The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 November 2023, 02:35 AM   #1
Ave7is
"TRF" Member

Cartier Tank XL vs JLC Reverso

Is there a JLC Reverso that is similar in size to Tank XL but slightly smaller? Feel like Tank XL was maybe a little large for my taste, but the Large size was too small.
Ave7is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 06:52 AM   #2
break
"TRF" Member

The modern Tank Must XL is 31x41mm. The largest modern Reversos have a "lug-to-lug" or longer dimension exceeding that, approaching 45mm.

The modern "medium" Reverso monoface is 24x40mm. The "medium" duoface is 25x43mm.

You could also look into a 1990s Reverso Duoface, which sizes around 26x42mm.
break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 07:05 AM   #3
Ave7is
"TRF" Member

Thank you for those measurements, very helpful. I believe it was Teddy Baldassare in one of his YouTube videos who mentioned the Reverso Uniface at 46mm lug to lug wears like a 38mm round watch. Which should work for me. But I'll have to go in and try them soon because those medium models you mentioned also seem like they might work. I wish someone had a side by side with Tank XL.
Old 28 November 2023, 07:13 AM   #4
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave7is View Post
Is there a JLC Reverso that is similar in size to Tank XL but slightly smaller? Feel like Tank XL was maybe a little large for my taste, but the Large size was too small.
I agreed with your assessment but after trying on the Tank XL, and eventually purchasing it...I think the size is not that large on my 7& 1/4 " wrists.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2023, 07:31 AM   #5
Ave7is
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
I agreed with your assessment but after trying on the Tank XL, and eventually purchasing it...I think the size is not that large on my 7& 1/4 " wrists.
Wow congrats! Is there a way you can maybe guesstimate and compare it to a round watch as far as how large it wears. If it's more like a 38-39 or more like a 41-42?

Thank you.
Old 28 November 2023, 07:59 PM   #6
StanCho
"TRF" Member

This is how Reverso Tribute Monoface wears on my 6.4" flat wrist. The dimensions are 45.6mm x 27.4mm x 8.5mm. And the lug to lug is really as stated, 45.6mm.

You need to try them out, regardless of the size on paper.

StanCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 12:09 AM   #7
jed11
"TRF" Member

Again, if at all possible, the best way is to really try them on. Especially with square watches, dimensions and measurements are quite tricky and pics on line are often misleading.
As many have said, and likely you already know this, I firmly believe that wrist measurements are only a part of the equation when determining whether a watch ‘fits’. And at the end of the day, you wear what you like!

Side note, I too am close (again, haha) to adding a reverso to the collection. With Reversos, I think the thickness also plays a part on the wearability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 07:34 AM   #8
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
You definitely need to try them on in person. Square and rectangular watches often wear larger than their measurements suggest. They don't fit a wrist the same way as a round watch does. I usually wear 40mm Rolex watches, but my square VC Historiques Carree and Tank XL fill my wrist area even with their somewhat smaller dimensions.

Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 12:02 PM   #9
Ave7is
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
You definitely need to try them on in person. Square and rectangular watches often wear larger than their measurements suggest. They don't fit a wrist the same way as a round watch does. I usually wear 40mm Rolex watches, but my square VC Historiques Carree and Tank XL fill my wrist area even with their somewhat smaller dimensions.

Wow I love those pieces. Would you say your XL tank wears similar to your 40 rolex or larger? I tried one on yesterday but still cant determine of too big for me lol.
Old 30 November 2023, 01:42 AM   #10
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow I love those pieces. Would you say your XL tank wears similar to your 40 rolex or larger? I tried one on yesterday but still cant determine of too big for me lol.
Thanks! It looks similar in terms of wrist surface that it covers, although the Tank is narrower than a 40mm sub. The Tank fits differently because the case back is completely flat and has no curvature. So whether it fits comfortably and looks correct on someone's wrist can have to do with the bone structure of the wrist and/or how thin or thick someone's wrist is.

Something to keep in mind, my Tank Louis XL was produced from around 2006 to 2008 and it is slightly smaller than the current Tank Must XL. My watch is approximately 39m x 30mm. The Tank Must XL is 41 x 31 mm.
Old 30 November 2023, 02:44 AM   #11
Ave7is
"TRF" Member

Oh wow those are perfect proportions for me. I wish I could find one. I wonder what they price at now and how hard it would be to find. Are you looking to sell lol?
Old 30 November 2023, 03:58 AM   #12
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh wow those are perfect proportions for me. I wish I could find one. I wonder what they price at now and how hard it would be to find. Are you looking to sell lol?
Production was quite limited, 200 in rose gold, and 50 in platinum. I think the last time I heard of one coming up for sale, it was around $39K for one in Platinum. Sorry, no, mine isn't for sale...a few of my friends have said if I ever decide to sell they want it

Aside from the beautiful guilloche dial, and the case size, one of the reasons these rarely come up for sale and are highly sought after is the movement. Many square or rectangular watches use small round movements because round movements can be used in any shape of watch case. This watch used a rectangular movement. Around the time this watch was for sale, the only other companies using a rectangular movement was Lange (in a watch that cost about 3 times the price of the Cartier, and Patek in a tourbillon that was close to $100K.

Wishing you lots of luck if you decide to search for a CPCP Tank Louis Cartier XL. Cheers!
Old 30 November 2023, 04:53 AM   #13
Ave7is
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
Production was quite limited, 200 in rose gold, and 50 in platinum. I think the last time I heard of one coming up for sale, it was around $39K for one in Platinum. Sorry, no, mine isn't for sale...a few of my friends have said if I ever decide to sell they want it

Aside from the beautiful guilloche dial, and the case size, one of the reasons these rarely come up for sale and are highly sought after is the movement. Many square or rectangular watches use small round movements because round movements can be used in any shape of watch case. This watch used a rectangular movement. Around the time this watch was for sale, the only other companies using a rectangular movement was Lange (in a watch that cost about 3 times the price of the Cartier, and Patek in a tourbillon that was close to $100K.

Wishing you lots of luck if you decide to search for a CPCP Tank Louis Cartier XL. Cheers!
I tried to look for some but looks like the Tank Louis XL I find for sale are 35mm width. Not sure if it's easy to find online. Those dimensions of yours are perfect for me, but im discouraged because I dont think I can find one in person to try and online the few ive asked have given me slightly different dimensions.
Old 30 November 2023, 05:44 AM   #14
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I tried to look for some but looks like the Tank Louis XL I find for sale are 35mm width. Not sure if it's easy to find online. Those dimensions of yours are perfect for me, but im discouraged because I dont think I can find one in person to try and online the few ive asked have given me slightly different dimensions.
The watch I have is from their CPCP line(Collection Privee Cartier Paris). It was their higher end collection in production from 1998 to 2008. My watch was only made from about 2006 to 2008. The dimensions are 39 mm x 30. Anything else, is not this watch. There was a NON CPCP -Ultra Thin Tank Louis Cartier XL, that came out after, but it's quite different. It is considerably larger than mine. It doesn't have the rectangular movement, it doesn't have the guilloche dial, it has a solid case back, and it's very wide. It's probably the one you found that is 35mm wide.

Most of the CPCP Tank LC XLs are in the hands of collectors. On rare occasion they come up for auction or sale. Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that one will pop up at a local brick and mortar shop for you to try on in person. Just continue with online searches. If one is available, don't hesitate to buy it. If you decide it isn't for you it should be very easy to sell. Lots of collectors want it. Good luck!