The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 June 2019, 04:48 PM   #1
365DAS
"TRF" Member

Platona - Would you get one if offered?

Hi all,

As the title says, if you had the chance to buy one from an AD then would you?

Normally I wouldn’t ask here but I’m a little unsure with this one. Yes, it’s a gorgeous watch and one I would’ve liked to own when first launched but at the time the grey prices were reasonable and some ADs would offer a healthy enough discount (everyone’s perception of healthy differs! ). I’m not concerned about values going up etc but there are a few around on the Grey market.

I know there doesn’t seem to be many around in AD windows/cases but doesn’t mean to say that they’re not in the safe. In my ADs case I know that they haven’t as they would’ve shown me before.

I’ve got myself down for the YG/Green Dial Daytona which I’m definitely having, no questions...would’ve love to own this too but the “yo-yo” in demand I guess has got me thinking.

Do you think the Platona has recently become harder to get or do you think that it’s a watch that could be easily obtained from AD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
365DAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 05:06 PM   #2
nicon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Does limited availability makes this watch somehow more attractive for you? I don't think any precious metal Rolex is hard to obtain.
nicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 05:24 PM   #3
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

If you buy MSRP at $75k plus 8% state tax, you’ll immediately be at least $15k upside down. I wouldn’t buy new.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 06:03 PM   #4
cajerseyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me find "the one"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
If you buy MSRP at $75k plus 8% state tax, you’ll immediately be at least $15k upside down. I wouldn’t buy new.

If 15k is an issue for the OP then this is not the watch for him.

This is not a rare watch. If you have 75k burning a hole in your pocket you will have one in a handful of weeks. Or in this case right now.

They are not seen often because they are few people on the planet that have the means AND would also like a watch like this. Also - If placed in the AD display case every Joe Schmo will ask to try it on and over time it will get scuffed.

Guess what a person spending 75k on a brand new watch doesn’t want? Yep. Scuffs.

Guess what an AD doesn’t want to do all day? Yep show Joe Schmos a Plat Daytona they will never buy.

You want it? Get it, but I will say that if you are really a buyer with that kind of money then why the hell are you asking for advice on an internet forum? You should have FU money for this watch and the 10 mins it took you to write this post already wasted the 75k because that’s how valuable your time is.

Old 14 June 2019, 07:06 PM   #5
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by 365DAS View Post
Hi all,

Normally I wouldn’t ask here but I’m a little unsure with this one. Yes, it’s a gorgeous watch and one I would’ve liked to own when first launched but at the time the grey prices were reasonable and some ADs would offer a healthy enough discount (everyone’s perception of healthy differs! ). I’m not concerned about values going up etc but there are a few around on the Grey market.

I know there doesn’t seem to be many around in AD windows/cases but doesn’t mean to say that they’re not in the safe. In my ADs case I know that they haven’t as they would’ve shown me before.

I’ve got myself down for the YG/Green Dial Daytona which I’m definitely having, no questions...would’ve love to own this too but the “yo-yo” in demand I guess has got me thinking.

Do you think the Platona has recently become harder to get or do you think that it’s a watch that could be easily obtained from AD?

Only if the AD was offering a discount (even If I could afford to pay retail price)

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 07:16 PM   #6
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
15k isn't an issue?
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 08:22 PM   #7
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
The platona isn't hard to get. At that price point they compete with Patek and ALS. People aren't kicking down the door to own one.

Values aren't going to go up on this watch. You should decide what a healthy discount is and hold your AD to it. Otherwise, go grey for the price you want.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 08:23 PM   #8
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Got offered one for 35k GBP a few years ago. BNIB, from a grey.

Passed. No real regrets, other watches i prefer. Great price back then though.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 08:26 PM   #9
Mick006
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t pay retail on this watch unless you are one of those people that can’t possibly deal with a grey/preowned watch. Even if you are buying a $75k watch, it’s hard to justify flushing $15k.
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 08:34 PM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
if you had the chance to buy one from an AD then would you?
No

For me this is far too much money for a single piece of jewelry with the same movement as the stainless version for far less money.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 08:36 PM   #11
longimanus88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcus View Post
You want it? Get it, but I will say that if you are really a buyer with that kind of money then why the hell are you asking for advice on an internet forum?
This.
No offense, but I still don’t get why people ask strangers if they should buy a watch.
OP, it’s your money and you will wear it in the end, so only you know...
longimanus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 08:38 PM   #12
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcus View Post

This is not a rare watch. If you have 75k burning a hole in your pocket you will have one in a handful of weeks. Or in this case right now.

They are not seen often because they are few people on the planet that have the means AND would also like a watch like this. Also - If placed in the AD display case every Joe Schmo will ask to try it on and over time it will get scuffed.

Guess what a person spending 75k on a brand new watch doesn’t want? Yep. Scuffs.

Guess what an AD doesn’t want to do all day? Yep show Joe Schmos a Plat Daytona they will never buy.

You want it? Get it, but I will say that if you are really a buyer with that kind of money then why the hell are you asking for advice on an internet forum? You should have FU money for this watch and the 10 mins it took you to write this post already wasted the 75k because that’s how valuable your time is.

This! Especially about the part on scuffs. One of my AD’d has one in the case for 3-4 months unsold. I went back and forth deciding if to buy it, and finally decided if I was going to drop that kind of money, it better be perfect and not all scuffed up already out of the gate.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 08:41 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I bought a Platinum Daytona with the diamond dial at the end of last year. Always on my bucket list and enjoyed it for a short period of time and moved on. I like the brown bezel but not enough to leave that kind of money tied up on a watch I am not over the top on. If the bezel would have been black it might still be in the collection. The Daytona's are also a little bit small for my current tastes. I just jumped back in to the Platinum game with a DD II. It seems to fit me better, both size wise and looks wise.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 08:44 PM   #14
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
My AD has one sitting. Not hard to find
Old 14 June 2019, 08:47 PM   #15
johnjm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi all,

What made green dial get into your radar? John Mayor?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 14 June 2019, 08:59 PM   #16
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Rarefied Air OP...going slightly loved (pre owned) is probably the way to go, but it is gorgeous.
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 09:00 PM   #17
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
The Platinum premium on Rolex is quite steep so used to be people wanted a very healthy discount to justify the large initial outlay, now their resale prices are more firm but consequently discounts are much tighter, I still think you can get 10% off in the UK, so hunt around.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 09:39 PM   #18
vinteloz
"TRF" Member

I think there are better options at this price point. Probably wouldn’t buy one myself.

vinteloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 10:51 PM   #19
Vipes
"TRF" Member

My local AD has one sitting in the case for a while now, so not hard to get in the U.S. I wouldn’t buy it even if there was a 10% discount. Great watch but not worth the price for me.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 10:55 PM   #20
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I did.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 11:03 PM   #21
rgwarden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:

I’ve got myself down for the YG/Green Dial Daytona which I’m definitely having, no questions...would’ve love to own this too

The only appropriately forum response to this is ‘just get both’.....
I mean, what’s 100K for if not two PM Rolex watches?

rgwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 01:41 AM   #22
MinMay
Banned

Platona - Would you get one if offered?

Sure I’ll buy two. A collection is not complete without a pm
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 01:48 AM   #23
wulin
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AP,Rolex,IWC
It's not hard to get "offered" a Platona. I passed multiple times because it is just too dam heavy.
wulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 01:50 AM   #24
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
I think a couple of resellers here can get you a new one, fully stickered and with the warranty card in your name for less than MSRP plus tax. That’s the way would go if were going to buy that watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 02:21 AM   #25
cajerseyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me find "the one"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
I think a couple of resellers here can get you a new one, fully stickered and with the warranty card in your name for less than MSRP plus tax. Thar’s the way would go if were going to buy that watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This. I would think you could get one for 15-20% off msrp.

Old 15 June 2019, 03:46 AM   #26
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I have visited plenty of ADs with 2 Platonas on window display and who knows how many more they have in the back. It probably is similar to the Cellini in that most ADs have a hard time selling one. Those who want one will probably leverage the AD to bundle a SS Daytona with it so the AD can unload the Platona.

Once the price of a Rolex watch go over $25k-$30k USD, buyers often cross-shop other "higher end" brands.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 03:50 AM   #27
vicsdca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulin View Post
it's not hard to get "offered" a platona. I passed multiple times because it is just too dam heavy.
+1
vicsdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 04:05 AM   #28
sjuli_123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
+2 - and I have owned one. Never became friend with the weight, although I am used to Rolex gold watches
sjuli_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 04:59 AM   #29
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Remember when you could get it for around $48k new or near new, passed then and passing now. Lovely watch, just not my preference. DD40 Everose with chocolate and ice dial, that's delicious!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 05:20 AM   #30
"TRF" Member

Great watch, not hard to find, my AD has one sitting on display...
997 is offline   Reply With Quote