The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 December 2022, 04:35 PM   #31
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
An interesting way to tell time on this watch. And with the 3 sub-dials, AP can work with many other looks/designs on this one.
Each time I see the ceramic middle portion I wonder if AP will ever release a full ceramic Code. However, the construction of the metal component may be too complex to be made with ceramic. But it would be an amazing work of art.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 04:41 PM   #32
sigma089
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, GS, PP
I agree with OP, the classic one was very elegant and showcased a lot of dial and mechanism. The new one puts too much emphasis on the rotating discs rather than an interesting way to tell the time imo.
sigma089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 05:19 PM   #33
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I agree that the old Starwheel was more classic and elegant but I appreciate that AP went into a different direction with it this time around. I think the old Starwheels are still available for those who want that look and for those who want a more contemporary look they can now look forward to the new offering. I personally would love to own both!

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 02:47 AM   #34
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I have a mixed opinion. I love odd complications and appreciate the complexity, uniqueness, call back to heritage and just a fun way to tell time instead of 2 hands.

My only wish is that we could see more of the dial blue area and more gears and workings etc like the older models. Not necessarily the clear disks but some way to see the guts of it in action. The disks are too large and plain vs the rest of the watch.
Old 3 December 2022, 03:22 AM   #35
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Each time I see the ceramic middle portion I wonder if AP will ever release a full ceramic Code. However, the construction of the metal component may be too complex to be made with ceramic. But it would be an amazing work of art.

As it stands no. The technical challenge are the lugs - ceramic lugs would easily snap with even just a small bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 06:58 AM   #36
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
As it stands no. The technical challenge are the lugs - ceramic lugs would easily snap with even just a small bump

That makes sense. Especially when looking at a Code up close, it is the lugs that appear most vulnerable to certain vectors. Thanks for confirming.
Old 3 December 2022, 09:03 AM   #37
ase_sbhwatch
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the interesting & spirited dialogue! Totally agree AP should be applauded for bringing back the Starwheel. But in my mind, the magic of the vintage dial was the transparency of acrylic discs, where the focus was clearly on the top hour number, the others mostly faded into the background. There’s just a lot going on with this new dial that arguably detracts from its former elegance: the different “layers” between the inner bezel and the dial / the little “tab” for the logo / the asymmetrical distance between the top and bottom of the starwheel / the outer seconds not tracking the minute register, i.e., above the 15 is a 55, etc., in roughly the same front size (a retrograde seconds hand would have worked). All of which leaves me wondering if there couldn’t have been a cleaner execution here. Maybe it’ll grow on me.
ase_sbhwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 09:11 AM   #38
chalkflewup
2024 Pledge Member

Cameron Weiss, of Weiss Watch Co., a former AP technician and AP semi-historian, used to have a great Youtube program/Podcast, and his favorite quote of mine, when a watch got too visually complicated was ...."what time is it????". That was my first thought when seeing this, but still, I love the history behind it
chalkflewup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 12:54 PM   #39
CV997
"TRF" Member

I like the new Starwheel and appreciate AP gut in newly design to mixed vintage and modern design together, the previous one have transparent disc which hate or love by your perception

New Starwheel have aventurine glass to stress Star meaning, opaque disc looks more real wheels than clear disc

White gold and ceramic inserts case are great

I put my interest with the AP house and wish it will not be a long wait list
CV997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 01:53 PM   #40
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Looks great but 57 k seems steep.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2022, 01:45 AM   #41
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkflewup View Post
Cameron Weiss, of Weiss Watch Co., a former AP technician and AP semi-historian, used to have a great Youtube program/Podcast, and his favorite quote of mine, when a watch got too visually complicated was ...."what time is it????". That was my first thought when seeing this, but still, I love the history behind it
Well, I have to be honest, I agree. If a complicated watch means you can't read the time, then it's just poor design (unless it is ultra-complicated, for the sake of ultra-complicated, ala some of Patek's offerings).

That said, I disagree that the Starwheel is hard to tell the time. Once you know how to read it, I think as a complication it is rather legible as far as telling the time.

The sapphire/clear disks did help with this, however, by hididng the non-hour hours.
Old 4 December 2022, 01:46 AM   #42
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
Looks great but 57 k seems steep.
I think it is fairly priced. It is similar to original pricing IIRC in the 90s, and more importantly, have you seen what you get from Patek for 57k?

Solid offering at the price IMO for a true high-end and elite manufacturer.
Old 5 December 2022, 12:33 AM   #43
ajw99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
Well, I have to be honest, I agree. If a complicated watch means you can't read the time, then it's just poor design (unless it is ultra-complicated, for the sake of ultra-complicated, ala some of Patek's offerings).

That said, I disagree that the Starwheel is hard to tell the time. Once you know how to read it, I think as a complication it is rather legible as far as telling the time.

The sapphire/clear disks did help with this, however, by hididng the non-hour hours.
If legibility / clarity is an issue, I just won't touch that watch. If it's legible (clear numbers, good hand vs dial contrast, etc.) but presents a new way to represent / read the time, that's different and its appeal would depend on the specific design concept for me. That being said, I really like this new Star Wheel and look forward to future variations that AP creates.
ajw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2022, 05:53 AM   #44
Watchwoody
"TRF" Member

The question is how hard will it be to get?
Watchwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2022, 06:02 AM   #45
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

It looks awesome. AP did an excellent job on this new reference. I would love to own one of these someday. Unique complication, awesome and intricate case and crystal design. I would enjoy looking down at this one every time.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2022, 06:13 AM   #46
LUDA
"TRF" Member

I think it's one of the best Code 11.59, if not the best. This and the latests tourbillons they introduced on the line I think is their way to go.

This is a great way to move on a little bit from the Royal Oak, and that's a good thing.
LUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 02:09 AM   #47
Zazzles
"TRF" Member

What have you all heard about difficulty in. Procuring one?
I bought a code 3 hander so maybe that'll be favorable for me? I absolutely love it. Stunning piece and reasonably priced, I had been expecting 100k+
Zazzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 02:17 AM   #48
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

New star wheel looks great!
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 03:46 AM   #49
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazzles View Post
What have you all heard about difficulty in. Procuring one?
I bought a code 3 hander so maybe that'll be favorable for me? I absolutely love it. Stunning piece and reasonably priced, I had been expecting 100k+
I was told by my boutique that they got more inquiries about it than any RO they released this year. I also have a three hander Code and was told it would be pretty difficult.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 05:51 AM   #50
gregouille
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
I was told by my boutique that they got more inquiries about it than any RO they released this year. I also have a three hander Code and was told it would be pretty difficult.

If true that’s crazy…
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 07:36 AM   #51
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I think the starwheel is incredible, I’d add a custom strap to make it even more special.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 09:26 AM   #52
Watchandhoop
"TRF" Member

I would love the opportunity to get one. I think it’s very well priced, I was surprised to see it not in the 80s. I think they are doing great with the code line, and I will add a code to the collection one day.
Watchandhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 12:41 PM   #53
aldyrifqi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
same AP HK told me the same so many people requested for that
aldyrifqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 12:44 PM   #54
Armis
"TRF" Member

Having seen more wrist pics of this great piece, my only gripe is that the number discs appear a little bit too big such that they overwhelm/take up so much dial real estate and limit the amount of visible aventurine dial.
Still, it is a great piece that I’d love to have in a collection.
Old 18 December 2022, 10:45 AM   #55
MGI22
"TRF" Member

Saw the watch at the Art Basel. It's incredible in person. Hope to pick one up in 2023.
MGI22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2022, 04:25 AM   #56
Reign
"TRF" Member

New AP CODE Starwheel?

Got a chance to give a marketing piece a spin. It’s lovely - hoping I get an allocation

Bonus pic of another marketing piece

Old 30 December 2022, 12:45 PM   #57
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post

Got a chance to give a marketing piece a spin. It’s lovely - hoping I get an allocation

Bonus pic of another marketing piece

I had these exact watches on a few weeks ago haha
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2022, 11:17 PM   #58
Spin27
"TRF" Member

I absolutely love this! Quick question though, from the pic the stars on the screw heads appear dark but from other images I’ve seen they have more of a white gold look. Was this just the reflection?
Spin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2022, 01:32 AM   #59
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Wow. That is awesome.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2022, 03:36 AM   #60
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin27 View Post
I absolutely love this! Quick question though, from the pic the stars on the screw heads appear dark but from other images I’ve seen they have more of a white gold look. Was this just the reflection?

I had a look at a video I looked and it didn’t seem blacked out (or mirror polished)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk