The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 November 2022, 06:43 PM   #1
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Debt and quality of life.

More of a philosophical question but curious about your views:

Provided you had a decent income and owned some property to begin with, which route would you prefer:

Owning a modest / ordinary place, driving a used car, buying only what you can afford to pay for outright and upgrading / improving things over time, while saving and keeping debt-free?

Or

Enjoy an arguably better living standard, up front, in a fancy home, a new car, new everything but being in debt with a mortgage, monthly installments etc. and whatever long term obligations, commitments and compromises these entail?
Old 30 November 2022, 06:47 PM   #2
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Former 100% unless I knew an inheritance or lotto was on its way.

I’m the path of least resistance.

Perception is 9/10th of reality.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 06:53 PM   #3
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

my partner went to the most expensive areas of Hollywood and that area.
no owners to be seen just loads of mexicans tending everything
owners out working 16 hours a day to pay for the place. Once you realise a big house is a huge burden your life becomes your own. I know several multi millionaires here who lived the dream and bought the nightmare. One sold his house for 3.5m and us currently in the market for a 2-3 bed semi in a nice area.
he once said to me "I'm a prisoner to this place I'm either sorting out shit or sorting out someone else's fook up"
We also downsized from a largish house to a l bed apartment and life hasn't been better

no one cares if you have a bigger house or if they do they are not people worth associating with
good luck
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 07:00 PM   #4
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
At this time in my life, I am at the former, mortgage paid etc, but I have lived hand to mouth for some of my existence. I don't mind either, normal people don't just have a spare couple of hundred K in the bank to buy their own house and car. Before I bought (mortgage) my first house, a friend advised me to get the biggest mortgage I could afford and that it would kill me for the first couple of years but it would be worth it. I didn't take his advice, I wish I had, my eventual "house for life" would have been bigger and better as a result. I don't have any regrets though, it's worked out okay.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 07:06 PM   #5
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

I follow Mr Micawber's principal on cash flow:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery"

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 07:34 PM   #6
330ci
"TRF" Member

I live by option A, option B is living for others.

Eventually I do hope to own a large custom stone and log cabin in the middle of nowhere, my own private little air strip with a piper cub to fly in and out of to get supplies. But I think that's pretty attainable in most peoples lives with a bit of planning.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 07:50 PM   #7
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The only debt I have is my mortgage.
I never finance or borrow money for consumer goods nor for luxury stuff like watches, cars or holidays.
If my savings are not enough I just wait
Old 30 November 2022, 08:12 PM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
The only debt I have is my mortgage.
I never finance or borrow money for consumer goods nor for luxury stuff like watches, cars or holidays.
If my savings are not enough I just wait
This exactly.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 08:26 PM   #9
Star Ferry
Banned

If you are paying so much for shelter and transportation that you can’t afford to order delivery food, take a trip, or pay an emergency expense… that is no fun. It’s how a lot of people live, though. McMansion, luxury car, and Ramen noodles.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 09:03 PM   #10
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I am very anti debt.

My dream as a kid (early 20’s) was to have a very modest place with a yard big enough for my dog.

When I sold my yoga studios, I bought a modest townhouse in cash. It was right behind a Midas tire supply shop. Everyone said, are you crazy, buy a nice home. I said no way, I can’t afford it. They suggested I could afford it with a mortgage, I said I prefer to have something I own outright.

About two years ago I bought a house on the bay at the jersey shore. I was convinced to get a mortgage because crates were so low. I paid 50% and mortgaged the rest at 2.625%. I just sold that home last week.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand using a mortgage. I understand good debt. I get it.

Even good debt, I don’t want it. If I can’t afford it, I don’t buy it. In fact, I just sold a bunch of “stuff”. I don’t want it or need it anymore.

I do believe that stuff starts to own you. I also believe that the more you get, the more you want. Always chasing the rush.

I don’t fault people for living it up. I understand it. You can’t take it with you. And you never know when you are going to go. I think finding a balance is for the best. And everyone has a different set of priorities and therefore a different balance point.

So yeah, no debt for me. No living larger than what’s right in front of me.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 09:12 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I think this really comes down to stage of life for most.

30 years ago I had debt, had to borrow for everything including a mortgage, car etc. we worked hard to pay it all off, and then we downsized into a more modest bungalow.

We cleared off all our debt in our early 40’s and at this stage (mid 50’s), we are focused on sending both kids to university and helping them get established.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with ramping up the debt as long as it’s affordable and you have a plan to pay it off
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 09:14 PM   #12
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I am very anti debt.

My dream as a kid (early 20’s) was to have a very modest place with a yard big enough for my dog.

When I sold my yoga studios, I bought a modest townhouse in cash. It was right behind a Midas tire supply shop. Everyone said, are you crazy, buy a nice home. I said no way, I can’t afford it. They suggested I could afford it with a mortgage, I said I prefer to have something I own outright.

About two years ago I bought a house on the bay at the jersey shore. I was convinced to get a mortgage because crates were so low. I paid 50% and mortgaged the rest at 2.625%. I just sold that home last week.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand using a mortgage. I understand good debt. I get it.

Even good debt, I don’t want it. If I can’t afford it, I don’t buy it. In fact, I just sold a bunch of “stuff”. I don’t want it or need it anymore.

I do believe that stuff starts to own you. I also believe that the more you get, the more you want. Always chasing the rush.

I don’t fault people for living it up. I understand it. You can’t take it with you. And you never know when you are going to go. I think finding a balance is for the best. And everyone has a different set of priorities and therefore a different balance point.

So yeah, no debt for me. No living larger than what’s right in front of me.
Exactly this....I sleep waaaaay better at night
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 10:13 PM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Former.

Of course you could make debt work for you, yet many are not good at mathematics and financial planning in the short, medium, and long term. The good news is that, except for student loans, you can claim bankruptcy and walk away from most debt without much worry.

In 2007/2008 it was called "Jingle Mail' when home debtors stopped paying their mortgage and (proverbially) sent their home's keys back to the bank. In the USA today (2022), the Federal Reserve and their banking partners BlackRock, etc have purchased a lot of real estate in hopes of avoiding their 2007/2008 mistakes / miscalculations.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 10:13 PM   #14
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Former now for sure, latter many years ago. Only debt I have now is student loans and I only carry them because 3% interest and need something on credit report.

Used to be massively in debt trying to keep up with the Joneses and being a general short sighted idiot. Love the feeling of casting off the chains of debt, will never go back.

Nothing wrong with being in debt though, as long it’s paid back. Being in debt is as American as apple pie.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 10:15 PM   #15
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I’m the first guy. Only debt is the mortgage for a modest 4/2 and the mortgage was acquired when I couldn’t afford it out right. Doesn’t make sense to me now to take that cash and pay it off at this point with the market the way it is. I want that cash to dump into as many foreclosures as I can get my hands on when the house of cards falls.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:05 PM   #16
HAPConst
Banned

I have no problem letting the banks fund my lavish lifestyle while my money earns meager interest. With some good financial planning my goal is to kick the bucket with as much debt as possible while protecting the estate. I paid off one mortgage and have another 2 left. I would at a minimum like to leave the real estate to my kids free and clear. Credit cards and other small debt can pound sand.
HAPConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:06 PM   #17
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am somewhere in the middle. I have no issue with debt that is manageable and for an asset that has some return value. My watches, that's how I somewhat justify them even though I don't have any debt associated with them. One of my biggest struggles has always been finding balance. Doing enough to enjoy myself but not so much that it creates a problem either personally or financially. Life was very simple as a younger person with limited to no assets. The path was clear and the goals were on the horizon and hard work and time would take care of them. It did, but the more assets you have and the more options you possess the more complicated it can become. It is also not as much fun when you are financially secure and have a safety net, achieved through hard work, fortune and time. Once again back to balance and even today, more than 40 years into being what I consider an adult it is still there. Just my thoughts. I also enjoy reading my fellow TRF Members thoughts on this. Good topic.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:09 PM   #18
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
First, as many have said, our attitudes change as we get older. Secondly, few 20-somethings can buy a house for cash. You get into your 50s and 60s and it may be more possible. We here tend to be far above average (IMHO) in income and intelligence.

OK, maybe just in income. LOL

j/k

Debt is a tool. Use it wisely.

When my Mom retired, she had a financial advisor that I met with, and I asked him about the logic of her paying off her mortgage, which was from the early 70s and had something like a 2% rate. And she was in the last years of it, so it was mostly principle anyway. He said that it was very common for retirees to want to eliminate debt like that.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:45 PM   #19
dafuture
"TRF" Member

If it's a binary choice, I'd go with the former.

That being said, life isn't so black and white. I'd be more likely to have some mix of the two. Maybe a more modest house with a slightly nicer car (they're a passion of mine). Financially I always lean conservative though.
Old 30 November 2022, 11:48 PM   #20
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks everybody for your input. Some very interesting views shared so far.

Indeed seems to me that one's stage in life would be a deciding factor but then it's also where one wants to be, after all.

I left home right after completing my military service obligations, on a small loan, which helped me take my first steps away from the nest, rent my own place and allowed me ample time searching for employment.
That loan amounted, roughly, to a month's salary from my profession.

I was eventually employed, followed a career, paid off the loan, got married and, at some point, ended up with some significant savings in my mid to late twenties.

So I seriously began considering a place of my own on a mortgage and had some quarter million approved for a house that I liked. I never, ever thought of, or counted on, existing family property. Wasn't mine at the time anyway.

I could comfortably pay for my mortgage on monthly basis and perhaps pay off a good part of it rather soon, as the house's price was less than 180K so not all of the approved amount was needed and still had my savings...

Then, the week just before signing, I lost my dad. Which forced me to reconsider. I canceled the purchase, continued to rent while spending a good chunk of my savings repairing and remodeling the family house as well as other taxes, inherited debts, etc.

Looking back, I somewhat regret not pulling the trigger on that house but that was before the 2010 crisis here and quite frankly, I can't help but feel as if I had actually dodged a bullet.

Because although I never intended paying installments for the next three decades, paying off the mortgage in just a few (4) years, was certainly not on the table.

Ever since, I've landed firmly on the 1st camp / school of thought and try to avoid debt at all costs. Even if I'm missing out on some pleasures this life has to offer.
I find it much more liberating not having to put up with things and situations I do not consciously decide getting myself into.
Old 30 November 2022, 11:53 PM   #21
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
A or B, I go A. But as we grew older and more affluent, we let it rip more.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 11:53 PM   #22
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
is Debt only bad in the scenario ?

If my mortgage is so high that it is a struggle each month, I would not be comfortable

If my mortgage is low enough to be easily paid for (1week salary or less for example) then I wouldn’t consider it a negative) principal would be being paid While equity was being earned and capital remains liquid… this strategy could set you up for option one down the road

Old 30 November 2022, 11:55 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
Thanks everybody for your input. Some very interesting views shared so far.

Indeed seems to me that one's stage in life would be a deciding factor but then it's also where one wants to be, after all.

I left home right after completing my military service obligations, on a small loan, which helped me take my first steps away from the nest, rent my own place and allowed me ample time searching for employment.
That loan amounted, roughly, to a month's salary from my profession.

I was eventually employed, followed a career, paid off the loan, got married and, at some point, ended up with some significant savings in my mid to late twenties.

So I seriously began considering a place of my own on a mortgage and had some quarter million approved for a house that I liked. I never, ever thought of, or counted on, existing family property. Wasn't mine at the time anyway.

I could comfortably pay for my mortgage on monthly basis and perhaps pay off a good part of it rather soon, as the house's price was less than 180K so not all of the approved amount was needed and still had my savings...

Then, the week just before signing, I lost my dad. Which forced me to reconsider. I canceled the purchase, continued to rent while spending a good chunk of my savings repairing and remodeling the family house as well as other taxes, inherited debts, etc.

Looking back, I somewhat regret not pulling the trigger on that house but that was before the 2010 crisis here and quite frankly, I can't help but feel as if I had actually dodged a bullet.

Because although I never intended paying installments for the next three decades, paying off the mortgage in just a few (4) years, was certainly not on the table.

Ever since, I've landed firmly on the 1st camp / school of thought and try to avoid debt at all costs. Even if I'm missing out on some pleasures this life has to offer.
I find it much more liberating not having to put up with things and situations I do not consciously decide getting myself into.
Good for you Basil.

It’s different for everyone for sure. Age / stage, and risk tolerance are the biggest determining factors IMO.

There’s no right or wrong answer, but I’ve met more people who are happier following the first formula later on down the line.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 12:01 AM   #24
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
is Debt only bad in the scenario ?

If my mortgage is so high that it is a struggle each month, I would not be comfortable

If my mortgage is low enough to be easily paid for (1week salary or less for example) then I wouldn’t consider it a negative) principal would be being paid While equity was being earned and capital remains liquid… this strategy could set you up for option one down the road

Very good point. Problem is, many started with something easily payable but ended up with twice the installment and half the salary down the road. That's what happened here. I still think I wouldn't be that unfortunate but can't help but think of the emotional burden of an impending financial disaster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Good for you Basil.

It’s different for everyone for sure. Age / stage, and risk tolerance are the biggest determining factors IMO.

There’s no right or wrong answer, but I’ve met more people who are happier following the first formula later on down the line.
Perhaps that's why I won't be able to achieve anything remarkable. Not everyone is willing or able to take risks and make things work in their favor. Horses for courses, I guess. But I'm okay with that.
Old 1 December 2022, 12:05 AM   #25
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

I find it best to use debt only as a strategic tool (e.g. buying income producing property and your collected rents paying off the debt, or business assets that produce cash flow that pays off the debt.)

I’m not a big fan of using excessive personal debt to fund lifestyle. If you are buying things, you can tire of them pretty easily and take them for granted. Also, there will always be a bigger and better version of whatever thing it is coming out, and the cycle of personal debt continues. Having cash gives you options. Having things ties you down to servicing them.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 12:28 AM   #26
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

These words ring so true for me. I have recently been on a major getting rid of stuff streak and I have never felt more relieved. Not only do I get the same "rush" from selling that I do buying, but I also find that the items I decide to keep I enjoy them that much more.

I am in the modest home, used car & as close to no debt as possible way of thinking. I find this to be a less stressful way to live especially with 2 small kids at home.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 02:19 AM   #27
knyshcollection
2024 Pledge Member

Debt-free!
knyshcollection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 02:29 AM   #28
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Debt isn’t bad. It’s the creditors that need to deal with the pain. So I avoid them. So far they’ve written off over $2,729,819.81 of my Rolex holdings interest or they lose the whole $236,617,172.11 in cars, shoes and cologne I’m upside down on.

Be smart. Borrow to the moon.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 02:46 AM   #29
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
First, as many have said, our attitudes change as we get older. Secondly, few 20-somethings can buy a house for cash. You get into your 50s and 60s and it may be more possible. We here tend to be far above average (IMHO) in income and intelligence.

OK, maybe just in income. LOL
Personally I’m bum average at both. But I got approved for a personal loan, and if Rolex investment prices continue to temporarily decline, it might be enough to buy the dip with a vintage DateJust from the Duty Free on a Carnival cruise ship. Any Pledge Members or financially astute gentlemen have any thoughts on my investment plan?
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 03:03 AM   #30
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
I had no choice when I was young if I wanted a house and a decent vehicle or to pay for college. I always hated debt although it certainly can have it's place in a sound financial plan. I paid off my cc in my early thirties and the only debt I had after that until my mid-forties was my mortgage which I paid off at ~45.

I can safely say at this point in my life that, barring a catastrophe, I will never again owe anyone money and that is worth more to me than any extravagant lifestyle choice, keeping up with the Joneses etc. ever could.