The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 May 2023, 11:06 AM   #1
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5212a
Consolidation advice

Hi All,

Looking for advice from fellow novice and seasoned collectors. I am kicking the tires about buying an Aquanaut (5167 or 5164) or Nautilus (5711, 5712, 5980, 5726). Of these, I lean towards the 5164 or 5726.

Of course, this would have to be grey market. My purchase history is limited to a 6119r Calatrava. I have a 5212 on my wish list (in addition to the 5164 which is likely unrealistic).

I have honed my collection to multiple watches that I wear regularly and enjoy, but the Rolex heavy nature feels a bit monotonous at times. I am hoping for an 15510 APRO this year through the AD and have a somewhat realistic chance of getting one.

Here’s the collection:
Explorer 214270 (39mm case)*
Patek Calatrava 6119r*
Submariner “Hulk” 116610*
Omega Seamaster white dial*

GMT Master II “Pepsi” 126710BLRO (have both bracelets)
Rolex Daytona 116519 (silver dial and black sundials on OF)
Yachtmaster 42 with white gold 226659
Explorer II “Polar” 226570
Vacheron Constantine Overseas 4500V black dial

The first four watches hold sentimental value and I wouldn’t part with those.

The question is this: For those of you who own one or more of the Aquanaut or Nautilus models previously mentioned, would you forgo/trade/sell/consolidate the second group of watches into something a bit more special. Has anyone done something similar. If so, any regrets? Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FF881EB7-E6E7-4481-ACF7-0EC89772A7AF.jpeg (135.7 KB, 978 views)
Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (126710BLRO), Rolex Daytona (116519), Rolex Explorer (214270), Rolex SkyDweller mint green (336934), Rolex Submariner (124060), Rolex Submariner “Hulk” (116610LV), Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Patek Philippe Calatrava (6119r), Patek Philippe Weekly Calendar (5212a), Vacheron Constantine Overseas Black (4500V)
Aboutderntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 11:23 AM   #2
cantdrive55
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hmmm…
I would definitely think about consolidating some of your Rolex options into a 5164A or 5726A. The 5164A is for me a complication I use frequently, as compared to the annual calendar on the 5726A, but strictly personal preference.

Given you've already purchased a 6119R (Congratulations - VERY cool watch!), I also wouldn't be shy about asking your AD about the timeframe for getting you a 5164 or 5726.
cantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 12:48 PM   #3
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrive55 View Post
Given you've already purchased a 6119R (Congratulations - VERY cool watch!), I also wouldn't be shy about asking your AD about the timeframe for getting you a 5164 or 5726.
OP, this is a good point, since you do have a preexisting relationship. If you don’t ask, then you don’t get. Not sure which 5726 you have in mind, but if it’s the new blue dial then I expect that needs a much stronger history. Personally, I love each 5726 version for a different reason.
I’m rooting for you
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 11:17 PM   #4
G&TMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726/1A blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
OP, this is a good point, since you do have a preexisting relationship. If you don’t ask, then you don’t get. Not sure which 5726 you have in mind, but if it’s the new blue dial then I expect that needs a much stronger history. Personally, I love each 5726 version for a different reason.
I’m rooting for you
Strong agree here. Assuming the 6119 came from the AD, depending on how they are, going for another Patek like a 5205, 5396, 5524, or another complication which you would want to own anyway, would be what I'd do while expressing my desire for one of the previously mentioned pieces.

For consolidation, I'd most likely ditch one of the Oysterflex Rolexes and one of the GMT complications, especially if you receive the Aquanaut.

Best of luck!
G&TMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 11:20 PM   #5
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Before the watch bubble hype, I had the opportunity to get the same Rolex OF you have or the Aqua. I thought the gold Rolex was a better 'value'. Missed out on the appreciation, but now having both 67 and the 116519, overall enjoy the 519LN more. Of your bottom four, I would not have any hesitation parting with all of them to roll into a 67 or 64.

Personally between the two, I like the 67 better, thinner. 64 is nice visually, very functional, but doesn't feel as balanced on the wrist IMHO as the 67. No wrong choices in any of your selections. Can't go wrong. Congrats in advance!

Edit: Also FWIW, over the last 15 years of watch collecting, I have not changed my opinion on the 5711. Didn't like it 10 years ago, still don't like it now even though others say I should. I have changed my opinion on the Aqua. Didn't like it back then, but do like it now. Probably the strap style change being flush against the case and a slightly more metallic dial swung me over the line.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 12:45 AM   #6
HMHM
"TRF" Member

If you are going to consolidate, then I would suggest trading the OF YM42 and the VCO for a Nautilus then. The 519 and the Aquanaut are almost equal in wearability I don’t see the point of topping up extra cash or watches for the Aquanaut.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 12:58 AM   #7
Borossd
"TRF" Member

Go for the 5990 :)
Borossd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 01:03 AM   #8
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Yes. 5164 is one of my favorites and would have no hesitations trading some of those in that grouping to get you into one. Travel time is not only useful but very easy to use on the 5164, it wears so comfortable with the rubber strap (better than your Daytona in my opinion and I have a 116515ln), very versatile and just an all around great piece. One of my keepers for sure. I have a 5711 and 5712 as well but still, for me, the 5164 remains my favorite of those 3 with the 5712 just behind it.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 06:32 AM   #9
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the comments and responses. Great advice here. I’ve mentioned a couple of the above watches as an interest, but could be more direct. Anyone think it is advisable to be upfront that I will be purchasing one on the grey market within the next couple of years, unless my authorized dealer thinks it possible I could get one through him? Of course, I’d be careful how it is phrased.
Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (126710BLRO), Rolex Daytona (116519), Rolex Explorer (214270), Rolex SkyDweller mint green (336934), Rolex Submariner (124060), Rolex Submariner “Hulk” (116610LV), Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Patek Philippe Calatrava (6119r), Patek Philippe Weekly Calendar (5212a), Vacheron Constantine Overseas Black (4500V)
Old 11 May 2023, 06:42 AM   #10
Chief Chininki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5712/1a
I have both the '64 and the '26, between the two I find the '26 feels more special (and therefore does not get much wrist time as I seem to only wear for special occasions). I think this would change if I didn't have the 5712, which takes the brunt of daily wear.

The '64 is a better everyday watch than the '26. However I also have the white gold space panda on OF, which seems to fill the duties of a rubber band watch. So the '64 does not see the light of day too often.

As for consolidating, I traded two steel daytonas (one ceramic, and one steel bezel) for the '64. I then missed the Daytonas' and moved into the precious metal versions, lol!. . .

"Collecting" entails parting with old pieces and jumping into new, its what keeps the hobby fun.

Good luck
Chief Chininki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 10:49 AM   #11
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
TBH your collection is great and you have great taste. I’d keep the GMT and Daytona and sell the rest of the Rolex (I know you like the Explorer, but definitely the Explorer 2).
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 01:35 PM   #12
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Very nice collection. I think we have similar taste as we have a few overlapping watches ( I have 8 watches which include GMT BLNR, Rolex explorer I 36mm, and Patek 6119r) I also have a PM Daytona on Oysterflex or the 5164a on my next list.

So based on what you said you want to keep, my opinion:

GMT - while this is a really hard one to let go, given you’re going to keep the hulk and you want the 5164 I would consider this one. The hulk and gmt are very similar, and you’ll have a killer gmt to wear if you get the 5164. The caveat is that you also have this on jubilee which is a really nice bracelet and you don’t have another watch in your collection with it.

Rolex Daytona 116519 - you have to keep this one. It’s iconic, it’s beautiful, it’s an amazing piece. There’s not much to say, this one is a keeper to me. It will have a very different wrist presence than the 5164 though both are on rubber, granted since this one is in white gold it might not feel as different but the heft of a gold piece and the Daytona is just very different than the 5164.

Yachtmaster 42 - I’d lose this one. It’s on OF, and too much overlap with the Daytona and 5164, plus it has similarities to the hulk that you want to keep. Also the collection is to Rolex heavy. This is the one to get rid of.

Explorer II “Polar” - this one is a toss up. Same argument on Rolex heavy, but it is a pretty difference piece than the rest. If you keep the GMT BLRO, I’d get rid of this one. If you don’t, then this one is worth keeping.

Vacheron Constantine Overseas 4500V black dial - mixed about this one. Integrated bracelet, it’s a Vacheron, definitely the most iconic Vacheron watch. It’s different enough. The question would mainly be how often you pick this one up to wear. If not enough, then would lose it. If you pick it quite a bit, it’s a nice one that can mix between very dressy and sports. The explorer I is similar in that nature, I wouldn’t say any of your other pieces have the versatility of sports and classy the way this one does.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2023, 09:59 PM   #13
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I did this maybe four years ago and I don’t regret it at all. Sure I look back and say I liked one of the old ones and maybe momentarily feel that I should have kept some but I’ve gone from 8 (Omega, Breitling, Panerai, etc) to now 4 (5167R, 5712, 26022/25960, and 26420). Each watch gets more wrist time and feels more special since there are less watches in the rotation.

I did mine in two phases. Sold the easiest ones to part with first and bought the Aquanaut. After awhile when I knew consolidation was right for me I sold the other half to be ready for the next call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2023, 04:31 AM   #14
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
Just keep them all and buy more.
Old 12 May 2023, 04:52 AM   #15
APhound
"TRF" Member

Consolidation advice

Keep the yachtmaster and Pepsi or hulk (whichever you prefer) sell the rest of the Rolex. Get the Patek and get the Audemars.

Just buy the watches you want grey. If they ever show up at the ad down the road, sell the ones you bought grey..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 09:07 AM   #16
LaLaLife
"TRF" Member

I find aquanauts super comfortable and wearable day to day. I wear my 5168g 2-3 days per week and frequently when traveling, and it's about the same size as a 5164, although slightly thinner — would absolutely flip a handful of rolexes for it.
LaLaLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 04:10 PM   #17
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Yachtmaster, VC and GMT would go 100% for me.

I know the hulk has sentimental value but that's the first one i'd let go to be honest, then the three i mentioned above.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 05:16 PM   #18
Justindo
"TRF" Member

You have a nice collection. Personally, I'd get rid of the Yachtmaster in a heartbeat, as it adds nothing to your collection. I don't like the Daytona Oysterflex, because rubber straps on precious metal watches makes no sense to me, but it's your only chronograph, so that makes the decision tougher. The Vacheron offers brand diversity and is quite nice, but I don't love it, but I also don't love the Nautilus or Aquanaut either. If you wanted to cut another, I guess I'd get rid of the Explorer II, although I'd personally keep it and get rid of the Seamaster white dial, although you say it has sentimental value. Keep the others and please put the Pepsi on the Jubilee.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 01:39 AM   #19
joa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
Personally, I'd get rid of the Yachtmaster in a heartbeat, as it adds nothing to your collection.
objection your honor, objeeeection!:) i think that YM looks actually great, it looks so different to usual YM in yellow gold, etc.
Old 23 May 2023, 07:17 AM   #20
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
You have a nice collection. Personally, I'd get rid of the Yachtmaster in a heartbeat, as it adds nothing to your collection. I don't like the Daytona Oysterflex, because rubber straps on precious metal watches makes no sense to me, but it's your only chronograph, so that makes the decision tougher. The Vacheron offers brand diversity and is quite nice, but I don't love it, but I also don't love the Nautilus or Aquanaut either. If you wanted to cut another, I guess I'd get rid of the Explorer II, although I'd personally keep it and get rid of the Seamaster white dial, although you say it has sentimental value. Keep the others and please put the Pepsi on the Jubilee.
Haha! I actually just put the Pepsi back on Jubilee. Now that I have both bracelets, I agree with your assessment!

I think I’m struggling because I’ve been used to making moves to hone into the “perfect” collection that matches my evolving tastes. It has become quite Rolex heavy although I really do wear all of these watches. I have the desire to gain some diversity in brand or complication while staying primarily in a sport model since that is what I pull most often. I appreciate all the helpful recommendations!