The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 May 2023, 02:46 AM   #1
Brazen331
"TRF" Member

JLC Polaris advice

I知 thinking of making a Polaris date my next purchase and I have some questions. On the website, why do the green and blue dials sell for more than the black dial? I see that the green dial is boutique only so that makes sense but are blue dials more highly regarded with this brand?

Also regarding the black dial, the older version with the closed back is selling for for less in new condition than the new one with the display 906867J. Are there any other differences between these than the display back? Did JLC make any upgrades to the newer versions ending in J?

As far as the blue dial, is the limited edition with the closed back worth pursuing or is the blue dial on the website now with the display just as good or even better from a technical standpoint. I知 not that sure 800 units is all that limited anyway.
Brazen331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 03:46 AM   #2
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
This might not help you much, just limited experience. My husband wanted a Polaris in the worst way. We visited the JLC boutique in New York recently where he handled new ones you mention above with straps and bracelets. The blue is very nice. The green is nice, just not sure if green green will stand the test of time fashion wise. No “price adjustment “ available on that highly depreciating brand.

The lack of screw down crowns was a negative, it’s a dive watch. The sales women advised to not be “to active” while swimming with it. The bezel crown was too easy to spin. The sales woman admitted that people bring the watches in to have them adjusted and would be happy to have it done to his crown if he purchased the watch. Red flag to him. All in all the build quality is not there like it is on the Reverso’s.
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 04:44 AM   #3
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
It's a fine enough watch, but don't pay retail for a Polaris. JLC's are typically bought by serious afficionados who have a large enough collection that they are worn in moderation and well taken care of. Unless you have a hard rule regarding pre owned pieces, I'd look there first. Although a black dial, Patrick @ OCWATCHGUY has one for sell right now.

I actually think compressor style watches are really cool. I owned a Longines Heritage Diver for a while and thought it was a beautiful watch.
Guppydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 05:36 AM   #4
Brazen331
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
This might not help you much, just limited experience. My husband wanted a Polaris in the worst way. We visited the JLC boutique in New York recently where he handled new ones you mention above with straps and bracelets. The blue is very nice. The green is nice, just not sure if green green will stand the test of time fashion wise. No “price adjustment “ available on that highly depreciating brand.

The lack of screw down crowns was a negative, it’s a dive watch. The sales women advised to not be “to active” while swimming with it. The bezel crown was too easy to spin. The sales woman admitted that people bring the watches in to have them adjusted and would be happy to have it done to his crown if he purchased the watch. Red flag to him. All in all the build quality is not there like it is on the Reverso’s.
Great info. Do you remember if your husband looked at the Marine? I do think that one is 300m. I guess that one only comes with a blue dial. I do like the Green Dial as well and I guess you have to pay full retail for that one. I’d love to see how the green dial looks on a bracelet or orange strap.
Old 30 May 2023, 07:28 PM   #5
ericl
"TRF" Member

Perpetual calendar for the win

If your budget allows, look into the Polaris perpetual calendar. I recently purchased one and it wears amazingly comfortable. A wonderfully unique piece and can be dressed up or down depending on the rubber strap or metal bracelet (quick change system ). Go to an AD and get a discount though. To pay the boutique msrp is silly especially for non boutique models. I was able to secure a 25 percent discount to alleviate any worry about losing a fortune the second I left the store. Will it appreciate? No. Do I care? With a watch as special as this - not a chance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2108.jpeg (138.7 KB, 277 views)
ericl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 09:16 PM   #6
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
The Polaris Mariner Memovox caught my attention as I have wanted a mechanical alarm watch for some time. Haven’t handled one yet.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2023, 01:47 AM   #7
Brazen331
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericl View Post
If your budget allows, look into the Polaris perpetual calendar. I recently purchased one and it wears amazingly comfortable. A wonderfully unique piece and can be dressed up or down depending on the rubber strap or metal bracelet (quick change system ). Go to an AD and get a discount though. To pay the boutique msrp is silly especially for non boutique models. I was able to secure a 25 percent discount to alleviate any worry about losing a fortune the second I left the store. Will it appreciate? No. Do I care? With a watch as special as this - not a chance!
That is a healthy discount. I知 guessing 25% at an AD would be for more expensive pieces? I知 seeing the 3-hand automatic Polaris at a 20% discount on the grey market.
Old 31 May 2023, 01:49 AM   #8
Brazen331
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
The Polaris Mariner Memovox caught my attention as I have wanted a mechanical alarm watch for some time. Haven稚 handled one yet.
I知 looking at this as well. I really don稚 need the alarm complication though, especially if it makes the case thicker.
Old 31 May 2023, 09:18 AM   #9
ericl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen331 View Post
That is a healthy discount. I知 guessing 25% at an AD would be for more expensive pieces? I知 seeing the 3-hand automatic Polaris at a 20% discount on the grey market.
I would venture grey market guys are buying at 25-30 off and giving you 20. Find a nice independent AD , visit in person and negotiate away. IMHO, Don稚 bother with phone because no one is taking you seriously on the phone asking for a discount. Because you値l just call the next guy and ask the same thing. Much more difficult to tell someone in person no discount! The thickness of the PC is fantastic as well. I wear a bunch of bigger watches (AP ROO annd diver, Blancpain ff quaintieme, skydweller ) and this wears simply terrific and easy. I get it. I知 a fan of the PC!
ericl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2023, 09:18 PM   #10
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen331 View Post
I知 looking at this as well. I really don稚 need the alarm complication though, especially if it makes the case thicker.
1.7mm thicker and a 90% jump in price. I could see myself using the complication at work.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2023, 03:31 AM   #11
Brazen331
"TRF" Member

So I went to an AD who had an Explorer40 on display and I was able to compare it side by side with the Polaris Automatic base model, similar type watches. The Polaris struck me as a step above in quality, dial, bracelet, finish, etc., but I haven’t gotten too deep in the technical details about the movement and whatnot, so perhaps I am wrong?

But it made me wonder if JLC made a mistake by putting an internal bezel on the 10 bar WR watch? If they presented it more like Rolex does the Explorer, as more of a land than a dive watch, would it appeal to more people?