The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 December 2021, 09:27 AM   #121
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
We can't say this is a surprise really?

Would I take one, sure I'll love to own a Nautilus...

Everyone is easily able to predict what this is going to be priced at on the re-sale market... well north $1 million US. If not $ 2 million US.

It's just astronomical not only how much these would re-sale for but the thought that majority of the people that will be offered this watch would just buy it knowing that the will easily make a $1 million off it.

Definition of the rich getting richer. Patek should just action each one of these off and have the proceeds (minus the "MSRP" of the watch) go to a charity.

I fail to see why they need to or should offer it to "VIP" clients. You want the watch enough, go pay the market value of it in the auction and the "flip" goes to a proper charity benefiting people that need it.

I find Patek knowing this fact and not creating a proper statement is more outrageous than the watch itself.

I think Tiffany does a good job in allocating watches to real collectors. Hence the dearth of desirable T-stamped watches on the aftermarket. They aren’t perfect, but on a relative basis, I think they do a solid job.

Case in point is the 5522. I haven’t really seen any Tiffany retailed (they didn’t stamp) watches hitting the aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 09:49 AM   #122
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
I was thinking modern PP is more appropriate for Richemont ownership. LVMH is a bit more upscale.
Hysterical!
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 09:51 AM   #123
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
I was thinking modern PP is more appropriate for Richemont ownership. LVMH is a bit more upscale.
Well done.

I owe you a drink if we ever are in the same locale.

GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 09:52 AM   #124
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Yawn
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 09:56 AM   #125
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

And the question is, why does anyone care about this? Although I have enjoyed reading all the anguished posts, here.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 10:04 AM   #126
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
I'm not commenting on why they did it or who is it actually going to get it. It's all pretty obvious.

The green Nautilus is pretty obvious example of higher production version of this "special" edition. More than a few will be slipping through the cracks into the public market while some others will quietly get sold in the private market. Greed is pretty evident and 100% many are going to capitalize on this and make more than a few bucks to pad their bank account.

What I'm saying is knowing that this is surely the case. Why have your so called Tiffany VIPs make the million and pocket it. Auction every allocation off and use the proceeds to a charity (not just that one watch).

... I'm not on the camp to stop flipping, etc. like all those regular production Nautilus watches or even stainless steel Rolex. I could care less and I do believe in the free market; but for a "special" piece like this... even if the watch was meant to be a hype piece, Patek has a way better opportunity demonstrate what their brand is (or could be) about and contribute to a better cause.
got it and valid points indeed but then again PP is a watch company and charity is probably not their biggest concern.
Seems like almost every special edition piece will trade over retail - obviously nothing quite like this one will but can't really get upset about it anymore
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 10:05 AM   #127
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
And the question is, why does anyone care about this? Although I have enjoyed reading all the anguished posts, here.
I like wasting my time reading posts about watches, but agreed sometimes I too get tired of going in circles about certain subjects.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 10:21 AM   #128
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I actually really like it….my wife LOVED it. I have been a Nautilus fan since I liked watches. I’m lucky I got mine before things went crazy and traded out of a few I wish I still had to fund other purchases. I think it’s a timeless design. The Tiffany blue is kind of cool to me. I will never have one but I think I know someone who will get an allocation. I hope he does so I can see it in the flesh. It won’t be flipped…he will wear it.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 10:40 AM   #129
DRS Enabled
Banned

This thing is going to go for a million dollars isn't it
DRS Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 10:41 AM   #130
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS Enabled View Post
Yup.

If the seemingly unlimited (though "limited production" for one year) Green 5711 is listing at $400k on the grey market, then this one will easily list for $1.2M maybe more.

Will anyone pay it?

Sure, there's a sucker or two out there with more money than they know what to do with.

Old 7 December 2021, 10:43 AM   #131
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
I actually really like it….my wife LOVED it. I have been a Nautilus fan since I liked watches. I’m lucky I got mine before things went crazy and traded out of a few I wish I still had to fund other purchases. I think it’s a timeless design. The Tiffany blue is kind of cool to me. I will never have one but I think I know someone who will get an allocation. I hope he does so I can see it in the flesh. It won’t be flipped…he will wear it.
Imagine if the release was a his/hers 5711/7118 Tiffany Blue dial!! 170 each with a special commemorative box!! Then will have lots of ppl wearing a ladies watch just because…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D9C15D21-38DF-4E37-9B21-7B139630E3AC.jpeg (266.5 KB, 542 views)
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 10:44 AM   #132
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I like it, and not sure why the anger to be honest, for such a small run.

Oh, and Thierry did not say the green 5711 would be the end. He hinted quite the opposite in fact in a Hodinkee interview:

Hodinkee: Why the last victory lap for the 5711 with a green dial?

Thierry Stern: Well, for me, it was more of a way to say thank you to all of you who have been supporting us with the Nautilus. It was my duty to do it. I wanted to do something nice. But it’s not the end of the Nautilus, it’s just the end of the 5711.

I didn’t say it was the last round, by the way.

There is another bomb coming out...maybe.

Believe me, you will remember the maybe.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 10:47 AM   #133
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
The hate is because people like to take serious people at their word when they say "This is it. It is over."
Joke's on us.
Ladies and gentlemen, modern PP at their very best. Call it 'Peak Patek'. So yes, now is the time to sell out to Richemont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Because the 'value' of PP is now quite clear. Hey, not like we didn't know, yet now their worst nightmare has come true. The true face of modern Patek.

Enjoy

PS: Just be happy PP got the year right on this one. PHEW, because if PP waited a few weeks later on this rollout and...

PPS: Kid Stern is soooo trolling you guys. This is the last 5711, really. Pinky swear this time. LOL!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 11:23 AM   #134
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
Imagine if the release was a his/hers 5711/7118 Tiffany Blue dial!! 170 each with a special commemorative box!! Then will have lots of ppl wearing a ladies watch just because…
This would actually make a lot of sense. I'm surprised they didn't do this.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 12:05 PM   #135
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
2 brand logos on the one dial, damn!
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 12:28 PM   #136
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Yes good luck to all.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 12:30 PM   #137
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshake View Post
I'm picking allocation up next week
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmichNJ View Post
I like it. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good luck and hope you get it! Post it when it comes
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 01:30 PM   #138
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
To be fair, this isn’t really a Patek launch, it’s a Tiffany launch. The piece doesn’t feature on Patek website, just like all the other collaboration pieces - of which there are numerous examples over the years.

I like the piece, can live with the back, don’t qualify.

As seems the be the usual position these days, lots of people throwing their toys out of the pram.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoMalik View Post
I think it might be done already.

Patek does not create “170th anniversary” models. Its usually 175, 200 etc. Also, while Tiffany stamp on the dial is a tradition, the LVMH logo on the caseback is a surprise. They dont just print a conglomerate logo on their casebacks.

This to me feels like an unofficial release to celebrate LVMHs purchase of Patek. Remember, Bernard Arnault tried to buy Patek twice before, in 2014 and 2018. Maybe Sterns finally decided to exit at the hight of the watch market.

I expect the details to be released soon.

Edit: Add the fact that the release was not done via traditional watch media like Hodinkee or Monochrome, but via business media like CNBC and NY Times. This is a foreshadowing of the bigger corporate deal to be announced soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed that this is more a release for Tiffany than it is for Patek. They’re probably getting a ton of money from Tiffany to do it, and it doesn’t hurt Patek’s P&L either. They have hype beasts like this one, but Patek also makes great watches. Nothing wrong with that.

As far as selling to LVMH, interesting point but I don’t see it happening. When you have as much money as TS, what is more money going to do for you? Nothing. It’s 3 generations of Stern’s that have been running Patek. He’s not going to be the chump who sells it.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 01:32 PM   #139
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

No disrespect, but do you honestly think this is a Tiffany release vs. a Patek release?

Why would Patek ever let someone else "release" one of their watches.

It's strictly a Patek release. They're doing it to stay close to LVMH.
Old 7 December 2021, 01:37 PM   #140
44x16
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT/74speedy
What do you think the first one will sell for ? i am really interested to see market prices for these in the next couple of months.
44x16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 01:42 PM   #141
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44x16 View Post
What do you think the first one will sell for ? i am really interested to see market prices for these in the next couple of months.
Well, pricing is going to be fake and made up anyway.

Here's what'll happen:

1) Some enterprising grey market dealers will post up some listings on Chrono24 to put out some feelers at very high prices (maybe it'll start at $900k).

2) The aforementioned auction will happen, the bidders will think the market price is around where the handful of greys in step #1 above set the floor at. The auction will complete at or above that valuation.

3) Everyone will say "Well, the auction matched up a buyer to a seller, so clearly that's how free/open/efficient markets work, and thus this is the price! Whatever someone is willing to pay is the price!"

4) People from step #3 will die on their sword swearing that this is how it works, failing to realize that this isn't an efficient liquid market, so it's irrelevant.

5) Everyone else, including the very reputable grey dealers who don't participate in step #1 will latch onto that pricing.

And voi la! This is how you artificially inflate valuations and continue to perpetuate the horrible state we're in (i.e., "watches are investments").

Old 7 December 2021, 01:46 PM   #142
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
No disrespect, but do you honestly think this is a Tiffany release vs. a Patek release?

Why would Patek ever let someone else "release" one of their watches.

It's strictly a Patek release. They're doing it to stay close to LVMH.
Tomato -tomatoh?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 01:54 PM   #143
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Tomato -tomatoh?
Not really. I mean, in this case, it actually matters how it's pronounced.
Old 7 December 2021, 03:33 PM   #144
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS Enabled View Post
More
Old 7 December 2021, 03:43 PM   #145
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

This is so fug… hahah ridiculous
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 03:58 PM   #146
Neom
Banned

I really don't like it - too feminine to my taste.

I also couldn't care less what Patek is doing with the Nautilus as they still produce amazing watches.
Neom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 05:00 PM   #147
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
The only attraction is they are only making 170 of them. The colour, well it looks like baby spew for Patek.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 06:14 PM   #148
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

So much negativity in this thread – but I suppose that’s to be expected when Patek does anything remotely controversial. At the end of the day, it’s 170 pieces for highly valued Tiffany clients, which means it won’t exactly be prevalent; I think it’s pointless to let it dampen our enjoyment of our Pateks. Remember the Black Panther release from AP? AP easily brushed aside the backlash stemming from that release, as will Patek from this one. If anything, it’ll make Patek even more desirable.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 06:58 PM   #149
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Patek Phillipe: We do not want to be a one watch brand, so we are going to discontinue the 5711.

Also Patek Phillipe: Lets make a green dial, a green dial with diamonds, AND a Tiffany blue 5711 to make the watch even more talked about and dominant in our line up...
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 07:38 PM   #150
scurfa
"TRF" Member

You don’t actually own a watch company you just look after for the next generation, or you could just flip it for a ton of money!