The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 31 July 2020, 08:10 AM   #1
cryptorx
"TRF" Member

Chances of finding a 15450 blue dial

Hi, I was wondering what you all think of the chances I can find a 15450 blue dial from an authorized dealer in SoCal. I am a healthcare provider who has been busting my butt the past few months with everything going on, and I thought it would be nice to treat myself for it. I love watches and have done my research for a few years now, I think this is the right time but it seems like it is hard to find, with a limited amount made and distributed and a long waitlist each year. I was between a Patek and an AP and have decided after a few years of research to go with an AP. I am not looking to resell or anything, and truly enjoy the craftsmanship that goes into this particular model.

I've called a few AP dealers around my area, one of them said my best bet is to establish a relationship by buying other models first. But I am just looking for my one timepiece that I'll cherish forever, this being the model. Plus it would be nice for a lady to be able to model this piece for once! Thank you ahead of time for suggestions!
cryptorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 12:45 PM   #2
Watchristic
"TRF" Member

If it’s just one piece you’re interested in I’d say save the time and try to find one online with reasonable premium, usually the private sellers offer good deals. Meanwhile reach out to the boutiques and register your interest in case your luck strikes

Best of luck
Watchristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 02:28 PM   #3
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Just get a 15400, and skip the blue, there are three other beautiful colors. If I were to buy one now, taking out the hype, and was to pay over retail (which you will have to) I would actually pay more for those 3 colors. It's ridiculous what internet forums and social media accounts have perpetuated the last few years when it comes to watches, models, colors, hype, hot pieces, demand, etc.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 02:52 PM   #4
Lo0o0o0n
"TRF" Member

If a relationship with the boutique does not hold much value to you and this will be your one and only watch, the premium for the 15450st blue dials on the secondary market are not that crazy to consider.
Lo0o0o0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 02:52 PM   #5
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
just get a 15400, and skip the blue, there are three other beautiful colors. If i were to buy one now, taking out the hype, and was to pay over retail (which you will have to) i would actually pay more for those 3 colors. It's ridiculous what internet forums and social media accounts have perpetuated the last few years when it comes to watches, models, colors, hype, hot pieces, demand, etc.

+1
Old 31 July 2020, 03:09 PM   #6
Ramiks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo0o0o0n View Post
If a relationship with the boutique does not hold much value to you and this will be your one and only watch, the premium for the 15450st blue dials on the secondary market are not that crazy to consider.
+1

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
Old 31 July 2020, 03:11 PM   #7
S2000_driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptorx View Post
Hi, I was wondering what you all think of the chances I can find a 15450 blue dial from an authorized dealer in SoCal. I am a healthcare provider who has been busting my butt the past few months with everything going on, and I thought it would be nice to treat myself for it. I love watches and have done my research for a few years now, I think this is the right time but it seems like it is hard to find, with a limited amount made and distributed and a long waitlist each year. I was between a Patek and an AP and have decided after a few years of research to go with an AP. I am not looking to resell or anything, and truly enjoy the craftsmanship that goes into this particular model.

I've called a few AP dealers around my area, one of them said my best bet is to establish a relationship by buying other models first. But I am just looking for my one timepiece that I'll cherish forever, this being the model. Plus it would be nice for a lady to be able to model this piece for once! Thank you ahead of time for suggestions!
Since blue dials are boutique exclusive, your local option is Beverly Hills. I would never deal with them. From what I've read/heard, corporate owned boutiques like the ones in NYC are very good to work with. Even those boutiques will probably not sell you a blue one if you don't have a "relationship".

Not sure if you got to see the other colors in person. They are all quite stunning. PM me if you are willing to put down a deposit with a SoCal AD and are willing to wait several months for any of the non-blue models. I will be glad to refer you to someone I've worked with. Good luck with your search. Hope the virus situation gets better soon and you find some respite at work.
S2000_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 04:09 PM   #8
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Just get a 15400, and skip the blue, there are three other beautiful colors. If I were to buy one now, taking out the hype, and was to pay over retail (which you will have to) I would actually pay more for those 3 colors. It's ridiculous what internet forums and social media accounts have perpetuated the last few years when it comes to watches, models, colors, hype, hot pieces, demand, etc.
Given OP is female and interested in a 15450, there’s a pretty decent change the 15400 will be way too big for her.
Old 31 July 2020, 04:49 PM   #9
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
Given OP is female and interested in a 15450, there’s a pretty decent change the 15400 will be way too big for her.
In this she need roo 44mm lol how do you know she is female? Wasn’t apparent to me
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 05:46 PM   #10
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
In this she need roo 44mm lol how do you know she is female? Wasn’t apparent to me
Maybe she edited her post, I didn't see it on first read. I think her chances of landing an RO just went way up, which one of you guys gonna step it up??

OP Any color 15450 should be good, Goodluck
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 06:12 PM   #11
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
Quote:
hi, i was wondering what you all think of the chances i can find a 15450 blue dial from an authorized dealer in socal. I am a healthcare provider who has been busting my butt the past few months with everything going on, and i thought it would be nice to treat myself for it. I love watches and have done my research for a few years now, i think this is the right time but it seems like it is hard to find, with a limited amount made and distributed and a long waitlist each year. I was between a patek and an ap and have decided after a few years of research to go with an ap. I am not looking to resell or anything, and truly enjoy the craftsmanship that goes into this particular model.

I've called a few ap dealers around my area, one of them said my best bet is to establish a relationship by buying other models first. But i am just looking for my one timepiece that i'll cherish forever, this being the model. Plus it would be nice for a lady to be able to model this piece for once! Thank you ahead of time for suggestions!
From my experience ADs tend to hide/offer the more hype watches to established clients. My local AP AD is a RM dealer as well and if someone buys a RM they already have a nice purchase history even though its one piece.
Boutiques tend to deal with F2F clients. My Ap boutique says they get multiple calls a day from all over asking for a blue 15500/15450. And they essentially just say sorry we don’t have it, bye bye
As Porsche said above, go into older models 15400/15300 and look into other colors besides blue. I have a blue 15450 but got lucky, and have established relationships. The silver dial is amazing, white looks fantastic, Black even has a blueish hue in certain light. You’ll pay over retail for any RO on grey but you can save some cash going back a few years and looking at the models I mentioned above.
Next best option is go to a AP boutique if you can and wait until January to see if you can maybe get one next year or year after
As Porsche said above, take a look at some other models
Old 31 July 2020, 09:21 PM   #12
TooWoundUp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:

So you have a couple of options:

If you are set on a 15450 blue you can hope to get luck from an AD (very unlikely), buy a bunch of PM and jewelry pieces to build a relationship or go to a grey dealer. The biggest compromise between money and time would be going grey. For a blue dial, the markup is between 8-10k USD over MSRP. I'd be happy to recommend some greys if you decide to go down that route

I would like to note that other dial colors are available for the 15450. The silver/white dial in particular is beautifiul and can be had for about MSRP on the second hand market. I am assuming 41mm would be too large for you?
TooWoundUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 10:51 AM   #13
cryptorx
"TRF" Member

Hello everyone! I would first like to say thank you for all the responses, the input has been so helpful. And S2000_driver I really appreciate the offer to refer me to a SoCal AD, I might take you up on that! And thank you TooWoundUp for offering to recommend some greys. I am considering that as well.

Yes, I have thought about the 15400-- it is beautiful however too big for me as my wrist size falls at just about 6.0". I have also thought about going the other way toward a 77350st, however I've tried on 34mm before and it runs a little small for my liking. All beautiful models though! I have tried on a Patek 5167 and even that 40mm runs a little big on me. I just love the 3120 movement and am looking for the one piece that flies just under the radar enough with its stainless steel for me to wear with my white coat to see patients every day with for the next 10-20 years (and more), yet has the flare of the blue dial. I have found my one timepiece that I look forward to enjoying forever, but now just need to find an AD that has it!

Thank you again for all the replies and suggestions :)
Old 1 August 2020, 12:02 PM   #14
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
OP what’s your wrist size? Have you considered the new 34mm references? The 77351st could be a great fit for you, blue dial and also with the added bling of the diamond bezel. Not much more expensive either. I’m sure they are easier to get as well. Good luck!
Sg6067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 01:05 PM   #15
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
For a lady, I think you can go for 15451st which it looks like 15450st but have diamonds around the bezel. 15451st is easier to obtain from the boutique or you can get from grey with very little premium.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 01:48 PM   #16
cryptorx
"TRF" Member

deleted duplicate post

Last edited by cryptorx; 1 August 2020 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: delete post
Old 1 August 2020, 07:55 PM   #17
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello everyone! I would first like to say thank you for all the responses, the input has been so helpful. And S2000_driver I really appreciate the offer to refer me to a SoCal AD, I might take you up on that! And thank you TooWoundUp for offering to recommend some greys. I am considering that as well.

Yes, I have thought about the 15400-- it is beautiful however too big for me as my wrist size falls at just about 6.0". I have also thought about going the other way toward a 77350st, however I've tried on 34mm before and it runs a little small for my liking. All beautiful models though! I have tried on a Patek 5167 and even that 40mm runs a little big on me. I just love the 3120 movement and am looking for the one piece that flies just under the radar enough with its stainless steel for me to wear with my white coat to see patients every day with for the next 10-20 years (and more), yet has the flare of the blue dial. I have found my one timepiece that I look forward to enjoying forever, but now just need to find an AD that has it!

Thank you again for all the replies and suggestions :)
Sorry OP I did not see this reply from you before commenting! Please disregard my suggestion of 77350 then. In this case I agree with what Benzsiam said maybe 15451 could be an easier to find option which still has a blue dial. I’m on the east coast so I’m unfamiliar with the boutique in SoCal. However I will say it is my experience that AP appreciates their clients stories and you have a great one! Make a connection with an SA. As many will tell you, if you are open to the other colors it dramatically increases your odds of getting a watch. 15450 is an allocation piece in any color and since you want blue if further decreases your odds. Each boutique gets very few (I’ve been told around 7 (Ekwity)) on a normal year. On top of that COVID has limited production further so it’s anyone’s guess. Imagine choosing only 7 lucky clients for the year with all the wealthy clients they must have in SoCal. By now their allocation slots are filled for this year so it’s likely you would need to shoot for January.
A separate bit of advice; the RO is under the radar in the sense that many people you see probably won’t know what it is or how much it costs. However it is a very flashy watch (It looks expensive) that people are going to notice. It is also not the best daily wearer watch for a hands on job. Good luck!
Old 13 August 2020, 06:59 AM   #18
cryptorx
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for your help! After much thought I actually decided that a silver/white dial would be better suited for me, as I like the versatility of it and just how clean it looks (although I still have much appreciation for the blue, especially on men!). Luckily it was easier to get my hands on the one I wanted. And I am super thankful for the sales associates out there who offered to help me find a blue dial despite no prior history. Ultimately Nick at East Hampton came through with excellent service, answered all my questions and concerns, and had the piece I wanted. I love my new Royal Oak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 August 2020, 07:08 AM   #19
C_Troy242
"TRF" Member

Wow, that was quick. Great choice!
C_Troy242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 07:14 AM   #20
m56
Banned

It certainly looks good too. Congratulations.
m56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 08:37 AM   #21
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Congratulations, looks great! Glad it all worked out for you
Old 13 August 2020, 12:04 PM   #22
60sec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126500, AP RO
Beautiful! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
60sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 02:07 PM   #23
sgfortino
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nerd
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your help! After much thought I actually decided that a silver/white dial would be better suited for me, as I like the versatility of it and just how clean it looks (although I still have much appreciation for the blue, especially on men!). Luckily it was easier to get my hands on the one I wanted. And I am super thankful for the sales associates out there who offered to help me find a blue dial despite no prior history. Ultimately Nick at East Hampton came through with excellent service, answered all my questions and concerns, and had the piece I wanted. I love my new Royal Oak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats! Looks awesome.

Not to enable (much) but I also have similar sized wrists and found the 5167 a bit big. If you find yourself searching out another, take a look at the 5165. Same style as 5167 but at 38mm. Fits my 6” wrist perfectly.
sgfortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 12:49 AM   #24
cryptorx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfortino View Post
Congrats! Looks awesome.

Not to enable (much) but I also have similar sized wrists and found the 5167 a bit big. If you find yourself searching out another, take a look at the 5165. Same style as 5167 but at 38mm. Fits my 6” wrist perfectly.
I love that watch. I got an offer for that a year ago for 19k in good condition. Now the grey market is double that!
Old 15 August 2020, 02:31 AM   #25
dauster
"TRF" Member

good for you and congrats... probably been a tough couple of month given that you work in healthcare! so good for you! looks great
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote