The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 August 2020, 08:23 PM   #1
Lordkuroda
"TRF" Member

Purchasing an AP without Warranty Card

Hi all, I have been collecting Rolex timepieces but this would be my first time getting into the AP scene, and I have set my eyes on the 26315ST with blue sub dials.

I chanced upon a like-new 26315ST in blue dial at a pretty reasonable price, it comes with full-set less the warranty card. Upon checking the serial number with my local service centre, it shows that the watch is indeed registered in AP's system and they will honour the warranty even without a warranty card.

As for authentication, I can probably choose to authenticate the watch with a local watchmaker.

Would like to seek opinions if I should proceed with the deal? Would the lack of warranty card be a deal breaker for you?

Looking forward to hear all your opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Lordkuroda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 10:40 PM   #2
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Normally when you register your watch at AP website, they will ask for Serial No. & Warranty No. on your warranty card.

You need to ask the seller that why he didn't have the warranty card? He lost the warranty card or it never had it from the original purchase.

SA at AD told me that if the watch came directly from real grey market, it will not have AP warranty, they will have their own warranty. If something go wrong with the watch you can send to the original grey dealer for free repair under their own warranty period. If you send to AP service center, you will have to pay for that repair service.

If the seller lost his warranty card, ask him about the warranty number (he might took a photo and kept it as document before he lost that warranty card).

If you have the warranty card number, you can register at AP website under your name.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 12:21 AM   #3
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Personally, I wouldn't buy an AP without the warranty card (or if I just had to have that specific watch, I'd want an appreciable discount). But, that's just my personal position because I wouldn't want to have to deal with the potential hassles.

What Benzsiam just posted above me I think outlines some of the hassles that you may experience should you ever need service in the 5 year period. In addition, if you ever want parts or anything, an AD or Clearwater may ask for a picture of the warranty card. Not having it is just going to make everything more difficult.

In terms of the warranty itself, I feel that any watch that is verified to be an AP is under warranty and you wouldn't ever have to pay for service, even if it had to go to Clearwater. The warranty follows the watch. I can't imagine any scenario where you have a legitimate AP and having to pay for a covered repair within the warranty period (2 years standard, or 5 years extended). This said, I can almost guarantee you it will be more painful than it needs to be if you don't have the card.
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 03:21 AM   #4
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
SA at AD told me that if the watch came directly from real grey market, it will not have AP warranty, they will have their own warranty.
I have to correct this assumption as I have never bought through an AD, most came with all documents and all my APs are officially registered with AP. For the few pieces that did not have all the paperwork, it was a fairly simple process getting both authentication papers re-issued or having service done for pieces under warranty or not. For years ADs would always claim that only buying through them could you get the full 5 year warranty, which I also found out was totally false and just a shame that ADs will flat out lie to get business, they still do this. Thought they were supposed to be the ones above deception and shady sales ploys.

That said, if you have your serial number and the watch checked out with AP you should be solid.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 04:08 AM   #5
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
What is that reasonable price ?
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 05:10 AM   #6
UK AP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
A quick search on C24 shows many available all with papers etc, I personally wouldn’t with out papers, but that’s just me.
UK AP is offline   Reply With Quote