The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 August 2020, 07:51 PM   #1
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

AP Service Q’s

I’m looking to have an AP serviced. I did some research through forum search, but wanted to confirm the following:

1) If dropped off for service at an AP Boutique (e.g., AP Boutique in Atlanta), will the watch exclusively be serviced at AP Clearwater?

2) I will be electing to do a movement only service (read: no refinishing). Curious to know more about parts/parts replacing at service. I would be servicing an AP RO “Jumbo” (Ref. 15202), and want to keep as many parts original as possible. Anyone know whether there’s any owner discretion on service parts? The AP website states this:

Every component is identified, replaced or repaired depending on its level of wear, its age and the preventive maintenance instructions governing the Manufacture's complete maintenance service. New parts, based on the latest technological advances, are fitted if necessary. The most frequently-used case and movement components are always changed for collection watches: seals, crown, pushpieces, correctors, barrel, chronograph module, central seconds and chronograph hands and chronograph counters. - https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/se...nance-service/

3) Any other AP service tips? I think service on a 15202 is around $1600 USD. Realize price is the price and wait time is the wait time, but want to see if there are any other important considerations with respect to servicing.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 04:28 AM   #2
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
I’m looking to have an AP serviced. I did some research through forum search, but wanted to confirm the following:

1) If dropped off for service at an AP Boutique (e.g., AP Boutique in Atlanta), will the watch exclusively be serviced at AP Clearwater?

2) I will be electing to do a movement only service (read: no refinishing). Curious to know more about parts/parts replacing at service. I would be servicing an AP RO “Jumbo” (Ref. 15202), and want to keep as many parts original as possible. Anyone know whether there’s any owner discretion on service parts? The AP website states this:

Every component is identified, replaced or repaired depending on its level of wear, its age and the preventive maintenance instructions governing the Manufacture's complete maintenance service. New parts, based on the latest technological advances, are fitted if necessary. The most frequently-used case and movement components are always changed for collection watches: seals, crown, pushpieces, correctors, barrel, chronograph module, central seconds and chronograph hands and chronograph counters. - https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/se...nance-service/

3) Any other AP service tips? I think service on a 15202 is around $1600 USD. Realize price is the price and wait time is the wait time, but want to see if there are any other important considerations with respect to servicing.
I just sent a ROC in for service. Unless you have a really good relationship with your local AD, I recommend calling Clearwater directly. This is what I chose to do.

You can call down to Clearwater and speak with one of only about 4 service assistants (so easy to navigate and have ongoing conversations with the same person throughout the process).This way you cut out the AD middleman in the conversation. Easier to control specific requests regarding service.

Also, Clearwater will send you a free shipping kit which is very well designed and easy to pack up and ship. In the kit their is a document that allows you to include what you want and don’t want them to touch. They send back an estimate and you talk it through with one of the assistants for approval.

Other than that...more than likely it will cost more than their basic service cost and they told me 8-10 weeks to complete.
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 05:15 AM   #3
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Appreciate this insight, extremely helpful info for someone like me who is new to AP. Good to know that there is an option (and there are good reasons) to go directly through AP Clearwater. This is especially true for me, where I am not anywhere near an AP Boutique.

For the document that specifies what you’d like or not like AP to do, I assume refinishing the watch/bracelet is one item. Care to share what you specified and reasons why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson13 View Post
I just sent a ROC in for service. Unless you have a really good relationship with your local AD, I recommend calling Clearwater directly. This is what I chose to do.

You can call down to Clearwater and speak with one of only about 4 service assistants (so easy to navigate and have ongoing conversations with the same person throughout the process).This way you cut out the AD middleman in the conversation. Easier to control specific requests regarding service.

Also, Clearwater will send you a free shipping kit which is very well designed and easy to pack up and ship. In the kit their is a document that allows you to include what you want and don’t want them to touch. They send back an estimate and you talk it through with one of the assistants for approval.

Other than that...more than likely it will cost more than their basic service cost and they told me 8-10 weeks to complete.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 06:41 AM   #4
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I always go to Clearwater directly. They make the process really easy. Some boutiques and AD's try to tack on a margin to the service which I was turned off by.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 06:46 AM   #5
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Appreciate this insight, extremely helpful info for someone like me who is new to AP. Good to know that there is an option (and there are good reasons) to go directly through AP Clearwater. This is especially true for me, where I am not anywhere near an AP Boutique.

For the document that specifies what you’d like or not like AP to do, I assume refinishing the watch/bracelet is one item. Care to share what you specified and reasons why?
Yes the paperwork included in their shipping kit gives boxes to check from ‘basic mechanic service’, case polishing, bracelets polishing, archive paper per purchase, etc.

There is also a box to write specific comments not listed. For example, I asked to NOT replace dial, hands, pushers, crown, bezel, bezel screws, without my specific prior approval.

Just know, they are going to recommend replacing many things to make it as ‘new/perfect’ as possible....and they do not really carry older/vintage parts. So if they replace one part, it may lead to them having to replace others. Similar to Rolex service.

They wanted to do a few things I wanted left original and as long as their feel like they can work around your requests, they will complete the service.

This is why I preferred speaking directly with Clearwater instead of telling an AD, who communicated with Clearwater...lists of opportunity for ‘lost in translation’ doing it that way in my mind.

I needed a full service plus additional movement parts (which can be very expensive), bracelet weld at the clasp, and a few other things.

I don’t have it back yet. It will be at least another 6 weeks.
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 06:47 AM   #6
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I always go to Clearwater directly. They make the process really easy. Some boutiques and AD's try to tack on a margin to the service which I was turned off by.
man AP has got to end this. All these shady used car dealer tactics by ADs. WTF. The more I read on this forum the stranger the watch world becomes. You buy a +30k watch and pay good money for the servicing and then you get scammed by the ADs on the service costs?
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote