The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2018, 10:37 AM   #121
Oat Willy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 116610LV
Personally, I think this release tanks the Batman's value, just because the Batman is now the SS GMT with the inferior movement
Oat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:39 AM   #122
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
I beg to differ as I prefer the BLNR much more over the WG.

It's all about personal preference. I own the BLNR and the BLRO and love them both.
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:43 AM   #123
Timetracker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat Willy View Post
Personally, I think this release tanks the Batman's value, just because the Batman is now the SS GMT with the inferior movement
‘Inferior’ movement?
Timetracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 04:11 PM   #124
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetracker View Post
‘Inferior’ movement?
Shorter power reserve and less accuracy with the old movement.
That would make the new One superior.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 04:13 PM   #125
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfromleeds View Post
they should have made the coke , but they went for the easier route using the bezels from the blro , exactly the same bezel
That was rather weak.
A coke would have been much better.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 04:17 PM   #126
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Shocking move from Rolex for sure. I wouldn't have ever imagined this to be possible and to me it shows real change from Rolex. We cannot expect the traditional Rolex anymore playing by the same "set of rules" that's been coined by them for so long.....changing times and the company clearly has some different goals moving forward. Sorry for the gutted WG owners but I think Dr. Tom has the right attitude....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
I’m happy and content with my WG BLRO and am happy others can enjoy this bezel on a SS “version”

It’s all good
It's not like the watch is magically less enjoyable than it has been already for you, so just continue enjoying the watch knowing you have a more significant and ultimately will be more rare piece for the times to come. IMO you couldn't have really expected the value to appreciate buying PM Rolex so that doesn't change anything and the movement improvements mean little IMO (nice to have don't get me wrong, but as usual nothing groundbreaking from Rolex, it's just an evolution/improvement to the existing setup).
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 04:18 PM   #127
Gary.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat Willy View Post
Yeah, it'll tank like all those Single Red Sea-Dwellers and Paul Newman Daytonas with their old movements....
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 04:30 PM   #128
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Am I the only one who finds Rolex's naming and our nick naming of the watch awkward? First of all the colors aren't Bleu and Rouge (Blue and Red). They are Grain de Raisin and Canneberge (grape and cranberry). Maybe it should be called a GRCA to be truer to its real coloring instead of BLRO. Has anyone ever seen a Pepsi can with those colors on it? I'm not sure what to call this sort of deceit.

Believe those colors are what they're called if you want; personally I'm not color blind nor gullible.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 05:18 PM   #129
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally9 View Post
This whole debate runs the risk of turning rather crass. They way some are going on about this is shocking and some people need to take a look at themselves. I find it incredible that there seems to be an almost joyous celebration not simply because the BLRO is available in SS but it is in someway two fingers up to the WG owners who are now all of a sudden up themselves and deserving of a perceived punishment. In addition celebrating or promoting a perceived loss in value of someone’s watch is ignorant and defies what I beleive this hobby and forum should be all about. Despite the Maître d and other similar snidey comments the laughable thing is many won’t be able to get a SS model for love nor money!
Given the choice I’d take WG all day every day, not because I want to be better, not because I have more disposable income and want to show off and not because I want a better table at a restaraunt - I’d do it because quite simply I prefer the WG piece and in all honesty the value current or future is moot
I think my earlier post might not have been clear, I'd hoped the >gasp< would have indicated the shitty table comment was being sarcastic and alluding to the fact that WG watch owners are NOT shallow, flashy knobs.....
Hence my first line asking why WG owners would be roiled:
"How so? They still have a gold watch and it's probably going to be worth tomorrow pretty much what it was worth yesterday."

I apologize for my bad phrasing....
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 06:34 PM   #130
garyfromleeds
Banned

Watch: Deepsea D Blue
[QUOTE=Roll the Lex;8398831]Still love my blro. And love it even more that it was the first modern Pepsi. Now that it is discontinued and didn’t sell well by any measure, it is even more exclusive. And... it’s pure stealth- it’s a pm model that looks exactly like the ss model. No other modern wg model has that going. Not even the ss skyd has the same dial as the wg model.

you said it not me " its a pm model that looks exactly like the ss model "

thats what I said from the start the new Pepsi just trashed the BLRO it makes the BLRO look cheaper than it is , the new steel Pepsi watches will be ten a penny in a couple of years time when theres a few kicking about rather like the all black ceramic gmt.
garyfromleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:19 PM   #131
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
I’m happy and content with my WG BLRO and am happy others can enjoy this bezel on a SS “version”

It’s all good

Well said Tom!
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:28 PM   #132
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Woa, people need to chill. So sensitive! Sometimes I wonder how some of us have made it so far that they can own such fine timepieces. It's a nasty world. This forum is really friendly compared to some places. I find it puzzling when people get upset here - I quite value honesty myself. I love it when the gloves come off (a phrase I learnt on here).
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:50 PM   #133
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
I must say as much as I love the idea of being able to afford a ceramic Pepsi dial as the WG was out of my reach, I can't help but feel Rolex's decision to release a SS version is like backstabbing their WG owners.

It also affects the old 16710 owners.... it was cool to own a historic SS version and an added bonus that the closest new watch is a high end PM watch. Now that bonus is gone, with the closest new watch being a newer SS version.
The newer SS version with its exclusive Jubilee bracelet isn't a patch on the old 16710. I think prices will continue to go nuts. I'm never selling mine but the latest lacklustre offering from Rolex and the closest new watch being a Tudor can only be positive things for the old 16710.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:52 PM   #134
garyfromleeds
Banned

when I started this post I did genuinely and still do think hand on heart that Rolex have given the white gold BLRO owners a rough ride here with the new Pepsi model release , not only do I think this but some of you guys that own the BLRO have said the same !

This isn't a debate at each other or scoring points !
The new Pepsi is a 3rd of the price at least of a watch that looks far to similar to there very high end model the BLRO .

lets not forget one thing here guys where all in this together because the steel Pepsi will have a knock on effect to most of the popular models , if you was looking to buy a sub or a blnr or a hulk , seadweller 43mm maybe you may now want or wait for the Pepsi !

see where I'm coming from !
Old 22 March 2018, 07:57 PM   #135
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donq View Post
Shorter power reserve and less accuracy with the old movement.
That would make the new One superior.
Less accuracy? LOL! Sorry but my 3186 movements are spot on like every Rolex I have ever owned. So I go from 0 to .5 seconds to what per day - how accurate does one need watch? If worried about .5 seconds day perhaps quartz best option. Also 24 extra hours of reserve on an automatic watch big deal. As for people saying it will tank the BLNR perhaps have a look back at Rolex history and new movements have never tanked a Rolex watch before. I have been reading all kinds of comments from plummet to deep dive to tank...Please!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:01 PM   #136
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

I think everyone knew it was inevitable in SS once they created the blue/red ceramic insert.
It's called maximising profits. They'll shift millions of the new ones.
Old 22 March 2018, 08:04 PM   #137
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
As a WG Pepsi and WG SkD owner, I disagree. If I want people to know that I’m wearing an expensive watch, there are better watch choices for that purpose. What irks me is the hit my watches will take in value. Of course I buy watches because I like them and not as an investment. And I still like them. However, many of us here are flippers or will trade watches as tastes changes. So now our trade value has diminished, impacting future trades.
I appreciate your point Mike, but surely there is a risk that any PM watch is going to bomb in value at some point?

Its not just watches either. But if that is a real issue, then perhaps we all need to adjust our purchase expectations.

There's no doubt that the SS Pepsi will be much harder to get than the BLNR.

Give it a month or so and I suspect the (un)availability of a SS BLRO won't have that much impact, if any, on the WG reference.

We'll see a short term drop in response to the SS release. And in time equilibrium will be restored.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:15 PM   #138
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
As a disgruntled BLRO owner I respectfully disagree with the ‘wanting others to know that my watch is more expensive’ comment....

It’s about the exclusivity for me in that I enjoy owning something that little bit less common.

I’ve looked at the photo’s and I still think my/the first generation of the modern Pepsi is the best looking and I’m not too concerned about the resale value so I won’t be flipping just yet.
But Dan, your WG BLRO has just become more exclusive, not less.

It appears that you can no longer purchase a BLRO with a black dial on an oyster bracelet. In any material, let alone WG.

You don't hear WG OF Daytona owners maoning about the fact you can put a SS Ceramic Daytona on OF with a pair of £50 endlinks, creating a watch that 99.95 of the population will consider looks exactly the same as the WG version.

(And lets be honest, its going to be easier and cheaper to source an OF for your SS Daytona C than it is a SS BLRO for some years to come)

Old 22 March 2018, 08:17 PM   #139
NeoAnderson
"TRF" Member

Its the ultimate stealth look.
NeoAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:18 PM   #140
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiganSteve View Post
Agree - it was a slow mover, hence this brilliance. Rolex have been very clever here. The demand for the new SS will be Daytona like (if not more) and will be virtually impossible for the masses to own. The exclusivity of the new piece will enhance the status and desirability for the WG version (only available on the better looking oyster bracelet so immediately recognised as the big money version). This, and the fact that the 116719BLRO is now a limited production run, makes the model a certainty to be a future collectors piece. Also by removing the red GMT hand from the new WG (blue dial) BLRO they have distinguished the original WG model even further. The SD43 owners would be rejoicing if Rolex had removed the red text from the anniversary model!

Just my opinion, but when you look at the overall picture it makes a lot of sense and I think the WG BLRO owners will be sleeping well tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said mate. Its all knee jerk reaction without really thinking it through

Old 22 March 2018, 08:18 PM   #141
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
I don't want one and I'm surely not getting on any list, but I suspect that these SS versions will be hard to come by and bunches of them will go straight out the back door of ADs to greys.

I'm actually getting a bit tired of Rolex's games. Intentional or not.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:01 AM   #142
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yeah I'm trying to feel sorry for all you poor guys who have a GOLD ROLEX but you know I just can't get there, along with the rest of the world...

LOL!

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:03 AM   #143
garyfromleeds
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
I don't want one and I'm surely not getting on any list, but I suspect that these SS versions will be hard to come by and bunches of them will go straight out the back door of ADs to greys.

I'm with you on that , the ADs also think there the dogs Bollxcks its now getting boring to be honest
Old 23 March 2018, 12:37 AM   #144
Hands90
"TRF" Member

New movement and nice bracelet.
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:46 AM   #145
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post

yes ,,i think a lot of people are totally fed up with the games and demands,
worse feeling must be dropping 10k on a ss piece and feeling like the ad is doing you a favour,,,,,
jumped ship to Tudor when i collected the BB green,,,,,
Al least i am giving the pcls a nice rest and our rolex can slip into semi-retirement for the for-seeable future,,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 12:52 AM   #146
alexxelor
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I did not imagine this pepsi, I would have preferred a coke...
alexxelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:22 AM   #147
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
I’ve got my WG BLRO, I’m very happy with it and it’s not going anywhere. Hopefully Rolex will produce enough SS models to keep up with the demand. I just see it as another model to add to the crazy wait lists.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 01:39 AM   #148
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxelor View Post
I did not imagine this pepsi, I would have preferred a coke...

I would have preferred a Coke also.

Old 23 March 2018, 01:42 AM   #149
locdoc11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I am a super big GMT fan and was very curious about the BLRO until I tried it on. To me it didn't feel special enough to warrant the extra money over the BLNR I already had; especially since I have a 16710 with both Coke and Pepsi bezels.

My 718 in YG with green dial I do feel is special enough to warrant the extra spend, but I'm not a WG guy at all. I don't own a single WG piece.

I get WG if you’re trying to be stealthy, but other than that it’s not my thing. To me, gold is yellow or rose.

Old 23 March 2018, 01:42 AM   #150
topfuel25
Banned

BLRO owners are gonna get affected for a fact. Self denial isn’t gonna much consolation but just move on to othter models and note that wg usually takes a hit when it comes to value. If one is keeping the watch for generations then one shouldn’t even be bothered with this thread in the first place :)
topfuel25 is offline   Reply With Quote