The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 March 2018, 12:03 PM   #91
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
If these odds and ends are driving you crazy, what are you going to do when you get your first few scratches?
I'd agree with the above, I feel like you are just torturing yourself, it will get scratches and you just have to live with it.

However, if it bothers you, go to RSC and see what they say. But if you are talking about going for New Years (did I read that correctly?) that's another 10 months off so you will almost certainly have got used to the imperfections and the inevitable scratches by then.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 12:11 PM   #92
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith350 View Post
I didnt need any loupe to see this. I looked at the engraving and spotted the small mark on the gold at 12 marker , and then the next day looked at the date and noticed the cyclops was just a hair off.

My post isnt about whether to look for faults or not , its about these two specific things I have noticed on my watch and what to do about them. If the answer is that it is acceptable then il take that on board. But im getting a little tired of people acting like I have got out maginfication glasses and sat nit picking, please dont take that the wrong way. Im very appreciative of every comment i just wanted to clear that point up.
Okay, understood - you didn't use a loupe and the flaws are visible regardless.

You'll have to forgive me and the other posters for jumping to a conclusion. I've owned Rolex watches for over 25 years and been reading this, and other horological forums for years so when this type of question comes up, usually - not always - but usually the poster *has* detected a flaw(s) under magnification, ie, a jewellers loupe or similar. In actual fact, many times - although by no means *always* - the so-called 'issues' turn out to be caused by unrealistic expectations or plain old human imagination. (Photos exhibit crooked crown or engraving on rehaut which is in fact distortion caused by crystal, camera, lighting, etc.)
Time and time again folks think there's a problem but when discussed and / or investigated can be attributed to unrealistic expectations or a simple misunderstanding - like "Hey! My watch is defective: the crown doesn't line up straight when screwed down!"

I'm not remotely suggesting anything of the kind in your case. I don't think your cyclops is crooked from the pix I've seen. The others flaws are awfully small, but if they upset you, well, by all means take action. You did pay good money for the watch and it's your prerogative to do what you must to correct them.

But, please try to remember every time the watch is opened, it's exposure to *new* issues, sometimes more intrusive, is possible. We have a *LOT* of good, knowledgeable and patient people on this forum who only want to help you. Sometimes we get things wrong but the track record for resolution is excellent. The intention is and aleays will be Is to offer assistance to anyone that needs help, an opinion or simple guidance with regard to Rolex watches. These guys are smart, very helpful and believe me, they've - as the saying goes - SEEN AND HEARD IT ALL.

I sincerely hope you 'get help' and your problems are sorted in a timely and efficient manner. After all, none of us likes being without our cherished watches.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Best,
Marjk

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 12:12 PM   #93
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Do yourself a favour and put away your loupe.
Seconded.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 12:24 PM   #94
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

Wait till scratches start appearing on the PCLs... enjoy your watch
Old 5 March 2018, 06:02 PM   #95
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
Oy another one with a loupe.
Oy another one not reading and jumping to conclusions
agentsmith350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 06:09 PM   #96
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Again Thanks for the replies from those who have read my comments properly , regards the car comments how about it you had bought your new car but then spotted a scratch inside the dials , and that your side mirror had been fitted at an angle. Would that be acceptable?

There was an earlier reply saying I have the three options

Take it back to AD or RSC and see if they deem it a defect and repair under warranty

Live with it

Sell

I've no intention to sell as this was my for life watch

I can try and live with it sure , but understanding you can see these two things with the naked eye is this acceptable ?

If I where to take it to the AD or RSC , how best would you advise I go about it ? I'm about a 4 hour trip to the AD , 12 hours from RSC ! Which is why I mentioned possibly waiting until I am visiting London at new years and call in rsc

I understand the nothing is perfect comments , and microscopic bits and pieces I don't give a sod about . What I am saying is that these are visible to the eye , is this acceptable ?

You can't compare scratches to defects however small on a 1 day only watch
Old 5 March 2018, 06:22 PM   #97
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OP
Take it back to the AD and let them send it to the RSC for you.
Rolex advertises "perfection" in their advertising, you are not being unreasonable if you ask for them to live up to their advertising. Best of luck.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 06:50 PM   #98
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
good luck OP !
Nothing is truly perfect, but Rolex marketing suggests that they are...and if a Rolex is something you've been striving or saving for, a special purchase to reward yourself for some achievement, then it can be a disappointment to find your $10k watch has flaws you can spot with the naked eye.
Just as you'd expect a $1000 watch to be a massive improvement over a $100 watch, a $10000 watch should be well bloody sorted. Perhaps a little less money on marketing and sponsorship, more on tightening tolerances ?
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 06:57 PM   #99
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I think you nailed it already for yourself. Since you are far away from the nearest RSC, sent it to them via your AD.
You might add the pictures to the work order to clarify for the watchmaker.
To polish the little smudge out is going to be a very difficult job I assume.
Personally I could easily live with it but I think it will keep on bugging you, so sent it in for peace of mind and see what response you get from the RSC.

The RSC usually gives a quotation in writing, if sent via AD they will reply to the AD and not to you. Get this quotation from your AD so you can be sure they actually did sent it in.

Old 5 March 2018, 07:10 PM   #100
sya
"TRF" Member

i think being upset with small details like this is fully understandable. OC people will be bothered by these misalignment. and whenever you check the time, you can't help but notice that since you already know it.
sya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 07:20 PM   #101
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
If the cyclops miss alignment is so visible to the naked eye – why did you purchase the watch?

Am I missing something here?

You noticed all the other ‘problems’ on the watches you inspected, yet you still leave the store with a watch you are not happy with – sorry I don’t get it
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 09:37 PM   #102
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys, I think I will raise this with the AD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
If the cyclops miss alignment is so visible to the naked eye – why did you purchase the watch?

Am I missing something here?

You noticed all the other ‘problems’ on the watches you inspected, yet you still leave the store with a watch you are not happy with – sorry I don’t get it
The rehaut alignment was good on this one , I didn't really look at the Cyclops as was concentrating on that. Which in turn is how I noticed the mark on the gold. And with the AD saying they couldn't see it and not being able to see it unless under the right lighting decided I could live with that single flaw.
Old 5 March 2018, 09:41 PM   #103
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Perfection? They blast out a million watches a year, or around 4000 watches/day if we count a 5-day work week 52 weeks a year.
Old 5 March 2018, 10:16 PM   #104
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarver View Post
I'd agree with the above, I feel like you are just torturing yourself, it will get scratches and you just have to live with it.

However, if it bothers you, go to RSC and see what they say. But if you are talking about going for New Years (did I read that correctly?) that's another 10 months off so you will almost certainly have got used to the imperfections and the inevitable scratches by then.
Yeah the distance to the RSC is a little over 12 hour round trip not accounting for time spent there. But I will be visiting London for new years so will be right next to the RSC then.
Old 5 March 2018, 10:21 PM   #105
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
First Rolex experience , Was i wrong expecting perfection to be perfect ?
Yes
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 10:27 PM   #106
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Rolex is a toolwatch, should you use microscope so have you to look on other brands and use a bigger wallet.
Rolex prices make it a Jewelry watch with Tool watch DNA. It's been quite a while since Rolex was simply a Tool watch, imho.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 10:58 PM   #107
robotkiller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Personally - what you are seeing on your watch would bother me. Misalignment at 12 o'clock of any element of the dial or bezel drives me nuts. As far as the marker, I had an IWC with an embedded dust particle in the dial. I had tons of scratches on that watch that didn't bother me, but I never got over that dust particle

I hope Rolex has higher standards than this forum and recognizes your concern and fixes the problem. This is a mass produced item and I can easily see how this one would slip through QC. That said, once the issue is identified, I would expect Rolex to want to fix the problem.
robotkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 11:20 PM   #108
adg31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah the distance to the RSC is a little over 12 hour round trip not accounting for time spent there. But I will be visiting London for new years so will be right next to the RSC then.

Take some reference photos of your watch to show condition and take it to your AD for them to sort out with you. Please remember that your contract is with the AD not Rolex, it is therefore up to your AD to take up the definition of 'perfection' with Rolex - and refund / replace as required. That is what they are paid to do by Rolex via the margin they make selling you your watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:49 AM   #109
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
The issues are clearly bugging you and I would have the AD send to RSC or I’d send directly to RSC. The mark on the surround should be polished and the cyclops aligned. Just note that as some others have said, sometimes other issues are created correcting known issues. Send a letter along with it asking that they be sure the rehaut is perfectly aligned, the pearl on bezel is aligned, cyclops, etc. Make clear your expectations and ask for extra consideration so (hopefully) you only have to send in once. Some of my Rolex have issues and I can overlook them. Some things bother me more than others. Get yours fixed, carefully inspect upon return, and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this is the best advice.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:54 AM   #110
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

You learn to live with the fact you've paid thousands for something that should be a certain way, but unfortunately it isn't. I bet it'll bug you that the bezel flutes don't center properly with the PIP or PIP triangle either.

I've learned to live with small imperfections and just enjoy my watches now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 01:13 AM   #111
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Do yourself a favour and put away your loupe.
I agree. I make it a point not to look at my watches under a loupe.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 02:28 AM   #112
gliderpilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: your attitude
Imperfections add character. Cherish them :-)
gliderpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 02:34 AM   #113
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
You are a victim of over-hype. Rolex watches are massed produced. About 800,000 per year. Sorry if the bubble burst but, that's it. If you want perfection. Try FP Jorne for around $100,000.00 give or take. All handmade, of course they only make about 25 all year.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 02:48 AM   #114
Grimm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Again Thanks for the replies from those who have read my comments properly , regards the car comments how about it you had bought your new car but then spotted a scratch inside the dials , and that your side mirror had been fitted at an angle. Would that be acceptable?

There was an earlier reply saying I have the three options

Take it back to AD or RSC and see if they deemed m it a defect and repair under warranty

Live with it

Sell

I've no intention to sell as this was my for life watch

I can try and live with it sure , but understanding you can see these two things with the naked eye is this acceptable ?

If I where to take it to the AD or RSC , how best would you advise I go about it ? I'm about a 4 hour trip to the AD , 12 hours from RSC ! Which is why I mentioned possibly waiting until I am visiting London at new years and call in rsc

I understand the nothing is perfect comments , and microscopic bits and pieces I don't give a sod about . What I am saying is that these are visible to the eye , is this acceptable ?

You can't compare scratches to defects however small on a 1 day only watch
You spent your hard earned money on the watch. Should be perfect to you. Anybody that’s calling out this guy for being “ocd” about his 10,000 watch, needs a reality check. Would you be okay with driving your Ferrari (or Corolla for that matter) off the lot with a 3 mm scratch on the door? Acceptance of imperfection amongst the consumer is asking for trouble. Raise your expectations people.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:24 PM   #115
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Update : Rolex was sent to RSC by the AD.

They agreed the cyclops wasnt acceptable and have replaced the crystal under warranty.

They say they can't do anything with the mark on the gold and that it is within tolerance , whether that's true or it's that they don't want to replace the dial over it is more what I would be inclined to think.

So it's been returned to the AD with date mag alignment corrected but gold blemish left as Was, I have the option to either collect it as it is or they have offered a refund.

Thoughts ?
Old 22 March 2018, 10:30 PM   #116
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

On a side note another has came in at another AD, date mag maybe a hair out but alignment is good. Of course there could be similar issues with marks on the gold that can only be seen in person
Old 22 March 2018, 10:49 PM   #117
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I think this is a personal and subjective choice... it seems like 50% of the members here beat their watches, to a certain degree, and don't even think about any type of imperfection. However, the other half of the group analyzes their watches with loops and spends more time taking pics than wearing their watch.

What I'm trying to say is you will gather replies that fall across the spectrum, but it really comes down to what YOU can be happy with, not just live with when it comes to luxury goods.

I would have left it alone in the first place, since I fall in the first group and stressing over a watch would kill the fun for me.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:45 AM   #118
adg31
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They agreed the cyclops wasnt acceptable and have replaced the crystal under warranty.

They say they can't do anything with the mark on the gold and that it is within tolerance , whether that's true or it's that they don't want to replace the dial over it is more what I would be inclined to think.

So it's been returned to the AD with date mag alignment corrected but gold blemish left as Was, I have the option to either collect it as it is or they have offered a refund.

Thoughts ?

The blemish on the marker clearly bothers you and I'm surprised that Rolex haven't replaced the dial since they state that their approach ensures perfection - which this clearly isn't!
Unfortunately the blemish isn't going to get any better with time so I'd suggest going for the refund and starting again whilst you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
adg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:35 AM   #119
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

Thoughts ?
Refund. And get another, factory fresh, hopefully less imperfect LB

Your AD, by offering the refund, is agreeing with you that its not acceptable

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 02:36 AM   #120
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
On a side note another has came in at another AD, date mag maybe a hair out but alignment is good. Of course there could be similar issues with marks on the gold that can only be seen in person
Get a refund and buy this one if its good

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote