The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2018, 07:27 AM   #91
EightTenths
"TRF" Member

I support you WG BLRO owners. I don't have one but I can imagine it feels better on the wrist, corrosion proof, and black dial. The new blue dial looks like a GMT has gone off the reservation... might as well add diamonds.
EightTenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:37 AM   #92
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post

PM feels so different on the wrist. I suspect those WG BLRO or WG Sky D owners who are most upset by the introduction of a SS BLRO are those that want other people to know that their watch is 2.5x more expensive.

The fact I could pick up one in SS for half the price (assuming I would have to get it from the gray market) is irrelevant. Its the WG I want. The difference on the wrist is significant
This is so true, Scott. I have been reading all the doom and gloom BLRO posts all day with some interest. It was one of my favorite watches, if not my favorite, before the day began. And you know what, it still is, for the very reason you've listed.

So...no, the BLRO isn't "trashed." And no, don't worry about me. I'm fine.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:40 AM   #93
WhiskeyNovember
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
WG BLRO prices will plummet! It will be the most affordable and likely least desirable PM piece going forward. The new model just put the nail in the coffin.

What a ridiculous comment. There is only one way a dis-continued and now very exclusive model is going and that’s UP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WhiskeyNovember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:41 AM   #94
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan View Post
I feel for the BLRO owners here, the premium for exclusivity has just run out.
Actually they were easily obtained at a discount. What do you mean by premium? Do you really think people who were buying that watch only wanted the red and blue bezel? They would by an old gmt at a fraction.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:45 AM   #95
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiganSteve View Post
What a ridiculous comment. There is only one way a dis-continued and now very exclusive model is going and that’s UP!

You must be kidding. The BLRO is one model I see that just sits in the display case at almost every AD I frequent. It was a dog since it's birth. With a SS model now available, who will want it?
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:58 AM   #96
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
.... I suspect those WG BLRO or WG Sky D owners who are most upset by the introduction of a SS BLRO are those that want other people to know that their watch is 2.5x more expensive. :

As a disgruntled BLRO owner I respectfully disagree with the ‘wanting others to know that my watch is more expensive’ comment....

It’s about the exclusivity for me in that I enjoy owning something that little bit less common.

I’ve looked at the photo’s and I still think my/the first generation of the modern Pepsi is the best looking and I’m not too concerned about the resale value so I won’t be flipping just yet.

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:59 AM   #97
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Neutral WG owner here

When BLRO came out 4 years ago, the color of the bezel was the main driver why I wanted one.

Thank god I prefer oyster bracelet over jubilee. If my preference was the other way around, I would be ticked that Rolex is now releasing the exact watch that I could have wanted at SS price.

I feel ok now there is a little brother in SS. I prefer WG anyways since I don't really want the general public to know I am wearing PM.

Now, if Rolex released a new Pepsi in SS with oyster bracelet, I would be really ticked.

Oh, and I won't get the new WG blue dial, my existing one is serving me just fine.

Ymmv.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:02 AM   #98
WhiskeyNovember
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
You must be kidding. The BLRO is one model I see that just sits in the display case at almost every AD I frequent. It was a dog since it's birth. With a SS model now available, who will want it?

Agree - it was a slow mover, hence this brilliance. Rolex have been very clever here. The demand for the new SS will be Daytona like (if not more) and will be virtually impossible for the masses to own. The exclusivity of the new piece will enhance the status and desirability for the WG version (only available on the better looking oyster bracelet so immediately recognised as the big money version). This, and the fact that the 116719BLRO is now a limited production run, makes the model a certainty to be a future collectors piece. Also by removing the red GMT hand from the new WG (blue dial) BLRO they have distinguished the original WG model even further. The SD43 owners would be rejoicing if Rolex had removed the red text from the anniversary model!

Just my opinion, but when you look at the overall picture it makes a lot of sense and I think the WG BLRO owners will be sleeping well tonight.

WhiskeyNovember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:03 AM   #99
spuds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
WG BLRO prices will plummet! It will be the most affordable and likely least desirable PM piece going forward. The new model just put the nail in the coffin.
Why the drama??

It’s no different to the similarity in price between a ceramic Daytona bought via a grey and a second hand PM Daytona mate, there’s nothing new going on here really!!

Nobody buys a PM watch with their prime concern being resale....

Old 22 March 2018, 08:33 AM   #100
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiganSteve View Post
Agree - it was a slow mover, hence this brilliance. Rolex have been very clever here. The demand for the new SS will be Daytona like (if not more) and will be virtually impossible for the masses to own. The exclusivity of the new piece will enhance the status and desirability for the WG version (only available on the better looking oyster bracelet so immediately recognised as the big money version). This, and the fact that the 116719BLRO is now a limited production run, makes the model a certainty to be a future collectors piece. Also by removing the red GMT hand from the new WG (blue dial) BLRO they have distinguished the original WG model even further. The SD43 owners would be rejoicing if Rolex had removed the red text from the anniversary model!

Just my opinion, but when you look at the overall picture it makes a lot of sense and I think the WG BLRO owners will be sleeping well tonight.

And the introduction of Tudor GMT reference allows a way for Rolex/Tudor to sell a million of them without dilution of Rolex exclusivity.
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:35 AM   #101
spuds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally9 View Post
This whole debate runs the risk of turning rather crass. They way some are going on about this is shocking and some people need to take a look at themselves. I find it incredible that there seems to be an almost joyous celebration not simply because the BLRO is available in SS but it is in someway two fingers up to the WG owners who are now all of a sudden up themselves and deserving of a perceived punishment. In addition celebrating or promoting a perceived loss in value of someone’s watch is ignorant and defies what I beleive this hobby and forum should be all about. Despite the Maître d and other similar snidey comments the laughable thing is many won’t be able to get a SS model for love nor money!
Given the choice I’d take WG all day every day, not because I want to be better, not because I have more disposable income and want to show off and not because I want a better table at a restaraunt - I’d do it because quite simply I prefer the WG piece and in all honesty the value current or future is moot
Well said Sir.

Old 22 March 2018, 08:35 AM   #102
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Still love my blro. And love it even more that it was the first modern Pepsi. Now that it is discontinued and didn’t sell well by any measure, it is even more exclusive. And... it’s pure stealth- it’s a pm model that looks exactly like the ss model. No other modern wg model has that going. Not even the ss skyd has the same dial as the wg model.

Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:41 AM   #103
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Let's be honest here. Rolex made a mistake releasing a WG Pepsi. It would've made more sense to make the BLNR WG since it was a new watch. The Pepsi had always been SS. It would be like Rolex releasing the classic black Sub in WG only.

However, WG BLRO owners have something special. I highly doubt Rolex will ever release another WG Pepsi so it will be a collector's item down the road. It also had a pretty short run. I don't see them going for $50k on the market anytime soon but prices will go up over the next decades.

Sure, there's some schadenfreude on display here, but those who feel this way aren't currently enjoying a WG BLRO.
Old 22 March 2018, 08:45 AM   #104
Gary.
"TRF" Member

If the Oyster is kept exclusive to WG, that will be enough of a visual signifier to maintain a healthy gap between the two models and their values.
For those who don't believe that, I have two word: fat four.
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:47 AM   #105
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdp789 View Post
So who going to buy the new blue dial wg gmt

I think it will sell slower then the black faced BLRO did. The blue dial is just too much blue. I think that the original BLRO used prices may dip initially but then rebound. I've always considered the BLRO and more so now that you can't have the black face anymore
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:49 AM   #106
ralpie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
Let's be honest here. Rolex made a mistake releasing a WG Pepsi. It would've made more sense to make the BLNR WG since it was a new watch. The Pepsi had always been SS. It would be like Rolex releasing the classic black Sub in WG only.

However, WG BLRO owners have something special. I highly doubt Rolex will ever release another WG Pepsi so it will be a collector's item down the road. It also had a pretty short run. I don't see them going for $50k on the market anytime soon but prices will go up over the next decades.

Sure, there's some schadenfreude on display here, but those who feel this way aren't currently enjoying a WG BLRO.
I agree with this. I considered it greedy as soon as I saw it. I wanted it, but was a bit bothered by the fact that they chose WG over SS. After the mistake, they should've made the SS with the blue dial that now graces the new WG BLRO, to keep some dial exclusivity for WG.

Honestly, I still want a WG BLRO. I might be wrong to think I should now be paying less for it, but as somebody who is interested, I am a small part of the market that will do the dictating.
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:49 AM   #107
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
As a disgruntled BLRO owner I respectfully disagree with the ‘wanting others to know that my watch is more expensive’ comment....

It’s about the exclusivity for me in that I enjoy owning something that little bit less common.

I’ve looked at the photo’s and I still think my/the first generation of the modern Pepsi is the best looking and I’m not too concerned about the resale value so I won’t be flipping just yet.
Good point about exclusivity vs. price. WG owners (I am not one of them) don't buy WG to show off, that would have been achieved far easier with YG.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:51 AM   #108
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally9 View Post
This whole debate runs the risk of turning rather crass. They way some are going on about this is shocking and some people need to take a look at themselves. I find it incredible that there seems to be an almost joyous celebration not simply because the BLRO is available in SS but it is in someway two fingers up to the WG owners who are now all of a sudden up themselves and deserving of a perceived punishment. In addition celebrating or promoting a perceived loss in value of someone’s watch is ignorant and defies what I beleive this hobby and forum should be all about. Despite the Maître d and other similar snidey comments the laughable thing is many won’t be able to get a SS model for love nor money!
Given the choice I’d take WG all day every day, not because I want to be better, not because I have more disposable income and want to show off and not because I want a better table at a restaraunt - I’d do it because quite simply I prefer the WG piece and in all honesty the value current or future is moot

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:54 AM   #109
psv
"TRF" Member

I can't bother reading this entire thread, but I don't think 116719 owners will cry much. It is a beautiful pieces, Rolex's white gold has a much warmer and nicer shine to it, and you cannot replace the heft/experience of a WG piece. Same thing goes for the Daytona.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:04 AM   #110
Kaapu
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex,SUF
Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
Great example and a cautionary tale for Rolex!

In the early nineties Harley’s were hard to find.
You put down your money down at the dealership and waited up to a year to pick up your bike.

Used bikes often sold at or above MSRP. (Sound familiar?)

Harley’s were in demand and so they built a new factory and made more and more of them. And the customers were happy because there were no more waiting lists and dealers couldn’t ask for MSRP + anymore.

They forced the dealers to build fancy boutiques and enforced prices to try to offset the drop in value.

Now the dealers have unsold stock sitting on the showroom floor, and resale value on a ten year old Harley is comparable to a ten year old car. They are no longer rare and special and sought after, and the value reflects that.

Harley just closed one of their factories and cut production.
They say their customers are aging out of the bike market, and younger people just aren’t buying bikes like they used to.
Many parallels to mechanical watches!
Fully agree. My +20 years boys have no interest towards my bikes or watches. And as far as I know, their friends are the same. Future looks boring
Kaapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:19 AM   #111
spuds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
WG owners don't buy WG to show off, that would have been achieved far easier with YG.
Thank you!!

Old 22 March 2018, 09:26 AM   #112
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I can't see the WG taking a big hit to be honest. To start with, lots of people prefer the oyster bracelet. Secondly, people who want a gold watch, probably on the main, want a gold watch! And finally, the SS model is going to be tough to get!

And for those that like the exclusivity of the WG, I suspect that isn't going to change! I haven't seen and SD4K's in the wild, and I'm pretty sure there are more of them out there than there will be SS Pepsi's in the next few years.

And let's not forget, not everyone is as geeky as we are about watches...and sales folks will sell to punters off the street the watches they have in stock, which won't be the SS Pepsi!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:39 AM   #113
rudegar
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40 Pt
Quote:
Originally Posted by affalterbach View Post
I love my BLRO and think the new SS on Jubilee is fantastic and plan on getting one. They're very different.
I agree with you and as I said in a different thread, it will probably never happen in a WG BLRO wearer’s lifetime to see a SS BLRO in the wild except at watch events. It’s all in our WIS heads. I don’t disparage that-how we feel about our pieces is important. But to others and the market value I think it’s a nonevent.
rudegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:49 AM   #114
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Yeah I'm trying to feel sorry for all you poor guys who have a GOLD ROLEX but you know I just can't get there, along with the rest of the world...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:53 AM   #115
Oat Willy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 116610LV
The WG version is still the one to have if you don't like the jubilee
Oat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:54 AM   #116
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
This borders on rude and complete indifference to BLRO owners. Yea Rolex your customers who spent 10s of thousands of $ on that model only to see you with complete disregard pop out a SS version. Ok so it has a jubilee bracelet. Good for you Rolex.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:57 AM   #117
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat Willy View Post
The WG version is still the one to have if you don't like the jubilee
I beg to differ as I prefer the BLNR much more over the WG.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:12 AM   #118
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I don’t see what the issue is. Look at the Daytona! Especially on the 116520 versus 1116509! They look exactly the same, but what people love about the 116509 is that whilst it has alll the properties of the SS, it’s got the heft of the WG. Furthermore, there are even some models of the 116509 that use the dial from the black SS Daytona - with or without diamonds. Even the guys that own the 116520, some of them are putting in the WG dials into their watches, but you don’t see anyone running around and saying how much of a slap in the face it is to white gold Owners.
Old 22 March 2018, 10:13 AM   #119
rph08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I beg to differ as I prefer the BLNR much more over the WG.
I also prefer the BLNR to all other current production GMT's, and I'd take the WG BLRO over the new SS reference. IMHO, GMT's look better on an Oyster.

Canyonero! Canyonero!
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:17 AM   #120
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
As a BLRO owner I hate to admit that I agree, but I do.

As an avid collector of Rolex watches this may well have me defecting to AP and even Omega.

And again, to be honest I wish I had....
I’m happy and content with my WG BLRO and am happy others can enjoy this bezel on a SS “version”

It’s all good

tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote