The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 March 2018, 05:44 PM   #61
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
discontinued is only half of the equation. The other half is what replaces it?
Agreed.
The DSSD is a showcase/flagship model and I'm not convinced it will be discontinued. I could be wrong about that because they discontinued the Sea-Dweller twice previously. And then they promptly brought it back.

Having said that, it could be due for an upgrade to the new movement with a change to the reference. 216660 anyone?
As part of my bold prediction for Basel 2018, it may even get Double Red lettering and morphed into the DEEPSEA II on a version of the Oysterflex that's fitted to the case better and also retaining a version of the original DSSD Glidelock.

This could explain why some dealers are reportedly not taking orders for it anymore.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 05:54 PM   #62
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Agreed.

Having said that, it could be due for an upgrade to the new movement with a change to the reference. 216660 anyone?

This could explain why some dealers are reportedly not taking orders for it anymore.
If a new 3235 movement was to be fitted and a new upgraded version to come out i think reference would be 126660.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 05:58 PM   #63
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
Also whats up with everyone wanting RED writing for everything? you cant recreate history. Red writing in 2018 is like fake patina. Seriously.

I disagree.
Red text looks good.
Especially on a Sports watch.
To date there's not one Sub or Sea-dweller that doesn't look good with some red text.

Take the special edition Omega's for example.
I think the first Liquid metal Diver had a little bit of Red text and it looked good.
Also the 40th Anniversary Special edition Apollo XI Speedy looks great with a little bit of red text.
I think there may be another Apollo XI anniversary Speedy with some red text as well from memory.
Old 7 March 2018, 06:00 PM   #64
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis View Post
If a new 3235 movement was to be fitted and a new upgraded version to come out i think reference would be 126660.
Sounds good to me
I don't really care one way or another as long as it happens
Old 7 March 2018, 06:38 PM   #65
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Quote:
Sandy why not try chrono24? There are quiet a few watches available in the UK.

Thanks Yannis.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 08:52 PM   #66
teo
"TRF" Member

Mark 1 deepsea coronet shape is very special.
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 09:03 PM   #67
teo
"TRF" Member

If deepsea is discontinued it will remain in Rolex history as deepest diver watch Rolex ever made. Together 3900m depth rate on dial with ring lock i think very collectible and different look than other Rolex divers. Even the clasp glide lock is different compared to other Rolex divers. Plus u got that giant winding crown. And also that domed sapphire crystal. Wow. Which Rolex divers can u find that domed sapphire crystal? Ans: U can only found it in Deepsea.
Old 7 March 2018, 09:08 PM   #68
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra_88 View Post
Can you tell me where I can pick up a DSSD below retail? I tried many AD’s and they had waiting lists. And waiting lists means no discount normally.
Just be patient and deals pop up. I got a great condition 2010 black DSSD with B/P last week for 8300 $USD on here. Granted, it took me almost 3 months to find the right one, but when it happens like that, it adds that much more joy to wear, knowing you didn't overpay
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 09:16 PM   #69
teo
"TRF" Member

Deepsea is different compare to other Rolex divers.
1) Domed sapphire crystal
2) Giant winding crown
3) 44mm case
4) clasp glide lock
5) ring lock system on dial
6) deepest 3900m
7) short lugs (currently sd4k also got)
Old 7 March 2018, 09:24 PM   #70
meganfox17
Banned

You guys forgot to mention something very significant. It's the Only Rolex watch with Titanium components : The clamping ring + caseback
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 09:30 PM   #71
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Of course, as soon as I unloaded my D-Blue this is what would happen.

Bought it originally as in investment but I determined the money would be better in something I could wear (i.e the SD43).

Don’t sweat, this is always a better strategy.

Follow my watches on Instagram @vintagearmadillo
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 09:57 PM   #72
Kenrocks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
I'll tell you what the Hong Kong dealers are saying
✓ Get Ref 116610LN + 116610LV.
Apparently these are the watches that matter at the moment. If Hulk is discontinued , the HK Grey market sellers are going to immediately markup the price of a BNIB to HK$ 100000 ( or US 12766 based on today's FOREX). What about its elder sibling, Mr Kermit 16620lv ? The same dealers are going to peg Kermit at US$19 K. Period! In the second scenario if Hulk is still in production after the announcement of the new Sub 126610LN , the price of the Hulk is going to drop but will remain above HK$84000 ( US$ 10723)
✓ Now the second part of the story is interesting. If Ref 116610 LN is discontinued and replaced with Ref 126610 LN , then the current SubC prices are going to shoot up like the Burj Khalifa! Funny! First time I've even heard Chinese dealers actually commenting on the tallest building in the world !. Their advice? Get the Ceramic Sub now ( Date or No Date)
✓ What about the Ref 116660 D-Blue? I'll just offer my thoughts based on what's going on in Malaysia. A couple of my seller friends are offering BNIBs at between US$ 12.5K and 13.5K . What if you want to sell your BNIB/ LNIB D-Blue ? I was surprise to learn that seasoned buyers are only going to offer you a consistent US$ 11 175 all cash. Don't ask me how they came to this figure. There's also a glut of preowned in KL going for something like US11-12K (D-Blue) and US $9.0-9.5K ( black or regular version). I mean most of the second hand 116660 D Blue i've seen are LNIB, rarely worn because owners assumed prices will shoot up through the roof or in most instances, the Ref 116660 was too big on the wrist, many owners I know just traded and switched to the SD43. You won't believe it if I told you there's a second hand watch gallery in down town Kuala Lumpur right now that has 10 LNIB D-Blues in the glass display cabinet! Even if D-Blue is discontinued, I honestly dont anticipate a dramatic increase in value , more likely a snail paced appreciation. People will be focusing their attention on SD43 (like Hong Kong) and the newer models. So D-Blue needs another important triggering factor to jack up the price even higher -> That stimulus is Iron Jim @ James Cameron and you know what I mean. Incidentally there was a Rolex DJ41 ad today on page 5 of "The Star" , Malaysia's leading newspaper celebrating four Oscar winning directors all wearing Rolex watches including Iron Jim who was spotting the D-Blue

May sound like a dumb question but I’ll ask anyway:

wouldn’t there be more money chasing the 126610 instead of the 116610 and 110460? Or are we assuming that 126610 will get snapped up and in a shot supply so some money would target the discontinued models to scratch the Rolex bug bite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 10:05 PM   #73
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyMan View Post
Mk1 dial wish the flat s and the fatter font I think is the best imho
That mk3 dial would drive me insane like the thread started stated
You wouldn’t notice it unless looking through a loupe?
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 10:31 PM   #74
yannis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra_88 View Post
You wouldn’t notice it unless looking through a loupe?
If you check the S on DEEPSEA & SEA-DWELLER you will be able to notice the difference quite easily without the aid of a loupe.
Flat S is quite distinctive.

Old 7 March 2018, 10:47 PM   #75
ttomczak
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
Just be patient and deals pop up. I got a great condition 2010 black DSSD with B/P last week for 8300 $USD on here. Granted, it took me almost 3 months to find the right one, but when it happens like that, it adds that much more joy to wear, knowing you didn't overpay
While not quite as good a deal as this, on that auction site, an excellent condition JC with all papers (including the books, dvd, etc) sold for 11,300.00

Seller had a very high rating with years on the bay so deals are out there.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 11:17 PM   #76
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionkwj View Post
Don’t sweat, this is always a better strategy.

Follow my watches on Instagram @vintagearmadillo
said no one who ever sold the 16610LV
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 11:19 PM   #77
aquatimerfla
Banned

IF they put a new movement in the DSSD **I doubt it** you can guarantee it will only be the black dial

JC model is history. Will not be returning w new movement.
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 11:20 PM   #78
yannis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
IF they put a new movement in the DSSD **I doubt it** you can guarantee it will only be the black dial

JC model is history. Will not be returning w new movement.
I agree. it wouldn't make sense afterall.

Old 7 March 2018, 11:44 PM   #79
herts9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you check the S on DEEPSEA & SEA-DWELLER you will be able to notice the difference quite easily without the aid of a loupe.
Flat S is quite distinctive.
quite distinctive. mine does not fit into the MK I or MK II category, but seems to be a hybrid of both (flat S, but with the thin coronet and font/thickness). aberrations always exist, but don't have the heart to bump an old thread
Old 8 March 2018, 12:44 AM   #80
yannis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
quite distinctive. mine does not fit into the MK I or MK II category, but seems to be a hybrid of both (flat S, but with the thin coronet and font/thickness). aberrations always exist, but don't have the heart to bump an old thread
Can you post a photo of the dial? There is MK III as well. You are talking about the black dial yes?

Old 8 March 2018, 01:36 AM   #81
herts9
"TRF" Member

Yep. Flat S. To the points of the crown to the base are a uniform line thickness as opposed to varying thickness. And it looks like a thinner font as well

Just weird nuance, I'm sure.

Old 8 March 2018, 02:57 AM   #82
yannis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep. Flat S. To the points of the crown to the base are a uniform line thickness as opposed to varying thickness. And it looks like a thinner font as well

Just weird nuance, I'm sure.

I should take a picture of my self trying to check the dial...i am sure i look like an owl now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (5.9 KB, 344 views)

Old 8 March 2018, 03:04 AM   #83
yannis
"TRF" Member

Looks like a MK I to me Brian.

Old 8 March 2018, 03:06 AM   #84
herts9
"TRF" Member

I'm actually wearing the thing today. i'll get the hands the hell out of the way.

Old 8 March 2018, 03:06 AM   #85
herts9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks like a MK I to me Brian.
my assessment as well. thanks for the reassurance, buddy!

MK I, MK III, MK 8...they're all beautiful!
Old 8 March 2018, 03:08 AM   #86
yannis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
my assessment as well. thanks for the reassurance, buddy!

MK I, MK III, MK 8...they're all beautiful!
For some reason the flat S looks great on both this and the JC (JC is closer to the flat S MK I version anyway).

Old 8 March 2018, 03:19 AM   #87
RedLs3
Banned

Just checked mine... got the mk1 dial, that unique rolex crown and font. The actual piece that went down with cameron on the dive should be the jc edition. Not the blue.. my 2cents

Blues growing on me though.. looks like my next one instead of the red sea dweller. That cyclops on the sd43 ruins the watch.
RedLs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 06:13 AM   #88
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Quote:
I'll tell you what the Hong Kong dealers are saying
✓ Get Ref 116610LN + 116610LV.
Apparently these are the watches that matter at the moment. If Hulk is discontinued , the HK Grey market sellers are going to immediately markup the price of a BNIB to HK$ 100000 ( or US 12766 based on today's FOREX). What about its elder sibling, Mr Kermit 16620lv ? The same dealers are going to peg Kermit at US$19 K. Period! In the second scenario if Hulk is still in production after the announcement of the new Sub 126610LN , the price of the Hulk is going to drop but will remain above HK$84000 ( US$ 10723)
✓ Now the second part of the story is interesting. If Ref 116610 LN is discontinued and replaced with Ref 126610 LN , then the current SubC prices are going to shoot up like the Burj Khalifa! Funny! First time I've even heard Chinese dealers actually commenting on the tallest building in the world !. Their advice? Get the Ceramic Sub now ( Date or No Date)
✓ What about the Ref 116660 D-Blue? I'll just offer my thoughts based on what's going on in Malaysia. A couple of my seller friends are offering BNIBs at between US$ 12.5K and 13.5K . What if you want to sell your BNIB/ LNIB D-Blue ? I was surprise to learn that seasoned buyers are only going to offer you a consistent US$ 11 175 all cash. Don't ask me how they came to this figure. There's also a glut of preowned in KL going for something like US11-12K (D-Blue) and US $9.0-9.5K ( black or regular version). I mean most of the second hand 116660 D Blue i've seen are LNIB, rarely worn because owners assumed prices will shoot up through the roof or in most instances, the Ref 116660 was too big on the wrist, many owners I know just traded and switched to the SD43. You won't believe it if I told you there's a second hand watch gallery in down town Kuala Lumpur right now that has 10 LNIB D-Blues in the glass display cabinet! Even if D-Blue is discontinued, I honestly dont anticipate a dramatic increase in value , more likely a snail paced appreciation. People will be focusing their attention on SD43 (like Hong Kong) and the newer models. So D-Blue needs another important triggering factor to jack up the price even higher -> That stimulus is Iron Jim @ James Cameron and you know what I mean. Incidentally there was a Rolex DJ41 ad today on page 5 of "The Star" , Malaysia's leading newspaper celebrating four Oscar winning directors all wearing Rolex watches including Iron Jim who was spotting the D-Blue
it looks like the asian market is reactive to todays market (slowed distribution of ss sports models) and not anticipating anything at all. and as far as DSSD in asia, well i think that market has smaller wrists than the rest of the world. And interestingly enough, James Cameron is wearing a classic black dial DSSD in that ad and not a D-Blue. Perhaps the special commemorative version of Rolex's flagship diver (D-Blue) has been discontinued! If i were you, id jump on those 10 LNIB from that display case!

https://www.rolex.com/arts-and-cultu...s-cameron.html
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 07:06 AM   #89
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You guys forgot to mention something very significant. It's the Only Rolex watch with Titanium components : The clamping ring + caseback
Most SDs have titanium components. The gas escape valves on the 16660, 16600, 116660, 116600 and 126600 are all made of titanium. The valve on the original 1665 is stainless steel.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 07:10 AM   #90
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you"ll find the clamping ring might be SS.
Of course, as you have mentioned the Case-back is Titanium.