The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 November 2022, 02:02 AM   #1
aa909
Banned

Are allocations improving at Boutiques?

Planning another visit with my SA over the holidays to discuss potential allocations for 2023. Interested to learn their feedback in terms of how they see availability for next year. What are other's hearing from their SA's?
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 03:10 AM   #2
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

Yes. Much improved. High complications and jumbos are still rare. Everything else flows much easier.
JettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 03:45 AM   #3
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Improved yes but that doesn't mean they want you to believe that. They are going to milk this for as long as possible and get you to buy other things first before blessing you with what you actually want!
Old 17 November 2022, 03:56 AM   #4
scottywein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Improved yes but that doesn't mean they want you to believe that. They are going to milk this for as long as possible and get you to buy other things first before blessing you with what you actually want!
I get that strategy, I've been waiting on a watch since 2019 and it's been discontinued. That said watch is basically at retail + tax and continuing to drop. My end goal is to build a relationship with the boutique. I've bought on the secondary market before and have had my services done at the boutique. New SA recently reached out a few months ago to meet.

At this point, I am going to be transparent and say, I know allocations aren't guaranteed and I've been waiting for a number of years but the ROC I'm interested in is at retail and I'm close to purchasing. I want to build a relationship with you but if it's not feasible then at least I know to just buy on the secondary market instead of wasting my time...or something along those lines.

If they want to continue to allocate to the same people over and over again with extensive purchase history I totally get it and don't fault them. I'm not going to purchase a new watch every year but maybe every other or every few years. I'd love to get something engraved on the watch to show that I won't flip it but I don't feel I need to make concessions like that to get one.

Even buying a code to get a new ROC 50th Anniversary watch is much more expensive than just buying it on the grey market now.
scottywein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 04:04 AM   #5
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

My SA tells me flat out, if I want high comp, 2023 or later. No game. Almost everyone here putting in some effort with SAs gets a nice ROI. Ever since transition to boutique, much less bullshit.

2022 was particularly challenging due to 50th releases and hosts of external factors. Lots of major incomings lately, both here and irl, around my circle. Good news for everyone.

If you haven’t gotten an allocation yet. YOURS IS COMING. I’m willing to bet on it.

Patek, on the other hand, is airtight and slammed shut.

Every thread needs photos.
Old 17 November 2022, 04:08 AM   #6
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
Planning another visit with my SA over the holidays to discuss potential allocations for 2023. Interested to learn their feedback in terms of how they see availability for next year. What are other's hearing from their SA's?
Was invited to come in to the boutique a few weeks ago by my SA to talk shop and update my list and was told that my desire for a 15510 (non-anniversary) should be doable in the next year. Quite a difference from a few months ago when I was told I'd be lucky to get the opportunity to buy a 3 hander CODE.

So, yes, relatively speaking allocations are getting easier (depending on which model you are after).
psm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 04:41 AM   #7
scottywein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm11 View Post
Was invited to come in to the boutique a few weeks ago by my SA to talk shop and update my list and was told that my desire for a 15510 (non-anniversary) should be doable in the next year. Quite a difference from a few months ago when I was told I'd be lucky to get the opportunity to buy a 3 hander CODE.

So, yes, relatively speaking allocations are getting easier (depending on which model you are after).
I always wanted a 26331 Black Dial w/ Silver Sub Dial. Now the closest is ROC Black Dial and knowing my luck I'd purchase the 26331 and in a few weeks get a call for the new version...just want to to be a straight shooter with the SA.

I've noticed a tremendous amount of 50 Anniv. watches on secondary market recently. Greys are getting directly from Boutique or people just flipping immediately. Either way the dam has been broken for a while.
Old 17 November 2022, 04:42 AM   #8
scottywein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettyOne View Post
My SA tells me flat out, if I want high comp, 2023 or later. No game. Almost everyone here putting in some effort with SAs gets a nice ROI. Ever since transition to boutique, much less bullshit.

2022 was particularly challenging due to 50th releases and hosts of external factors. Lots of major incomings lately, both here and irl, around my circle. Good news for everyone.

If you haven’t gotten an allocation yet. YOURS IS COMING. I’m willing to bet on it.

Nice watches...do you like the Apple Watch Ultra haha
Old 17 November 2022, 04:55 AM   #9
aa909
Banned

Quote:

As for Patek being air tight, multiple 5811s have hit the grays this week at $200K so there’s a leak at those ADs LOL!
Old 17 November 2022, 06:14 AM   #10
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottywein View Post
Nice watches...do you like the Apple Watch Ultra haha
I don’t own any smart watches. They are great for their intended purpose. Truth is they give me anxiety. This has been the 3rd time this year my physician “recommended” one to me. I’ll wait till he forces it on me. Got a few years left.

That Ultra is comically large. An iPad on the wrist. Waiting for a “no screen” option from Apple. Maybe a comfortable bracelet to track vitals, without any intrusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
As for Patek being air tight, multiple 5811s have hit the grays this week at $200K so there’s a leak at those ADs LOL!

Yeah. Saw those. $200k isn’t terrible, I guess this reflects current market. An even trade to a 992 GT3. Lol. If the guy can get an 5811 this early, he’ll get Nautilus complications eventually.

But here’s my gripe with Patek. They shut down ADs too rapidly, and left those clients in the cold. I’m freezing!! SF/Bay Area guys won’t believe in Santa no more.

The only “safe” bet for Patek… is Tiffany’s. Till Patek erects their own boutiques, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 November 2022, 07:48 AM   #11
Watchandhoop
"TRF" Member

I definitely think it’s possible to establish an relationship at an AD. Need to find the right boutique/right SA. You don’t have to buy a code.
Watchandhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 07:55 AM   #12
aa909
Banned

Quote:
I don’t own any smart watches. They are great for their intended purpose. Truth is they give me anxiety. This has been the 3rd time this year my physician “recommended” one to me. I’ll wait till he forces it on me. Got a few years left.

That Ultra is comically large. An iPad on the wrist. Waiting for a “no screen” option from Apple. Maybe a comfortable bracelet to track vitals, without any intrusion.

Yeah. Saw those. $200k isn’t terrible, I guess this reflects current market. An even trade to a 992 GT3. Lol. If the guy can get an 5811 this early, he’ll get Nautilus complications eventually.

But here’s my gripe with Patek. They shut down ADs too rapidly, and left those clients in the cold. I’m freezing!! SF/Bay Area guys won’t believe in Santa no more.

The only “safe” bet for Patek… is Tiffany’s. Till Patek erects their own boutiques, I guess.

Yup, shreves losing their Patek license was a blow for watch collectors.
Old 22 November 2022, 11:21 PM   #13
Fifteen
Banned

Yes. In my opinion, a steel RO can be obtained with no history (but with some basic relationship building, such as stopping by etc and texting occasionally) within 12 months or so. Purchase and offshore, and that probability within 12 months goes to 75%. Purchase a code, and get a steel RO within 12 months guaranteed, probably within 3-6 months after code purchase. Made all these numbers up for illustration
Fifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 11:54 PM   #14
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

I was asked today if I'd be interested in a RG Code chrono, wasn't what I had on my list and really hoping for a ROC so I politely turned it down. Was told it wouldn't affect my chances of getting a watch so fingers crossed that things will get better next year.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 01:12 AM   #15
H_UK
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400
I am in regular contact with my SA in London, from what I hear allocations are not improving...
Old 23 November 2022, 04:15 AM   #16
dmash
"TRF" Member

Of course they're improving with prices falling off a cliff Only makes sense as anybody who has been around the last few years can safely assume more than half the 'lists' were just flippers anyways.

I've gotten 2 calls (Non-AP) in the last two weeks actually. AP probably soon enough.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 06:09 AM   #17
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_UK View Post
I am in regular contact with my SA in London, from what I hear allocations are not improving...
Interesting because I hear the exact opposite (depending on what piece you are looking for) from my SA.

Given the current secondary market prices of ROOs and Codes (going for well below retail) there is no way those allocations are not improving.
psm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 06:20 AM   #18
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Of course they're improving with prices falling off a cliff Only makes sense as anybody who has been around the last few years can safely assume more than half the 'lists' were just flippers anyways.

I've gotten 2 calls (Non-AP) in the last two weeks actually. AP probably soon enough.

What is your direct experience of the Uk watch market please?
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 06:25 AM   #19
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
I have it on good authority I keep missing out on new watches because GS93108 and GW44 keep taking my watches.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 06:27 AM   #20
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I have it on good authority I keep missing out on new watches because GS93108 and GW44 keep taking my watches.
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 06:30 AM   #21
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Codes on the grey market are basically 40% off retail, Why anyone would buy direct from boutique baffles me
The days of buy this to get that are well and truely over, the party has come to a full stop.
SA will now see who was there for the love of the watches or the fast buck
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 06:32 AM   #22
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why would anybody be pinpointing the UK market? I never said I have experience with such? The UK has been the worst place to buy watches for years (in excess of COVID times) due to the exchange rate and misaligned MSRP.

Quite frankly the UK shouldn’t even be included with allocation times in general due to this insane discrepancy.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 09:49 PM   #23
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Old 23 November 2022, 09:55 PM   #24
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why would anybody be pinpointing the UK market? I never said I have experience with such? The UK has been the worst place to buy watches for years (in excess of COVID times) due to the exchange rate and misaligned MSRP.

Quite frankly the UK shouldn’t even be included with allocation times in general due to this insane discrepancy.

Because post #15 was from a UK member (H_UK) about the UK market for people that live here. Your reply (post #16) was to the point H_UK made so I asked what you specifically knew about the AP/Watch market here.
Old 23 November 2022, 10:09 PM   #25
fatcows7
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC / AP
Quote:
Because post #15 was from a UK member (H_UK) about the UK market for people that live here. Your reply (post #16) was to the point H_UK made so I asked what you specifically knew about the AP/Watch market here.
Have you had an update from AP House?
fatcows7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 04:59 AM   #26
scottywein
"TRF" Member

I think so. Seeing a lot more brand new on the market. Once I get mine, then I'll officially say they're improved haha
Old 24 November 2022, 10:59 AM   #27
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pretty sure this is why I can’t get my Jumbo 😂😂
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 06:23 AM   #28
pandapanda01
Banned

I am looking to purchase a new/never worn AP 50th anniversary model form a third party. I was hoping it would have the factory stickers/tape still on. However, I was told by the seller that AP boutiques "make the buyer walk out with the watch on" without stickers. Anyone know if this is accurate or if I am getting jerked around?
pandapanda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2022, 05:06 AM   #29
Jay66
"TRF" Member

I always liked the code, and have one incoming this month. I also would like a Steel RO, should I bring it up as soon as I pick up the code or wait a bit, or does it not matter?
Jay66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2022, 06:24 AM   #30
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandapanda01 View Post
I am looking to purchase a new/never worn AP 50th anniversary model form a third party. I was hoping it would have the factory stickers/tape still on. However, I was told by the seller that AP boutiques "make the buyer walk out with the watch on" without stickers. Anyone know if this is accurate or if I am getting jerked around?

Depends on the boutique but the majority will strip it down before you walk out

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote