The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2018, 02:26 PM   #1
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Rolex hits a home run

Minimal changes. That which is new looks to sinificant past designs and models.

Why break what has worked for the last near 70 years of sports oyster models?

By offering tribute, they reinforce the past and catalyze interest in the already popular vintage models. Play tribute for a year or two..... reinvent from the past.

Gain exclusivity.... we will keep buying, complaining about supply, and ultimately driving up costs....

Genius. My hats off. Keep up the great work.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:11 PM   #2
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Completely agree

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 03:15 PM   #3
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Definitely.

The MBAs at Rolex are earning their salt.

I wish they had discontinued some models and not introduced as many pieces, but what do, I know! Lol
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:26 PM   #4
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I agree, it was the SD43 then now the SS Pepsi GMT.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 05:50 PM   #5
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Have to agree!!!
Old 23 March 2018, 06:19 PM   #6
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Agree 100%!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 06:25 PM   #7
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I'm with you. If Rolex released no new watches next year, I'd be happy.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 07:33 PM   #8
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Well said!
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 07:59 PM   #9
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Agree 100 %
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:16 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:21 PM   #11
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
Wow. Excellent summary of this years show. Rolex are indeed geniuses.
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 08:33 PM   #12
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am not a huge GMT fan but thought this years releases were ok. I prefer Dive watches so last years SD43 release was great for me. Rolex appears to take steps, not leaps in product development and introduction so each year it is usually something interesting.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 10:01 PM   #13
Xerxes77
Banned

Agree with you!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 10:04 PM   #14
mml4
"TRF" Member

I am so out of touch-I feel the exact opposite!
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:19 PM   #15
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Agreed...and would add that (IMO), we are starting to reach the law of diminishing returns with most, if not all of their watches. All of the line has received extensive re-tooling in the last 10 years, a constant surge toward perfection if you will.

I remember a post from JJ several years back where he observed just what exactly is there to be improved on? (or words to that effect) and I think we're at that point across most of the models offered nowadays. Of course, you're always going to have people clamoring for one thing or another, but sometimes I think back to that post and wonder...hmm.

So, unless a completely new watch is born, or you put a ceramic bezel on something that was metal, there doesn't seem to be a lot of options there for Basel. Which is good for me and my bank account.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:21 PM   #16
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
You are right. And I'd ask everyone that wanted more dramatic changes, what would Rolex release other years if they revised everything at once?

I for one don't want Rolex to take the Omega, release a version for everything in every color approach
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:23 PM   #17
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
I agree and putting out the Pepsi on SS, whilst still retaining the WG exclusivity, is a stroke of genius. I'd just like to get hold of one before the end of the decade!
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:25 PM   #18
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Agreed...and would add that (IMO), we are starting to reach the law of diminishing returns with most, if not all of their watches. All of the line has received extensive re-tooling in the last 10 years, a constant surge toward perfection if you will.

I remember a post from JJ several years back where he observed just what exactly is there to be improved on? (or words to that effect) and I think we're at that point across most of the models offered nowadays. Of course, you're always going to have people clamoring for one thing or another, but sometimes I think back to that post and wonder...hmm.

So, unless a completely new watch is born, or you put a ceramic bezel on something that was metal, there doesn't seem to be a lot of options there for Basel. Which is good for me and my bank account.
I vaguely remember that JJ post from before my days of posting years ago. I believe it was just as you say to paraphrase. Essentially, why make change just for change's sake when everything is darned near perfect as is. Is a 72 hour power reserve over a 70 power reserve really going to change your life. How much more accurate do you need your Rolex to be. For what they are and the prices they are sold at (MSRP), it's really tough to truly find fault in the current product.
Old 23 March 2018, 11:31 PM   #19
KeithP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK 126900/SM 300M
Totally agree. If Rolex introduced a bunch of gee wiz new references/ variations every freakin Baselworld, they would be the same as so many other brands chasing attention and plummeting in value as soon as they left the showroom.
Rolex references are so classic they are monoliths. They hold value so well largely because of this.
KeithP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:32 PM   #20
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I tend to agree.

- They're not rocking the boat. This annoys most of us here on TRF since we want new models, but they're protecting the brand.
- They're fixing problems. The skinny bracelet on the DSSD is gone. The SD43 points to future perfection in case design across all models.
- Movements are being upgraded. You'll pay to play, which suits Rolex just fine.
- They're on board with the Big Watch trend. Like it or not, watches are jewelry and a fashion item. 36mm is now a ladies size. The new diamond-crusted 31mm models solidify the smaller end of the range (whereas 26mm used to be ladies size forever.) SD43 and DSSD define the upper end and even the DJ models are growing. (Rolex: please grow the Daytona as well! )

It's all good. We're left crying for a new GMT Coke, but it will come eventually. Expect price to be 30% over MSRP and years of waiting lists when it does!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:39 PM   #21
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Almost everything Rolex does there is a reason (ie short supply, not going vintage route, or in some cases going hinting at vintage) for doing what they are doing.

Yes, I can't deny sometime they do have mis-steps and small errors (ie short Explorer I hands or puny bracelet on DSSD) but the Rolex-loving audience still purchased timepieces even with those perceived imperfections. After years of sales, Rolex does tend to do the right thing and fixes problem only to generate more sales as a "new" model.

There are very smart people/team running Rolex. There's a reason why they are most valuable watch brand in the world. They know what they're doing moreso than any of us

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...le-watch-brand
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:40 PM   #22
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
I tend to agree.

- They're not rocking the boat. This annoys most of us here on TRF since we want new models, but they're protecting the brand.
- They're fixing problems. The skinny bracelet on the DSSD is gone. The SD43 points to future perfection in case design across all models.
- Movements are being upgraded. You'll pay to play, which suits Rolex just fine.
- They're on board with the Big Watch trend. Like it or not, watches are jewelry and a fashion item. 36mm is now a ladies size. The new diamond-crusted 31mm models solidify the smaller end of the range (whereas 26mm used to be ladies size forever.) SD43 and DSSD define the upper end and even the DJ models are growing. (Rolex: please grow the Daytona as well! )

It's all good. We're left crying for a new GMT Coke, but it will come eventually. Expect price to be 30% over MSRP and years of waiting lists when it does!
I think Rolex should keep the Daytona as is, but add a Second Professional Chrono model:

Simply named, the Cosmograph

42mm
Addition of a Date function

I think the above would be a can't miss
Old 23 March 2018, 11:40 PM   #23
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Agreed 100%.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:48 PM   #24
MCOSUB
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Few
cant agree with you on the lack of supply issue helping with exclusivity.

All it is doing is making grey market dealers rich as those that want the new watches have to pay a premium that is usually above msrp just to have the watch they love. I remember buying rolexes before the internet, resellers and grey market dealers and rolex felt just as exclusive then if not more so than it does now.

I continue to hear about sport model shortages in the UK and the same day I will see a BLNR in a local AD here locally. I am not sure why they dont ramp up production and keep their ADs stocked with watches and shrinking the grey dealer's market share.

The thing that has always allowed Rolex watches to hold or increase their value is the fact that they keep raising prices every year or two.

Nothing worse than releasing a product and then having to wait 2 years plus to just get one at MSRP!!

Just my 2 cents
Rolex Deep Blue Deep Sea Dweller 116660
Oris Great Barrier Reef #845/1000
MCOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:51 PM   #25
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smellody View Post
Minimal changes. That which is new looks to sinificant past designs and models.

Why break what has worked for the last near 70 years of sports oyster models?

By offering tribute, they reinforce the past and catalyze interest in the already popular vintage models. Play tribute for a year or two..... reinvent from the past.

Gain exclusivity.... we will keep buying, complaining about supply, and ultimately driving up costs....

Genius. My hats off. Keep up the great work.
I agree with this because it makes sense.

But I also don't because Rolex was innovative when there was less competition for innovation.

Now, it's all prestige and presence. Because objectively, there isn't anything Rolex does better than comparable brands. It's all about the crown.

That USP is harder to maintain because it relies on a want. Not need. Want can fade. Need doesn't.

Rolex needs to be careful and not piss off too many potential owners. But Tudor does allow them to hedge. Hence why Tudor can green light switch models that are gateways to a potential Rolex. (Always lose to yourself, not a competitor).

It'll be an interesting decade to see what happens.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:58 PM   #26
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Slow even baby steps is the way rolex goes. I do really like the new gmt lineup and even that Daytona looks pretty nice - though I would never wear it l, my wife loved it!
Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO
White DaytonaC 116500
Omega Seamaster 50th Anniv Bond OHMSS
Omega Seamaster Bond titanium
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2018, 11:59 PM   #27
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
eh it is a triple.

the daytona c was a home run.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 12:06 AM   #28
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I agree with this because it makes sense.

But I also don't because Rolex was innovative when there was less competition for innovation.

Now, it's all prestige and presence. Because objectively, there isn't anything Rolex does better than comparable brands. It's all about the crown.

That USP is harder to maintain because it relies on a want. Not need. Want can fade. Need doesn't.

Rolex needs to be careful and not piss off too many potential owners. But Tudor does allow them to hedge. Hence why Tudor can green light switch models that are gateways to a potential Rolex. (Always lose to yourself, not a competitor).

It'll be an interesting decade to see what happens.
What about the accuracy of the current watches at + or -2 secs? Rolex did it first and brought a better warranty to market.

1. First bi-color ceramic bezel, bi-color ceramic bezels in general (Omega's are awful)
2. Glidelock
3. The Dive watch in general (Sub, SD, DSSD)
4. Innovative movements that connect via the bezel (Sky D, YM2), also, the
5. Most innovative way to display Annual Calendar
6. Oyster Bracelet (personally find none better)
7. Column wheel Chronograph (Daytona) at reasonable MSRP, that won't be worth 50% of purchase price the min you walk out the door like competitors in same range

I could keep going, but it may just be me.
Old 24 March 2018, 12:10 AM   #29
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I guess some are more easily impressed than others. Bring critical can be helpful. What doesn't help is rallying behind every single thing a company does.

Over the last few years, I've seen so many strange decisions from Rolex that no one would have believed or gotten behind, but the moment they happen, people love it.

That kind of blind hysteria is disturbing.

Ask people before the SD43 what they would have thought about adding a cyclops to a Seadweller. Now everyone seems to love.

People didn't believe there would ever be another SS Pepsi after the WG, but here we are. On a jubilee and it's going to be impossible to get. When exactly did sport models on jubilee suddenly become so popular?

They obviously know what's going on with the market when the average person who may have bought a few watches can't hope to get a Daytona because grays are buying them up by the dozens.

Always a little weird to see that cult like mentality. For any brand.

For those who think this is who Rolex has always been. No it isn't. They were never a brand where you couldn't go to a store and buy a watch. Or expect one in a reasonable time period. This nonsense all started in the last 2 decades. At least then it was just the Daytona people had trouble finding.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 12:12 AM   #30
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Spot on!
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote