepsi with a "real" red/blue bezel, hope you guys get your wish this year- no hate here. If I wanted an investment piece, I would have gotten a 5711, a SS Daytona, a hulk, whatever. I like what I like... c'est la vie
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 03:12 PM   #18
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
Owning one, obviously I wish the blro prices would skyrocket and be the next hot collectible Rolex. Realistically I'd imagine they will stay right where they are now roughly.

I would not be angry with a Coke or another Pepsi in any other metal. I love the bezel colors and love the WG. If you guys want a SS Pepsi with a "real" red/blue bezel, hope you guys get your wish this year- no hate here. If I wanted an investment piece, I would have gotten a 5711, a SS Daytona, a hulk, whatever. I like what I like... c'est la vie

I’m a far leaning PM Sports Rolex guy. I love my BLRO. If a SS version exist(ed) I’d still get the PM version. I’m always curious why WG Rolexes sell at such a huge discount.
Old 5 March 2018, 07:09 PM   #19
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post

I’m a far leaning PM Sports Rolex guy. I love my BLRO. If a SS version exist(ed) I’d still get the PM version. I’m always curious why WG Rolexes sell at such a huge discount.
Same here and I am glad they do discount, otherwise I would not be able to afford one
Old 7 March 2018, 05:50 AM   #20
piratepress
"TRF" Member

They appear to be going fast now. Davidsw seems to be selling them as fast as he gets them in!
Old 7 March 2018, 06:55 AM   #21
Jim Smyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepress View Post
They appear to be going fast now. Davidsw seems to be selling them as fast as he gets them in!
Yes he is.
Old 7 March 2018, 07:01 AM   #22
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Yes he is.
Congrats!
Old 8 March 2018, 03:34 AM   #23
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Davidsw just offered another new BLRO but it's $30K, roughly a $4K price hike over previous prices!

If this is the price going forward, looks like I may keep the BLNR. Granted, I like the BLRO but to me it's not 3x as good as my BLNR!
Old 8 March 2018, 04:33 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Davidsw just offered another new BLRO but it's $30K, roughly a $4K price hike over previous prices!

If this is the price going forward, looks like I may keep the BLNR. Granted, I like the BLRO but to me it's not 3x as good as my BLNR!
Price has been marked up higher than gold subs here too by Watchfinder, the UK Dsw equivalent, currently at $31.5K for 2016 model.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 04:46 AM   #25
Jim Smyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Price has been marked up higher than gold subs here too by Watchfinder, the UK Dsw equivalent, currently at $31.5K for 2016 model.
Fully stickered is why. When I was there he told me he had one in back. But it was 5K more than a slightly used one which is what I went with instead.
Old 8 March 2018, 04:48 AM   #26
123joule
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Are they different watches? Seemed like I kept seeing him list the same warranty card dated late 2016 excellent condition BLRO three times in the last month, with the price going up $1K with each listing.
123joule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 04:51 AM   #27
BerneyD
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
In Woodland Hills (Los Angeles) the large Rolex billboard is advertising the BLRO, seems odd that they would be promoting it so much if it was on its way out.
BerneyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 05:47 AM   #28
chicagonoob
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing with interest
I’m in the market as well, and have been watching prices climb over the past few weeks. At this point I think I’m going to take a wait-and see approach with what happens in Basel in a few weeks and make a decision at that point.
chicagonoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 06:28 AM   #29
Jim Smyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123joule View Post
Are they different watches? Seemed like I kept seeing him list the same warranty card dated late 2016 excellent condition BLRO three times in the last month, with the price going up $1K with each listing.
I think he may use stock photos at times. Mine had a 2014 warranty card which was different from the for sale add which also stated 2016 in one add and showed 2014 on his web page. Impossible to tell the difference in watches or in person because they all looked brand new. That was somewhat important because now I own a watch with no warranty in essence since its a 2014. But he made it right money wise which I am not complaining about. I always get treated well with David.
Old 8 March 2018, 06:37 AM   #30
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
The market has definitely changed on these over the past couple of weeks. Before it was easy to find one from a grey dealer in the mid $20k range. Now most are asking >$30k for them. I wonder if availability at the ADs have changed? Back in January when I was looking for one I visited 3 ADs and all had at least one in stock and all offered a discount on the piece.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote