The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2018, 11:40 PM   #31
locdoc11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
The LN and BLRO have different personalities, but the LN is a beauty in itself too.

Maybe try adding more color to the collection, or adding the BLRO without subtracting the LN.

Nothing wrong with having two GMTs!

I’m first on the waiting list for the new Pepsi GMT at my AD. I’m thinking about just keeping this beauty so that I have the older GMT plus the new SS GMT Pepsi. But the new root beer GMT is SO beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 March 2018, 11:57 PM   #32
Limestonedan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I personally find the black GMT with green hand nicer than all these new Coke, Pepsi, Batman and what have you.
Couldn't agree more. The black LN is versatile and a classic.

In addition to the bracelet, you can put various straps on it, croc, leather, rubber, dress it up/down, whatever.

It's an excellent all-around watch for work, casual wear, dinner, and traveling the globe.

My two cents anyway..
Limestonedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 12:04 AM   #33
4BostonB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I also bought a LN about a month ago and despite a brief period of bitterness when I learned of the new movement, I don't have any buyer's regret. The following is comparing my 116710LN to the new SS BLRO as a primary watch - I travel a lot for work, so the GMT complication is important to me.

The BLRO is only available on jubilee, and you can't swap in an oyster. Since I'm below the age of 100, I think that the oyster bracelet looks better and will age better (less stretch). The new Pepsi is also a very loud watch. If you're picking between the LN and the BLRO, you need to consider that the latter will be much more recognizable, which isn't a benefit. I can keep the LN under peoples' radar, which is valuable to me when meeting with clients or even just walking around on the street. I didn't buy this watch because I wanted people to know that I bought a Rolex, I bought it because I like how it looks and it offers a useful set of features. I also think that it would be annoying to have to worry about the colors on the BLRO clashing against a shirt that I'm wearing. The colorful new GMT that you can wear in most situations is the BLNR.

I get that the LN is rather stoic looking in comparison to the Pepsi, but for a watch I'm going to be wearing most days, I'd rather have something that's less of an attention grabber. I think my next watch needs to be something dressier on leather (maybe a GO Senator or one of the smaller diameter GS Spring Drive or High Beat references). But if you already have the LN, I wouldn't replace it - just build around it.
4BostonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 12:05 AM   #34
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

As everyone is saying LN is a classic just like black Sub. I actually wear my LN the most often out of my Rolex collection. I'll add the new SS BLRO eventually but the old LN and SS BLRO are 2 very different watches as they have different cases, dials, bracelets, and even movements. So I'd keep that LN and add the SS BLRO later
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 12:07 AM   #35
4BostonB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limestonedan View Post
Couldn't agree more. The black LN is versatile and a classic.

In addition to the bracelet, you can put various straps on it, croc, leather, rubber, dress it up/down, whatever.

It's an excellent all-around watch for work, casual wear, dinner, and traveling the globe.

My two cents anyway..
Plus the touch of green is a subdued, fun touch. The added bonus of this is that the GMT Master II text kind of blends into the dial, so it looks a little less cluttered than three lines of white text.

That's what I can't get past about the Daytona and the modern Sub - there's way too many words. The 14060 - there's an appropriate amount of dial text.
4BostonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 01:41 AM   #36
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
The LN is my only watch and worn every day, purchased new a few months ago. I like the watch and the GMT function but I sometimes feel the appearance is a little dull and too corporate.

Now compared to the new pepsi, despite the ceramic colors more closely resembling fruit flavored candy rather than a traditional bezel, seems so much more exciting to me. If the choice was given to me I would definitely have chosen the pepsi despite its colors lacking the greatness of the pre-ceramic models.

Maybe my real problem is that there is such a lack of variation in a collection of just one watch despite me being such a watch enthusiast?

I had an Explorer 1 and it is a fantastic watch. But I felt the same way. I wanted color. So now I avoid watches whose colors are just black or white. Much happier with my pieces.

The one watch vs collection is a struggle. I’ve been a one watch guy for a little over 2yrs.

Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 04:49 AM   #37
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
The LN can be appreciated if only for the fact you have it on your wrist. I’m thinking two years before you could have the SS BLRO at MSRP. Put your name on the list and enjoy the LN in the meantime.
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 06:45 AM   #38
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BostonB View Post
I also bought a LN about a month ago and despite a brief period of bitterness when I learned of the new movement, I don't have any buyer's regret. The following is comparing my 116710LN to the new SS BLRO as a primary watch - I travel a lot for work, so the GMT complication is important to me.

The BLRO is only available on jubilee, and you can't swap in an oyster. Since I'm below the age of 100, I think that the oyster bracelet looks better and will age better (less stretch). The new Pepsi is also a very loud watch. If you're picking between the LN and the BLRO, you need to consider that the latter will be much more recognizable, which isn't a benefit. I can keep the LN under peoples' radar, which is valuable to me when meeting with clients or even just walking around on the street. I didn't buy this watch because I wanted people to know that I bought a Rolex, I bought it because I like how it looks and it offers a useful set of features. I also think that it would be annoying to have to worry about the colors on the BLRO clashing against a shirt that I'm wearing. The colorful new GMT that you can wear in most situations is the BLNR.

I get that the LN is rather stoic looking in comparison to the Pepsi, but for a watch I'm going to be wearing most days, I'd rather have something that's less of an attention grabber. I think my next watch needs to be something dressier on leather (maybe a GO Senator or one of the smaller diameter GS Spring Drive or High Beat references). But if you already have the LN, I wouldn't replace it - just build around it.
---> This. I use my LN everyday due to its simple, understated look. I changed to a black NATO band and made it even more discreet. I bought the LN first, then got a BLNR, but just couldn't come to terms with the colour, so I sold it. Its a beaut, but I can't escape the draw of the LN as my daily.

R
Odie-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 11:16 PM   #39
flamp
"TRF" Member

The BLNR looks unbalanced to me with the split of colour on the dial being abrupt and distinct. It should have been gradual with a colour gradient transitioning from blue to black. Then it will appear perfect. Can't get over the distinct line splitting the two colours. If they can do it like the deep sea blue black dial. Then again I find myself looking up the BLNR once a while. Own a LN.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk
flamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 01:06 AM   #40
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
OP asked a simple question, how can I not feel bored...?

That's an easy one. Buy another watch.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 01:14 AM   #41
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwingy View Post
I hear you OP - I had the LN for a year as my one and only watch and as nice as it is, it gets boring. Flipping for a Pepsi as your one and only will only give you the same feeling after a while. Better off just adding to your collection with another watch.
So along those lines the Sub C LN is also boring ? and better sell it off for a HULK LV ?

No way ! the all black, and especially with that green text and 24 hour hand make the LN a beauty to behold.

I would keep it and go for the cheapest Pepsi you can find !
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 01:35 AM   #42
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
OP asked a simple question, how can I not feel bored...?

That's an easy one. Buy another watch.
Best suggestion so far.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 01:37 AM   #43
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

Maybe my real problem is that there is such a lack of variation in a collection of just one watch despite me being such a watch enthusiast?
Yes
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 01:38 AM   #44
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Wear a red and blue friendship bracelet on the same wrist.

Problem solved.

Or, flip the LN and add another $5k and wait 3-6 or as we say in Wawa, an 'AD Stretch'.

Snap! But by then it'll be $2k more and the AD won't honor the....

You know what, forget it. Buy a Moped and start drinking.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 01:38 AM   #45
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
The LN is my only watch and worn every day, purchased new a few months ago. I like the watch and the GMT function but I sometimes feel the appearance is a little dull and too corporate.

Now compared to the new pepsi, despite the ceramic colors more closely resembling fruit flavored candy rather than a traditional bezel, seems so much more exciting to me. If the choice was given to me I would definitely have chosen the pepsi despite its colors lacking the greatness of the pre-ceramic models.

Dull? OK..maybe a little when compared to my other more ostentatious appearing watches. But that's part of the charm. I like to see my GMT LN as a working watch. It's reliable, comfortable, matches with any office wear, easy to put on and forget it's there until I need to check the time. And I won't be distracted easily by it and that's a plus. In fact, I am the opposite of you. I have seen the Pepsi BLRO and is not attracted to it one bit.

Old 27 December 2018, 01:59 AM   #46
vritra
"TRF" Member

The BLRO is certainly more colorful, but I suspect it would be too much of an attention magnet for me to be comfortable wearing it very often.

Of course, all I can do is "suspect", since I have no prayer of getting one at a reasonable price any time soon. But I think I'd get a lot more use out of the black bezel GMT. Unless you know you'd be perfectly OK with wearing something that colorful, the Pepsi might be something that falls in the category of "better to want than to have".
vritra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 02:22 AM   #47
flamp
"TRF" Member

I think the argument here can not only be about whether the LN is more desired than its coloured siblings. But also if black is the desired for its understated tone then the Sub trumps it. The LN big digits does make it a bit busy compared to the Sub and if simplicity is the goal here then I think the Sub is more classic. Owns a LN here.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk
flamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 02:39 AM   #48
Talbel
"TRF" Member

I have had the BLNR and the LN and now have the BLRO. The LN was my favorite of the three. I will own another one someday. There is just something classic about the look.
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 02:46 AM   #49
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I've always said if I were to be a one watch guy it would be the LN. That's the only reason I don't own it, I thought it would be too redundant with my SubC. I ended up with a Blnr from my AD. Easy to say you haven't had it long so give it a chance but if your bored to the point where you know it's over you can sell it for something different or ad to it. I'd keep it, I say it's the perfect one piece to have but it's your call. How about adding a DJ41 for some versatility?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 02:53 AM   #50
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Love the LN...
This forum inspires the keeping up with the joneses sometimes. After being here for so long and owning so many Rolex I've realised they're all actually beautiful. You're always going to lust after the newest thing that looks pretty in pictures.
After owning the BLRO, you'll look with desire in your eyes at the 2020 Basel watches.

Enjoy that beautiful LN.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 03:18 AM   #51
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
It seems your choice should be “both” rather than “either or.”

I also thought I was a one watch guy until I got my second and now third Rolex; and I am not even done yet. Sometimes I just need different colors and designs to suit the occasion and preference of the moment.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 04:36 AM   #52
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I would certainly count myself as an enthusiast but have just the one I want the most right now. The great thing is I can wear it everyday and not feel the need to swap out or leave another on the shelf unworn.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 10:20 AM   #53
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

LN is classic
BLRO is just another watch to add to collection

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 03:02 PM   #54
mosanman
"TRF" Member

I know exactly how you feel.

I bought my LN in 2016, and although I'm a serial flipper, it was the one watch I've ever kept for longer than 2 years.

The BLNR never appealed to me, so I was happy with the LN and never saw it as 'dull'.

When the BLRO was released, I loved the way it looked on the jubilee, but I wasn't 100% sold on the red/blue and still preferred the LN for its classic look.
At the time, I was thinking if only Rolex had updated the LN with the new movement and a jubilee, it would of been my dream watch.

This inspired me to switch the jubilee from my datejust to the LN.
It looked good at first, but then I started seeing more and more pics on forums of the BLRO, and grew to love the bi-coloured bezel to the point where, when I looked at my LN, I started to think it looked dull.

Ultimately, I ended up picking up a BLRO, but I still planned to hold on to the LN since I always thought it was a keeper.
Plus, as already mentioned by others, I felt justified in keeping it because it was enough of a "different' watch with a black bezel and an oyster bracelet.

However, after owning the BLRO for a month, I just knew that I would probably never choose to wear the LN over the Pepsi, and so I decided to sell it and not looked back since.

But who knows, I may end up regretting letting it go later on.
mosanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 04:37 PM   #55
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Put it on a strap -- it's like having a whole new watch.

Semi-glossy black croc looks great for something more classy. For sporty, the Rubber B with a green stripe is (literally, I suspect) made for your watch.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 05:15 PM   #56
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Add not subtract.

Your 'bored' not because the watch is boring but because its your only option.

You'd be bored of wearing the same shoes every day or eating steak every evening.

If you swapped the LN for a BLRO or any other watch for that matter, if you only have 1 option its only natural you will tire of it eventually regardless of the reference.

Try adding another watch to wear in rotation - it doesnt have to be expensive - Seiko make some nice sports watches with coloured bezels for a few hundred $$$ just to try and see how you get on.

You might actually find the coloured bezel is less versatile & I bet you would learn to love & appreciate the LN again if you did.

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 05:48 PM   #57
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I'd much prefer the LN as an only. It's just a professional looking no nonsense watch. Perfect in every way!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 06:11 PM   #58
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
I can’t do a comparison with Pepsi, as I have never seen one.

My LN has never come acrossed a boring.
Infact, as one other poster mentioned, it will be better to build around it.

Will no doubt be adding the BLRO in future, if I can even see one!!!!
Scapegoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 06:36 PM   #59
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

You need variety of color in your collection, I have GMT-LN in my collection almost 10 years but it's still my goto watch for formal parties. I have tried on a SS BLRO and would keep my LN even if I ever get a SS BLRO
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 06:50 PM   #60
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooter View Post
I agree
i had the BLRN twice and got bored twice by it (second attempt was shorter than the first) and a month ago i bought the LN. i find it much nicer than the BLRN and the BLRO (very ugly bezel colors). a way out of this might be the tudor GMT, which has really< nice bezel colors. it is just a bit too thick for my taste.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote