The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 March 2018, 08:40 AM   #31
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
I predict once D-Blue owners see the D-Blue Mk2, they will want the Mk2 for its improvements. Looks like a better balanced watch and it now has a more modern movement.
I don’t think so as many own for collectibility and knowing Rolex history well the first will always be the one to own regardless of upgrades. It has had a short run and has been a pretty tight allocation piece since day 1. We shall see but that is my bet for sure.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 08:52 AM   #32
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I took mine out of bank today to wear for the weekend and I am almost ashamed to wear it any longer know that I learned of all of it's faults and shortcomings. It was not long ago I remembered how it was highly sought after and one of hottest Rolex so to find out I was wrong all this time is almost unbearable. I am going to try and build up the courage to set the time and strap it's skinny mistake of a bracelet on my wrist. I will then try not to focus on it's faulty lugs and hope I can deal with it over the next 48 hours. On a positive note it is only a weekend watch for me so I don't have to worry about it's obsolete movement and lack of power reserve! Cheers and HAGWE all, K

Oh yeah and I almost forgot if I can't live with it I will be forced to sell it as I recently learned here that prices are going to "plummet" or take a "deep dive".

Quick update: After minutes on the wrist I realize I can live with all her flaws so all cool here. Life goes on as is.

hilarious and I feel it amazing too that, all of a sudden, a highly pursued watch had so many fatal faults that I never found.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 09:00 AM   #33
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I predict once D-Blue owners see the D-Blue Mk2, they will want the Mk2 for its improvements. Looks like a better balanced watch and it now has a more modern movement.
I won't speak for others. For me I felt very lucky to pick up the original JC two weeks before it was discontinued. I bought it mainly as a collection piece, may wear it at most a few times a year without any plan to sell it. Whatever new technology "improvements" in the new model means nothing to me. It's a huge watch I don't know how many people can wear it as daily. The true 1st version with all the "quirkiness" is exactly what I want.
Old 24 March 2018, 09:04 AM   #34
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
I don’t think so as many own for collectibility and knowing Rolex history well the first will always be the one to own regardless of upgrades. It has had a short run and has been a pretty tight allocation piece since day 1. We shall see but that is my bet for sure.
Yes we shall see.

But don't make the assumption that the original will be a short run.
It's also possible the 126660 D-blue will be even shorter.

Consider this.
If we also assume the current trend of an approximate 7 year life cycle is to continue. Then it's possible the new model may be stopped a little early.

Then again and on reflection, Rolex did always seem to need a bit of variation to choose from in the model line.
That way there's always an aspirational model to go for even if one settles for the Black due to scarcity. Also it gives a choice of almost two very distinct versions.

I'm hoping that Rolex will play around a little with the DSSD and have a bit of fun with it as a model line a little like Omega does with the Speedy.
Wishing, wishing, wishing for the Double Red here.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 09:07 AM   #35
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
hilarious and I feel it amazing too that, all of a sudden, a highly pursued watch had so many fatal faults that I never found.
Fatal, or did you mean catastrophic
lets not get too dramatic now
Old 24 March 2018, 09:07 AM   #36
MCOSUB
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Few
Quote:
Will those with the early version pepsis want to sell them for the new and improved ss Pepsi gmt II released at Basel?

Think not.

If every time Rolex "improved" a watch the desirability and price went to pot, they wouldn't have much of a brand. The best thing about Rolex is their watches stand the test of time.
Rolex Deep Blue Deep Sea Dweller 116660
Oris Great Barrier Reef #845/1000
MCOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 09:12 AM   #37
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can't agree more. Very simple but hard for many to get it.
Old 24 March 2018, 09:15 AM   #38
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Fatal, or did you mean catastrophic
lets not get too dramatic now
to the fate of that version of the watch
You are right , not too dramatic
Old 24 March 2018, 09:18 AM   #39
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

From what I researched and my ad showing me the different catalogue part numbers, the subc is 20mm, SD43 is 22mm, and the deep sea is 21mm, I don't know if they changed it for 2018 DS, maybe just a new case
RolexEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 09:18 AM   #40
MCOSUB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
Can't agree more. Very simple but hard for many to get it.
Is there a sport model that Rolex has made where the later model is more collectible than the original?
Old 24 March 2018, 09:19 AM   #41
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOSUB View Post
Is there a sport model that Rolex has made where the later model is more collectible than the original?
Excellent point
Old 24 March 2018, 09:23 AM   #42
hitman23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think people pay more for the latest 16710 for the SEL and newer movement
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 09:33 AM   #43
MCOSUB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23 View Post
Putting newer movements in watch lines hasn't hurt the collectibility of the original sub, sea dweller and GMT models, have they?

Just because people pay more for the upgraded model doesn't necessarily mean devaluing will occur in the original.
Old 24 March 2018, 09:36 AM   #44
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good question. Can't think of any modern example though.
Old 24 March 2018, 09:39 AM   #45
hitman23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Putting newer movements in watch lines hasn't hurt the collectibility of the original sub, sea dweller and GMT models, have they?

Just because people pay more for the upgraded model doesn't necessarily mean devaluing will occur in the original.
never said devalued, the question was if there was an instance where the updated model become more collectible. I think it all depends on overall numbers and years of production. the 116600 is more collectible than the 16600.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 09:39 AM   #46
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
M and late Z 3186 had very short run was transitional for the reference so yes value higher. If I remember was less than a year or close to it.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 09:40 AM   #47
Rolexsd4000
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Mk1 , TT SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
For the near to intermediate term, the see the "Original" value declining as people want the shiny new toy with latest bells and whistles.

But I see the "Original" being of greater value in the longer term, because one day neither will have the latest bells and whistles, and at that juncture, people always want the first one, the "rookie card" so to speak.

I intend to hold this watch one for a long time. So do I cost myself money now (by swapping to a Mark II) and in the distant future (when Mark I is more valuable), to get the bigger bracelet and updated movement?

Exactly right!
James Cameron wore the black dial DSSD (original ) on his deep dive.
Rolex introduced the D Blue (original) to commemorate JC deep dive .
See where it’s going ? Us WIS will know wider bracelet narrower lugs is not the Original (Rookie) DSSD or JC D Blue .
Collectors will win again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 March 2018, 09:44 AM   #48
MCOSUB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
never said devalued, the question was if there was an instance where the updated model become more collectible. I think it all depends on overall numbers and years of production. the 116600 is more collectible than the 16600.
I was only comparing new models to the original model or Mk1 versions.
Old 24 March 2018, 09:44 AM   #49
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
I welcome the new DSSD with open arms and look forward to trying one on. I’m glad they didn’t discontinue the model completely. The future is bright my friends! The watch has always been a love it or hate it model, and I suspect that is due to not everyone having the wrist to pull it off. Will a 1mm wider bracelet make it fit smaller wrists better? Will 1mm make the watch look better? Will the thinner lugs be a target for complaints? Who knows. But long live the DSSD, This is their most advanced diver (king of the hill) and I’m glad I got an original d-blue before they got discontinued. It is after all the actual commemorative model. I love everything about it and have no complaints! Super comfortable, proven work horse movement, and looks boss on the wrist!
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 09:46 AM   #50
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Yes.
On balance the updates seem compelling.
The only choice will be to change models for the updates or have both.
Yeah. Many will keep the original Mk1 speculating that it could prove to be the more valuable one since it is the original. It will depend on how long of a run the Mk2 will have. That’s something probably Rolex hasn’t even decided. Many people thought the SD43 red would only be sold for a year but this is clearly not the case.

Whatever happens I think both will hold their value well and always be special since it’s really the first and only Rolex tied to a legend. There is the vintage Killy of course but I don’t think it was designed for him like the D-Blue was for Cameron.
Old 24 March 2018, 09:50 AM   #51
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Will those with the early version pepsis want to sell them for the new and improved ss Pepsi gmt II released at Basel?

Think not.

If every time Rolex "improved" a watch the desirability and price went to pot, they wouldn't have much of a brand. The best thing about Rolex is their watches stand the test of time.
I didn’t mean to say the original will tank just that owners of the original will probably be very interested in the second version. Obviously not all but we could maybe expect something similar to what happened with the Datejust and Day Date 2 when they were replaced by the 41 and 40. There are still many who prefer the 2s over the 41 and 40 as well as many who had the former versions and now have the new versions.
Old 24 March 2018, 09:50 AM   #52
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought about that but the 16600 is not an original
Old 24 March 2018, 09:52 AM   #53
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
I welcome the new DSSD with open arms and look forward to trying one on. I’m glad they didn’t discontinue the model completely. The future is bright my friends! The watch has always been a love it or hate it model, and I suspect that is due to not everyone having the wrist to pull it off. Will a 1mm wider bracelet make it fit smaller wrists better? Will 1mm make the watch look better? Will the thinner lugs be a target for complaints? Who knows. But long live the DSSD, This is their most advanced diver (king of the hill) and I’m glad I got an original d-blue before they got discontinued. It is after all the actual commemorative model. I love everything about it and have no complaints! Super comfortable, proven work horse movement, and looks boss on the wrist!
I must say it looks really badass with the full sleeve. Whatever artist did it for you did a great job. Really nice work! I wish I had a wrist to pull it off. I still have yet to try an SD43. Maybe the new version will wear a little bit better on smaller wrists.
Old 24 March 2018, 09:55 AM   #54
oldsalt
"TRF" Member

Watch: ?????
I'm sitting here reading this whilst wearing my "old" DSSD JC... and lovin' it
- maybe I'm just easy to please...

cheers
Old 24 March 2018, 06:46 PM   #55
Rolexsd4000
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Mk1 , TT SD43
Quote:
I must say it looks really badass with the full sleeve. Whatever artist did it for you did a great job. Really nice work! I wish I had a wrist to pull it off. I still have yet to try an SD43. Maybe the new version will wear a little bit better on smaller wrists.

Try on the SD43 and feel how it wears on your wrist . Forget about the look . I have the SD43 too and you can feel the difference the way it wears over time . Some people on this forum had purchased the SD43 and did not like the wearability of the watch ie. too heavy because of the weight and feel . Imagine wider bracelet on the new DSSD? Me ? 7.5 flat wrist so it sits lower and very comfortable .
Just my 2ct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk